Andrew Mitchell: Most pensioners support equal marriage plans when properly explained

1. I think most people in the world would approve of marriage equality if it was properly explained to them. Thanks to the power-mongering and ignorance of many of our religious and political leaders, it isn’t.

1. Jock S. Trap 21 Jun 2012, 1:35pm

Indeed and proof of that was when a certain Catholic Cardinal ordered his discriminating and deliberately misleading statement against marriage Equality be read out in all it’s churches even though the information was incorrect, misleading and just plan wrong.

2. Of course that’s mostly always going to be the case, if you can make a clear argument then it’s difficult to argue.

The only problem to this is we have groups like C4M and plenty of the mainstream media(including our dear old licence payer funded BBC) who almost always seem to publicise the negative scaremongering of the Church spokespeople, potential of polygamy(or other such acts) and so on and so on

3. This doesn’t surprise me at all, especially regarding elderly church-goers. I recently heard an old woman on a radio phone-in declaiming against her church being forced to marry gay couples. When told that the poposals concerned civil marriage only, she was genuinely surprised. You have to wonder what sort of guff is being fed to these people via pulpits and Parish Newsletters.

1. Jock S. Trap 21 Jun 2012, 1:40pm

These people don’t think, that’s the problem. They think marriage they only think religious marriage. Of course the Church and media (some) play on that even though they know it to be wrong and misleading. This is their idea of faith mind, to mislead with false material.

I hope actually that this falseness is what shows up religion for what it is…petty. And what about those religions who want to marriage all equally? Why should So called ‘religious freedom’ deny them the right to marry saqme sex couples?

Religion stoops so low to get what it wants…. Lets hope some get so low they fall off!

1. WantsToKnow 21 Jun 2012, 2:16pm

I don’t know much about religion… but isn’t there some admonishen against “bearing false witness”? The church should be ashamed of themselves.

4. Robert in S. Kensington 21 Jun 2012, 12:54pm

Telling congregants the opposite of the what the intended equal marriage law will convey is really an exercise in dishonesty, deceit and downright lying, all contrary to christian values and a violation of the 8th commandment, i.e. bearing false witness against one’s neighbour. The hypocrisy and bigotry of the mainstream cults need to be exposed once and for all. The government should make a national broadcast, repeatedly if need be that equal marriage in no way impedes on religious cults to marry us and is purely a civil matter for registrars and others authorised to perform such marriages.

1. Jock S. Trap 21 Jun 2012, 1:41pm

“dishonesty, deceit and downright lying”

Ah, all friends of the religious extremist!

1. Robert in S. Kensington 21 Jun 2012, 3:58pm

Quite! They have no shame either.

5. I note the article omits that it’s Lib Dem party policy to support religious same-sex marriages for willing organisations, when it mentions the Labour and Tory figures who support this.

6. Great to hear that the government recognise that the majority of the population support equal marriage and that religious organisations and the C4M have not been telling the truth about the issue.

7. Jock S. Trap 21 Jun 2012, 1:32pm

It’s all very well explaining, yes it Is the best things to do. The problem we have is that even though we all know religions will not be force to do such ceremonies the media and in particular the Daily Mail and Daily Telegraph purposely lie to get back against marriage equality.

It’s all very well having the ‘freedom of the press’ but where does that freedom says they may deliberately lie and mislead in order to get their own warped point across, no matter what.

These papers should be tackled and made to tell it how it is Not make it up to suit their own ends!

1. Press Complaints Council?

8. Robert in S. Kensington 21 Jun 2012, 1:35pm

To digress, I just learned that Rock of Ages and X Factor star, Shayne Ward has just come out for equal marriage. Well done, Shayne and thank you.

1. Fantastic.

More celebrities who are respected by various interest groups are important.

Be good to get some older ones too eg Judi Dench? Cliff Richard?

1. Robert in S. Kensington 21 Jun 2012, 3:57pm

Stu, absolutely. I’m hoping that the older celebrities will join the support, ideally straight ones. I’m surprised Maggie Smith hasn’t or Judi. At least Shayne Ward will appeal to the younger generation and help promote support among that group even though many of them already do. He has a huge following. Every bit helps.

9. I take this as an indication that the government know what the right thing to do is, intend doing it, and know most UK people support them in it – regardless of the risible deceptions and rhetoric of ignorant and malevolent people and organisations such as Sentamu, O’Brien, Nolland, McCartney, C4M, Anglican Mainstream, the Telegraph and the BBC.

10. I really do hope the government will allow religious same sex marriage for gay-friendly faiths and avoid the needless faff of a legal challenge.

11. Julian Morrison 21 Jun 2012, 2:25pm

How long have you been waiting, in your writing career, to use “antidisestablishmentarianism” in an unquoted sentence?

1. Just what I came on to say! I’ve been surprised at how few journalists have succumbed to the temptation – or risen to the challenge – to use this glorious Victorian word.

It may not be our longest word – science speak has taken that spot: http://www.merriam-webster.com/help/faq/long_words.htm – but it still has excellent cadence.

It really deserves better than being associated with antidisestablishmentarians!

12. I wonder wonder what the people of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch on the island of Anglesey in Wales think of antidisestablishmentarianism

1. David Waite 21 Jun 2012, 8:21pm

I wonder what persons from Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch* say when they go abroad and are asked where they’re from. I’ve always enjoyed introducing students to antidisestablishmentarianism. I tell them that mastery of it will forever make shorter English words less intimidating to them.

*Yes, I cheated; I used copy and paste. In my defence, since it was the first time I’d ever seen this wonderful name, I didn’t want to risk a misspelling. As it is I have to check all my comments to make sure I’ve used British rather than American spelling (e.g. “defence” instead of “defense”) when I post here.

1. Does anyone know the Welsh for “antidisestablishmentarianism”? :D

13. Dennis Velco 21 Jun 2012, 6:37pm

Thanks for this article and your reporting. I just booked marked you as a new source as I curate global LGBT news & resources and group moderator.  What you do is appreciated.

I posted it to my LGBT Group on LinkedIn to spur members to read your article and to make comment. I also scooped it at Scoop.It on my LGBT Times news mashup.

Link to group >> http://www.linkedin.com/groups/LGBT-Gay-GLBT-Professional-Network-63687/about

All LGBT+ and community allies…. please come join me and 14,000 of your soon to be great friends on LinkedIn. The member base represents 80% of the world’s countries.

It is strictly professional office friendly dialog, posting and profiles / profile images. I’ve been told by many that it may well be one of the best run / managed groups on LinkedIn. It even has several LinkedIn top executives as members.

You can be as out or private as you like and I provide instructions on how to set those preferences.

14. My parents love the idea of same-sex marriage (especially my mother!)- and they’re an interracial couple in their late seventies and early eighties.

1. Mr. & Mrs. Craig Snr. sound like a great couple. Do you think they might be up for making an “Out4Marriage” video for us? And out of curiosity, did they get any hassle from The Great British Public when they got together?