Mormons in mass resignation over gay marriage and polygamy

1. Time for Roman Catholics, Church of England people and Salvation Army members to follow suit!

1. Jock S. Trap 3 Jul 2012, 11:20am

Indeed, let’s hope a tread is set here for others to follow.

2. 14.4 million reported members…150 resignations. I wonder if these were “active” mormons (go to church regularly, observe the words of wisdom, etc.) who resigned, or if they were like me, when I finally removed my name from the roles after Prop 8 passed: hadn’t been to church in over a decade, and did not intend to return.

1. floridahank 3 Jul 2012, 8:42pm

Look up the definition of “mass” — the article’s statement is a joke. 14+ million members and 150 are leaving. Please…make your statements meaningful and not a joke.

1. I am really glad of the publicity that these 150 have got and for the many more that will follow and the thought that it will give to others to challenge them being a part of a bigoted and hate filled organisation.

3. Why must we be lumped in with polygamists? *sigh*

1. Don’t hate polygamist; they are good people too. It is a completely healthy if not done under duress and between equal and consenting adults. Religious pedos have give it a bad name, but lets focus on the good benefits of it.

1. The reason I’m “hating” is because something like this just feeds into the fear of religious groups that oppose us. Let them have their own fight.

1. Jock S. Trap 3 Jul 2012, 11:25am

Exactly, it sadly feeds the hand that continuously bites us.

2. Jock S. Trap 3 Jul 2012, 11:24am

They may be good people Ray but it isn’t what we’re fighting for. It’s what religious extremist keep blathering on about as an excuse not to allow equality to our community. It takes away the focus on what we are fighting for and does us not favours.

Polygamy is a completely separate issue and not one I want to follow.

2. Jock S. Trap 3 Jul 2012, 11:22am

I know, I do get sick of this lumping us with polygamists too, our fight is for the right for two people to marry regardless of gender and I wish, without taking away what these 150 people have done, this issue would be recognised for what it is, not other irreverent issues.

3. Nothing wrong with polygamy as long as all are consenting adults imo.

4. 150? Wow. The Mormon establishment is going to be really scared.

1. 150 is a large walk out by any religion standards – more would be better though

1. Jock S. Trap 3 Jul 2012, 11:27am

Indeed now that they have walked I suspect others will follow. It only take one to make a difference.

2. The point is, they DID walk out…from a religion known for insisting on compliance and obedience. That in itself is saying something.

3. Jock S. Trap 3 Jul 2012, 11:26am

Rehan

It doesn’t matter if it’s 10, 100 or more it’s the point that it’s getting reported and people can see whats happening and the statement that goes with it.

5. Well this week it is 152 members lost; lets not forget Kate and Suri Cruise.

1. different cult

2. Jock S. Trap 3 Jul 2012, 11:29am

They followed Scientology Ray. Different group.

6. LGBT Mormons, I love that term, that it exists. It shows the human nature is finally defeating the human unnature that is homophobia.

7. Robert in S. Kensington 3 Jul 2012, 1:18am

150 out of 14+ million hardly qualifies as a massive resignation and an exaggeration, a drop in the ocean. 150,000 would be of significance.

1. Jock S. Trap 3 Jul 2012, 11:29am

It still could be that number surely 150 is just the start.

8. “quit in a mass resignation ceremony over the church’s opposition to gay marriage and polygamy.”

Am I reading this right? They have an issue with gay people in loving relationships wanting to legally protect themselves, yet they want polygamy so they can have practically a litter of wives for themselves?

9. David Skinner 3 Jul 2012, 7:10am

Well dang my hide, Will, never thought the day would come when we would be in agreement at least on one point.!

1. Well Skinner, glad to see you finally agree with gay people in loving relationships wanting to legally protect themselves so.

And there is nothing I have in common with you Skinner. Perish the thought. A diseased individual like you is of no comparison to me, right down to my superior genetics and intellect – I’m another instance of that “gay boss” who gave you such a trashing years ago and left you whining on the internet about “the homosexual agenda”.

1. pompous idiot

1. Indeed Skinner is John, quite pompous. Most religious extreemists are. They are also idiots, as you said, blustering about what they cant understand.

2. “pompous idiot” – John B

Any fool that sides with filth like Skinner deserves to be treated in kind. What a stunning example of “christianity” the pair of you are – illiterate, uneducated fools who fear everything from evolution to ridiculous conspiracy theories about gay agendas and other religious. Buffoons.

10. David Skinner 3 Jul 2012, 7:31am

It seems to me that the respondents here fall into two groups: on the one hand there are those who see this Mormon initiative, if one can call it that, as a cynical, political manoeuvre, rather like that of David Cameron, trying to garner gay votes, and who object to the negative image of gays needing TLC – they object to the pathetic victim image; and on the other, those who see this in a positive light and who would see the Mormons finally beginning to believe that gays are created gay and that God loves them just as much as He loves straight people.
    My own view, is that the gay liberationists, like Peter Tatchell would dislike the “poor old us” image and that they would be violently opposed to conforming to any kind of clean cut,conventional Mormon morality, although the polygamy side, I would have thought would have been more to their liking. No the whole point about the gay liberation movement is its revolutionary and subversive nature.

