Egyptian diplomat suggests gays are ‘not real people’

1. He might as well go on to say that women are not real people either as they are repressed under Islamic rule.

Any country who opposes LGBT rights should be expelled from the UN

1. Anyone, or any group who in any way threatens the status quo may be considered “not real people”. So much easier when you have a flock of compliant, non boat rocking, unquestioning sheep.

2. Im sorry i accidentaly hit report button next to the like button. Ffs who designs these things. Such an unfriendly ui.

I agree with everything you said

2. Is this comment here???

1. Cardinal Capone 27 Jun 2012, 4:24pm

Surreal post. :)

1. Just checking if I was real

3. I dont think Omar Shalaby is a real person

4. So does that make me more or less real than our friendly troll “Aiden”? I’m confused over who’s real and who’s not

1. Cardinal Capone 27 Jun 2012, 4:27pm

Strawberry Fields Foreveh.

2. Cardinal Capone 27 Jun 2012, 5:20pm

Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.
      It’s getting hard to be someone but it all works out, it doesn’t matter much to me.
      Let me take you down, ‘cos I’m going to Strawberry Fields.
      Nothing is real and nothing to get hung about.
      Strawberry Fields forever.

3. Aiden is far from real, Kris – he has 2 photographs – both strangely purchaseable from Photoshop – now unless he is a chalmeleon model ….

5. I think that gay persons should of course “NOT” spend any money on tourism or products. Boycott is always the first line. Second I think we should petition our governments to limit the amount of trade and commerce with backward thinking nations esp. in Africa and the middle east. (of course because of oil that won’t happen) finally open up avenues for immigration to gay persons from these areas so they can escape the often very real threat to their lives that they experience on a daily basis.

1. Egypt is definitely on my list of places to boycott.

1. Keith Farrell 30 Jun 2012, 10:02am

yes, I agree with you, Egypt will see no money from, I will not visit that country, how can a Non-person spend their money to take a holiday in that country. I am a person and will choose where I spend my hard earned money

6. Cardinal Capone 27 Jun 2012, 4:29pm

Religion is not real. It’s a totally artificial concept.

7. What a complete and utter twit.

Samuel B. (beaming back up to planet Zog)

8. It’s so depressing that some countries and cultures have such attitudes towards gay people – and even more depressing that they get a platform in the UN to spout their homophobia.

9. So sexual orientation – something a person has no more choice over than their skin colour – is not part of the list of universally recognised human rights, but religion – very definitely a choice – is? What’s the list of human rights worth, then, if it’s so arbitrary that fundamental aspects of humanity can be left to the mercy (or lack) of bigots?

10. Another reason not to visit the sh*thole that is Egypt.

11. Guess women in Egypt must not be real people too given how women are treated. An absolute disgrace to women rights. Women getting sexually harassed by men in Egypt and treated like second class citizens. Not suprised they are now attacking gay rights when the people over there in Egypt is not really sane.

1. Judging by the way every Egyptians were treated by the former government of Hosni Mubarak and are now without doubt going to be treated by the new Islamic government of Mohamed Morsi I suppose Egypt doesn’t have real people, since only real people deserve human rights. I wonder what these fake people are. Agents of the Matrix, maybe ?

12. Christopher 27 Jun 2012, 5:19pm

Are Muslims real peaceful?

Are Egyptians real educated?

(apologies to the grammatically correct…!)

13. Nothing tolerant will come from muslim countries. They are biggots and the only rights they respect is those of heterosexual men, not even women. The sooner religions disappear from the face of the Earth, the better for all.

1. Lynda Yilmaz 27 Jun 2012, 7:00pm

You are right Jose. Gay rights are human rights. Trouble is, most of the muslim countries don’t have much in the way of human rights and that just about sums it up. In countries where a woman’s word is worth only half that of a man, and where rape victims often end up convicted of adultery and stoned to death, I think we are pissing in the wind to expect any sort of rights for anyone.

2. You know, I always tried to be tolerant and acceptable of every human groups, even those who are intolerant themselves. But I agree with you that each day Islam – and most religions at all – make it too hard for even me to accept and tolerate them. It’s like Karl Popper’s paradox of tolerance.

