English Defence League plans march in Bristol on same day as LGBT pride

1. O thats nice, “we only hate muslims” … there should be no hate at all.

1. Jock S. Trap 15 Jun 2012, 9:50am

Actually while I don’t defend them they claim to only hate Muslim extremists not the ordinary Muslim. However the EDL do come with a bunch of extremist hang ons so It defeat their own message when too many from the BNP and NF join them.

It would be unwise for this march to go ahead and if the EDL organisers were truly non homophobic they would change the date of their march and let the Pride event pass off peacefully and not with some fearing problems and many staying away.

2. Yeah, the kind of neo-n4zi freak that supports the EDL is just a cuddle bear when it comes to gays…

3. If I recall correctly, was it not correct that 12 EDL members were recently arrested in Rochdale for racial and homophobic chanting?

So, much for the soft fluffy gay friendly EDL!

Their claims to have LGBT members sounds very much like the old chestnut – “I have a gay friend”

Bristol is likely to be a dangerous place to be on the day of Pride. Part of me would urge people to stay away – but I think most of me would not want to give in to the vile and offensive hatred and extremism of the EDL and encourage hundreds of LGBT people to attend and oppose the EDL.

4. Terry Stewart 14 Jun 2012, 11:24pm

Gary, unfortunately it is not an old chestnut. They do have an LGBT group which is active in the community.

Remember their attempt to hold a Gay Pride march in East london last year and we stopped them.

We already had our own Pride march planned which included the whole community, with a message of No to Hate.

The likes of Julie Bindel and friends wanted them to have the right to march and the LGBT community stopped them.

1. What about the issues in Hebden Bridge the following day when numerous EDL members were making homophobic comments and arrests were made in relation to this and drugs offences?

1. And what about the muslims who are calling for your death?

Lets ignore THAT shall we?

2. If only Islamists really believe in your fantasy of “no hate.”

Which they don’t.

Time to live in the reality here. If I were a brit (thank god I am not) I would drag all of you to the EDL march to defend your freedom from Islamofascism.

But nooooooo. We don’t mind that muslims want to cut off our heads! Frankly I wouldn’t be surprised if some of you just went with it and walked up to the gallows and urged other gays to do so under the guise of ‘multi-culturalism’… just like how the Jews told themselves that Hitler was not going to do anything to them…. and we all know what happened.

1. I have to admit, you fascinate me.

On what planet does an openly gay man gravitate to a rabble of hypermasculine, racist, criminally antisocial louts? The very sorts of pig ignorant vermin who make society a more violent, unsafe place for gay people to live in.

Assuming you are actually for real and are not simply here to peddle EDL propaganda, I have one question for you. Are you aware you’re being used?

2. Pepa – if you think we gay Brits are so backward when it comes to our own equality, why do you keep posting your inane comments on a British news site? Or don’t you have a site of this quality where you live? Britain doesn’t seem all that backward after all!

3. Jock S. Trap 15 Jun 2012, 10:22am

Perhaps Pepa the difference is unlike You Americans we Brits aren’t paranoid about everything and everyone. We do accept that not all are the same and usually only a minorty make it difficult for everyone else who just wish to live a peaceful life.

4. Rachel Haytread 15 Jun 2012, 5:13pm

Pepa, You Rock.!

5. Have you forgotten what country you live in?

3. Jock S. Trap 15 Jun 2012, 9:56am

Oooh Terry way to change History about event last year.

They didn’t try to have a Gay Pride, People were angry at the homophobic posters that went up and you stop people protesting because of it. When ONE of the organisers turned out to be ex EDL you jumped on the band wagon and stopped people having the March. Still the brave still continued but not without you making trouble saying complete crap.

YOU should have been defending the local LGBT community and you failed to do so, You stop others doing so.

YOU might like thing people forget in one year but we don’t!

You sir were an absolute disgrace and I still fear for the Local LGBT community you claim to represent.

But please don’t make a fool of yourself by changing events to suit your ego.

1. Rachel Haytread 15 Jun 2012, 5:18pm

How very true. Well done for pointing this out.

