Video: Southern Baptist pastor defends Obama’s equal marriage endorsement

1. Blown away! Well done, Pastor Frederick!

2. God,I wish more clerics and religious leaders would have such insight and enlightenment as this pastor.

3. Cardinal Capone 11 Jun 2012, 12:02pm

He gets my vote for Pope.

4. Huh :) Support comes from the most unlikely places, sometimes!

1. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Jun 2012, 1:03pm

Yes indeed! Exactly what Lynne Featherstone said recently. It will be interesting to see who those people are in the most unlikely places, aside from several Anglican bishops who’ve declared support.

5. A Southern Baptist said this? I’m…somewhat shocked.

6. Jesus Christ. It moves! Amen.

7. I thought pastors like that were only the make-up of Hollywood!

Never the less, I did feel quite emotional watching this. I agree with Court, support from the most unlikeliest of places, and most welcome support indeed.

I would liked to have seen people comment at the end, it did sound like there were more cheers in support as opposed the jeering!

8. WOW!

From a Southern Baptist? Double WOW!

Good man. May his god bless him!

1. Actually, he’s not Southern Baptist. He’s a National Baptist pastor of a church located in the South. PinkNews misstated his denomination. But this is still HUGE! :)

I explain a bit more in a comment below.

1. Thanks for that Hayden – I have a friend who’s from a Southern Baptist family (and still has the scars to prove it) so it did seem unlikely. But, as you say, this still has the Wow Factor!

2. Staircase2 12 Jun 2012, 1:26am

I read that as (a) Southern Baptist – as in ‘a Baptist IN the South’ – its a headline so ‘Southern Baptist’ means that (as would ‘Southern Buddhist’ mean: ‘a Buddhist who is in (or from) the South’ – not ‘a member of the Southern Buddhists’…)

9. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Jun 2012, 1:01pm

Superb, and thank you, Pastor Haynes.

” You do understand, my brothers and sisters, that the sad reality is we love to judge other folks’ sins because it keeps it off of us.”

That goes right to the heart of the bigotry we’re seeing in the UK among so called “christians” and others who oppose equal marriage.

He should join the Anglicans and become the next successor to Rowan Williams. Now that would really shake things up and I can imagine the uproar of the African branch of the state cult.

10. Firstly, I want to commend the pastor for his very courageous and spot on sermon.

Secondly, I want to point out that Pastor Frederick is not a “Southern Baptist Pastor”. He is a Baptist Pastor in the South but his church is National Baptist which is an entirely different denomination. “Southern Baptist” is a specific denomination formed when churches in the American South who supported slavery broke away from the American Baptist denomination in the 1800’s. Unfortunately it is the largest Protestant denomination in the US. More unfortunate still, my father is a retired Southern Baptist pastor. The National Baptist on the other hand, is probably as anti-gay as the Southern Baptist but is a denomination made up almost entirely of traditionally African-American Baptist churches. The good news is, we are hearing more black pastors stand up for marriage equality and we’re seeing a huge shift in black support of marriage equality since the President “evolved”. We welcome the support!

1. I think it’s great that he’s speaking out like this!

The fact that President Obama is black has obviously influenced other black people, who have as a group generally opposed gay rights in the past. So if groups who have normally opposed gay rights are now starting to support them, then I really think this is a turning point for gay equality.

Now all we need is a few Catholic priests to preach their support from the pulpits……..!

1. ”Now all we need is a few Catholic priests to preach their support from the pulpits”

The pope??

2. Staircase2 12 Jun 2012, 1:29am

(now I know in this case its confusing because there is a denomination called ‘Southern Baptist’ but that doesn’t mean this was a ‘mistelling of the facts’ – simply that English works that way sometimes (so as to have more than one meaning…)

1. Paddyswurds 12 Jun 2012, 5:29pm

Aye, you said already…..We know what it means without coaching from you. Most of us do know how to look things up on the Interweb if we need further clarification, which we don’t in this case as it is totally irrelevant.

11. I tried to post a correction to a misstatement in this article but it never showed up.

I just wanted to point out that Pastor Haynes is not a “Southern Baptist Pastor”. He is a Southern, Baptist Pastor. He is National Baptist, which is an entirely different denomination from the Southern Baptist denomination, which broke away from the American Baptists in the 1800’s over a disagreement on slavery and abolition.

That doesn’t change the HUGE significance of this story since the National Baptist, a traditionally African-American denomination have been every bit as anti-gay as the Southern Baptist.

The only reason I point this out is, as a former Southern Baptist myself and the son of a Southern Baptist pastor, I don’t want to give the Southern Baptist Church credit for this AWESOME and COURAGEOUS man!

1. Sorry, I see my original comment finally posted. Even so I wanted to explain why the correction matters.

12. Fantastic preaching, Pastor!

A man who clearly understand what equality is about!

Some of his sermon should be released on Out4Marriage.

