Comment: For those who will never blend in, we will always need Pride

1. Robert in S. Kensington 2 Jul 2012, 11:59am

I want to see Pride get back to its roots, political action to end the injustice of inequality. About time we saw equal marriage at the forefront of the parade, alongside bullying in schools, the workplace and in sport as well as the unjust practice of deporting gay asylum seekers.

2. Well said Bruno .

3. theotherone 2 Jul 2012, 12:21pm

4. Bock McMillan 2 Jul 2012, 12:33pm

Hell yes, I could not agree more. You tell them, Bruno!

5. Did pink news just print that first, fairly poor, anti-pride article to justify all these responses?

It is possible to be pro-pride but have concerns about both the corporatisation of the event and the image it gives out.

I think the event itself tends to be a good mix but the media coverage always focuses on the most outrageous minority.

Personally it was more damaging than anything to me as a kid growing up, I knew I liked men but was horrified to think that meant I had to act like the drag queens I saw on TV (not because they don’t have the right to be drag queens, although some may accuse them of misogyny, but because that wasn’t me)

Those talking about embracing the diversity of leather fetish and drag might want to consider what a uniform it seems to have become, at least in the coverage.

Personally I’d like to see more focus on politics and on love than on sex and fetishes.

1. was horrified to think that meant I had to act like the drag queens

But as you yourself say, that was down to the bias of the media. However much you (or I) may personally squirm at some of the get-ups, surely you don’t want people to tone it down for the sake of public relations when the entire event is supposed to be about freedom?

2. theotherone 2 Jul 2012, 12:59pm

i should tell that to my friends who get attacked at Pride – that they’re actually the normal ones.

i myself stopped going after being attacked one year and threatened the next but hey – i’m probably just a freak

3. I’ve Loved Pride and attended it in a few cities over the years. I loved its freaks and its raw power, its ‘Out and Proud’ and its ‘Celebrate Difference’. But its TIRED and OLD and lets be very honest here…if we dare…take out the alcohol and the drugs and the numbers would be small. Its a party, and it should continue to be so but lets not pretend that we are attempting to change attitudes or win any battles. There was a time when PRIDE had the focus of change and helped to fight many battles, but it has lost its way. What about the L.G.B.T people who feel alienated and side lined by Pride and its commercial greed, who feel that they are not really comfortable being part of the community that is Pride. Those people exist, so please do not pretend that Pride is all things inclusive..its divisive and alienating for many members of the LGBT community. As Bruno says , Pride should be about ALL MEMBERS OF THE COMMUNITY but very simply its not. Just an opinion, don’t shoot me!!

1. theotherone 2 Jul 2012, 1:37pm

asif I would :-)

these are good points and, frankly, Pride as it stands will not be defended by myself however I find troubling the rise of assimilationism and the way this is being used to damn the Freaks.

4. Julian Morrison 2 Jul 2012, 8:33pm

If you were “horrified to think that meant I had to act like the drag queens”, you need to realize that you are part of the problem.

That’s not unexpected, the oppositional sexism (“real men X, Y and Z and definitely don’t A, B or C, ugh, effeminate”) that is at the root of this is distributed evenly throughout society. Victims, bullies and bystanders all believe it. But you need to realize that the revolution starts at home on this. It starts, specifically, with admitting that you have ideas that are hurting people, and trying to catch yourself and stop when you think that way.

1. Thanks for calling me a sexist but it wasn’t the effeminacy of the drag queens that put me off – as i made quite clear in my comment it was the fact that they did not represent me, a shyish tomboy. What is ironic is the fact that I find grotesque parodies of women misogynistic

6. I hope Topher Gen learns from this. His homophobic attitude needs to change. I am still appalled from his article.

7. Jock S. Trap 2 Jul 2012, 2:32pm

A well written Article.

I do have to say that whilst I haven’t done Pride for a while I do get sick of those who seem to label all as ‘camp’ ‘dragged up’ and/or ‘drunk’ when in fact it tends to only be a small percentage of people. I don’t ever remember hearing that Pride event represent all the LGBT community but I guess the message of equality does.

So those that whinge and complain about stereotypes They set without thinking or knowing may well bitch but at the end of the day have no problem taking the equality those that highlight us give. I have no doubt that if this years Pride sent the messages of equality to marriage those that diss and down our community will take full advantage of said equalities for themselves.

Until everyone in our community who chooses to can hold hands in the street without being discriminated against just like a man and a woman can there will always be a need for events like Pride.

1. Diva Doll 2 Jul 2012, 9:51pm

Well said.

8. This year I’m wearing my Jesus image T shirt, silky face cover as a Muslim woman, little Jewish hat yamaca, thigh-high 8 inch boots and skimpy shorts of course. Rounded up with leather gloves and whip I find it political enough?

1. A little understated perhaps, but cary on honey.Have a super day

2. little Jewish hat yamaca

Yarmulke, perhaps?

1. It can be spelled in many ways dear. Bottom line is it covers my “Crown chakra”. Let’s settle on kipah then, you schmuck. Still love you thou :)

9. Sue Brown 2 Jul 2012, 3:06pm

I’ve only been to Pride once but it was an important step for me. As a middle-age woman, just taking a tentative step out of the closet, it wasn’t about the costumes and the gorgeousness I could never aspire to. It was about being able to hold my girlfriend’s hand in public.

