Liam Fox MP undecided on ‘elite’ issue of marriage for gay couples

1. Of course it’s the bloody metropolitan elite! Do they really think anybody political would even give two minutes of time to anyone who wasn’t metropolitan elite?

2. He’s probably afraid that if he votes for marriage equality people will think he’s gay.

1. Most people already think he’s gay anyway! But you’re right, he is acting like a closet case.

3. I’m neither metropolitan or elite and I still think marriage equality is a priority.

4. “I think they will be looking for economic and social issues to be dealt with first.”

1) at what point are economic and social issues considered through? Are they not perennial factors of political life which develop without end?

2) marriage equality is a social issue

1. arguably an economic issue aswel in that it would likely bring more business for companies involved in the marriage trade

2. Is he really telling us that his party is so inept that it can not multi task in handling differing legislative issues?

5. I think it is a genuinely homophobic comment because it buys into a stereotype that all gays people live in urban areas, whereas in truth there are many gay people living in suburban and rural areas and often these are the people who feel more isolated and are more likely to be victims of prejudice etc. Within the entire LGBT community those rural and suburban LGBT people will benefit perhaps more than the urban ones by positive changes in legislation such as marriage equality.

Perhaps if he took a minute to challenge his own stereotype-influenced views he would realise this. Does he really think all gay people move to the big city?

Even if they did does that mean that the needs of city-dwellers are less important or valid?

6. Yes, the government shouldn’t do ANYTHING besides concentrate on the economy. Because that’s how it works of course!

Stop trying to dress up your homophobia Mr Byrne. You didn’t seem to care about wasting government time when you were running around giving favours to Adam Werrity.

1. And what favours was Adam Werrity giving Liam Fox in return?

1. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Jun 2012, 2:07pm

Quite! Another closeted self-loather no doubt and what else but a Tory who have the monopoly on opposition to equal marriage.

1. Conservatives don’t have a monopoly, there are Labour MPs who have stated they will vote against, I will agree that it’s mostly Conservatives though.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Jun 2012, 3:23pm

Let’s say that the conservatives have the overwhelming monopoly then, and they do compared to the number of Labour MPs who are voting against it.

2. Conservatives certainly don’t have a monopoly on homophobes, there are some in Labour and the SNP too, not to even mention the Northern Irish parties. But there do tend to be more of them in the Tories than the other main parties.

Look at the Scottish Parliament for a minute – of the 15 Tory MSPs only 2 have so far come out in favour of marriage and 7 have already said they’ll vote against it, that’s basically half of them.

3. Er … vast majority of the against are either Tory or N Irish parties

4. Yes, Stu, I said as much, although in a more subtle way – but they don’t have a monopoly on having MPs who don’t support marriage equality or MPs who are homophobic in general. Look at the SNP, for example, where at least 4 current government ministers have spoken out or voted against gay equality. Also, 1 SNP MSP has already said he’ll vote against marriage equality – making him, 7 Tories and Bill Walker (former SNP) the only ones to have done so, so far. So other parties other than the Tories do have homophobes.

7. Further evidence as to why Liam Fox should not hold any public office.

He is out of touch and closed minded, just like his colleague, the awful Nadine Dorres!

1. She really is awful, you’ve got that right! Not justcwhen it comes to gay issues either!

1. I am glad that she is not my MP! Just a shame that we are not able to effectively fire the MPs until the next election!

2. Thankfully The Boundary Commission (I’ve always loved that name!) will see to the demise of that evil b!tch Dorries as her seat is set to disappear with the next round of electoral changes.

8. Yes, I think he’s setting us up. He’s lying about the situation so that he can point to the inevitable negative reaction as justification for continuing a hate campaign against LGBTs and voting against equal marriage. He’s treating us like caged rats, provoking an angry reaction to justify continued caging. He’s as sly as a fox!

9. I completed the consultation! In support of equal marriage of course. I’m so glad I scraped in, it’s a just a few more days.
    Lots of times I have the best of intentions and absolutely no follow-through (so annoying). This time I did put the effort in, yes!
    Very happy.

1. Rhoderick Gates 11 Jun 2012, 3:36pm

Is the consultation thing closed now?

I keep getting a crocked up page

1. Closes Thursday

2. Cardinal Capone 11 Jun 2012, 4:38pm

Done mine.

2. Cardinal Capone 11 Jun 2012, 6:08pm

It’s actually quite short and to the point and only took me 5-10 minutes.

10. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Jun 2012, 2:05pm

I’m sick and tired of being told that equal marriage isn’t necessary and isn’t a priority.

You know, all of these Tory naysayers would still say it isn’t a priority or necessary even if the economy were in top notch condition and unemployment very low. They find every lame excuse to come up with to justify their bigotry.