5. Not a big fan of Muslims – certainly no fan of homophobes or any form of bigotry.

Having witnessed EDL homophobia and violence in the past (including arresting a couple of them when I was in the police) – I would be very concerned about being in Bristol on the day they plan to protest. EDL are one of the most hateful, racist and homophobic organisations that I have had the misfortune to have direct contact with on more than one occasion

6. This could be a decoy. Very very weird for them to announce their march a month in advance. It’s possible they will want everyone in UAF in the pride parade where the EDL would hope to wreak havok elsewhere.

Unlucky for them antifascists are not stupid. Expect UAF to be watching them closely.

1. Jock S. Trap 15 Jun 2012, 10:24am

Sorry but the UAF are just as bad as the EDL!

2. Rachel Haytread 15 Jun 2012, 5:26pm

UAF = United Against Freedom. UAF = an extreme and extremist Marxist organisation, famous for its’ violent opposition to Jews, LGBT, womens’ equality and freedom of speech. An ultra-violent and undemocratic bunch of thugs. They are the real fascists.

1. chris lowercase 16 Jun 2012, 1:21am

hiya rachel i remember you posting pro EDL rubbish on another thread! did you have a good drink?

the F in UAF actually stands for ‘fascist’. what kind of cause would name openly oppose freedom? this is a typical EDL trick to assume everybody is as numb as they are. LGBT actually stand alongside muslims, jewish people… thats sorta what the ‘unite’ bit means.

you just made that up. yeah, LGBT actually stands for ‘lots of gays buying things’ google it if you dont believe me. nah EDL may be stupid enough to believe what they are told but the rest of us sort of work it out hah.

and im not UAF. i know its coming in the reply (rather than an actual response to any of the points i raised) i know who the UAF are, and i know who the EDL are, and the BBC, the CIA, and and and.

7. I am not a great fan of Islam either, but I don’t believe in preaching hatred against any group, be it a religious, political or any kind of ideological group. Hate for another hate group does nothing for your own cause. Hate only generates more hate, and hate is something the world needs less these days.

8. When I read statements, comments and indignation from the EDL about homophobia, I am more than a little sceptical having been hospitalised in a gay bashing in 1997 by 2 lads who now are members of the EDL. They are people who used to bash gay people all the time. I have also checked out the LGBT Division page pf the EDL and found it to be as gay friendly as George Carey on a bad day.

So it comes as no surprise to me to read about Tommy Robinson’s meeting with an organisation that is homophobic in the extreme. So much for Tommy’s anger at Muslim homophobia. So much for the EDL’s stoic support for gay rights. And whilst Tommy is pandering to Christian homophobes whilst hypocritically condemning Muslim ones. I have to wonder why there has been no comment from him and his little group of hooligan thugs on recent LGBT issues, if they care so much about gay rights.

9. This is the same EDL whose leaders invited a pastor from the US who has supported WBC in its protests to preach at one of its events – a more vile and grotesque homophobe you could not meet – and the EDL support him.

10. As Gary mentions in his posting about Hebden Bridge, some care needs to be taken about the EDL as they have started carrying out attacks by splinter groups at the same time as a big demo. Given that this tactic has been mentioned on the Searchlight site I am sure the Avon and Somerset Police have known for some time and have factored the risk of it into their plans for the day.

For anyone thinking of avoiding Pride, I could mention that the recent Blackpool Pride was attended by thousands. The BNP held a heavily-promoted “national” demonstration in Blackpool on the same day and it attracted 30 people – most of whom were from the “Infidels” which is one of the groups that makes up the EDL. There were have been no reports of Pride visitors being attacked or abused by the neo-N@zis.

Basically the EDL are bullies and like any bully they thrive on fear and will creep away if this advantage is lost.

11. Cardinal Capone 15 Jun 2012, 12:45am

To understand our resident troll and how to deal with it, please read:

12. Kornelijus Norvidas 15 Jun 2012, 12:47am

Nationalistic, but not against gays. Like Catholics, but against Pope. Its possible.

13. We have a problem here, too.
    I live in Tampere, Finland, and the Finnish Defence League (FDL) has announced that they are going to take part in the Tampere Pride Parade this summer. They claim, just like the EDL, that they are not homophobic and that they have nothing against gays. Anyway, on their websites they have proposed concentration camps for gays including gassing of gays.
    The FDL co-operates actively with the EDF and has participated in the demonstrations of the EDF in England.

