Former Will and Grace stars ‘pray for a gay child’

1. Jock S. Trap 27 Jun 2012, 12:35pm

Bless ‘em!! ;)

Always good to hear such support!!

Thank you Debra and Eric!!

2. Suddenly Last Bummer 27 Jun 2012, 12:42pm

Who exactly are they praying to? FFS

1. They are American.

‘God’ remains a huge problem over there.

Even atheists like Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton have to pretend to believe in ‘god’ for the sake of their careers.

2. They are comedians, and it was said tongue in cheek.

1. Suddenly Last Bummer 27 Jun 2012, 1:51pm

People throw around terms like ‘pray’ and ‘thank God’ without every really thinking about what they’re saying. I’d prefer hear people utter ‘thank Elvis’ or ‘thank f@*k” tbh. Likewise ”Jesus, Mary and Joseph” as an expletive could be changed to something like ”Helena Bonham Carter” with about as much conviction. What I’m trying to say is the sooner we ‘cure’ ourselves of invoking ‘God’ or whoever as a soundbyte or verb the better.

1. Kathy Griffin won an Emmy a few years ago.

In her acceptance speech she looked at her statue and said ‘Suck it Jesus, this is my god now’.

It was most amusing.

The god-botherers did not seem to understand that she was taking the p!ss out of those morons who think ‘god’ is responsible for their career success.

3. I think the comments from Joe Bidden is correct in that Will and Grace may have educated some Americans about the LGBT lifestyle and it is also fair to say that Glee (whether you love it of hate it) has also done some good in the last few seasons. There has been some amazing and brilliantly written gay story lines.

1. Yep, I just bought the boxset and can’t wait to bust it out.

2. I dont think Glee has helped us in any shape or form. Its a show aimed at the stereotype all gay people love show tunes and musicals. Also certain cast members who have been awarded for their lgbt work have said unhelpful things on more than one occasion.

It was high school musical the tv series. I hope we can move on now tbh and try to get a big action film with a gay lead character. Seems to be an obstacle in the industry.

4. Amazing! Thank you, Debra and Eric. X

5. Forgive me if I don’t get too excited about being patronised by a couple of straight people who were in an awful sitcom about gay stereotypes that didn’t even dare show a gay relationship.

Couldn’t they have found a representative of the LGBT community to present this? Instead we get a couple of actors joking about how ‘fabulous’ it would be to have a token gay baby.

We are not chihuahuas.

1. de Villiers 27 Jun 2012, 2:18pm

I agree entirely. It is very patronising for an heterosexual to say “Oh – are you not lovely? We wish that we could have one of you for ourselves”.

1. They were only making the point that so many parents say they would hate to have a gay daughter or son. In fact a lot of gay kids are homeless for that very reason.

So, well said, Eric McCormack & Debra Messing.

2. A gay relationship was featured very heavily with Will in the latter series and if you watched the very final episode which was a flash forward one, Will was in the same relationship and he and his partner were parents! It also featured the issues that face gay couples in the U.S and indeed the world over.

3. I tend to agree – I know it was well-intentioned, but it is more than a little cringeworthy.

6. is it not just because he made millions out of playing a gay guy….even though he straight….Publicity Publicty….how gullible…

1. why so many thumbs down …stand up for yourselves…hes straight made a mint….plenty of gay actors and good looking ones about….

7. God will hear your prayers and he will give you a gay child as God makes gay children to be born on earth and to love one another the same as our Heavenly Father has been making straights. Praise God for he loves us all, gay and straight. Now is only we can get the anti-gay Christians to stop hating long enough to follow Gods command to love one another.

1. Do you have a direct hotline to ‘God’ where it told you this?

Or are you delusional and hallucinating?

There is no ‘god’ you know.,

Once you die, that’s it – no afterlife, no happily ever after. You will rot into the ground, thereby fertlising the soil, and this continuing the circle of life.

It’s tragic that this STILL needs to be explained to supposedly educated people.

1. Paddyswurds 27 Jun 2012, 10:09pm

As I often explain to friends who still believe in imaginary deities, it is just like switching out the light. You’re dead and that’s it end of the road. Enjoy your life and stop worrying about afterlives and avenging “gods” who are going to send you to another imaginary place , “hell” which was invented by the Persians 3400 years ago…….

2. Did you read the recent obituary of Gad Beck, Malcolm? Where was your all-loving Heavenly Father during the Holocaust then, would you say?

And, at the risk of going off at a tangent, where exactly is it said that God commanded us to love one another? It certainly wasn’t in the 10 Commandments.

1. Paddyswurds 28 Jun 2012, 4:08pm

As an atheist even I know the answer to that one, I don’t know which number it is but that is irrelevant; Love thy Neighbour as Thyself covers your question.

1. Oh, Mark 12:31 – Mark’s report of Jesus’s version of what God says, but fair enough I suppose.

8. What idiotic comments. They may have meant well but that’s such a ridiculous thing to say…

1. It was a JOKE! It was mocking parents who say (rather thoughtlessly) “I will love my child even if they’re gay, but I wish they were straight. Think of everything they’ll miss out on”.

The cast here are just saying that everyone’s life experiences are different. Being gay should diminish the experiences you have. They are also NOT saying that every gay kid must pray to Judy and own a summer house in the Pines. Again – it was a JOKE!!

1. Correction: “Being gay should NOT diminish the experiences you have…”

2. Yes, but trying to break down stereotypes by invoking stereotypes is a bit of an own goal, isn’t it?

9. I’d want an LGBT child, but I’d love it whatever its sexuality or gender preference.