BBC to axe its radio network’s only LGBT programme

1. Given their appalling and transparent bias during the equal marriage debate I’m shocked a programme like this has even been allowed to exist on the BBC on any level

1. They rarely seem to have a problem with featuring gays who are really figures of fun? Not the type of role model most young gays would feel comfortable with.

2. David Josef 21 Jun 2012, 11:14am

Hitting the people the majority will not care about. ‘Well it’s is not me’ attitude. But knowing we are the most vociferous – tactics at Aunty methinks. We vote, others more complacent. BBC showing how to ‘really hurt’ those who matter – their dig at government cuts in the Jeremy Hunt negotiation to freeze funding.
    It is all propaganda, like the ‘Gay People do not want Marriage’ – our taxes, our licence fee, our BBC.
    I am a gay man, pay taxes, no children, support education, I am a person who has only a few friends. It is my way of feeling part of a community.
    What can we do?

3. Why has the BBC become more and more anti LGBT and more so, only reporting against LGBT equality issues. This is yet another example by closing down Citizen Manchester. I once thought that the BBC was unbiased or was my head in the sand like theirs is now?

4. Craig Denney 21 Jun 2012, 11:28am

Why has this story been snubbed PN?

Is someone trying to get a job with them?

1. Huh?

Pink News are running the story – you are able to comment on it – what do you mean?

1. Craig Denney 21 Jun 2012, 2:11pm

Surprise surprise, now its the lead story! Perhaps it would be better to wait until PN has all the facts before publishing it? It’s not as if any other gay press is going to get there before you.

1. Craig, what on Earth are you on about? The story wasn’t snubbed by PN, as pointed out you can comment on it. (If your point is that earlier it was at the bottom of the page and now appears at the top then you need to be aware that that happens for every new story).

Perhaps instead of some mad rant you could actually explain what your problem is?

1. Absolutely.

Sounds as though Craig has an axe to grind against PN.

His claims (as I understand them) don’t add up to the facts as I see them!

2. Bepus

5. This is a clear example of the anti gay agenda of the BBC.

How can axing a volunteer run programme lead to significant savings?

That argument sounds duplicitous to me – but given the biased coverage of issues affecting LGBT people and their bias against LGBT equality recently – I expect nothing else from an organisation run by two Catholics.

Shameful, biased, ignorant lies by the BBC in this appalling cut.

6. Perhaps they are following orders from above and I don’t mean God, though the people concerned maybe arrogant enough to believe that God talks to them?

1. It retains a good dollop of homophobia at the upper levels of management.

At one point they were sending managers on courses designed to teach them how to bully their staff, and it had a serious issue with harassment of staff by managers, but that was revealed and they came clean and changed.

But I don’t think they ever did anything about their other issues. Oh yes, they can tick boxes for how many from each different group they employ, but it’s meaningless if managers themselves don’t have the right attitude towards people.

7. I worked for them for a decade. They might like to think of themselves as progressive, but they aren’t gay friendly.

They’ve had any number of opportunities to make reasoned documentaries telling our stories, to promote equality and the true face of the LGBT community, but have deliberately not done so.

As to this story — the most shocking element of it — I had absolutely no idea that the BBC had any type of LGBT radio show, and it would not have even occurred to me to search through their web site.

I have listened to hundreds of podcasts from their website, but never once come across a link to any LGBT radio show.

1. Spot on, I had no idea either that the BBc had a LGBT show.

2. I had no idea this show existed either. Maybe more of us would’ve listened to the show had we known about it

1. With you there Samantha

8. Robert in S. Kensington 21 Jun 2012, 12:45pm

Boycott the BBC, withhold our licence fees, expose it for what it is, a homophobic, anti-equality, bigot-ridden religion- kow-towing institution.

9. Is there a contact number so we can pester the BBC over this issue?

1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/

03700 100 222*
      03700 100 212* (textphone)
      *24 hours, charged as 01/02 geographic numbers

BBC Complaints
      PO Box 1922
      Darlington
      DL3 0UR

Already made my complaint!

1. Craig Denney 21 Jun 2012, 2:16pm

What about an FoI request detailing expenditure on Religious programs and another request for expenditure on LGBT programs?

Then we could all contact our MP’s with the evidence.

1. Feel free to go ahead an do it then, Craig

1. Craig Denney 21 Jun 2012, 3:50pm

My tiff with PN is irreverent.

By the time the BBC replies to the FoI request, the story will have moved on and I’m not going to waist my time asking PN to run a story for me, because they wont. They are more lightly to run a story for Stu, than me.

2. Any articles I have had published are because I have done the legwork.

If you do the legwork and write an article they like, I am sure they would publish it.

FOI time limits apply to media groups the same as they do to individuals.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 21 Jun 2012, 3:53pm

Good point, Craig. It would be interesting to find out what the response would be.

10. Instead of cutting this local programme it should go national.

11. The Director-General might like to explain the BBC’s record of anti-LGBT bias when he speaks at the Stonewall education conference next month –

1. Robert in S. Kensington 21 Jun 2012, 1:32pm

As well as give little or no coverage to supporters of equal marriage too! It kow-tows to religion, left, right and centre. I don’t want my tv licence paying for bigotry and reflecting only one view.

2. Craig Denney 21 Jun 2012, 2:21pm

Well spotted, Dave!