I do not know how to put this in English, because my native language is Finnish, but I can say that we gays are very concerned and angry. We do not want any hate groups in our parades or other festivals or activities, which all are hate-free zones. At the moment I cannot tell you, how the police are going to react or if we, the local LGBT organisation and the police together can prevent the FDL from attending the Pride Parade.

1. Sorry, I wrote EDF. Should be EDL.

1. EDF has more power than EDL!

1. Good one, Gary!

2. Finish the defence league sounds much better.

14. Shake Spear 15 Jun 2012, 1:07am

I’m one of the silent MAJORITY (irrespective of red thumbs on this one little site) who prefers the EDL to Islam and Sharia Law. It’s a free country and they – like us – have a perfect right to march.

1. Hodge Podge 15 Jun 2012, 2:43am

Your mistake here is thinking we have to choose between sharia law and supporting thugs. I dislike both.

2. I should hazard a guess that the majority would wish a plague on both their houses.

15. Such salubrious company and leaders the EDL LGBT group have

Seems they anticipated getting violent in Canal Street so cancelled an event to avoid being arrested. Their aggravation – local traders opposing an EDL march outside their premises! Oh an the leader is apparently barred from all Blackpool gay bars for dealing!

16. For those supporting EDL there are better ways at combatting Islamic extremism than supporting an organisation who:

Has been involved om sending death threats to journalists that have covered EDL marches

Is the subject of investigation by four specialist national police units involved in policing hooliganism, extreme violence, and terrorism

Have supporters who have supporters burnt an anti-Nzzi flag and made Nzzi salutes

Have intimidated and threatened MPs outside the MPs addresses when their children are frightened inside

Members have participated in spray-painting and attacking mosques

EDL members have posed wearing paramilitary outfits, with guns and crossbows

Has links being investigated by Interpol in relation to international terrorism

1. Shake Spear 15 Jun 2012, 2:43am

What is spray-painting mosques, Stu, compared to burning down churches? When I look around the world, the EDL is the least of my problems.

1. But have UK Muslim been burning down churches?

1. Jock S. Trap 15 Jun 2012, 10:26am

Don’t know that but I do know that several priests have been severely attacked by a small group of narrow minded Muslims.

Again though a minority. It’s all the press talk about… no the good some do only the bad.

2. Most forms of criminal damage are irresponsible.

I can’t recall the last time I saw anti-Christian graffitti on a church that was by Muslims.

I can recall the last time I saw EDL or Neo N4zi spray painted on a mosque.

If this is the level of EDL’s “political” campaigning then it shows them as a weak and ignorant body intent on criminality and bullying.

However, its much worse that spray painting mosques – there are the terrorist links being investigating, the death threats against journalists, the paramilitary issues etc etc

1. Paddyswurds 15 Jun 2012, 11:35am

@Stu…
          …unrelated question but which has been bugging me for days.
          Have you any idea why the Dutch Insurance story has been stuck on the home page for ten days now….?? Stories which generated much more interest have been consigned to the dustbin within hours while this article endures? Mystified in Seven Oaks….lol

1. Absolutely no idea, hadn’t noticed

Went to check the home page and its not on mine currently.

2. Paddyswurds 15 Jun 2012, 3:23pm

As of 15.20 it is still there second from the bottom above the Glasgow Kirk story. It is unlikely you get a different home page from the rest of us surely?

3. Paddyswurds

It wasnt there last time I checked, but it is this time!

Now, I can offer no reasonable explanation either as to why it is still there or why it wasnt on the home page when I looked earlier.

Odd!

4. Rachel Haytread 15 Jun 2012, 9:27pm

Muslims do not involve themselves in ‘criminality and bullying’ do they Stu sweetheart? No they certainly do not!

They don’t join paramilitary or terrorist organisations and pose with weapons held aloft do they? They don’t murder Jewish journalists either. Daniel Pearl – who he?

And if anyone repeats that wicked lie that Allah was a paedophile or that Muslims groom, drug and rape White female children I shall be very, very cross.

