New York judge declares Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional

1. Of course DOMA is uncontitutional – it denies equality to LGBT couples.

Great article here:

“This evidence suggests that it is not inclusion of gay persons in the institution of marriage that conservatives find so detestable; rather, it is any recognition of any sort for any gay union. To conservatives, gay marriages are “abhorrent,” and so are domestic partnerships. If that is the case, continued protestations from the National Organization for Marriage and conservative politicians that they are not antigay, just pro-traditional marriage are utterly without merit. They do not want to maintain the status quo of marriages; they want to deny gay people any sense of equal membership in society. “

2. gattagiudecca 10 Jun 2012, 4:28pm

This is great news! I will be honest and admit that I really know very little about the American legal system (of which I am duly ashamed). But, the more nails in the coffin for DOMA, the better. It is one of the most appalling pieces of modern American legislation and I am sure it will go down in history as such. It is almost inconceivable that it was a Clinton who brought it in. Despite my lack of knowledge of the American system, DOMA has a direct influence on my life. My partner currently lives in the USA. I have absolutely no rights whatsoever to be with him as our (almost 20 years) relationship is totally ignored by the USA. I am currently going through the long and arduous process of getting a visa in my own right.

3. Patrick Gallagher 10 Jun 2012, 7:39pm

I am an American currently living in England, partly in order to remain with my partner of French nationality.

It may sound complicated or even unnecessary, but as a bi-national same-sex couple, there are not many options for us.

I should also say that in the last few years I have spent in Great Britain, I have learned to love it for many reasons; it is an incredibly progressive country with regard to gay rights and other areas. However, what I would love even more that remaining here is the ability to gain employment in my country of origin and know without any doubt that I would be able to bring my partner with me. This is not currently possible.

DOMA denies my partner and I the same rights afforded by other married couples with regard to immigration.

Forgive the diatribe, but I just thought I would add that bit for those who weren’t aware of this particular issue. I know my partner and I are not the only ones!

1. It certainly is an issue that currently affect numerous couples and has the potential to affect many others in the future.

I suspect you should have some level of equality in France depending on whether you are in a PACs etc?

It would be good if that equality and acceptance was universally and internationally accepted. It is something we should be striving for.

I don’t think that international acceptance is realistically achievable until nations have the same level of equality as others.

2. No forgiveness required – I completely agree with you. I’m sure most people here do.

3. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Jun 2012, 11:47am

Nothing to forgive, Patrick. It is an issue most of us are aware of, not just in America and one that the UK addressed long ago. I’m glad you were able to come to the UK and be with your partner. We must all try to help our fellow brothers and sisters in America to fight this injustice in addition to repealing DOMA, far more egregious than our Section 28 that has long since been confined to the dustbin of history.

4. GingerlyColors 10 Jun 2012, 7:46pm

It looks like that marriage equality is here to stay in the Empire State. It is interesting to note that the DOMA was passed under the Presidency of Bill Clinton, a Democrat who two-timed his wife by having sex in the back of a limousine. While I like to point out that not all Republicans are anti-equality, there are Democrats who oppose gay marriage.

5. 10 reasons Gay Marriage is Wrong

1. Being gay is not natural. Real people always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.

2. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.

3. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

4. Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn’t changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can’t marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.

5. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Brittany Spears’ 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.

6. Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn’t be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren’t full yet, and the world needs more kids

1. 7. Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.

8. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like the USA, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That’s why we have only one religion in America.

9. Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That’s why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.

10. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven’t adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.

See Gay marriage is wrong – it will upset right wingers – it must be wrong ;-)

ROFL

1. I love this meme – it’s hilarious. My favorite variation on it has 17 points, including these which you did not include:

16. Gay culture is a new fad created by the liberal media to undermine long-standing traditions. We know this is true because gay sex did not exist in ancient Greece and Rome.

15. There are plenty of straight families looking to adopt, and every unwanted child already has a loving family. This is why foster care does not exist.

14. Conservatives know best how to create strong families. That is why it is not true that Texas and Mississippi have the highest teen birthrates, and Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire have the lowest. This is a myth spread by the liberal media.

13. Marriage is a religious institution, defined by churches. This is why atheists do not marry.

(continued)

2. 8. Gay marriage should be decided by the people and their elected representatives, not the courts. The framers checked the courts, which represent mainstream public opinion, with legislatures created to protect the rights of minorities from the tyranny of the majority. Interference by courts in this matter is inappropriate, just as it has been every time the courts have tried to hold back legislatures pushing for civil rights.

