San Francisco: Missing man returns a week after social networking app meeting

1. The joys of Grindr.

2. Bet it was one fun week.

3. It was probably a bit of an overreaction on his family’s part. He’s a grown man of 22. Poor guy, finding out he’s sort of famous/infamous and he’s just been having a fling – and now everyone knows about it. Enjoying the week’s Pride festivities? Yeah…he’s gay all right. And so was his fling!

4. How embarrassing. I’d be mortified if my mother created a website and got herself on the news whilst I was off galavanting around with some random :S

5. As a personal safety issue I think this is a call to everyone who meets new contacts from a social network site to let a good friend know who when and where .

6. Well it’s all turned out alright in the end. I wouldn’t mind being missing with him for a week.

7. It’s not yet confirmed that it *was* Grindr. There’s other wannabe apps appearing all the time on the App Store. And, yes, as the article says, they are a bit like the Wild West right now!

I had the misfortune to think Skout might be a decent place to meet new people. Wrong!

If you’re a girl looking for girls then there is NO way to stop pervs sending you pics of their bits :-o You are unprotected on there!

If any app makes wants to bring out an app that lets you block people by category, then i’d use it.

It’s fabulous that Evan was found. But it’d probably take someone *not* being found for social networking apps to bring in any protection for their members.

8. LMFAO!!!

I bet he loves his mom, LOL

9. While I am glad that he is safe, wasn’t it a little selfish to disappear off the radar like that and not tell anyone where he was?

It is drummed into us from a young age about personal safety and it seems he threw caution to the wind.

Still, I hope it was a great week for him!

10. Jesus moran 26 Jun 2012, 4:32pm

Stupid , senseless queen nobody disappears for almost a week without telling at least a friend where does he think he lives swissertland no it’s freaking America the land of the brave and the psicho!!!!

11. I bet he wishes he was black it would never had made the news

1. Jock S. Trap 26 Jun 2012, 4:52pm

I really don’t see the point in this kind of comment James! It’s immature and totally offensive.

12. Jock S. Trap 26 Jun 2012, 4:51pm

This does highlight the importance of if meeting someone let someone know.

I lost a very close friend six years ago who went to the US , met someone on a chatroom and disappeared only to be found nearly three months later in a shallow grave.

People should take there safety and those of others more seriously.

Thankfully Evan returned but to such worry of those close to him. Hopefully he will learn from this.

13. This website is for sale. If you have a wayward child called Evan, or you’ve simply left someone called Evan in the toy department of a crowded store, have we got a deal for you!” – SPEAKS VOLUMES

14. I did offer him the use of the Bat-phone, but he declined, and he said his mom would’nt be worried.

15. His mother sounds like a bit of an idiot.

He didn’t ringer her for a week and she starts a nationwide campaign to ‘find’ him?

How many 22 year olds report in to mummy every evening?

1. The guy went missing for a week and his phone wasn’t ringing. I find it entirely reasonable for his mother to be worried about his safety. It doesn’t matter what age he is, his mother is still his mother. To call her an idiot is ridiculous.

1. She sounds a bit ‘Mommie Dearest’ to me.

He’s 22, it was gay pride, he was busy, and she threw a fit because he hadn’t called her.

2. I am at uni on the other side of the country and i go weeks without texting or calling my mother or talking to her on facebook even when i was living at home i did this – she never created a website and went crying to the media about it. :rollseyes:

16. Suddenly Last Bummer 27 Jun 2012, 12:39pm

It will take him a further week to be able to walk properly again.

17. He went a week without calling his mother? What gay man calls his mother less than once a week? I’m sensing he was imbibing in recreational psychtropics and did not want her to hear him slur his words. He really should have borrowed his date’s phone, logged onto his email and sent his mother a quick missive. Just because you’re “three sheets to the wind” doesn’t mean a gay man has an excuse for blowing off his mum.

18. Surely the worry was prompted by the fact that he seemed to disappear after being known to have hooked up with a stranger via an internet medium. Such anxieties are reasonable given the risks of predatory behaviour associated with this. It is inconsiderate to one’s friends and loved ones not to leave clear information about one’s movements in these circumstances.

19. James Savik 21 Sep 2012, 7:02pm

Glad he is OK.

20. darkmoonman 24 Sep 2012, 4:11pm

Uh, right. Blame his mum’s over reaction and his own self-centredness on the app.