5. I’m sure some do, Rachel – does not justify the EDL engaging in criminality including assaults on non Muslims or Muslims or homophobia by EDL members or links to groups engaging in or planning terrorism

6. Jock S. Trap 16 Jun 2012, 10:31am

I have to say Rachel that yes the grooming, drugged and rape of White female children was absolutely appalling but have to question if the police’s delayed reluctance to act knowing what was going on was any better than those committing the crimes?!

17. GingerlyColors 15 Jun 2012, 6:59am

The reason for the EDL’s existance is that mainstream polititians continue to ignore the majority of people when it comes to legitimate concerns about immigration, Islamic extremism and Europe. At the same time not everybody wishes to embrace the British National Party who are just as anti-semitic and homophobic as the Mullahs who are free to preach their hatred on British soil. The EDL was set up as a more palatable alternative to the BNP and with the best intentions as well. Although they have gay, Jewish and Sikh sections, the EDL unfortunately does attract the unsavoury ‘rent-a-mob’ crowd. In fact the very name: English Defence League is somewhat standoffish. Maybe it is time to resurrect the currently inactive United British Alliance which championed British values and racial integration while demanding the deportation of terror suspects.

1. Rachel Haytread 15 Jun 2012, 5:42pm

How dare you make such sane and reasonable comments on this site! It is not allowed. Only rabid left-wing apologists for Islam and ex-Filth scum are allowed to post here.

18. Aren’t they just ‘piggy backing’ on to the Gay Pride event?

19. My gut feeling is that LGBT should massively outnumber these idiots to prove a point. However, no children should be present at pride just in case.

20. Spanner1960 15 Jun 2012, 9:42am

Typical. Never a decent march when you want one, and then two good ones come along on the same day.

What is a nationalist gay gay to do? ;)

1. Kill yourself?

2. Rachel Haytread 15 Jun 2012, 5:45pm

Well said Spanner1960. James…SHAME ON YOU.

21. Jock S. Trap 15 Jun 2012, 9:46am

Would it not be better for the EDL to march on another if they feel the need and not disrupt the Pride event which has already cost money to put on.

Wouldn’t have thought it would have been too difficult… Mind you will the religious haters of all varieties also be out on the same day…. it’s very likely!

1. The EDL are from fascist tradition they want to cultivate anti gay ideals. It makes perfect scene.

22. I have very mixed feelings about the EDL. On the one hand they present as violent thugs just out for a fight. However, their website (and I’ve seen interviews) declares without doubt their support for the LGBT community. Their manifesto statement read as being – dare I say it- reasonable. I am not a fan of Muslims, and those that preach sharia law and the death of gays are far more offensive to me than a gang of football hooligans. I cannot support or excuse any of the EDL’s behaviour and I am against hate and violence in all forms. I don’t really know their record on homophobic attacks, but their leader has ‘said’ he does not tolerate homophobia and racism. In fact, every interview he brings these up without prompting and I’ve heard lines like ‘British gay people are part of our community and the Muslims have no right to protest against them’. They are at least paying lip service to the gay cause, something the BNP would never do. Friend, foe, arseholes? Maybe all three?

1. Jock S. Trap 15 Jun 2012, 10:30am

The EDL probably started with good intentions but unfortunately many from the NF and BNP jumped on the bandwagon and now results in bad press.

Having thugs in there ‘band’ is not good and maybe if the EDL publically weeded these thugs out like the Occupy group are doing, maybe people would listen to there cause.

2. Oh yes, Robert

The EDL try to present themselves as LGBT friendly – but actions speak much louder than words.

I judge them by my serious assault at the hands of homophobic EDL members.

I judge them by the number of people arrested at the Rochdale and Hebdon Bridge events linked to homophobia

I judge them by the homophobic clerics (at least one of which endorsed the death penalty for being gay) they have invited to come to the UK to participate in their marches

I judge them by their death threats, links to overseas groups involved in terrorism and their other less palatable activity

Yes they can paint a pretty picture pretending to be LGBT friendly (but their LGBT leader is a convicted drug dealer!).

