Uganda to dissolve 38 NGOs which ‘promote homosexuality’

1. If it wasn’t so serious I would point and laugh – RECRUITING – oh come on, that ignorant old chestnut – ah, but then when did Uganda, Catholic and truth ever come in the same sentence!

“the right wing’s perpetual insistence that gay men and lesbians try to ”recruit” young people to homosexuality by disseminating art and writing (or in support groups against bullying etc) that ”promotes” the homosexual life style. Of course, to any gay person who, as a frightened and confused teenager, searched desperately for books or films or television shows that offered even a mention of homosexual experience to latch on to, the idea of gay ”recruitment” is laughable. It is also profoundly insulting.”

2. When will they realise it’s not a choice?

1. When they get a brain.

1. I think we have more chance of seeing a snow ball in hell (if the place actually existed) before they realise that being gay is not a choice

2. When they evolve enough to shake off the superstitions and blind ignorance that Religion has brainwashed them with.

3. Jock S. Trap 20 Jun 2012, 9:48pm

Sadly they will chose not to realise, it’s seems they think somehow it gives them power to kick some in society and then say their religious texts told them it was ok to do so.

3. That There Other David 20 Jun 2012, 6:10pm

And in the next breath they’ll berate Europeans for our out-of-date views about Africa, and how we should realise that their countries are not the backwards African states of old.

Have no doubt though. Religion is once again behind this. Whenever a Christian tells you that they don’t hate gay people ask them if they know what is happening in Uganda. Explain what missionaries from the Vatican and American evangelical churches have done.

4. Simon Lokodo, ‘ethics minister’ — looks like a drag king

1. Scott Lovely 21 Jun 2012, 12:47pm

King?

1. Yeah — he looks like a chick in man drag

5. Dennis Velco 20 Jun 2012, 6:42pm

Thanks for this article and your reporting. I just booked marked you as a new source as I curate global LGBT news & resources and group moderator.  What you do is appreciated.

I posted it to my LGBT Group on LinkedIn to spur members to read your article and to make comment. I also scooped it at Scoop.It on my LGBT Times news mashup.

Link to group >> http://www.linkedin.com/groups/LGBT-Gay-GLBT-Professional-Network-63687/about

All LGBT+ and community allies…. please come join me and 14,000 of your soon to be great friends on LinkedIn. The member base represents 80% of the world’s countries.

1. Paddyswurds 20 Jun 2012, 6:58pm

Have the security concerns at Linkedin.com been addressed yet and if so how…..??

1. That There Other David 20 Jun 2012, 7:50pm

Yes. They’ve updated the mobile platform app and added salt digests to the passwords.

1. Paddyswurds 21 Jun 2012, 6:59pm

That’s great, however it is a concern that these measures weren’t in place from the beginning. Shutting the stable door when the horse has escaped is a little late.

6. More black on black crime. When are these people ever going to start helping each other and stop destroying each other and trying to make their fellow man into a slave. Again the Catholics and Christians are behind this madness and promoting anti-gay Christian hate of LGBT people. These people act more like animals than Christians.

1. Paddyswurds 20 Jun 2012, 7:05pm

It is no surprise that this is Uganda, who along with what is now Zimbabwe enabled the infamous slave trade when it was at its height. Black people enslaved millions of their own people,including their own families, and brought them to the infamous Elmina Castle on the Ivory Coast to be sold to European and American slave traders. Ignorant barbarians ….. no surprise either that this lug was once a Roman Cult priest….

1. If you must talk about slavery, in fact it’s far more likely that Zanzibar would have been the trading post for slaves from Uganda than Ghana (“Ivory Coast”), which is over 2000 miles away. (Of course some people think all Africans are the same, they are all dark after all [sarcasm alert]).

2. ‘Black on black’ – what’s your point? Is it worse than black-on-white or white-on-black? What, in fact, does their colour have to do with anything?

1. Paddyswurds 21 Jun 2012, 9:45am

GODWIN ALERT!! Talking about the failings of Black people who presume to talk falsely about the failings of Europeans (NGOs) is not racist as you seem to imply. GODWIN ALERT….. For your info slavery was carried on the entire length of the west coast of the African continent, but then that sort of fact doesn’t sit well with the pedantic. In this case this ignorant homophobic pig happens to be Ugandan and the fact I mentioned Elmina Castle is because it immediately came to mind as probably the most notorious slave trading post. I am not a fan of Wikipedia as seems to be the wont of several commentators on these pages. Btw, exactly years did you spend in Africa?

1. Lol!! Who are you to call anyone else pedantic?!

Hahaha!

2. Poor dear, you don’t really know what Godwin’s Law is, do you (no-one has brought the N@zis into this discussion)? Time you started checking out Wikipedia maybe, I daresay it’s a little more reliable than the Paddyswurds Encyclopaedia.

And if you want to split hairs, you might want to note that Uganda is considerably closer to the east coast of Africa, where much there was also much trading in slaves, though mainly with the Arab world and some European colonial powers.

1. ‘where there was also much’ I mean (one ‘much’ too many).

2. Paddyswurds 21 Jun 2012, 6:55pm

I am perfectly aware or what Godwins Law is, and I have observed your use of it regularly when your diatribes are questioned.
            Godwins law, while primarily referring to the Naz1s can also be analogously be referred to when the Racism card is played in an effort to stifle debate as most people know what Godwins law is and how it works.
            I don’t think distance was a concern of those in the slave trade…or for that matter geography as the Europeans paid much better for the slaves than did the Arabs…
            Encyclopedia Britannica or Websters are notably better,if one needs one, than an encyclopedia that any idiot can edit or submit articles to such as wikipedia.
            Some European powers?

