Green Lantern is to be reintroduced as a gay man

1. David Josef 1 Jun 2012, 9:29pm

Comic guys are getting it on & real life me is still in the dry season, 5 years on. Who said life begins at 40?

1. Hi David

I’m sorry about your disappointment so far.

Yes, fun though these comics may be to read, they are a parallel escapist universe. The reality of the mundane, with all its unsatisfactoriness, is something quite different.

For what my opinion is worth, I think it is best to try to concentrate on what is within our power to bring about, and on what we have. It is very difficult not to focus on what we feel is lacking, which is a recipe for a downward spiral.

It seems to me that it is best to concentrate on building close friendships with people first. People we can connect with. What seem to be physical needs appear to me to be mainly emotional needs in disguise; and there is many a physical relationship that is barren as far as emotional connection is concerned.

So friendships. And voluntary work can be a good domain to meet the right kind of person.

2. Would have prefered Batman, but a gay man in green spandex is good enough for me!

1. Sounds like you’re the one who wishes he was more involved sexually with a man.

2. It would have been too… disturbing for it to have been batman. Having tryouts for different “boy wonders” every time your current one gets too old. *shudder*
      I’m very glad it’s Green Lantern. Can you imagine the bedroom? Any object he can imagine coming into being with just a thought…

3. I wanted it to be Wonder Woman but I’m happy it’s such a high profile character. Way to go DC :) I’ll try to pick up a copy if I can find one (not too many bookstores around)!

1. Hello, transphobic bigot. Why do you think we care about your comments, when all you do is hate speech here?

1. Is they are transphobic or not this article has nothing to do with trans anything. By not allowing Lumi the right to comment and posting comments like this you are only drawing more attention to what may or may not have been written in other articles. As said in other threads, ignore the trolls. If Lumi is a troll in some threads then just ignore them.

1. I’m not a troll, but thank you. I’m tired of people attacking me on articles and comments that have nothing to do with trans issues. It goes to show how mentally ill the trans cult is.

1. “It goes to show how mentally ill the trans cult is.”

The “trans cult”????? WTF????

Mentally ill is the right word, but its just you, freak.

2. Ben Foster 4 Jun 2012, 10:26pm

Sorry, Mike, but I disagree. She is so vicious in her comments about trans that her opinion on other issues is degraded and meaningless and it is necessary to make that known.

1. Midnighter 2 Jun 2012, 9:56am

Very funny Kris, thanks for the link.

4. Inspector Keith 1 Jun 2012, 10:35pm

Evening types ! The Inspector views this as outrageous discrimination ! Why is there never a superhero for normal types like the Inspector ? Where is Sad Man, waging his lonely battle against progress and decency ?

The Inspector is going to have to look at a lot of gay websites to find out why !

Toodlepip types

1. It’s not discrimination. The VAST majority of superheroes, pro wrestlers, TV characters, movie characters, book characters, etc- characters in entertainment – are heterosexual.
      Also, homosexuality is normal because normal means natural, which homosexuality is.
      Progress and decency would be equality for LGBs.

It’s about damn time we got some representation in the comic world

1. Inspector General 1 Jun 2012, 10:58pm

The Inspector thanks the little lady for her views, but feels without a superhero duo – Sad Man and Keith, The Boy Closet – types like the Inspector and others who are “straight” with a good christian interest in gay websites – will be looked down upon.

1. Closet Case & Self Hater – The Homophobic Duo? I wish I had drawing skills so I could make a little comic out of it

And they’ll always be looked down upon by anyone with a brain, superhero(es) or not

2. Lumi please do not feed the troll. We are ignoring the trolls on this site because that is the only way to deal with them. The more of us that adopt this policy of not responding to them the better it will be for us all. Thank you.

1. Lumi IS a troll.

1. Lumi Bast 2 Jun 2012, 3:07am

No, I’m not. I’m a lesbian, and I’m pro LGB rights, that’s why I post here. I don’t post things to get a reaction out of people either- I just speak what’s on my mind.

2. No, she’s a Roll. She can’t type a “T”.

3. “I just speak what’s on my mind.”

And yet your think transphobia is “righteous” and normal? If you’re not looking for a reaction, then logically that would make your one hell of a stupid bigoted cow.

You must be so proud.

4. It is

Transgenderism is a mental illness that needs to be treated, not enabled. Your sex can’t be changed. That is a FACT.