14. I don’t think Omar Shalaby is a real person…

15. How can this “diplomat” be a representative to the UN Human Rights Council? He is not human.

16. Well at least that’s a novel angle, the ontological argument for homophobia.
    If I close my eyes really tight the gays don’t exist.
    I think Decartes took most of the credit for that one, that the only sensory data you can trust beyond any doubt is the notion that you are a thinking entity and the rest of what we percieve as reality may be nothing more than an elaborate illusion dreamt up by a brain in a vat.
    Since he wants to go the philosophy route, someone should demonstrate to Mr. Shalaby the sound of one hand slapping…

17. marco genovesi 27 Jun 2012, 6:21pm

OK SO… GOD EXIST AND I DON’T.
    GOOD NEWS I STOP PAYING TAXES THEN.

18. And the Satanic Islam rasies its disgusting, ugly head once again.
    Boycot Egypt totally.

19. Omar Kuddus 27 Jun 2012, 6:40pm

If im NOT a real person, can someone please tell me what i am.
    Time to shut the Matrix down !!!!!!!
    It is high time that the UN started defending LGBT rights and condeming countries that dont respect our rights.

20. I feel so sorry for lgbt and progressive people in Egypt and throughout the Arab and Islamic world. The Arab Spring seemed to open the doors to hopes of free and democratic societies with dignity and equality but this poisonous bigotry shows that there are obviously long struggles ahead. Military dictatorship or religious repression – deeply unappealing alternatives.

1. The only thing that the socalled ‘Arab Spring’ has done is further entrench repressive Islam which is exactly what I thought would occur.

1. Unfortunately like some recent revolutionary movements like the Occupy Wall Street the Arab Spring became too overrated with time and ended up in nothing. It was completely deluded who thought the Arab Spring could once for all implement real democracy in the Muslim world.

2. David Myers 29 Jun 2012, 9:16am

Its way to early to discern the entire effect of the “Arab Spring”. There is much to be sorted out in Egypt between the military and the new President. Some dramatic statements about supporting women’s eqaulity were made by him the evening of his election.

21. Looks like the arab spring in the middle east is leading to lots of new ideas – the problem being they are even more bigoted ideas than they had before the uprisings. christianity is bad, but islam has got to be one of the most evil ideologies that has any power in the world.

22. There were probably people involved in the Arab Spring who thought they were fighting for “REAL ” freedom, not just a change of tyrannies. I sympathise with the disappointment they must be feeling.

23. GingerlyColors 28 Jun 2012, 7:02am

With the Muslim Brotherhood in power and with Egypt wanting to cosy up to Iran I can see things getting worse for gays there.
    I suggest that we also watch the situation in Syria. President Assad, although a mass murder didn’t seem to have an issue with gays. Although homosexuality is illegal in Syria, the law had very rarely been applied. Wait until Assad is out on his ear and the Islamist take over there. It may have been an Arab Spring for some people but for others, it is an LGBT Autumn.

24. Some people are more equal than others…

25. I find this sickening. People who are elected to government so they can protect the rights of their people who then basically turn on those who are vulnerable just so they can become more popular with their own chosen organisation. Makes me really sick to my stomach

1. Keith Farrell 30 Jun 2012, 10:10am

this idiot is only stating what his countries belief is regarding gay people. he would love to see us as slaves in his country, as non people they can use gay people for labor, sex or anything else they want, as non people, we would have no rights and cannot be raped or murdered. I sometimes this this is whats behind all of the Islam religion, I hope I am wrong

26. This specimen is making Egyptian diplomatics seem more than a little unreal.

To think Egypt was once one of the more progressive of the mainly-Muslim nations. How sad.

1. Er – ‘diplomats’

2. David Myers 29 Jun 2012, 9:19am

Yes. At this point this is one diplomate who is stating policy that has not yet been made by the new government. Let’s see who’s word is law and what that law is before assuming the worst.

27. Garry Cassell 28 Jun 2012, 1:58pm

Here we go….only print what fits a certain flavour…probably not such freedom here either..

28. Why, don’t we fake people also deserve rights ?