1. …said the man who lives in fear of an “Islamic Invasion of Europe” as he put it.

Coo-koo!

1. Jock S. Trap 3 Jul 2012, 11:31am

Quite!!!

1. floridahank 3 Jul 2012, 11:00pm

Do you not see that Islam can be a threat to some European
          countries? Maybe not an invasion, but certainly a continuous attempt to get their religion and beliefs into the everyday life and even into the political circle to acquire more power?

1. “Maybe not an invasion, but certainly a continuous attempt to get their religion and beliefs into the everyday life and even into the political circle to acquire more power?”

Whats new? The same could be said for all religions, they are like a virus. You think christianity and its inquisitions, witch hunts, oppression of science and truth is any better?

2. Are you trying to deflect people from examining Christianity and the bigotry that exists there, by suggesting they focus on a dfifferent religion, Hank?

Both can be just as bad.

Any walk out from any homophobic religious organisation is to be welcomed.

If people must have a religious aspect to their life, and that is a CHOICE they make for themselves, then there are plenty of Christian (and a small number of Muslim and other) organisations which support LGBT people and do not hate, stigmatise or exhibit prejudice on grounds of orientation. Not long ago, race and slavery were treated as acceptable ways to discriminate by some Christian groups – that was (largely) eradicated, and so will homophobia.

2. I love the way you see what isn’t there, David, and then go on to make assumptions that are pure speculation. Does the truth not fit your agenda?

1. Jock S. Trap 3 Jul 2012, 11:31am

Truth never fits their agenda Iris, it is All about assumptions never fact.

1. Very true, Jock. What particularly annoys me logic-wise is that even when their mis-assumptions are corrected they still persist with them. I always wonder if they’re simply afraid that acknowledging the truth would destroy their whole world view – or if they knowingly continue to spread lies and misinformation. In the case of fundies, it’s very often the latter, I think.

1. Jock S. Trap 3 Jul 2012, 4:36pm

Indeed. It comes to being that Everything they read in religious texts cannot be questioned, yet surely that is what it’s there for.

Even though many facts have been laid bare to them they still go by assumptions. They are afraid of thinking for themselves and even for others. That is the problem.

I’m just glad we don’t have such problems and can see a life worthy of living.

11. Considering the amount of Mormons the world over, this is a small amount but let’s not underestimate the significance of this walkout.

12. Depending on the publicity it gets, a small but powerful gesture.

13. Jock S. Trap 3 Jul 2012, 11:19am

Good for those who are willing to stand up and make a difference esp towards marriage equality. Lets hope others from all religions follow suit and push for a better equal society.

14. clean cut,conventional Mormon morality

Like wifebeating, for example?

1. (That’s quoting the inimitable Skinner above.)

15. WHAT A LOAD OF BRAIN WASHED IDIOTS….and they give there wages to them as well….

16. Staircase2 4 Jul 2012, 12:54am

Good for them!

Good to see more people standing up and being counted (and no longer being subjugated by the shackles of a culture of ‘obedience’…)

17. Alright. First of all, here in Utah, this news event was an extremely divisive issue, for very complex reasons. I wasn’t sure how to begin commenting about it here. But I shall try.

I’m not originally from Utah. I was raised Mormon in Oceania, where it was just one of many different faiths. We were always pretty progressive, accepting of gay people, etc. But in Utah, being a Mormon means something very different – it is a religion and an ethnicity. I generally find it distasteful when Mormons, ex-Mormons or anti-Mormons thump their chests on their position. But someone reminded me that, for Utah Mormons, not being a Mormon often means having a cradle-to-grave community that can no longer relate to you – they become “Jack Mormons” – ethnicity outside of the faith. But the way these people so vocally quit the church was deeply unnerving to those of us progressive Mormons who don’t care if someone else is Mormon or not to begin with. (cont.)

1. (cont.) If they don’t want to be Mormons, I suppose their conscientious choice. It works for some people, but not necessarily everyone – I am not an ethnic Mormon, but my whole family are Mormon adherents. I wish it didn’t have to be so hard for these Utah Mormons that they feel the need to quit in such a way that only lends stigma to those of us who already support gay marriage. But maybe, they felt backed into a corner with no other moral support, and they felt this was the only way it could be done. It’s a sad commentary on a geographically isolated culture (Utah Mormons) that has for too long been unable to relate to outsiders as neighbors or as human beings. There are historical reasons for this self-imposed isolation (19th century violence and pogroms), but still, I find it tragic.

2. Pardon me, I meant to say “I support” their conscientious choice.

1. As you say this can be a very complex and difficult issue for some – and the walk out of 150 is significant, particularly given cultural and other influences.

Even more so, I endorse and support them in their moral and humane stance.

18. My take on this being an x moron sorry morman is that they are all a bunch of morons, they dont mind extra wives and all things kinky but when it comes to equal rights their answer is “Whats That” realy who the hell cares what they think.

19. Nothing to do with the article… but that is a beautiful church!