Cher appears to leave Twitter after voicing support for anti-gay pastor

1. I know Twitter is limited to 140 characters, but that’s no excuse to write like a 12 year old doing text speak. Cringe!

And yeah, this just isn’t on – no, Cher, we can’t all be friends and actually some people need to be opposed not embraced.

1. She is dyslexic.

1. I’m talking about her tone and her use of 2 instead of to and ALlTthis CRAZy Way of WRITING!

I’m not an expert but I don’t think that’s anything to do with dyslexia.

2. Not from the evidence of her tweets.

2. Joel Osteen gets no praise until he recants his homophobic remarks. His saying LGBT people are not God’s best work is anti-Christian. Could you imagine Jesus saying that? Sorry, Cher, but I see no reason to cut any pastors any slack who espouse bigotry and hateful words that can so easily lead towards an atmosphere of bullying.

3. I find it highly unlikely that Cher actually wrote those tweets, she doesn’t strike me as the kind of woman who would resort to juvenile language!

On the other side, if it was indeed she who sent the tweets then she should be ashamed of herself for supporting someone who is so blatantly homophobic!

1. It does seem out of character for someone who made guest appearances on Will and Grace and has a trans son.
      I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt for now, but if it someone hacked her account she should make that clear, otherwise we can only assume she agrees with what was written.

1. Indeed!

2. she was just stoned and not being very circumspect

1. I must admit to being astounded as well, given how cross she was when people were nasty about the aforementioned son appearing on Dancing With The Stars.

4. That There Other David 3 Jul 2012, 2:33pm

I really truly honestly don’t get this fascination with the likes of Facebook and Twitter. Seriously, am I the only one who finds the whole thing just embarrassing?

1. You don’t get it or you don’t like it? There’s a difference

Some people get pleasure out of being fans or people like Cher and facebook/twitter allows them to get more personal updates/know them a bit better/feel closer to them.

Simple enough!

2. I’m with you TTOD. The majority of tweets are thoroughly inane. And getting photos of someone’s lunch on FB may have some marginal appeal for a food stylist, but it definitely doesn’t grab me.

5. she had a complete and utter meltdown because one GBLT person had the audacity to mildly correct her? Really?

Is she an ally or does she just expect us to be her fawning pets?

1. she doesn’t care as long as you buy her albums.

6. Joel Osteen happens to have dove eyes and a soft voice but he’s still a fundamentalist Christian. And he’s doing enormous harm with his bigotry. Why do people fall for this?

1. Osteen is not even a fundamentalist! He is an evangelical opportunitist pushing a bogus prosperity gospel that is totally unscriptural. He promises wealth and success to those who claim prosperity in Jesus’ name. According to the prosperity gospel hucksters, like Creflo Dollar and Joel Osteen, God is contractually bound to give wealth to those who demand it … and who incidentally give financial support to the prosperity ministries. Osteen comes across as a really nice guy, and hence Cher’s susceptibility to his feel-good message. But his bogus version of Xianity is a self serving and venal enterprise…
      He is a false teachers grinning and pretending to represent God’s true message. Joel Osteen’s alluring media image is nothing more than a toothpaste commercial for his bank account.

7. Paul.Essex/London 3 Jul 2012, 3:06pm

Weird. Just thoroughly weird.

8. I’m more shocked that Cher has such bad grammar.
    When all these people die and nothing welcomes them to some pearly imagined kingdom, they’ll realise then how stupid they’ve been then.
    As for Joel Osteen, an insect with backward views, he is not worth thinking about. Getting his five minutes of “controversy”. Meh.

1. Ian are you totally bonkers… if there are no pearly gates… ie life after death… then they aren’t going to know how stupid they were, because they will be dead ie cessation of brain activity and consciousness.

9. Bet she wishes she could turn back time…

10. Jock S. Trap 3 Jul 2012, 4:00pm

I think this is just a case of putting brain into gear after pressing enter. She didn’t think and I think she clearly understands that.

Joel Osteen on the other hand…. what a prick! Well I tell him, maybe his life would be far better being less judgemental, less bigoted and more expecting of those around who truly love.

11. Jim Fields Nashville tn 3 Jul 2012, 4:03pm

cher can write her beliefs and feelings just as we can .. and that osteen person isnt a christian .. a christian follows the teachings of Jesus Christ . he is another money hungry man who uses what he calls “his faith” to live well .. and to preach hate against us ..
    anyone who thinks he can be changed dont understand men like like dont want to be changed .. they love it . stirring the pot so to speak . to put money in their pockets .

12. Maybe she didn’t know that he is a bigot? I mean there are so many vile bigots out there it’s impossible to know all of them.

And twitter is not the place for long analysis and deep understanding.

Cher is a strong ally to the LGBT community – her son is trans and her fanbase is largely LGBT.

I’d give her the benefit of the doubt

1. I hope I’m right.

I regularly thank Cher for the good things in my life – thanking ‘god’ is not a possibility afer all.

13. Joel Osteen is a savvy business man who built an enormously successful mega church. He sat on the fence for a while aboutngay issues, but when that was clearly an unsustainable position he adopted the position that being gat was not god’s best.
    Tangentially, his whole prosperity gospel message is unscriptural and a cynical calculation to maximize the size of his bleating flock.

1. sorry for the typos…. gat=gay
      ipad keyboard really sucks sometimes

14. Paul Williams 3 Jul 2012, 6:15pm

It is nice to see the real face behind the fake smiley face of Joel Osteen. Cher has never been my role model even though I like her music. Bigotry in America likes to look good, but that just ain’t gonna happen.

15. she was probably stoned when she read Osteen rubbishy book and got carried away by the kumbaya moment
    forgive and forget I say, unless she puts up a defense of Osteen’s anti-gay posturing

16. GingerlyColors 3 Jul 2012, 7:14pm

Cher should know better than endorse poo like that. As well as being the mother of a transexual son herself, she won an Oscar for the playing the part of a mother of a son who lived with facial deformities in the film ‘Mask’. People in her position should be a touch more tolerant.

17. I can make very little time for people who seemingly support bigots!!! I wonder what Chaz thinks?

18. Obviously her twit was hacked.
    This shouldn’t be taken seriously.

1. Dream on. Easy enough to issue a disclaimer in that case. Has she done that? No? Then she said it. Very loyal of you, though.

19. Oh dear. I think we have a drama queen.

I hesitate to hold her responsible for her words says since she appears only to lOG ONto TwiTTer When mortALly p*sSeD.

20. friday jones 3 Jul 2012, 11:16pm

You don’t have to Cher every thought that crosses your mind, dear.

21. cher is probs one of the celebs most supporting to gays.

22. jamestoronto 4 Jul 2012, 6:47am

Cher! Get a lexicon!!! Even with the abbreviations way too prevalent in modern communications, more than half of her tweet made absolutely no sense. Put some basic grammar back into these messages and maybe one of us can figure out what the hell you are saying.

1. It’s probably better this way though – who really wants to know more of her semi-literate gushings?

2. Nick M Duffy 4 Jul 2012, 2:21pm

She is dyslexic and tweets from her phone…

1. What is the evidence of dyslexia in the posts that have been quoted?

23. Maybe her Twitter account was indeed hacked?

24. Suddenly Last Bummer 5 Jul 2012, 2:34pm

Cher is how old now yet her abbreviated writing on Twitter is just embarrassing. Text speech is itself a bit cringeful anyway.