They persuade me that they support LGBT people as much as the Church of England convinced me they support gay people in their submission to the consultation on equal marriage – and the church claimed they do.

The EDL are violent, homophobic, subvertive scum.

1. Rachel Haytread 15 Jun 2012, 5:51pm

I’m surprised you can pry yourself away from your United Against Freedom activities to share with us. Go crawl back under your stone you violent Marxist agitator.

1. UAF are scum too, Rachel

I would have no truck with them or the EDL

As for violent. No, I was walking away from a gay bar in Manchester when I was jumped by two violent yobs (both members of the EDL). I was in hospital for 4 weeks with multiple fractures and required plastic surgery for some of the wounds (required 82 stitches). I lost 2.5 pints of blood. I was in a coma for 3 days.

CCTV captured the entire incident – it was entirely unprovoked and I stood no chance against these violent yobs who maliciously beat me without remorse until they were disturbed. The used a great deal of homophobic abuse during the attack and admitted in police interview that they were EDL members and had just been to an EDL meeting before attacking me.

Now, if you want to call me violent and a sympathiser of some other group – feel free, but you are wrong and being malicious – assuming I am something which I am not. It seems you are quick to defend people (who possibly would have murdered me if

1. they had not been disturbed; yet are happy to throw malicious, false and hurtful rhetoric at me – a person you have never met and do not know. It speaks volumes about your standards – that you support people in an organisation that act in the way I have experienced – people who very nearly killed me.

Now, I won’t apologise for calling the EDL violent scum – that is my experience. I know I am not the only one.

2. Sorry to hear of your experience, Steve

Its precisely because of your experience and others I have heard like it that I believe the EDL to be vicious thugs and nothing more.

Its interesting that those who seek to support them are silent on your comments (but continue making other comments on this thread) – Shame on Rachel and the other supporters.

Your assault is precisely why the EDL must be condemned and neutered.

23. I’m not a fan of the EDL. I find them hateful and stupid (even though I do agree that islam – as well as christianity, judaism, scientology, hinduism etc – is moronic.

However.

So long as they do not promote hatred and violence and discrimination against muslims or lgbt people, then they are as entitled to hold a parade as we are.

The police will need to hire some overtime officers to ensure that the EDL are not promoting violence, and to ensure the safety of ALL parade participants (LGBT and otherwise) on that day.

1. Unfortunately violence is part of the raison d’etre of the EDL

1. No doubt.

But it’s the job of the police to ensure that this does not happen.

If they intend to hold a peaceful parade then that is their right and if they fail to do so then the police must hold them accountable.

1. However, I do agree with Steve that given that violence is part of the fabric of EDL then the police must act to prevent this (and this may include seeking a court or Home Secretary order to ban the march or event – or the highest ranking police officer present placing restrictions on the march in the interests of public safety). Of course, if there is no intelligence to suggest plans for violence (which would be remarkable given its the EDL! then the event should be allowed to take place under careful scrutiny in case violence emerges).

However, a responsible organisation would recognise the fear they are spreading and seek an alternate date, location or method to spread their message.

Indeed, responsible individuals who wish to pursue the (non violent aspect of) agenda of the EDL would probably do better to disassociate themselves from an organisation perceived (often rightly) to be involved in violence, homophobia and criminality. Even if this means establishing a new group.

1. Rachel Haytread 15 Jun 2012, 5:54pm

Blah Blah Blah.

2. I take it from your infantile comment that you support EDL violence, Rachel?

1. Rachel Haytread 16 Jun 2012, 11:40am

I do not support EDL violence. It detracts from the admirable aims of the organisation and the evil it is valiantly exposing, that is, extreme Islam.

Meanwhile, as you focus on alleged EDL violence, you blithely disregard extreme and mainstream Islam which does advocate violence against me, against you and all LGBT people, and Jews and Hindus and Sikhs and Buddists and Christians and anyone else who is not Muslim.

It is unfortunate that you consider my comment infantile but you really do go on and on and on sometimes. You often advocate censorship of those who post offensive comments here, would you kindly consider censoring yourself occasionally? You give Chatty Cathys a bad name.

Finally, to quote the Beloved Morrissey,

‘There’s a country; you don’t live there
            but one day you would like to
            and if you show them what you’re made of
            Oh, then you might do’

Make of that what you will.