6. Civil unions, providing most of the same benefits as marriage with a different name are better, because “separate but equal” institutions are a good way to satisfy the demands of uppity minority groups.

1. Meteors, earthquakes, and volcanoes

1. Love it!

;-)

6. Let us say for the sake of argument that there IS in fact a government interest in promoting heterosexual marriage for the “purpose” of child-rearing. The resulting arrangement is that of a family unit with two people to share their lives with and support any children. The question then becomes, does extending the institution of civil marriage (NOT HOLY MATRIMONY) not do the same thing for the millions of same-sex families with children? Or on the other hand, does extending this marriage right to homosexuals somehow take away or detract from the purported purpose of the governmental imprimatur on heterosexual marriages to begin with, i.e. does it hurt straight marriages to have gay marriages acknowledged by the government in the exact same manner? If it does not hurt, but rather helps same sex couples and their children for a wide variety of utilitarian, financial, and moral reasons, then the opposite of the conservative argument is true, that there is a rational basis for the state to

1. acknowledge same-sex marriages. This is over and beyond the obvious 14th amendment equal protection/due process arguments.

7. Americans take great pride in being known as a nation who welcomes all. They refer to themselves as a big Melting Pot.They are made up of every ethnicity, every culture, every religion. They brag about this to the rest of the world.

The problem is they have to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into being what they claim to be.

As long as everything is based on white culture and religions everything is just fine. But when nonwhites seek equality, or other religions seek parity, or when those who do not conform to the religions of the ones who have always been in charge, the melting pot turns into a cesspool and Americans fight each other over what being an American is, and which religion will be dominant.

When you look around America or back at their history, there was a fight for every freedom or right citizens enjoy. Equality is something people died for, and religions other than christianity travelled a rough road in the USA and still do.

Those who are dominate always seek to

1. sustain and impose their dominance on others. The LGBT community are only one in a long line who are having to die and fight for what America says it gives to her own. They will win in the end, just as others have.

The sad comment on America is that they had to die and fight for their right to be an American.

8. Out Military 11 Jun 2012, 12:12am

Thanks to DOMA legally married same-sex military spouses are denied health insurance, commissary and other base privileges, housing allowance, etc. as compared with their opposite-sex married counterparts. For those interested – http://OUTmilitary.com has been providing a supportive environment for friending, sharing and networking between Gay active military, vets and supporters since December, 2010.

9. DOMA is unconstitutional, DOMA is the product of anti-gay Christians who support hate groups to stop Americans from having their natural born rights in America. The anti-gay Christians are the same kind of people who also wanted to stop black men from marrying white women in America, not too many years ago.

10. It really should not take legal action to rule that DOMA is unconstitutional, but this is the US we are talking about, the so called land of the free!

11. I don’t remember exactly: was the Prop 8 in California also ruled unconstitutional ?

12. Paddyswurds 11 Jun 2012, 10:41pm

I will say with some certainty that 2013 will be a noteworthy year in American history, because president Obama in his second term will be emboldened to sweep as much inequality as possible into the dustbins of history and DOMA will be one of those anomolies he will be rid of and I have a sneaking suspicion we amy also see a federal law on Marriage Equality, hence sweeping the unconstitutional laws of some States into that same bin. A federal law on marriage equality will as far as I am aware trump state laws in this regard. I can’t wait to see the Conservative right go even crazier than they already are. Limbaugh, Beck an O’Reilly et al will likely all have coronys with apoplexy. It will be fun watching them implode en masse.

1. I think 2013 will be historic in a number of countries – certainly the USA – probably France, Scotland, England & Wales, New Zealand, Luxembourg, Ireland, Chile, Uruguay and hopefully others.

Historic in terms of progress (in some cases maybe not final resolution – but definite movement towards it) on issues of LGBT equality.

I think many of us hoped Obama would move the USA forward – but did not quite anticipate the timetable!

1. Paddyswurds 11 Jun 2012, 11:41pm

@Stu..
        …American Presidents are only allowed to run twice consecutively, two four year terms. However the first term boils down to just two years of legislation because the second two years are dedicated to winning a second term should a Pres. intend running again.
        The second term usually has the bolder moves because the President isn’t looking over his/her shoulder with a view to re-election so I have great hopes for Obamas second term.
        There is also the possibility that Michelle Obama will be Americas first female President in 2016 as she is as able as her very talented Husband and would make a brilliant President. here’s hoping….!

13. Paddyswurds 11 Jun 2012, 10:42pm