Barnardo’s chief ‘incensed’ by idea straight marriage is best environment to raise children

1. Thank You, Ms Carrie

I love it when reputable heterosexuals from mainstream organisations recognise the dogma and falsehoods that some religious people exhibit.

Incensed is a good word – lets hope many more publically exhibit their “righteous anger” against the bigotry and lies of the likes of Anglican Mainstream, Sentamu and O’Brien.

1. im embarrassed that i had to look up incensed in the dictionary lol :D

2. Tim Chapman 18 Jun 2012, 6:21pm

How do you know she’s heterosexual?

1. It could be a presumption – she may be bisexual – and if I presumed wrongly, I apologise.

However, according to the Barnardos website Ann Marie Carrie is “married to Scott and has a daughter, Helena”

1. Tim Chapman 18 Jun 2012, 7:59pm

No need to apologise, Stu, well, not to me, anyway; I just wondered how you knew her sexual orientation when it wasn’t mentioned in the story.

As you say, it’s great when a reputable heterosexual from a mainstream organisation speaks out for us.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 18 Jun 2012, 2:35pm

Doesn’t get any better than that and from a heterosexual with years of experience. Thank you, Ms. Carrie. Now let’s see how it plays out in the Daily Mail or Telegraph and at the BBC, assuming they acknowledge it.

3. Her comments are indeed most welcome and only further prove what many of us have been saying for a very long time.

4. Oh hush Ms Carrie, how dare you bring little things like facts, experience and truth to a hyperbole fight ;-)

Seriously, a wonderful statement that really shows how shallow, empty and meaningless the arguments against equality truly are.

5. YAY! I’m incensed too.

1. I’m more than incensed… I’m… air-freshenered!

1. LOL! I was thinking along those lines when I saw her choice of adjective :P

6. For me the last few paragraphs are sound commentary from a professional, respected in her field, and who knows what she is talking about (although I love the incensed soundbite most):

“So my support of equal civil marriage does not come from strongly held view about marriage being critical to bringing up children; after all I doubt our LGBT carers will parent any differently as a result of being able to marry.

My support of an equalisation comes from a deeply held belief that this proposal removes yet another distinction between lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender families and straight families. Anything that helps reduce stigma and make families and the children in them feel more accepted can only be a good thing.

Some of our carers have pointed to the proposals not going far enough and as church goers would want to see religious institutions being able to perform marriages between same sex couples. I am sure this debate will rumble on publically and within religious

1. institutions but this consultation is a step in the right direction.”

As a commentator on the Huffington Post said – equal marriage has been around in Canada for many years and the sky has not fallen in!

7. Jan Bridget 18 Jun 2012, 3:17pm

Thank you, Anne Marie. I have been impressed with the way Barnardo’s have moved forward over the past few years. Many LGBT young people are extremely vulnerable thanks to homophobic parents and bullying at school. Now let’s see Barnardo’s taking a lead in developing support for this often neglected group of young people.

8. She’s right, but if those are her firmly held beliefs, she cannot support continuing restrictions on religious same-gender marriages.

9. GingerlyColors 18 Jun 2012, 3:40pm

Well done Barnardos! As a gay man with no children I make a tax-free donation from my wages to Barnardos through Give As You Earn (GAYE) as I feel that I have a duty to help other, needy children. Maybe some of my fellow correspondents could join me in supporting this great charity.

10. Hurrah! Someone actually thinking about children for a change!

11. Thank you!!!!!

12. What a nice lady. Some sense from someone in authority for once.

13. Jock S. Trap 18 Jun 2012, 4:33pm

Who better to speak about this when it is realistic to think that the majority of the children Barnados has seen are from bad Heterosexual parents in one way or another. We not talking about a few children but millions over the years, decade…

A prime example of how dare Christian, Catholic, Muslim etc religious dictate terms according their religious texts when places like Barnados are full of the very reason a lot of parent both straight and religious fail in their discriminating arguments against us.

I would like to thank Ms Carrie for standing up and speaking out and for the support for equality. It’s good to see the decent, fair minded and brilliant who speak for a better society.

14. That’s what I call a sound and fair argument! Ms Carrie has 30 solid years working with kids, she’s got her hands in the clay – she knows what she’s saying!

15. Fantastic woman! :)

16. It is generally recognised now that children thrive in loving, respectful and stable environments, whoever provides them. But with so much bigoted noise around, it has to be said over and over again. Thank you, madam – you are a wise woman indeed.

17. Daily Mail, CofE, AnglicanMainstream, Carholic Church.

Please stop lying to the British public. You have the voice of an expert, you have the evidence. Any more intentional deception would be a lie. The least we can expect from you is the truth.

18. I’m so glad she’s spoken out like this. How will the churches & other bigots be able to use their argument in the face of her evidence which comes from direct experience in the field unlike their evidence which appears to be made up half the time.

19. steffi lee 18 Jun 2012, 6:52pm

A perfect statement from someone perfectly placed to know what they are talking about.
    Thank you Ms. Carrie.

20. Well hello Anne Marie Carrie. Thank you very much for what you have said. It cocks a snoot at the anti-Christ Roman Catholic Church, the Anglican Mainstream and others of that ilk and states quite plainly, the truth.

21. Excellent woman! It incenses me too when people a couple is automatically thought ideal simply by virtue of having opposite-sex partners.

(It incenses me when coupledom is automatically thought an ideal state too, but that’s another story.:-) )

22. I haven’t heard of a single case of children being in danger or losing their lives where they have two fathers or two mothers … they sadly have been several that involved straight parents!!!!!