13. Paddyswurds 11 Jun 2012, 2:29pm

I never thought the day would come when I would say I thoroughly enjoyed listening to a preacher of the Abrahamic cults preach a sermon. …and a Baptist to boot. I say make him pope right away, just shoot the Naz1 and install this guy immediately! Good for you Pastor Haynes……

1. Paddyswurds 11 Jun 2012, 2:32pm

I didn’t think I would ever miss the Trolls but I would just love to see them implode over this…….perhaps there is something to this sky goblin thing after all and he is on our side? ;L

2. Paddyswurds

I have to say I never thought I would see the day you would agree with a Pastor (especially one from the deep south!).

Whilst overall I am glad the trolls are largely confined to history (at least for the moment) – would have been amusing watching them squirm over this.

Pastor Haynes – probably wouldnt be Pope – but next Archbishop of Canterbury – better option than Sentamu!

1. Paddyswurds 11 Jun 2012, 3:55pm

@Stu…
        …How could one not agree with what the dude had to say….isn’t it the same message we have all been banging on about for years. Re: the deep south, i don’t have any issues with the downtrodden Black people below the Mason Dixie, just the ignorant, racist homophobic religious rednecks who are for the most part, direct cousins of the Ulster Scots inbreds we are infected with here in the north of Ireland……

1. I didnt mean anything more than I was surprised it was a pastor that you could agree with – clearly I agree with him too and think his comments are marvellous.

1. Paddyswurds 12 Jun 2012, 5:31pm

Easy there dude ..I wasn’t implying that you meant anything more.. Y’all are way too sensitive.

2. Paddy, I asked on another thread about marriage equality in NI. Now that it’s likely to be a reality in England, Wales & Scotland, is it even on the cards there?

1. Paddyswurds 12 Jun 2012, 7:56am

BennieM
            Sinn Fein have pledged they will work toward it but being that they are in coalition with the DUP, a party founded by the arch bigot preacher Ian Paisley, who once started Save Ulster from Sodomy when it was proposed to make homosexuality legal.
            it will be a bit of an uphill battle.
            The DUP also have the idiot Poots, who won’t allow gay men to donate blood under any circumstances and who believes the Earth is only 6000 years old….http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ni/2007/12/are_religious_politicians_nutt.html. The DUP is the party of the vile homophobic harridan Iris Robinson, and bigoted buybul thumpers like Peter Robinson, Jeffery Donaldson, William McCrea, Ian Paisley Jnr, Gregory Campbell et al so you can see it will be a major miracle if we get it this side of the year 3000…. .. . We only got CPs because it was a UK wide thing.

3. Staircase2 12 Jun 2012, 1:33am

‘Rednecks’ ‘inbreds’ ‘infected’…?

Haven’t you learnt ANYTHING at all….?

LISTEN to your own message and digest it for a bit FFS eh?

This kind of ignorant, racist, divisive bollocks IS the problem…(come to think of it: Listen to the PASTOR’S speech too….)

1. Paddyswurds 12 Jun 2012, 8:13am

You have absolutely no idea what you are mumbling about and it would seem that you are firmly under that same heading of ignorant inbred redneck.
            For a start what is racist about my comment. I suspect that it is you who is the racist and you don’t like my comment about the racist whites of the south in the US…..
            Do you even know what a redneck is or why most of the sentient world refers to these people as inbred. Have you ever been to either the north of Ireland or anywhere south of the MasonDixie.. Your idiotic comment is typical of what we have come to expect from you.

2. Paddyswurds 12 Jun 2012, 5:35pm

I’m certainly not going to take any lessons from the Internets premier racist Troll. Go swivel, as someone else told you on another thread or two.

3. Paddyswurds 12 Jun 2012, 5:36pm

Comment for staircase

14. Jock S. Trap 11 Jun 2012, 3:43pm

Another decent member of society with infleuence speak sense, proving not all in the Church are to be dismissed as the cranks they are.

Well done to Pastor Frederick!

Here’s hope more follow suit!

15. Seems like a sensible man. Good luck to him

16. thank you jesus!

17. So much hate shown by Mankind, a willful desire to make a change in each other with the use of force…
    On this world we are numbered in billions.
    On this world other varieties of life are even greater.
    Yet on this world mankind is master of intolerance, change through a warring nature.
    On this world truth is lost many times, leaving a lie or myth in it’s place…
    On this world ignorance insures mankind stays in it’s place.

Just my thoughts people, of what I think I see.

18. This church needs it’s 503c status revoked.

1. Paddyswurds 11 Jun 2012, 8:07pm

@Carl…
      ……..On what grounds exactly? Every word he spoke is the truth, even the bits from the fictional “holy” book.

1. Be careful what you wish for Paddy, the trolls are back! I thought they’d try the false prophet argument! These christian extremists will argue night was day to avoid facing the truth and admitting they’re just bigots!

19. May I shake your hand Pastor Frederick Haynes? You are a welcome breath of fresh air!!!

Thank you!

20. Staircase2 12 Jun 2012, 1:19am

Hallelujah Jesus!
    Bless ya!

21. Well done and thank you Pastor Frederick. May you lead the way of church reform and turn the ant-Christ churches away from their evil, hate preaching.

22. GingerlyColors 12 Jun 2012, 7:18am

Not all Baptists are b@@tards. Those Southern ones could knock spots off the Westboro lot!