Michael Gove: Catholic Education Service ‘blurred’ line between faith and politics with anti-gay marriage petition in schools

1. Kornelijus Norvidas 21 Jun 2012, 6:11pm

The Queen and Michael Gove against Catholic Education Service. Yes, times are changing!

1. The Queen? Have I missed something?

2. Cardinal Capone 21 Jun 2012, 6:19pm

You slappa my wrist, I slappa yours!

3. Robert in S. Kensington 21 Jun 2012, 6:21pm

Unintentional my arse! The fact that the pupils were directed to the C4M petition, a political petition if you will proves how it was intentional and partisanship clearly coming into play. Gove is against equal marriage so it comes as no surprise he’s colluded with the school. He should be sacked for displaying partiality.

If the C4M petition didn’t state that the minimum age for signing it , then that too should be called into question and the petition voided.

4. Just another example of the Conservative government’s links with The Church clouding their political judgements. We know Gove is horrendously anti-lgbt so this is not surprising in the slightest. Just disgusting that this is just corroborates the previous story about the tweet from the Daily Telegraph journalist.

5. So tired of these bigotry factories feeding twisted garbage to the young on tax payers’ money while chickens**t politicians won’t deal with them. Take every penny of public money out of them. Stop their charity status. If they are found to incite disobedience to the law or peddle hokum as science, close them down.

6. Dennis Velco 21 Jun 2012, 6:30pm

Thanks for this article and your reporting. I just booked marked you as a new source as I curate global LGBT news & resources and group moderator.  What you do is appreciated.

I posted it to my LGBT Group on LinkedIn to spur members to read your article and to make comment. I also scooped it at Scoop.It on my LGBT Times news mashup.

Link to group >> http://www.linkedin.com/groups/LGBT-Gay-GLBT-Professional-Network-63687/about

All LGBT+ and community allies…. please come join me and 14,000 of your soon to be great friends on LinkedIn. The member base represents 80% of the world’s countries.

It is strictly professional office friendly dialog, posting and profiles / profile images. I’ve been told by many that it may well be one of the best run / managed groups on LinkedIn. It even has several LinkedIn top executives as members.

You can be as out or private as you like and I provide instructions on how to set those preferences.

7. Whilst it is good to hear that the government are censuring CES – I do not share their view that the CES acted unintentionally, the wording of their letter (as revealed in some media) was deliberate and judged in a manner to politicise schoolchildren. That the Welsh govt and Dept for education accept this matter resulted in politicisation of school children is a significant conclusion.

What is alarming is that no distinct action is being taken either against CES or against a school known to have engaged in politicising school children. That is abhorrent.

Its clear that the C4M is entirely discredited by the actions of C4M (and many other ways!).

The government appear very clear that marriage equality is going to happen – it is the will of the British people – and it is the right thing to do.

Very disappointing that the government are choosing not to enforce the Education Act when it is breached! What message does this send!

8. Cardinal Capone 21 Jun 2012, 6:49pm

I really wish officials would not use the word “faith” in the context of schools. They should use a neutral term like “religious schools”. Faith is a positive term, just as superstition is a negative term.

I read a definition of Faith recently, along the lines of “faith is pretending you know something that you don’t know”. Not really a good basis for an education.

9. Cardinal Capone 21 Jun 2012, 7:00pm

I wonder how they would feel if there was a tit for tat petition supporting the banning of religious schools, which was promoted throughout the secular state schools.

1. THat’s a good idea.

A million signatures demanding the removal of funding from religious schools couldn’t be ignored.

How would such a petition be arranged.

10. GulliverUK 21 Jun 2012, 7:06pm

Gove’s the most corrupt politician I know of.

I swear he gets his instructions directly from the Pope.

I think I’ll be referred to the CES as an anti-equality anti-gay hate group from now on. :(

1. Cardinal Capone 21 Jun 2012, 7:20pm

Hardly. Also he’s not a Catholic, so not on the Vatican team, which Italians seem to think is led by the homophobic Butone these days.

As a former president of he Oxford Union, he’s probably no pushover either. Quite good in Parliamentary questions. Just unfortunate in his political opinions.

1. Isn’t St Mary Abbots, the CofE church that he worships at, Anglo-Catholic?

11. If I was in that assembly I can tell you I would use quite a few unpleasant words, a four letter word beginning with C would be directed at the person conducting the assembly and many more directed at other staff who also held his bigoted viewpoint. sometimes. I wish I could go back to being a kid again but with what I have learned about the world, corruption and bigotry and then start to give all the manipulative, authoritarian creeps a piece of my mind.