Love,as always, Rachel x

2. Is that the best you can come up with Rachel.

I note you make no comment to Steve – who you attacked for his views on EDL despite his experience.

Effectively you pre judged him wrongly.

Yet when he explains why your views are wrong, you do not even have the courtesy or good grace to apologise or comment. A decent British person would have the manners and grace to do so.

3. Rachel Haytread 16 Jun 2012, 5:23pm

My response to Steve in which sympathised with him and I detailed four years of harassment from Muslims, numerous violent attacks from Muslims resulting in several periods of hospitalisation and being forced from my home of 32 years on the advice of the Police after receiving death threats from Islamic extremists for opposing their homophobia, mysteriously disappeared after it had been posted.

You claim to have been in the Police Force (and I am of an age where the term ‘Police Service’ is a despicable perversion of the English language) yet your opposition to the EDL is not shared by the majority of your ex-colleagues who admire and tacitly support the freedom fighters of the EDL.

You still espouse your contempt for the EDL yet remain surprisingly muted when it comes to acknowledging let alone condemning the hatred and violence doled out ad nauseum to non-Muslims by extremist and non-extremist Muslims.

I have good cause to be partisan. What’s behind your stance? Love Rachel x

4. Rachel

Shame you did not try to repost some message to Steve – as it appeared that you were disinterested in his experience at the hands of EDL thugs – and this could be viewed as endorsement of violence.

Not sure why you feel the need to raise surmantics of the naming of the police organisation in England & Wales. Hey ho.

I stand against violence from any quarter – and in my time in the police service arrested some Muslims from racially aggravated assault against white people. I was questioned about this by colleagues who thought white people could not be victims of racially aggravated crimes – of course they can!

I condemn fundamentalism of any sort – particularly when it involves violence, threat of violences or intimidation.

Some Muslim organisations engage in those practices. I condemn them without reservation.

The EDL engage in those practices – I have experienced it myself – I condemn them without reservation.

Most police officers I worked with encountered violence by

5. the EDL and would oppose them as individuals and an organisation. Most people we encountered at EDL marches – we had met professionally previously at other protests, in the cells etc.

Sure, some police officers are right wing or patriotic (and the two are not necessarily mutually inclusive) – but very few believe the EDL is the appropriate route to exercise those views, in my experience.

I am patriotic. Part of my patriotism is about ensuring that LGBT people are not assaulted by right wing extremists who are anti gay militants.

6. Rachel Haytread 17 Jun 2012, 11:22am

I consider the issue of patriotism to be irrelevant. The crux of the matter is that a huge problem arose whereby an alien belief system began to impose its’ fundamentalist and barbaric ideas and practices on the rest of the population. This caused a reaction; ordinary people objected to this threat to their way of life. These previously non-political individuals decided to oppose the threat to democracy and their right to live their lives free from the tyranny of Islam. The result? The EDL.

Islamic extremists are responsible for the existence of the EDL. Muslims began the violence and terror, it is unfortunate that some individuals associated with the EDL responded in the same way. This, in turn, was responsible for the rise of the ultra-violent terrorist organisation the UAF. At demonstrations against Islamic fundamentalism EDL supporters have been subjected to extreme violence from this openly homophobic and anti-Semitic group of Marxists and malcontents. And on it goes.

7. I oppose Islamic extremists.

I oppose the EDL.

I do not have to support the EDL to condemn Islamic extremists – nor is my finding the EDL abhorrent and evil an indication that I support any form of Islamist.

The violence and homophobia repeatedly perpetrated by both the EDL and Muslim extremists is categorically wrong and entirely evil.

Its a bizarre dichotomy that the EDL who claim to oppose Muslim extremists 9In part due to their violence and homophobia) are themselves often violent and homophobic.

Its an interesting juxtaposition that those supporting the EDL often condemn those who do not, by claiming that they must, by inference, then support Muslim extremists. When in fact, condemning the EDL is condemning homophobia and violence – and most people who do so will also condemn the violence and extremism of Muslim extremists.

Rachels claims that she empathised with Steve – only came up when she was challenged about it, odd that!