1. That was really sweet.

10. A very very good article. I have been fighting for over sixty years and dammed if I will give up now. It’s ok for spoilt queens to have the luxury to discuss this. We did not.

1. Amen to that, Roger. I’ve been out a good forty years and we did indeed not have the luxury to discuss things such as this. We were too busy surviving. I personally enjoy Pride when I can go, but Like many, I would love to see more of the original spirit of Pride and not just some corporatised dug and drinkfest.

11. I am a white, bisexual, able, middle class Christians who agrees we do need Pride where more people like me can come out and be free to be who they are and not his in fear of there fellow anti-gay Christians who by the way are infiltrating LGBT groups to spy and disrupt them from with in with the idea that they are doing it for their Christian God, I know because they also use ex gay Christians to do this. These anti-gay Christians give all Christians a bad name and make them all look bad. We need more gay Christians like myself to not be afraid and to come out of the closet and work to stop these hateful and hurtful anti-gay Christians before they do more damage.

1. Hear, hear Malcolm! My partner, her brother and I are all gay Christians. Not only do we need to expand tolerance for queers among Christians, but also the reverse. Thankfully, queers are less prejudiced, more open-minded and (dare I say it?) more forgiving than Christians, despite what Christians have done to us over the years. Have you seen the LGBT version of the bible? It has original Greek with notes debunking the anti-homosexuality bullsh!t that was introduced for political reasons. Surprise, surprise, the Ancient Greeks were actually ok with queers!!!

1. the Ancient Greeks were actually ok with queers

Please be aware that many cultures in the Classical Hellenic world were OK with certain types of male homosexuality only.

12. It’s been an interesting debate. I’ve never had a problem with people being out and proud or outrageous and proud. I have, however, been dissapointed at the last few pride events that I’ve been too.

The focus seemed to be entirely on partying. I don’t mind people having a good time I just think pride is also a good chance to educate heterosexuals, homosexuals and anyone else. However, at the pride events Ihave attended the only education seemed to be on STI prevention. Some information on LGBT contribution to science, history and literature would have been nice. So far the only thing I have seen of this kind was a tent where some poor dama group tried to play some scenes from shakespear. Their act was impossible to watch or rather listen too. Not for the quality of the action but the location of this tent right next to a dance stage whose music drown out everything that was said.

Pride is important and should be fun, but, needs to show eveything we can be proud of.

1. Alan – would you welcome information on the status of queer refugees? UWA queer department and UWA refugee rights action network are getting together this year to highlight queer refugee rights violations and action opportunities.

13. de Villiers 2 Jul 2012, 11:16pm

Three different gay commentators argue three different political views. It demonstrates that gays individuals are individuals with their own politics – and that there is no single gay view.

14. Hodge Podge 3 Jul 2012, 3:21am

“trannies” ugh oh

15. Kerry Hollowell 3 Jul 2012, 5:49am

I don’t mind as the writer puts it ” freaks, sissies, tomboys, bears and trannies. To be whoever we are or want to be. And to be proud of it.” But do it without your arses hanging out and without the lude provocative behaviour. I’m gay and proud, but I’m also a father of three girls, a business owner and a fierce supporter of equal rights including same sex marriage.
    Pride should be about pushing for equality, and demonstrating the contribution LGBT people make to the wider community.

16. God, that was an exceptional rebuttal. Really gave me hope. It’s been said so many times before, but you said it so well. Thank you.

17. VERY well said Bruno! Only yesterday Kaleidoscope Trust started a new campaign called #illegaltobeyou they want people to imagine how it would feel if it was suddenly illegal for you to have blonde hair or brown eye’s. That you are not allowed in certain places if you are bold or short. And ask people to reflect on how that would make them feel!

It’s shocking that in 78 countries it’s illegal to be gay and in 5 of those you can be put to death.

Even in the UK you can be beaten etc. I can remember reading about an 18 year old girl who kissed her girlfriend on the bus and as they were getting off a woman got off behind her and started to hit her and that’s here in the UK!!!

This year I attend my first pride parade and yes we were all colourful and yes we were having fun, but we were also making political statements about equality! It’s possible to do both.

1. Even in this country it is continually stated that as homosexuals we cannot be discriminated against and yet just by not allowing us to marry they contradict themselves. Marriage may seem a small thing but it’s still important to many of us, I’m single and I STILL think it’s important. It’s the fact we don’t have a choice!

Until we are equal (if that ever happens, like Bruno said as a woman I’m still not completely equal) we will stand up for who we are not matter how ‘normal’ or bonkers we look! It’s our right to be ourselves, and that applies to straight people too!!! So I will continue to make a statement and attend pride! My next one is in a few weeks in Doncaster!!!

Now should I wear a pink tutu and wig?

For more info in Kaleidoscope’s campaign visit their web site and watch the video on YouTube!!!

18. radical53 6 Jul 2012, 6:07am

I have never blended in or felt part of the gay community.

Always been outsider. So I cannot see how a pride would help me or any of us who just don’t fit in.

The gay community’s culture is bad at most times, in regards to how it ostrocises and treats it’s members with “You are not welcome here” look.

Discrimination is wide spread in the gay community, regardless of colour, race, gender etc.

“People in glass houses should not throw stones”

One day Prides or Mardi Gras’s will accept everyone