12. Paddyswurds 21 Jun 2012, 7:12pm

“The Catholic Education Service was not aware at the time the Coalition for Marriage petition is only meant to be signed by people over the age of 16.”…yea right, and I wasn’t aware the Queen was a Prod. But I am aware that Gove is of the Roman Paedophile Cult, and his reaction is entirely what we expected and as such should consider his ability to be effective in keeping Faith Schools in line…..

1. Cardinal Capone 21 Jun 2012, 7:24pm

No he’s not, he’s Church of Scotland/ Anglican

1. Paddyswurds 21 Jun 2012, 8:48pm

oops My Bad!Thought I read somewhere that he was of the vile Roman Cult… But that he is affiliated to any religion casts some doubt on his reasoning ability especially where the Abrahamic Cults are concerned of whatever hue…..

13. The Catholics have been blurring the line for some time now between religion and politics, since Guy Fawkes tried to kill the king and his government and set up a Catholic Christian dictatorship in it’s place. Most of you know them as Anonymous who wear the mask of Guy Fawkes who was a Catholic terrorist as are many of the Catholic Christian members of Anonymous who his behind the mask so nobody knows they are Christians, much like the KKK.

1. Will the headteacher be reading out a speech against divorce then any time soo?. The catholic church is against it. Unlikely, much easier to pick on society’s most vulnerable.

14. “I was unintentionally being a bigot, m’lud” Is that a new defence?
    Gove is a religious nutter of the most mendacious type so he was never going to give the CES a hard time. And don’t forget this was the fool who used taxpayers money to send KJ babbles to schools.

1. Whoops! left out an apostrophe!

2. And he could have sent “The Greatest Show on Earth” by Richard Dawkins. That would have been money well spent.

3. Gove has said publicly that he supports same-sex marriage so is he a religious nutter?

1. He only “supports” same-sex marriage because he is in the cabinet and tows the party line. Gove is the sort of person who shakes your hand while knifing you in the back.

15. Cameroon can legalize equal marriage, his party can endorse it, but nothing will make you and your party to win reelection in 2015, we are counting on his fingers, the days and hours to see his conservative garbage on the street

1. If you must be a troll at least try and make sense. Cameroon? As in the country? “his party…nothing will make you and your party to win”? First, who exactly are you addressing?, Second, that makes no sense. “We are counting on his fingers” Are you really? Does he know?

1. Do not get angry elector tory, Its conservative garbage will not be re-elected in 2015. Your dear leader, David will not convince the gay community again, we will not fall into that story again.

1. Or just ignore what I say and talk more nonsense. Oh well, I tried. And fyi I’m Scottish, really think I’m an elector tory, or Tory voter which I assume is what you actualy mean?

16. Craig Denney 22 Jun 2012, 12:22am

Michael Gove has said that he will work with the Chair of the Church of England’s Board to extend the role of the Church in the provision of schools. And is he the guy that sent a King James Bible to every state school in the country whether they wanted it or not?

Oh yes, and did he announce today (by himself) in the right wing Tory newspaper the Daily mail that he wants to send state education back 30 years?

Mr Gove,
    Your religious friends must be putting a lot of pressure on you and you’ve snapped! If I was you I would self-admit your self into a mental asylum ASAP!

17. The school didn’t know that children under 16 can’t sign national petitions. A resounding advert for the quality of their knowledge and education.

1. Also, for the ability of CES to read, form opinion and understand logic and reasoning!

If the advisory group on education can not read small print before they involve pupils …

18. This is the most honest appraisal of this issue, by Ricky Woods:

“it is disappointing that there is no sign of compassion from the Department for Education for gay and lesbian pupils at schools like St Philomena’s, who had to sit through an assembly in which gay marriage and civil partnerships were described as being ‘unnatural’. Such behaviour will leave pupils feeling isolated from the very body that is meant to be looking after them; it cannot be right that this is an acceptable part of the British school system”

Gove appears to know that what CES and the school did was wrong – but lacks the moral fibre or determination to tackle it.

19. Michael Gove is proving yet again what a fool he is!

20. Unintentional? Yeah! Right!! Gove just proves his own stupidity if he swallowed that whopper of a lie!!!