Bulgaria: Church asked to repudiate priest’s call to ‘throw stones’ at Pride

1. When will these religious idiots realise that being gay does not “undoubtedly harms the personality, the family and the society.”

The church and all other religious institutions are doing a perfectly good enough job of damaging society all on its own!

1. Rashid Karapiet 28 Jun 2012, 6:55pm

As I’ve just tweeted, these bigots haven’t the wit or the insight to see it’s their own dark souls they’re stoning. What hatred they must carry under those medieval exteriors. Those who pray should certainly include these pathetic men in their prayers, indeed the whole Orthodox establishment needs some serious invocation of their all-powerful God to shed some light on their poisonous darkness.

2. Rashid Karapiet 28 Jun 2012, 7:04pm

Just when I thought sensible comment on this site had been restored, here’s the puerile ‘Jock S. Trap’ being permitted to trivialise every issue he touches. Who IS this person?

2. This would appear to form a criminal offence.

Encouraging people to commit serious crimes in Bulgaria according to the criminal law code is abetting.

Riot is a serious criminal offence in Bulgaria.

Encouraging large numbers of people to throw weapons at an entire segment of society is encouraging riot.

Unfortunately, hate crime in Bulgaria does not cover issues of orientation – but that does not mean these acts are not illegal, they are.

The Bulgarian authorities must act to prevent riot – by investigating and arresting the religious leaders who are provoking civil unrest.

1. Cardinal Capone 19 Jun 2012, 6:21pm

Good luck with that ;)

1. I didnt say it would happen – just that it should happen

Other EU nations should seek to hold them to account too

1. Spanner1960 20 Jun 2012, 10:50am

There is a gaping hole the size of the Grand Canyon between ‘would’ and ‘should’.

You can bet your arse the police, the justice system and the councils are all totally corrupt and will ultimately do nothing.

I witnessed similar events in Poland only a couple of years back. It seems sadly that nothing changes.

1. There certainly is a big hole.

But if Bulgaria have approrpiate laws in place – its a better starting point for campaigners to seek enforcement of laws that are already in place.

I do not hold out a lot of hope – but determination often surprises people!

2. Spanner1960 20 Jun 2012, 2:39pm

You can have all the laws you want, but if nobody follows them, or more importantly enforces them, then they are only so much hot air.

3. To a certain extent that is very fair.

However, having laws which are not being enforced gives grounds for protest, appeal, complaint, diplomatic action or legal action.

3. It’s a shame the bible doesn’t give us clearer guidelines on this.

If only Jesus had explicitly demonstrated how we should act when being encouraged to throw stones at sexual ‘sinners’

Oh well… I guess we just have to go off what IS in there. Anyone actually read it?

1. actually it really IS sad that so much of the hatred and violence are based upon things which are explicitly NOT in the Bible, while these people really seem to be actively ignoring what IS in the Bible.

2. “I guess we just have to go off what IS in there”

What is there is any excuse you want for slavery, beating women & children, murder, stoning, incest.

Alas, what’s in the bible is such a mess of lunacy and contradiction, its no wonder it appeals to people with mental health issues.

4. Omar Kuddus 19 Jun 2012, 4:46pm

A gay pride event was “immoral” in its view and would constitute a “harmful demonstration that violates the rights of Orthodox Christians”.
    What about non-Christians rights?
    I wish that religion would realize that it is no longer in the driving seat.

1. Spanner1960 20 Jun 2012, 10:53am

Unfortunately, in countries such as Bulgaria, they still are.
      I think a good indicator of how civilised and advanced a country is should be based on its percentage of secular vs religious/spiritual believers.

1. Oh, Bulgaria is secularized enough, despite formal church membership (I don’t know if the communists were more successful here than their Russian counterparts, or it’s just the notorious Bulgarian “heretic” mentality, or something else). There are a lot of very secular people here who are just some kind of cultural-heritage Orthodox Christians.The church is still some kind of authority even as “cultural heritage” – and as such, it feeds even the perfectly secular version of homophobia that we have, but its overall influence is nothing like in Serbia or Russia. So those priests have no chance to achieve their dream of theocracy.

(I wonder if I still count as a member of that church myself, since I was baptized as a child, and I don’t know if any self-excommunicating procedure is even possible.)

5. Omar Kuddus 19 Jun 2012, 5:36pm

If a gay pride event was “immoral” in its view and would constitute a “harmful demonstration that violates the rights of Orthodox Christians”, what about by not having it not violating, non christians rights.
    Their statement is contradictory to the principal of rights.
    I wish religion would understand that it is NO LONGER in power.

6. Christopher 19 Jun 2012, 5:53pm

The priest must have absolved them all of their sin before making that call to stoning…

As I age, I’m sorry that I did not do better in high school physics. Though I did love biology and chemestry… I am truly becoming someone who only believes in science.

Religion was fine so long as it taught respect and humility, but wow, has it sure been corrupted since!!

7. As I have said before this issue is exposing these people like no other issue could ever have done?

They are being smoked out from behind the veil of piety they conceal their hate filled bigotry with.

8. Spoken like child molesters with something to hide.

9. Cardinal Capone 19 Jun 2012, 6:19pm

Lol, so now a Church claims having a gay pride march violates the rights of Christians. Sounds reminiscent of the upside down logic of some of those wilder cases being taken to Europe by zealots here.

10. Suggesting and encouraging people to throw stones and commit violence against others is immoral! There is nothing immoral about being LGBT!

11. Time to show these outspoken religious leaders that their positions don’t absolve them from being responsible… for what they say and try and incite others to do!
    It’s becoming clear that they are both ignorant and isolated from the humanity of their congregations.

Arrest him on his way to church… before he can plead “Sanctuary” and charge him with “intent to insight”

“In a legal sense, the definition of malice refers to the intent of one person to cause harm or damage to another person. A person who acts with malice deliberately violates the law to cause harm to another with no excuse or just cause. It can also include willfully disregarding another person’s rights or the value of human life.”

12. OUTLAW ORGANISED RELIGION –

INHUMAN BIGOTRY POSING AS SUPERSTITION

1. Not all religion is bad only the anti-gay Christians and Muslims who want to kill and harm LGBT people. There are many good LGBT Christians and Muslims, it is the Christian and Muslim religious fanatics who are terrorist who want to harm others. These Christian and Muslim terrorist need to be arrested and put in prison. Arrest the top Christian and Muslim terrorist leaders who want to murder and kill and destroy in the name of their religion and you will see that not all of the Christians and Muslims are bad, the evil ones stir up the others to do bad things.

13. Proof that anti-gay Christians are at work here, suggesting that Christians injure and kill in the name of their God and Religion. Thank God it is still a crime to harm another human being. Get lawyers involved in stopping these hateful and evil anti-gay Christians who promote the stoning of LGBT people and bring these law breakers to justice.

14. I would love to see ANY Orthodox willing to stand up and repudiate this jerk, but I was Orthodox for almost 20 years and know how virulently anitgay the religion is.

I noticed that he didn’t throw stones himself (potentially that could get him defrocked due to a canon against priests being violent) but he has egged others on which is just as bad so far as I am concerned.

I keep praying to God/dess for all GLBT people being persecuted but especially for those being persecuted in the name of religion.

15. I thought the whole point of religion is to promote peace, not violence. It is funny how these crazy clerics seemed to be doing exactly in opposite.

16. soapbubblequeen 27 Jun 2012, 10:48pm

I personally would like to throw a stone at this idiot – a boulder!! But I’d need to change into Wonder Woman perhaps first.