Australia: MP wishes wife a happy anniversary in speech against marriage for gay couples

1. Jesus moran 20 Jun 2012, 1:52pm

He sounds familiar to some kind of bigot here in america a.k.a heterosexual republican men= disgusting period!

1. As embarrasing to Australia as Sir Les Patterson, but with less sensitivity than Sir Les.

1. And a great deal less wit.

2. Stuart Neyton 20 Jun 2012, 1:53pm

i find it bizarre how far political opinion is behind public opinion on this issue in Australia. John Murphy represents inner-city Sydney, as does Tony Abbott. They’re hardly representing the outback.

“wishing happy birthday to your son as part of a eulogy you’re delivering for someone else’s child. That you had a hand in killing.” —- what a fantastic response!

3. He’s an idiot!

4. That There Other David 20 Jun 2012, 1:55pm

This man has absolutely no clue. I hope his wife sees just how offensive this aside to his speech is. With any luck she’ll leave him.

5. JACKA$$

6. I hope his wife was suitably embarrassed.

1. I doubt it, probably oblivious to the crassness.

7. what a sicko

8. Self centred fool. Talk about pushing someone’s nose into it.

9. I’m looking forward to the day his marriage fails of its own accord and then we can point out to him that it became meaningless because of them, and not because two strangers of the same sex were married. What a twit.

10. It’s his girlfriend isn’t it?
    I say don’t recognise his marriage until he recognises ours, fairs fair.

11. Arrogant idiot!

Firstly, to rub salt in the wound of opposing equality by then sticking up two fingers and saying – hey, I am married – and I am going to enjoy preventing you from being able to – just because you are gay, and because I can – is arrogant, inhumane and bigoted.

Secondly, his reasoning is fatuous and false.

We have seen these warnings time and again in every nation where equal marriage has been suggested. When it is introduced do any of these crazy theories come true – no. In fact, in most (if not all) countries where equal marriage occurs, marriage is strengthened by equality – and more heterosexuals marry than prior to the equalising of marriage.

Is it a surprise to find a fatuous comment from Murphy? No, In September 2008, Murphy complained to Parliament that his wife received an inadequate portion of beef stroganoff, that she had bought from the parliamentary cafeteria. Murphy subsequently apologized for the misuse of parliamentary time following concerns

1. raised by the media and fellow parliamentarians.

Oh and of course, in 2011, John Murphy, Labor MP for the seat of Reid in western Sydney, kicked the political hornet’s nest when he advised members of the Australian Labor Party who support same-sex marriage to ”join the Greens”. Is this petulant “my way or the highway” approach reflective of the attitude of his electorate? I think not. One person’s obstinate, black or white view should not be allowed to take precedence over the collective view of the almost 90,000 constituents in the electorate of Reid.

Murphy, a bigot who seeks to behave in the most offensive way possible by displaying arrogance and attitude – yes, thats his normal MO.

12. John Murphy,the same MP who said he did not believe there was overwhelming public support for same-sex marriage and that he wants a referendum on the matter.

Mr Murphy said Labor members who support marriage equality should “join the Greens”.

The Lidcombe branch of the ALP has carried a motion in favour of marriage equality in response to Murphy.

Murphy was rebuked by one of his own branch presidents, Gina Wilson who said her members wanted Mr Murphy to acknowledge that he did not speak for the Lidcombe branch when he spoke against gay marriage.

Mr Murphy’s call for a referendum was not representative of the views his electorate, she said.

There is no constitutional change required to amend the Marriage Act to allow same-sex couples to wed.

A Roy Morgan poll has shown support for marriage equality is as high as 68%. Other polls are higher.

Murphy’s behaviour is vile homophobia.

Strangely, Murphy has links to the Australian Christian Lobby – that wonderfully bigoted group who

1. who were recently ridiculed on Aussie TV

So its unsurprising he uses lies, rhetoric and bigotry because facts, truth, evidence, love, equality and civil rights of others do not matter to him at all.

13. Meanwhile three more Australian Federal MPs have come out in support for marriage equality in the past 24 hours. Just so everyone on Pink News knows. We are also progressing in Australia too, or does Pink News only report the bad stuff from Australia?

1. I have no doubt that events in Australia will result in real and meaningful equality.

As soon as the Greens have enough support for a bill on equal marriage – I am certain they will bring it to parliament.

14. My favourite Australian Quotes re equal marriage are:

“Denying one group within a society the right to marry deliberately cuts right to the core of the emotional world of those individuals. Today, most people can’t imagine a situation where blacks and whites, or Jews and non-Jews would still be banned from marriage, not here in Australia. But some of us do not need to stretch our imaginations because we are living in a state of marriage apartheid… in Australia… right now… ”
    Kerryn Phelps, former President of the Federal Australian Medical Assoc

and:
    “Our attitude towards homosexuals and their right to marry needs to change. There is no logical argument against gay marriage. There are many countries that have been progressive enough to allow it and funnily enough the sky hasn’t fallen in. If you think about it, it’s really simple. If two people love each other, why should they not be allowed to marry?”
    The Advocate (newspaper in Tasmania)

15. Cardinal Capone 20 Jun 2012, 4:06pm

It’s interesting that conservatives (“Liberals” (sic)), in Australia are being whipped against equal marriage – so not a conscience issue for them, whereas Conservatives in the UK are being given a free vote to vote against government policy, as a matter of conscience.

It seems like it’s a ubiquitous rule among conservatives that gay issues are only a matter of conscience if you’re anti gay.