The only stupid bigoted cows are people in the trans cult

2. Ben Foster 2 Jun 2012, 1:19am

I think these posts from ‘inspector’ are parodies. They lack the usual spite.

3. Lumi Bast 2 Jun 2012, 3:08am

I try not to, but I just can’t help it! :X Maybe they’ll go away if we tell them off :P

1. No they won’t. Please do not respond, ignore the trolls, do not feed the trolls. Thank you.

4. The thing to do Lumi is not respond at all to the trolls. I know it is very frustrating but they will disappear when they stop getting attention.

2. fuking weirdo.

5. Whelp, I’ll admit that I was sceptical about it being a major character, but they thankfully proved me wrong. Major props to DC for this. I’m not usually into superhero comics and stuff, but I’ll definitely be picking up this comic, and maybe some other DC stuff, to show my appreciation.

6. Actually we see him and his boyfriend in the next issue of Earth 2, not in green lantern as the image text says

7. GingerlyColors 2 Jun 2012, 5:54am

It is nice to see gay people being represented in the media as part of everyday society. Soap operas are not without their gays anymore after Eastenders pushed back the boundaries with Colin and Barry in the 1980′s. Then there was Jack and Ianto in Torchwood. Gay fans of that programme were cheated by the death of Ianto Jones as we would have loved to see that relationship develop. Thanks to DC Comics, we can now start looking forward to a Green Lantern film. The ball’s in Hollywood’s court now.

1. Jack and Ianto were doomed to failure, eventually. While they made a great couple, Jack’s a loner by necessity. It’s tough to watch those you love grow old and die.

And Hollywood will not show a gay superhero film. Not now, not five years from now. After that? Who knows?

8. Good to see people encouraging others to ignore the trolls on here.

Probably best not to reply to the “Inspector General’s” posts. He is a troll, and thrives on confirmation of the impact of his posts. Just let what he writes be there as evidence of how homophobia can screw people up.

His unconscionable posts are more likely to win sympathy for the LGBT cause from people previously indifferent or mildly opposed, than the reverse. Many people don’t know what some homophobic “Christians” are capable of.

None of us knows what kind of abuse, evil and suffering he has been subjected to, to make him the kind of person he is today. If we had had his parents, his genes and his life experience, we might well be behaving the same way. Not a nice thought, but possibly an accurate one.

9. Agree totally with Gazza’s post.

It is really difficult not to reply to argue or challenge their nasty little statements, if they don’t get any attention they will go away.

Thomas Paine has it right:

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL.

1. (and I was one of the most frequent challengers of the trolls).

2. “To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”

What a brilliant quotation. Priceless. I had never come across it before.

10. or in your case, The Total Loser, and your special powers – you don’t have any. stupid prlck.

11. I hope they can track your IP so the police can pay you a visit. sounds like you’re trying to tell us something. you fuking pedo.

1. WTF do you see what happens when you ignore the trolls? They become hysterical and post and post to try to get a reaction, but if we just ignore the trolls we get to see them go mad in such an entertaining way. Do Not Feed the Trolls is a fantastic way of really pissing them off.

1. You are absolutely right, Man X. Really interesting to observe what has happened.

12. WTF

It’s not worth interacting with them. The just want to provoke a response, and if they receive none, they will go away. (If “they” is the right word). If they get not attention they will go away.

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

(They will record IP addresses: this site is hosted on a Linux box, the CentOS distribution, and the web pages are served by Apache, which by default logs IP addresses).

13. To report concerns about malicious messages on this site:

Stoke Newington Police Station
    33 Stoke Newington High Street
    London
    N16 8DS

020 7275 3087

hackney.police@met.police.uk

14. Yawn. Such tiresome repetition Keith.

15. If there was an IQ test, the multiple personalities of Keith would have issues posting their tripe – when reason fails the weak minded, they seem to report to false personalities. How curious. A mental health issue? No doubt one brought on by the failure of their parents to educate him…. opps, I mean, “them” – we must keep the charade up, its so “convincing”.

16. Is “trust” the new cover word for “hope”? As in delusional hope?

Sorry, my tin foil hat didn’t arrive in the post.

17. Will

I really think it’s better to ignore them. They really cannot stand the lack of attention. If they get not response they will go away.

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

You can see the increasingly desperate cries for attention above.