My gaydar says Fox is a closet case. People like that need to be outed for the harm they do. Equal marriage isn’t about social engineering at all. Would he agree that giving women the vote was social engineering? The only thing that I would call social engineering is when civil marriage was introduced in the UK in the 19th century. That was the only time that marriage was redefined. I suppose he wouldn’t call that social engineering when divorce was permitted for the first time, all down to and applicable only to heterosexuals. This man’s ignorance is appaling and his bigotry quite evident but then look at the party he belongs to.

1. You don’t even need gaydar to tell that Liam Fox is a closet case!

1. I would rather he stays in the closet then!

1. Absolutely!

2. i like the way you think robert in s. kensington. you’re always on the money.

3. i like what you say robert in s. kensington. you’re always on the money.

11. If there is such a thing as a “metropolitan elite” among the gay communities surely it’s people like Ben Summerskill, Ben Bradshaw and Chris Bryant?

Ben Summerskill didn’t start supporting marriage equality until his position (Not everyone wants this) became untenable.

Ben Bradshaw thinks it’s a waste of time.

Chris Bryant, now a supporter, once stood up in Parliament and said LGB relationships were different to heterosexual ones and we should ape marriage!

So actually I think the queer metropolitan elite are at the back of the pack on this issue and Liam Fox is just straight up lying.

12. Paddyswurds 11 Jun 2012, 2:59pm

The words of a self hating homophobic homosexual so far into the wardrobe he’s in Narnia……. Cop yerself on Fox as they say hereabouts.You are fooling noone.

1. Whilst I don’t agree with Liam Fox, I have real issues with calling everyone who doesn’t want equal rights for LGBT people a closet case.

Whilst it’s funny the first time, if they all are then frankly I’d rather be straight.

1. Paddyswurds 11 Jun 2012, 3:43pm

@IAN…
        .. .. .. Obviously you’ve been out of the country for some time. Do some Googling and then decide if the closet stories hold any water….

2. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Jun 2012, 4:58pm

We don’t always call them closet cases. Each is an individual case and reason for calling them so is often justified. Rational, sexually secure people shouldn’t be bothered by one grouip of people who are demanding full equality. They should embrace it not oppose or deny it. It doesn’t affect them one way or the other. There are even some heterosexual people who may oppose equal marriage but can still vote for it as a matter of fairness knowing that it doesn’t affect them or their ability to marry or not to marry. If Fox were a decent type, priority or no priority, he shouldn’t be undecided, but should vote for it. I’m sick of being told that I already have my equality via CPs when in fact the opposite is true. How much more do 11 countries have to do to convince people that anything other than marriage isn’t equal or fair? They’ve proved that separate is never equal and never will be.

3. I’m not calling him a closet case because of his stance on marriage equality, I’m saying that because of the Adam Werrity scandal which brought out all the gossip about Liam Fox.

13. Peter Gregory 11 Jun 2012, 3:01pm

This tosser has absolutely no credibility so WHY is anyone even listening to him? Look at the corruption and inefficiency amounting to far more than the total social security bill in defence procurement under this wanker. why isn’t he in jail for fraud?

14. I am surprised Miss Werrity hasn’t written a book yet.

1. Maybe they’re still in love! The kiss & tell will come when Fox dumps him!

15. Jock S. Trap 11 Jun 2012, 3:28pm

So Mr Fox… Do Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Trangender people not contribute to the economy?

Last I checked we paid taxes… funnily enough… equally…. though not as equal as the ‘rich’ it seems.

Started hear this argument more now ‘social engineering’… er desperate much?

Surely it doesn’t take two brain cells to work out that Marriage Equality brings social mobility and stability…

16. Let’s not forget that ‘undecided’ still means there’s a chance he might support equal marriage.

1. I can’t tell if you’re joking, dave, or just hopelessly optimistic!

1. It certainly was a homophobic comment.

It could be that he actually wants to vote in favour, because he realises that the world has moved on – but he is licking up to the right wing extemists in the hope of making some sort of leadership challenge in the future.

I can’t decide if my thinking he might vote for equality is more deluded that his thinking he has leadership credentials lol

17. Is equality some sort of side issue then? We sometimes lecture other countries on the importance of equality and fairness Mr Fox.
    Do we have a government that can only deal with one issue at a time?

1. Apparently Tories can’t multi task – this is one of several more right wing Tories who seem to claim that equal marriage cant happen because the government is too busy with the economy

18. It’s people who are not part of the “metropolitan elite”, and young LGBT who will benefit most from same sex marriage.
    The metropolitan elite tend to be relatively cocooned by living and working in accepting environments.

19. Doesn’t the majority of the world’s population live in urban settings… doesn’t that make nonsense of the term metropolitan elite?
    This guy’s remark is just a sham distraction from his own discomforture.

20. Kornelijus Norvidas 11 Jun 2012, 4:09pm

He is not openly gay – and he is not openly against gay marriage. Logical.

21. Kornelijus Norvidas 11 Jun 2012, 4:20pm

To change rules of royal succession in favor of papists, of course, is very big priority. (And very practical, when king and queen can belong to two different churches – or maybe not?).