3. You are living in a dream world Paddikins, I hope it’s fun there. Meantime, back on earth you’re making no sense: I don’t think I have ever brought up the N@zis in a discussion, it’s not my style at all. And on Planet Paddy racism might fall under Godwin’s Law but it doesn’t anywhere else, I assure you.

It is in no way racist to point out elementary errors in geography (especially in one so tediously pompous), or to question why black-on-black violence is seen as somehow worse than white-on-white or indeed any other combination.

4. Some European powers

Yes, the Dutch for example used African slave labour in some of their Asian colonies. I believe the Portuguese did too.

7. Omar Kuddus 20 Jun 2012, 7:20pm

THEN BAN HIM.
    HOW MUCH LONGER IS THE WEST GOING TO STAY QUITE AND LET UGANDA TRAMPLE ALL OVER LGBT’s RIGHTS.
    THE TIME NOT TO ENFORCE SANCTIONS AND LIMIT AID, UNLESS HUMAN RIGHTS ARE IMPROVED HAS LONG PAST.
    I honestly wish religion and in perticular one faction of Christianity would realise the differance between hate, politics and their views. Governments are based on cival law, not on a “book” or religion.

1. Ban him from what?

8. Probably the real reason why these NGOs have been banned has nothing to do with their ‘promotion of homosexuality’ and everything to do with their refusal to pay kick-backs and bribes to the relevant authorities.

This is Africa after all – why do you think the continent is mired in grinding poverty.

9. “We (the UK) will spend an average of £89 million per year in Uganda until 2015″..(http://www.dfid.gov.uk/uganda) Perhaps it’s about time we stopped such nonsense…

1. I have emailed them to ask why we are giving them money, we should all do the same.

2. Scott Lovely 21 Jun 2012, 12:42pm

Don’t forget all the military aid from the US too, to fight the terrorists of the “Lord’s Resistance Army”.

3. Unfortunately, stopping giving aid to a country like Uganda because of their record on gay rights can actually have the opposite of it’s intended effect and cause more problems than it could potentially solve. Ugandans will then blame homosexuals for problems in their country due to aid being stopped and then start attacfking gay people to a worse degree.

SOURCE: Lived three months in Uganda last year doing aid work, and I made friends with a number of gay Ugandans, so I often get an inside perspective on what is going on out there.

10. Jock S. Trap 20 Jun 2012, 9:44pm

Yet again the ignorant religious spread lies and hatred, choosing to remain so uneducated purely to satisfy their own chosen lifestyles.

They cannot see that They recruit into chosen religious lifestyle through fear and instead spew their projection onto others no matter how innocent.

These people need to be forced to look at themselves to see the damage they do to humanity, All in the name of religion.

Shameful yet typical, they chose to harm and it’s time humanity fought back.

11. You can’t recruit someone to be gay. But as he’s a former Catholic priest, perhaps ‘Simon Lokodo’ know quite a lot about recruiting children.

12. Errol Semple 20 Jun 2012, 11:03pm

The crazy things that come out of those big lips!

1. Errol Semple 20 Jun 2012, 11:09pm

Thick lips with a thicker brain.

13. Simon Lokodo is a former Catholic priest – the largest pedophile organization in the world. The Ugandan government appears to be run by child molesters who attack gay children and use the threat of life imprisonment against gay people to keep their gay victims silent. The Ugandan government should be removed from the planet for its crimes against gay children.

14. GingerlyColors 21 Jun 2012, 7:23am

Just keep digging that hole, Uganda.

15. Empty rhetoric. I bet this guy is so incompetent and lazy that he wouldn’t be able to implement such a policy even if he wanted to. It probably plays well to rural voters in Uganda, and is a (desperate) way to get his political career noticed. Probably best to wait and see as to what actually happens. Meanwhile why bother to invest in Uganda or visit as a tourist?

16. Has anyone noticed that florid homophobia is most rampant in the most corrupt and misgoverned states? We seem to have a lot of distraction value.

17. George Broadhead 21 Jun 2012, 11:05am

No surprise to learn that Lokodu is a former Catholic priest, is it?

18. Nothing unites stupid people like a common enemy to blame for you problems. This way you can cover up all the corruption while people are looking in the other direction.

19. Scott Lovely 21 Jun 2012, 11:53am

Never trust fat politicians from places with malnutrition.

Plus he’s a defrocked priest. Projecting much?

20. Ta da!

21. Garry Cassell 21 Jun 2012, 1:41pm

Just when I think “it’s can’t get any worst” I get another reminder of how stupid some people really are…I want to think when I read some of these articles that it’s fiction…but no it’s real people in a very stupid country..leaders who want to take advantage of hatred to meet their own goals…You don’t catch “gay” like a flu…don’t be so F***king stupid Uganda…

22. Yes of course I can remember interviewing some young welsh lads in my village just last week. One joined, his muffin basket and the welcoming kit hasn’t arrived yet I’m afraid. But he already signed two more who might be interested – Ah I can still remeber my first interview – They gave me a reduced offer you know :)P

23. “Recruited”? I feel like we are being likened to terrorists. How insulting.

24. The more I read about Uganda the more I think that all aid and trade to that country should be stopped.

1. I would just like to refer you to a post I made above:

Unfortunately, stopping giving aid to a country like Uganda because of their record on gay rights can actually have the opposite of it’s intended effect and cause more problems than it could potentially solve. Ugandans will then blame homosexuals for problems in their country due to aid being stopped and then start attacking gay people to a worse degree. This has already been happening.