1. I see your point Harry, now Keith has 3 persona…. and they’re conversing with each other!?! What a lunatic.

1. I know Will ! It’s pathetic to witness, but they cannot stand being ignored. And they will become increasingly hysterical and then disappear in search of attention elsewhere.

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

1. Pathetic is correct, he’s clearly having a tantrum now. Reminds me of how lucky we are to have our mental health, some are obviously not so lucky. The poverty of ignorance is truly, truly tragic.

18. Looks like Inspector Keith has lost the plot. Again. Loving the slow demise into insanity.

Must share this with my husband…..

1. Slow demise ?

1. I stand correct, Harry :) He arrived at that destination years ago and bough a house there!

1. It’s disturbingly weird !

1. But wonderfully amusing in a twisted way, isn’t it? I mean the man is clearly suffering from acute mental difficulties and is utterly powerless in his life and this is all he can do – increasingly shrill conversations with himself? Bizarre. Its like watching a bad trailer before the movie entitled “Marriage Equality is Here” :)

2. Am I a bad person for finding it funny ? I understand why people used to go to Bedlam … to laugh and point at the lunatics.

3. “Am I a bad person for finding it funny ? I understand why people used to go to Bedlam … to laugh and point at the lunatics.”

Then we’re both bad, I think its hilarious!

Ah, the internet:- brings laughing at useless freaks into the comfort of your home :)

4. (By the way, love that quote – “To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” – its apt)

5. It’s rather like the Super Nanny when fractious children are put on the naughty chair and ignored. With crazed trolls such as we see here the most destructive thing we can do to them is to collectively enact the policy of, no response, ignore, and wait for their rantings and insanity outpourings to be deleted. I can imagine that the trolls must be driven mad when they cannot get a reaction, and you can see one of them in particular is visibly wigging out.

6. Will, Man X

I guess we’ve all seen people on the streets shouting and holding conversations with themselves: well it happens on the internet too. Sad. But funny.

7. “I can imagine that the trolls must be driven mad when they cannot get a reaction, and you can see one of them in particular is visibly wigging out.”

Its the internet equivalent of a tantrum. Most amusing. I wonder will it calm down when it gets drink or meds or whatever it needs?

2. Best to try to ignore trolls such as “Inspector General”, as attention encourages their behaviour. When he is ignored, his posting becomes increasingly desperate and silly: see http://www.pinknews.co.uk/?comments_popup=29048 .

His posts reflect his own “stuff”: abusive parents, religiously-induced guilt, feelings of social inadequacy, loneliness, human neglect, sexual resentment, repressed homosexuality, or who knows what. Any one of us could have ended up as unfortunate as he is, with his life circumstances. We should count ourselves lucky, and if we can, wish him a happier future: people normally don’t feel ok about others when they don’t feel ok about themselves.

Even “thumbing down” his posts will probably feed the attention craving. He should be away from his PC seeking decent and compassionate human contact.

It’s also useful to leave homophobic posts from self-professed “Christians” as they are, as proof of what dogmatic religion can do to people.

1. Ignoring it is causing a delightful display of psychotic behaviour, isn’t it? Have you ever seen such an entertaining freak?

Its posts will get deleted soon enough.

19. Lumi Bast 2 Jun 2012, 9:54pm

Nope, not sickening. It’s nice :)

1. Ben Foster 3 Jun 2012, 8:48pm

Lumi is also a troll with vile idea about trans folk.

1. I’m not a troll. I’m a lesbian who comments on this website because I care about gay and bisexual issues

The only thing vile here is being trans

1. you are a troll, a bigotted, prejudiced troll.

20. Wow. A lot of crazy was here recently. All this, just by being ignored???????

1. Spot on Dave ! It is desperate for attention, and it goes mental without it !

Point and laugh, and do not feed the trolls !

2. Well said, Harry! Ignoring trolls makes them mad :D Although I pity him more than laugh really. It’s a rather pathetic sight, isn’t it? And even sadder that he can’t see what a fool he’s making of himself. I cringe on his behalf. Very sad.

3. Thanks Iris ! I started by laughing, but as you say, I now just cringe.

What didn’t change was my delight in its effectiveness ! I suggest we take concerted action to ignore them (concerted inaction ?). I hope you’ll join myself, Gazza, Man X, Will, and WTF in convincing other people to ignore the trolls ?

1. “What didn’t change was my delight in its effectiveness !”

Oh, indeed. That was quite revealing Harry! I mean its back AGAIN like a beaten dog looking for one drop of attention! LOL! Oh, bless. Mommy shouldn’t have drunk through the pregnancy….

