New anti-homophobia award named in honour of Alan Turing

1. Excellent news, I wonder if keith knows yet?

2. Good idea, bad title.

That word has not been reclaimed. Also it’s hardly ever used about women.

3. Cardinal Capone 22 Jun 2012, 5:33pm

The award should go not just to those fighting homophobia, but also have something to do with computing pioneers. How about one for the current gay head of Apple, who also use Turing’s bitten apple as their logo?

1. Katherine Griffiths 22 Jun 2012, 9:09pm

Thats an urban myth. Apple themselves have denied that their logo is anything to do with Alan Turing

4. Great idea.

Hope the Early Day Motion results in Turing being pardoned, too.

1. Spanner1960 23 Jun 2012, 9:39am

I doubt that. But what is done is done.
      Recognise the man for his talents, not his failings.

5. TheLizzie12 22 Jun 2012, 10:36pm

I am disappointed because only the top three nominees put forward in each category will be recognised and made available for the public vote. This will bias the LGBT ‘celebrities’ and campaigners who already attract media attention and awards. I was hoping these awards would finally start to recognise the brilliant work of members of the LGBT community who work hard on the ‘front line’ of our communities and never get recognised. Someone like Stephen Bourne in the London Borough of Souhwark who, in 1995, was intsrumental in setting up the first locally-based LGBT Forum with the Met police and his local authority to combat homophobic crime. Stephen (a volunteer) and the Forum are still going strong after 17 years and is highly respected by the Met police yet he has never been recognised by the LGBT community. See his documentary ‘Changing Relations’ (Pts 1 & 2) on You Tube.

6. Spanner1960 23 Jun 2012, 9:41am

Nice to see the “Google Doodle” recognising Turing’s 100th Birthday, and also the BBC commenting that he may not have committed suicide after all:

1. Jock S. Trap 23 Jun 2012, 10:15am

Yes I must admit I was most impressed by Google this morning!

2. Also impressed by Google.

I also have to say, that I thought the art work on google was imaginative and does credit to Turing!

7. Jock S. Trap 23 Jun 2012, 10:14am

A fitting tribute to a truly remarkable man esp as we’re celebrating his centenary!!

Have to say though I don’t like the ‘Homo Heroes’ title though. No-one denies Heroes but ‘Homo’ tends to be used in a derogatory sense usually by homophobes and feel a better title should be thought up.

1. Spanner1960 23 Jun 2012, 12:13pm

I agree. It is rather degrading for somebody of his stature.
      I would go with something like “Gay Legends”, but unfortunately the PC crowd will probably moan it’s not inclusive enough, and LGBT is just so clinical. It’s about time somebody came up with a new term that everyone was happy with.

1. It is difficult to get a title that everyone will agree with. Not keen on the one chosen. I prefer Gay Legends – and I am sure if a group of creative people were to sit and think about it something evolving from gay legends that was imaginative could be found that was both exciting and inlcusive. LGBT is probably too clinical though.

2. Jock S. Trap 23 Jun 2012, 2:25pm

“Gay Legends”… mmm yep I very much prefer that!!

8. David Thomas 23 Jun 2012, 11:48am

Be very careful about the revisionists who of late suggest Mr Turing was “careless” in his scientific experimentation leading to him “laying his final apple in a pool of cyanide”. The man was a clear and unquestioned genius, no idiot. He was chemically castrated this removed his libido & with it all interest in sex or sexual attraction, he put a brave face on, as one would; commenting on his new found angelic approach. Some would argue, without basic libido one may question the point in getting up in the morning. His latter days were of good cheer & this can be indicative of someone who knows of the likely end to their “suffering”. The coroner at the time is now being undermined by these revisionists too. Quite demented all. The past is past, Mr Turing we should thank for the work he did to shorten the war & the subsequent sparks his research gave to generations that followed. He’s a hero and I respect him. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18561092

1. Spanner1960 23 Jun 2012, 12:17pm

I think your assumptions are as unproven as anybody else’s.
      A lot of people actually find sex, sexuality and libido something of a burden, and it may well have been a happy release for the man. One may never know.