Proposition 8 trial witness to stop opposing marriage for gay couples

1. While I welcome some of his comments, his comment about “gay and straight relationships were not the same” which is in part is only true, the sex is different but ultimately love is love and no one should say that if is different!

1. Robert in S. Kensington 25 Jun 2012, 4:47pm

Therein is the crux of the matter. Him saying that the two are different has everything to do with the physical compatibility, penis/vagina equation. It’s always about sex and the sex act with these anti equal marriage haters which must always lead to procreation when in reality, it doesn’t always happen and can’t in some cases. The entire argument is flawed, deeply flawed as far as that goes and it’s entirely religious based if you look at the root-cause of their opposition, not to mention the reason behind their homophobia.

2. I don’t thank the bully who has decided to stop hitting people.

This man was discredited by Judge Walker Vaughn as nothing but an opinionated layman who did not have the intellectual pedigree to offer “expert” testimony.

Blankenhorn is, of course, connected a “family values” non-profit “think tank”. Which makes my inner cynic wonder if he is worried that his stance has made the donations dry up a bit.

But be in no doubt, as the ONLY witness the Prop H8 lawyers put up he is instrumental in causing distress to thousands of LGBT people and in facilitating and perpetuating aggression and divisiveness against us (by labelling as an “other” that is detrimental to families).

Too little, too late. Harm already done and you don’t get praise for acting like the decent human being that you should have been in the first place, Mr Blankenhorn

3. I welcome the majority of his comments – although I’m not quite sure I go as far as thanking him.

Its clear the battle is being won when one of the major bullies decides there is no point in persecuting any longer and uses language that supports equality.

If only we could hear Sentamu say “Whatever one’s definition of marriage, legally recognizing gay and lesbian couples and their children is a victory for basic fairness.”

1. Jock S. Trap 25 Jun 2012, 4:44pm

He deserves no thanks nor should expect it.

His comments before have damaged society. So he says he thinks differently…so lets see him in action to help other change their mind, no merely by words.

1. David Myers 27 Jun 2012, 9:38am

Words are a start.

4. It takes a special kind of person to be able to admit they were wrong. Most of us would rather cling to our position even when proven false.
    Spitzer was a scientist who admitted his theory about changing a person’s sexual orientation was flawed, and who made a subsequent public apology.
    And now we have the example of this man, Mr Blankenhorn, who opposed us on Prop 8.
    I salute his bravery and integrity in this change of heart, and the intellectual honesty with which he explained his reasoning.
    @Valsky… sometimes you have to give people time to let stuff sink in, and be glad when it does.

1. Hate-for-hire.

Without offering a single witness, which would have been the case if this piece of filth hadn’t stood up, there was a good chance the case would have collapsed completely. His participation caused a lot of harm and he doesn’t get a pat on the back for deciding to no longer be scum.

1. rubbish. The court said his testimony was unsubstantiated opinion and should be ignored in its entirety.
        Lighten up dude.

1. He was the only one who took the stand as a witness. And yes, as I said earlier, Judge Walker Vaughn dismissed him as rubbish. But that didn’t stop Judge Smith blathering some of the same bloody drivel in the ninth circuit appeal dissent.

2. I absolutely agree. Courage and integrity matter and, if this man has the courage and integrity to change his opinion on things that matter (a standard I try to achieve), then I think he deserves admiration for this.

Of course he has hurt people in the past, but we can’t change that. Look ahead and move on, that’s what I say.

3. I also agree. Blankenhorn has nothing to gain by so publicly altering his stance. Even if you don’t agree entirely with his focus on marriage being children, it did take some courage and honesty to come out (as it were) like this.

5. Robert in S. Kensington 25 Jun 2012, 4:39pm

I have no reason to thank him. That he equates marriage with raising children, I am so totally not in agreement with him. There are thousands of gay couples who can’t marry but who are doing a fantastic job in raising children most of whom do well in school and turn out to be some of the most stable and secure adults later in life. Marriage does NOT guarantee a good home to children and in many instances, it doesn’t last for life and in some cases involves children who are caught up in the breakdown of that relationship. Marriage is primarily about the love between two people. Children are secondary or not a requirement. They are a choice, some have them, some don’t, and some can’t. End of.

6. Jock S. Trap 25 Jun 2012, 4:42pm

Long overdue and whilst I welcome his comments I’d like him to reflect how damaging his previous actions were.

So he has seen that Marriage Equality does work for relationships and for family. Let’s hope he helps other see the same and instead of condemning us for love respect us a lot more to see it matter and it contributes to society too.

1. David Myers 27 Jun 2012, 9:42am

I think, from his comments, that he was reflecting on how damaging his previous actions were – “to my deep regret, much of the opposition to gay marriage seems to stem, at least in part, from an underlying anti-gay animus. To me, a Southerner by birth whose formative moral experience was the civil rights movement, this fact is profoundly disturbing.”
      I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and for his sober second thoughts.

7. Har Davids 25 Jun 2012, 4:54pm

Even though the Mr. Blankenhorn may have changed his mind to be on the ‘right’ side of history, his change of stance is more than welcome. It shows these ‘values’ fellows are not as united as we are led to believe.

8. I’d like to see a register of interests of the people who supported Prop 8 when it was expedient to do so, but conveniently “changed their minds” at a later date.

9. Softly, softly, slowly, slowly.

10. These anti-gay Christian hate groups are busy infiltrating the LGBT community with spies and trouble makers who have been trained in psychological warfare to change gays. They have been doing this for some time now and that is one of their newer plans to disrupt the gay agenda from within.

1. So you think there’s a ‘gay agenda’ too, do you?

2. Gay Agenda?? All I want are my basic rights to be who I was born as and to be free to love who a choose!

11. Is the gentleman ‘repositioning’ himself for some sort of political career where polarisation could be a drawback? The cautious and slightly muddled language suggests so. But perhaps it’s no matter; self-interest may at times consort with the angels.