1. WOW I don’t come on here for a while and come back to what appears to a mental breakdown. As someone who usually responds to these trolls count me in for ignoring them from now on :)

1. “what appears to a mental breakdown”

There’s no doubt about it.

Look how it desperately tries to bait you into the conversion Kris, its sooooooo desperate for your attention! LOL! Oh, mercy, its hilarious! It must be very ugly to need this type of attention from anonymous people on the internet – how pathethic is that.

2. Haha aww bless the poor Inspector. Clearly doesn’t understand what I said about ignoring it

3. Hey Kris ! Welcome to the broadcast breakdown ! The sheer desperation of it is incredible !

4. Harry et al, I’m honestly shocked by the Inspector’s response. I know we joke about these loons here being mad and all, but this one is gone freaking crazy!!! I also like the general trend to referring to him as “it”, its very appropriate. I will be doing the same in future, he, sorry “it”, does not deserve to be addressed as a civilised individual.

2. Oh, I’ll most definitely join you in the ignoring, Harry! I’ve seen how it hurts previous poor trolls – most effective! Whether they’re here because of their own unresolved issues or simply to be malicious, they’re all desperate for attention. This poor specimen, Inspector Trivial or whatever his name is, is clearly craving any crumb of attention. His transparent efforts to provoke a reaction are excruciatingly pathetic and immature.

Still, at least it increases the number of straight people in favour of equality. I mean who would want to be on the same side as such a person as the tragic Inspector?! Beyond embarrassing! :D

21. John-Paul 3 Jun 2012, 6:13pm

Cue Tumbleweed’.

this is just too delicious for words.

“it” is freaking out lolz

1. It’s quite entertaining isn’t it. Just the ridiculousness of what it’s saying.

1. Its behaviours are all too common traits among schizophrenics.

1. ….and the best bit? All its work, all its typing, all its emotional frustration, will be wiped away by PN tomorrow as soon as their offices open!

LMFAO!

Simply brilliant.

1. It’s just wonderful isn’t it? Something so easy to do by just ignoring them they go absolutely mental. I am loving every single moment of it.

2. And yet it persists in its pointless trolling…

I do wonder whether it’s actually so ill that it doesn’t realise no-one’s listening to it, or whether deep in its heart (assuming it has one) it KNOWS it’s a fool but is compelled to continue because to stop would be admitting the truth – it’s a sad, pathetic human being who has been making an utter fool of itself and wasting its time shouting into the wind like a madman.

22. I believe i will purchase this number. I’m so glad that younger readers can now see a positive fictional gay role model. It will help younger readers to be comfortable with who they are.

Also the kiss featured in the picture looks very nice. Cute drawing!

1. Couldn’t agree with you more. I am not usually one for comics but I may have to get into them :-)

23. “Also the kiss featured in the picture looks very nice. Cute drawing!”

I thought that, John666 – a lovely pic. And I agree with your comment about younger readers too.

1. Ben Foster 4 Jun 2012, 10:29pm

I agree. It’s a lovely picture of a loving kiss.

24. The poor troll has come crawling back begging for attention. So sad…

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

This thread has been a real eye-opener for my straight friends who’ve not always shown that much interest in speaking up for LGBT equality. Now, of course, they’re realising that they must speak out else be lumped in with pathetic specimens like this current troll.

Ignore the troll and be happy that it’s doing us a big favour by showing our opponents up for the sad losers they are. Pity them.

1. BTW, the following are early indicators of schizophrenia:-

–Sudden irritability, anger, hostility, suspiciousness, resentment
      –Suicidal thoughts or suicidal ideation
      –Rapidly changing mood- from happy to sad to angry for no apparent reason
      –Replaying or rehearsing conversations out loud- i.e. talking to yourself (very common sign)
      –Making up new words (neologisms)
      –Lack of insight (called anosognosia).
      –Overpowering, intense feeling that people are talking about you, looking at you
      –Delusions of reference- thinking that random events convey a special meaning to you.
      –Religious delusions- that you are Jesus, God, a prophet, or the antichrist.

Look familiar Iris? The fool who thinks its many people and we’re swallowing the charade is a bit of a give away….

1. Indeed it does, Will! I know people laugh at him but I can’t help feeling slightly sorry for him. I hope he gets the help he needs.