1. Cardinal Capone 11 Jun 2012, 4:43pm

I didn’t mind that at all until the present Vatican started aggressively interfering in British politics just recently. Will we end up with an Opus Dei conversion of the crown further down the line I wonder.

1. That There Other David 11 Jun 2012, 9:34pm

I imagine that will end with the same result as last time. A government coup followed by a new Protestant monarch.

22. Cardinal Capone 11 Jun 2012, 4:35pm

I had to remember who this guy was for a moment. It’s true, it’s just a pathetic device. I think he’s sucking up to homophobic “friends”, but they will still despise him, poor thing. What he should do, given his political leanings, is adopt a clear libertarian stance in favour of the freedom to marry.

1. I hadn’t thought of that – he’s sucking up to right wing Tories. He’s often described in the press as being a Thatcher Tory so I bet he still has ambitions for the leadership in future and feels he has to stick to right wing values. What an idiot, he’ll never get to be Tory leader!

23. wait, wait, wait… this idiot says it’s the “elite” who want gay marriage… and at the same time he uses such douchey pretentious terminology as “social engineering”?

does he even KNOW what he’s saying?

24. Cardinal Capone 11 Jun 2012, 6:02pm

Why do opponents of equal marriage keep trying to scare people by saying it is “redefining marriage”?

Marriage is a contract. One doesn’t redefine the nature of a contact by enlarging the qualifying pool of people that can use it. An employment contract is still an employment contract no matter who enters into it.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 12 Jun 2012, 11:26am

Absolutely right about that! Traditional (religious) marriage was redefined when civil marriage was introduced that allowed a couple to divorce if the marriage broke down, so this red herring about equal marriage redefining marriage is a load of bollocks, but merely a red herring to foment opposition and instill fear where there really isn’t any. The same argument was made when CPs were about to be introduced and look what happened…NOTHING. I’m so sick of these Tory bigots as well as the handful of opponents in the Labour party.

25. Dr Liam Fox MP
    House of Commons
    London
    SW1A 0AA
    Telephone: 020 7219 4198

North Somerset Conservative Association
    71 High Street
    Nailsea
    Somerset.
    BS48 1AW
    Telephone: 01275 790090
    Fax: 01275 790091

1. Cardinal Capone 11 Jun 2012, 11:47pm

You forgot to write your letter ;)

26. Dr Fox and his ilk feel much more positively about elites, metropolitan or otherwise, when it comes to letting them off their taxes or wangling donations out of them.

27. Yes, of course – and all the straight couples who want to get married are all the ‘metropolitan elite’ too. Idiot.

As Jae has said, it’s actually people you could term ‘metroploitan elite’ who DON’T want marriage, so what Fox says is a complete and utter lie. It’s all part of the ploy to pretend that hardly anyone LGBT wants to get married. I read so many different versions of this lie it makes me sick – and very angry!

28. That There Other David 11 Jun 2012, 9:43pm

Comments like Liam Fox’s show to me just how out of touch the “metropolitan elite” Tory MPs appear to be with the general mood of the British people. Across the country most people want this to be brought in, without all the dithering, posturing and opportunities for grandstanding from those influenced by the Roman Cult and similar.

Not only that, but let’s face it, at a time when the country can’t actually afford to change much, why not bring this in? It’s cheap to put in place, and if done properly will lead to less admin cost going forward. Sounds like the perfect thing for the government to be doing right now.

29. I never realised I was part of the ‘metropolitan elite’! I thought I was a UK voter fighting for my right to be treated as an equal to my straight family and friends and to be allowed to marry WHO I want!

30. “The Metro Elite”, “the gay agenda”, “the homosexual lobby”. I sometimes wonder if they use these pretty meaningless phrases to avoid acknowledging that we’re actually people. It often feels like anti-gay comments/campaigns are against these groups created in the minds of bigots rather than real lgbt people who actually have to live with it.
    It’s just weird that homophobes are so obsessed with us but are solely reliant on representations based on the mistruths they’ve created for themselves and call it propaganda when we try to tell them who we actualy are. I know metro elite wasn’t specifically meaning lgbt people but I just wish they’d say “this term means” and who specifically is in that group because half the time I think it’s just meaningless rhetoric that sadly often works.

1. That There Other David 12 Jun 2012, 11:17am

To the anti-equality crowd we aren’t human beings, we are just walking sex lives. They genuinely cannot see us in any other context than the one thing which makes us different to them.

Yet even that they will see as a virtue for themselves and a fault for us.

31. Jack Scott 12 Jun 2012, 4:01pm

There’s nothing ‘elitist’ about equality. What ridiculously Victorian nonsense. What century does Mr Fox think he’s living in? No doubt he would had said the same about votes for women.

1. Good point – Fox probably would have said that, given the early suffragists were pretty much all metropolitan and, being educated, elite.

32. for someone that is apparently educated and holds a doctorate he doesn’t half come out with some stupid comments sometimes.