12. “issues affecting the Jewish, Irish, gay and transgender communities would be covered by mainstream local programming” oh very funny, i was rolling in the aisles

13. GingerlyColors 21 Jun 2012, 2:21pm

LGBT people are becoming increasingly featured in mainstream television programmes and therefore the need for a separate LGBT radio or TV station is waning. Having said that it we still need LGBT interest programming in the same way that there are programmes aimed at the black and Asian communities.

1. That There Other David 21 Jun 2012, 2:36pm

Having an EastEnders character going through the “tortured” process of coming out (including melodramatic negative reactions from relatives) isn’t the same as having actual LGBT-orientated programming.

1. And no sooner he comes out than he murders a well-loved character.

2. GingerlyColors 22 Jun 2012, 6:55am

Then there was the relationship between Captain Jack Harkness and Ianto Jones in ‘Torchwood’, which was tragically cut short by Ianto’s death in the third series of the Dr. Who spin-off. There is a campaign to bring him back and a shrine to him at Mermaid Wharf in Cardiff which I plan to visit in the next couple of weeks.

1. Spanner1960 23 Jun 2012, 10:11am

He was a nice character, but I think that shrine is going a little OTT! From what I can tell, there is actually little chance of Torchwood itself returning due to Russell T. Jones’ non-involvement due to personal reasons.

14. Art Pearson 21 Jun 2012, 4:31pm

If all of you who support this program get off your butts and lean on the BBC, you’ll be amazed at how quickly things can be reversed.

15. The BBC thinks that putting gay sex in their series and novels, with melodramatic stories that resemble Mexican soap operas like” Maria del neighborhood” is to give visibility to the gay community.Not is, we want real programs that talk about reality, not melodrama.

16. Kornelijus Norvidas 21 Jun 2012, 6:27pm

Sorry, I live in homophobic Lithuania, and can not accuse ‘bbc world’ as ‘homophobic’. Its one of the most gay-friendly programs, I think.

1. Maybe it’s not too bad by Lithuanian standards, but it’s not as good as other UK broadcasters

17. Mark Thompson BBC Director General is a catholic as is Chris Patten [Head of the board of governors]. So no surprise there; don’t suppose the beeb will be cutting their religious propaganda either. Also, the BBC are spending millions moving to Manchester and a lot of money ferrying people between London and Manchester – some of whom fly.

1. GulliverUK 21 Jun 2012, 9:19pm

I didn’t know he was a Catholic, but everybody who works at the BBC thinks he’s an arse. The man is a sell-out. He climbed up through the ranks, knows the business, then as soon as he became DG he lost it and switched to the dark-side — bean-counting ! Knows the value of nothing and has run up an “impressive” expense account for himself and other highly paid knobs.

I kept my mouth completely shut for 10 years and never said a word, but I completely disagree with the license fee. Some people are on £9kpa and have to pay the same as those on £90k. That alone is unfair. It has a royal mandate to produce programmes covering every aspect of the UK – but we get left out time and time again. I remember the yearly joke was how many seconds of coverage would they give to 500,000 people on a Pride march — about 30.

They had GayTime TV, but that was long ago, and now we’re invisible. What we really need is our own TV channel, with gay romance films, documentaries, news, etc.

1. Spanner1960 23 Jun 2012, 10:18am

Hmm. I used to think along those lines too. Check the top dogs at most charities and you will find them on big bucks. The point is, just because you work for a charity doesn’t mean you should be one. If you want the right people for the job, you have to pay them, or they will go somewhere else that does.

I’m sure Thompson is probably all you say, but who would you replace him with? Anybody else comparable in the broadcasting / television field in the private sector is going to be demanding just as much, and probably a lot more.

18. Sorry, this seems to be just a stupid move based on cashing in points for ‘cutting cost’ while also apeasing the anti-LGBTQI lobby……
    And somehow I do get the feeling that lobby already has infiltrated the BBC, looking at the reporting on some LGBTQI news using the worst bigots in the country to comment…

19. Spanner1960 22 Jun 2012, 9:08am

Oh, here we go again with anti-Aunty rhetoric. I suppose the Beeb are anti-Semitic and anti-Irish too?

You people whinge on about the BBC spending you hard-earned licence fee, yet moan when they cut back on what is really a fringe service that I doubt very many listen to anyway.

If this was a national show, it would be a different matter, but I wish people would just look at the reality instead of jumping on the old persecution bandwagon.

Just because somebody does something that may not support LGBT people does not necessarily make them homophobic.

1. Spanner1960 22 Jun 2012, 9:12am

Edit:
      Oops, I just re-read the article, and it is a national programme.
      As long is it can be shown there are enough listeners, then it should be supported. Hands up who has even heard of it? I hadn’t.

1. Perhaps one of the issues in this (amongst other possibilities!) is that the BBC have not publicised this programme sufficiently?

1. Spanner1960 22 Jun 2012, 10:45pm

Absolutely. One gets the feeling though that in a lot of cases they are simply ‘going through the motions’ rather than being what the BBC is meant to be all about – being a public service broadcaster, instead of trying to appeal to the masses and upping their ratings.

20. Liz anderson 29 Jul 2012, 2:05pm

” … regular life” How dare she!

So, sit on your laurels do something about it – I am going to try!