Yes, the bit about us swallowing the charade is SO telling! This poor troll lacks all self-awareness. It can’t see that it’s embarrassing itself; it transfers it’s own feeling to us (eg saying we’re getting annoyed when IT is the one who’s being petulant after being ignored) and thinks we won’t notice; and it continues in maintaining a persona that’s so transparently false and tragic – and yet thinks we’ve fallen for it. Embarrassing! :D

Even its attempts to engage us and get a response are so sad. It reminds me of a poor little child – being ‘naughty’ to get our attention and telling lies and thinking we can’t see through them.

2. “–Sudden irritability, anger, hostility, suspiciousness, resentment
        –Suicidal thoughts or suicidal ideation
        –Rapidly changing mood- from happy to sad to angry for no apparent reason
        –Making up new words (neologisms)
        –Lack of insight (called anosognosia).
        –Religious delusions- that you are Jesus, God, a prophet, or the antichrist.
        –Delusions of grandeur- the belief that you have an important mission, special purpose”

. . . . . . . . . .

In a nut shell a “fundamentalist evangelical ex-gay crackpot”

25. Dude, srsly, get a job or a hobby.

26. Truth hurts apparently – ‘straight’ men who spend hours and hours on gay websites protesting their heterosexuality and obsessively trying to engage gay men in conversation.

Obviously gay men play on their minds FAR more than they do on the minds of men who are confident in their own sexuality.

1. I agree Iris, truth does hurt . . .

It is curious how these Ex-Gay Types flock to Pink-News sky high on their recreational drugs of choice, namely LJC and LGA, and expect us to treatment them with a modicum of respect.

Lets hope they do not have to sacrifice too many goats in order to continue thier charade of keeping thier sexuality nicely repressed.

LJC = Lord Jesus Christ
      LGA = Lord God Allmighty

1. Hi, JohnK :) Yes, the sedative quality of those fundie drugs certainly dulls their minds. I’d be hard-pressed to find one sensible comment they’d made here.

Pretty sad that grown men (I presume – even though they’re acting like primary school children) think it’s clever to post repetitive, immature and pointless comments on a gay site.

I wonder if their senses are so deadened that they can’t see that they’re making gigantic fools of themselves. Cringeworthy in the extreme.

1. Hi Iris, I agree, interesting to see the “Trolls” behaving like children, albeit desperate adults who see that liberal secularism is in the ascendancy, and now feel a need to throw a tantrum as their outdated views become not only irrelevant but unacceptable.

2. Weather has been a bit off so not much opportunity for them to get out dogging. They have clearly had to direct some of their unhealthy energies elsewhere

27. sorry, but I have to respond to this one by saying that the mental image of him washing his privates is turning my stomach.

28. It’s okay. We’ve all been through it. It DOES get better :-)

Be gentle with him, he’s coming to terms with his identity, poor lamb.

1. Paddyswurds 5 Jun 2012, 11:45am

@Al…
      …we on this site don’t ever reply to or comment on the homophobic wittering of TROLLS which seems to have the rather satisfying effect of driving it crazier than usual. It hates to be ignored….
      Please do not feed the TROLLS.

1. But ignoring the troll hasn’t really worked though has it. Ever. Ignoring the troll won’t make it go away. The only way the idiot that keeps leaving comments will be dealt with, is by a moderator on pink news, or a police investigation.

2. @James E — I think it has worked though ! It is quite satisfying to watch their attention-seeking tantrum also. The secret is for everybody to ignore them. Doing this looks to be quite effective.

1. They’ve been banned, IP address blocked. They can proxy, but that’s a short lived solution for them, and I doubt they have the brains.

(It is funny to see they’re demise)

29. Awww, where are the “two” fools gone?

No more “comments”, no?

Not able to, eh?

Whatey-ho and cor blimey and all that, eh, chappies?

LOL!

Shortest “occupation” in history. How ineffective christain bigots are.

1. They’re probably pulling the wings off flies somewhere. Stupid as well as prejudiced. Pity there isn’t some form of counselling for trolls to help them re-enter normal society..

1. “Pity there isn’t some form of counselling for trolls to help them re-enter normal society..”

I think there is Iris, its called Beyond ExGay – “an online community and resource for those of us who have survived ex-gay experiences”

1. :D Ah, of course! They’d have their work cut out with this poor damaged troll though. The more the trolls lash out at us, the deeper their own personal insecurities are, I find.