8. Rachel Haytread 17 Jun 2012, 10:03pm

Elaine, I responded with sympathy to Steve’s account of the indefensible attack on him. I commiserated by sharing my horror story of four years of violence, intimidation and harassment from both extremist and non-extremist Muslims.

I posted my message. I was not aware that it had been removed until Stu made accusations that I had made no response of any kind. I searched for it. It had been removed along with my avatar. Am I responsible for its removal?.

Whilst often inaccurate and hysterical comments are made about violence and homophobia from EDL hangers-on, YOU IGNORE THE VIOLENCE AND HOMOPHOBIA OF THE OVERWHELMING MAJORITY OF MUSLIMS. You voice your outrage against the EDL who consistently and prominently show their support for the LGBT community. You are silent about Muslims who call for us to be executed. You appear to have very selective memories to such an extent that your hysterical, monomaniacal outbursts call into question your motives and political allegiance.

9. My experience of the EDL is of a robustly homophobic and violent organisation who associates with preachers who are extreme homophobes – including at least one who urges the death of all LGBT people.

I condemn all Muslim homophobic action and words and all violence by Muslims – equally I condemn all homophobia and violence by the EDL.

Sadly you seem blind to the violence and extremism by the EDL that targets LGBT people.

24. Paddyswurds 15 Jun 2012, 11:43am

Anyone who believes that the vile homophobic fascists the EDL are in any way gay friendly is truly deluded. The only reason they are putting on this disgraceful display in Bristol is intimidation and a nefarious attempt to intimidate Gay people from attending Pride in fear of trouble. Why has the British Government not proscribed this fascist group before it becomes too late. A certain Teutonic country in central Europe neglected to stamp out a similar group in the 1930s and we know how that turned out! Allowing this outfit to grow will have dire consequences for the UK and wider Europe in the future if something is not done about the EDL and the BNP soon.

1. Rachel Haytread 15 Jun 2012, 5:57pm

Oh dear, did you become bored reading Das Kapital?

1. Paddyswurds 15 Jun 2012, 8:01pm

@….whoever you are…
        …..what the phuck has capitalism or Marxism to do with controlling fascism, you fascist moron?

25. if i was living in bristol regardless of religion and sexual orientation i would be writing to every MP and to the counil directly to stop the EDL visiting and holding a hate rally in my town, especially on a date that coinsides with a peacful march to celebrate divercity.
    What are the counil thinking letting this happen at the same time??

26. Opposing homophobia whilst supporting Islamophobia is not only an intractable contradiction but just plain stupid.

1. What else do we expect from thugs like (so called leaders) Tommy Robinson, Steven Lennon, Kevin Carroll and the LGBT EDL leader Liam Wood?

They hardly think before they act, do they?

27. I can’t stand islam. But the EDL marching on the same day as gay pride is disgusting. They are trying to latch on to us, the same way in which muslims latch on to left wing anti-war protestors.

28. FranklyBewildered 15 Jun 2012, 7:26pm

Why are the police allowing the second parade to take place? If Bristol Rovers and Bristol United wanted to play home football games on the same day they would never allow it. Apply the same rules. Don’t allow the EDL march on the simple grounds of not enough resources to police both events on the same day. The Pride event was organised long before. It takes precedence.

29. chris lowercase 16 Jun 2012, 1:26am

@rachel EDL troll. i know you will be reading this. when the new comments start to die down… thats when the EDL jump in. the fact that you get in there early and let your veiws be challenged makes you a rubbish fascist.

EDL will believe anything they are told as long as hate is involved. how better to get working class people to buy into right wing idealogy? you are being brainwashed. yeah blame immigration for the poverty and unnemployment rather than the government that is responsible for it. if like me you are working class look at any right wing government and look at how they are handle things like unnemployment, education health, you know the things that actually matter. still think the left is that nasty? communism is a little too far for me, but im glad there are unions to protect workers rights, im unhappy that a right wing government is currently ripping the NHS to bits. thats left wing.

1. chris lowercase 16 Jun 2012, 1:27am

HMMMM WHERE HAVE I HEARD THAT BEFORE? could it be 1930s berlin?