16. Tom’s blog is priceless. Thank you Tom.

17. Runt!

Not quite the word I’m looking for, but as close as I can get.

18. It’s like someone being sat at the front of the bus in fifties America and taunting a passing black person about how good it is at the front of the bus. It’s as bad as that. Probably not deliberate evil, just crass and tasteless. Unbelievably so for someone in a prominent position in a democracy?

1. Why the comparison with black people/civil rights? It’s so tired, can’t we just leave it?

1. Because the comparison is entirely apt!

2. Bob

Is the reason that you do not want a comparison between rights of racial minorities and LGBT rights, something to do with the fact that society (rightly) condemns racial hatred and discrimination – and you do not want to try and defend something that is (rightly) linked to something which society opposes?

Sorry, mate (actually I’m not sorry) – the fact is you neither choose your race nor your orientation therefore, comparison of human and civil rights of racial minorities and LGBT people are entirely appropriate.

3. How about you just leave it. US black civil rights group, The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), endorses equal marriage rights for same sex couples and they say civil marriage is a civil right.

19. ahhh, Australia! the Texas of the southern hemisphere.

1. Geez mate, you hit the bloody nail right on the head. A bonza statement! How so very, very true.

2. Yeah Mikey it is a shame what we LGBT Texans have to deal with. Unfortunately for us the hate is so deep and the uninformed bible thumpers have so much power over what goes on here change is almost non-existant. There are churchs on every corner here, most that condemn the LGBT citizens and dismiss them as choosing to live a lifestyle of their choice. They are unwilling to open their minds. Of course when Gov. Perry is cutting funding for schools (while having one of the lowest academic scores of all the states) and money for public health that shows how stupid he is. Our population is to blame for keeping that nitwit in office and we LGBT have to pay for it.

20. What an asshole

1. He’s an asshole who should shut his piehole.

21. Christopher 20 Jun 2012, 5:58pm

I am ashamed to be part of the same species as him. He brings us ALL down.

22. Descendant of subhuman, degenerate scum…

White heterosexual man running scared!

23. Dennis Velco 20 Jun 2012, 6:46pm

Thanks for this article and your reporting. I just booked marked you as a new source as I curate global LGBT news & resources and group moderator.  What you do is appreciated.

I posted it to my LGBT Group on LinkedIn to spur members to read your article and to make comment. I also scooped it at Scoop.It on my LGBT Times news mashup.

Link to group >> http://www.linkedin.com/groups/LGBT-Gay-GLBT-Professional-Network-63687/about

All LGBT+ and community allies…. please come join me and 14,000 of your soon to be great friends on LinkedIn. The member base represents 80% of the world’s countries.

24. All the Aussies I have met here in the UK have been nice. Do all the nasty ones stay at home? If so, I feel really sorry for the nice ones who are also at home.

25. Time this twat resigned.

26. “In 2008, Mr Murphy was reprimanded by the prime minister and forced to apologise for misusing Parliament’s time”

I am guessing here that this time around Julia Gillard won’t comment!

This man sounds like the typical school bully that mother’s used to defend with the “He didn’t know what he was saying!” he might be grown up now… but his thought processes haven’t matured!

1. She wasn’t pm at the time

27. According to some newspapers in Australia, it appears that not there will be a vote until there is majority to pass . That is all Australians will have to wait until marriage to become legally equal, the more there some states offer registered partnership and the government recognizes these couples ,as de facto, is not ideal, but at least solve some legal problems, and avoid pain head, in key sectors for couples, such as immigration, pension, social security, death of spouse,property rights, access to health system,as I said is not ideal, but until we get equal marriage, it makes life less complicated.

28. Stephen Colbert’s satirical Fox news douchebag persona sums up this guy’s worldview perfectly-
    “All I’m saying is, if…if we provide gay marriage then, then that nulifies my marriage, cause I only got married as a taunt to gay people.
    I wrote my own vows sir, I wrote my own vows and I quote ‘Nerr ner ner ner nerrrr nerrr’”

1. Stephen Colbert does satire in such a delightful way! he’s the best!
      He and Winston Churchill would could have made a “must have” for great dinner guests! lol

“Nerr ner ner ner Nerr nerr”, hit the nail right on the head!

29. What a C*nt. That is all.

1. He’s a pr*ck – No, that’s not right, they are at least useful.

30. What a lucky wife he has. Who wouldn’t want this guy in bed with them for 29 years?!

31. This reminds me of a book I read called “Adam’s Curse: A Future Without Men” by Bryan Sykes who was at the time (2003) professor of human genetics at Oxford University. In it he included a truly dreadful chapter on homosexuality which began “I have worked on inherited diseases for a good part of my scientific career and there is no denying that homosexuality has some of the genetic characteristics that you might find in a serious inherited disease.” What followed was Sykes’s usual pretentious drivel on a subject about which he obviously knew very little. What struck people most, however, was the picture of Sykes that appeared on the back cover of the book in which he posed with his head against his hand, his wedding ring the most prominent feature in the image! He was clearly a bit nervous about something and he certainly became the subject of rumour thereafter, but only because of his rather desperate effort to look heterosexual whilst discussing homosexuality! Mr Murphy, take note!

32. One more reason why I stopped voting for Labor.

33. I heart Tom McLean…

34. Creep!

35. He is the face of sociopathy.

36. What a smug and hateful person. Talk about rubbing people’s faces in it and making them feel second class! That is not the sort of person needed to represent an electorate.