Dharun Ravi apologises for spying on gay roommate

1. John MSINMD 29 May 2012, 11:41pm

That’s really all he needed to do from the beginning, and he should have accepted the plea deal he was first offered, which was no jail time. He didn’t take it because he insisted that he wasn’t guilty and wanted a trial. If he is sincere, I applaud him; however, since this was released through his attorney and not delivered personally, I have to wonder about the depth of that sincerity.

1. I agree. It seems to be more damage control than remorse…

2. Too little, too late in my opinion. I would have deported him as well if I was the judge.

3. Unless the apology was personally delivered, to Tyler, at his gravesite, and then again face-to-face to Tyler’s parents, it cost Dharun nothing, and has no value whatsoever.

1. Rhoderick Gates 30 May 2012, 2:06pm

And suppose the parents refuse to see him. What then?

4. Actually, the fine should be much higher because Indians do not like to part with their money! That would get the message across more than the other things!

1. jamestoronto 30 May 2012, 5:08am

What a sick racist comment! I — and I am sure many will agree — do not not know of too many people, regardless of race, who like to “part with their money.”

1. Money does talk to some people and to certain nationalities. I better not make any more jokes about the ‘deep pockets”that my partner has and from a Dutch background to. No more jokes about the Scots either. Oh so politically correct, jamestoronto!

1. Politically correct? Is that the term you like to use to make you believe you’re not a racist muppet?

Whatever gets you out of bed in the morning…..

1. All of my Indian friends are having a good laugh about you, Will. Racist? I seem to remember working with hundreds of new migrants to my country and I don’t seem to have had any complaints about being ‘racist’ Just facts about finances and I am accused of racism! Enjoy your next job as a comedian! In fact had a call today from a lady from Bangladesh whom I helped to maintain her work visa and through my network, a professional job was obtained. Yes, I am such a racist. Actually, my government has just fast tracked new visas for those who have Aus$5 million dollars, so perhaps you better tell theAustralian politicans they are racist because only ‘some’ nationalities will be able to afford to enter Australia.

2. Generalisations about over a billion people are not ‘facts’.

3. “All of my Indian friends are having a good laugh about you, Will.”

Is that supposed to impress me? LOL! Please.

I’m not really interested in that self indignant dribble in your last comment, suffice to say that you seem to need to defend such ridiculous racial generalisations and seek approval from others is rather silly, isn’t it?

4. Is that last comment about the Australian government suppose to somehow validate a dufus generalisation about, oh, about 1 billion people? Is the laughter of your “many Indian friends” at racist remarks implying that its okay to demean an entire nation on one silly assertion?

What a idiot. The bigotry on this site amazes me sometime.

2. Ask anyone who works in the ‘hospitality industry’ in the UK which the most notoriously tightfisted nationality is, and the answer would be Australians – so think about being in a glass house when you start hurling your rocks about, Brenton. And reflecting on whether it’s an appropriate remark in this context wouldn’t go amiss either.

1. Australians are the worlds biggest tossers.

Apparently its okay to say that, becuase I got some “Australian friends” to laugh at it.

5. His apology seemed insincere. Why regret now when he could have choose not to drive Tyler suicidal? His parents lost a child while he still roamed freely. I hope he gets bullied in prison or something, just to know what it feels like to be taunted endlessly.

1. jamestoronto 30 May 2012, 5:20am

The North American media have been, for the most part, merciless with this man. Many would say justly so. So, I think the “taunted endlessly” part of your remark has to some degree been accomplished. Don’t forget he has to show up for over a month’s worth of community service. In some jurisdictions the reason for his service is tagged onto an easily identifiable work uniform. Not to sure about New Jersey’s policy though. Agree with you in that the apology seemed insincere and more of an afterthought. “The judge thinks you should do this” apology doesn’t resonate well with most.

6. The only time that this man felt any torment over what he did… was the time he had to wait to hear the what the judges sentence was going going to be!

The judge admonished his lack of remorse… his mother made him out to be a victim. The only victim here is 6ft under! This wasn’t an apology it was a PR move by his lawyer!

This man is heartless and uncaring! he may have feared his sentence… he will complete it, because he has to do! he lacks compassion just as he lacks conscience!

7. Bill (Scotland) 30 May 2012, 7:34am

I would like to think he is sincere in his apology, but like others suspect he is not – he or his lawyers have simply considered it expedient at this stage.

I seem to recall during the trial there being a question over his continuing residency in the US and that he could be deported after completion of his sentences – I’m wondering if his apology, issued through a lawyer rather than personally, is in some way connected. If so it is deeply cynical.

I certainly do not wish this young man to be taunted or bullied in prison or whilst doing his community service later – two wrongs never, ever make a right. We should be better than that.

1. Well said.

8. Too little too late. He already said he felt no remorse and refused to apologise. Even if he is sincere, at this stage it just looks like he’s seeking sympathy.

9. Shove it

1. Here, here!!

10. Hindsight is such a powerful thing isn’t it? If only he had the foresight not to do what he did then perhaps Tyler Clementi would still be alive today?

The apology, however sincere, is too little too late.

11. The prosecution is appealing against the leniency of the sentence (bear in mind that if you are caught shoplifting in that jurisdiction, you automatically get a 90-day sentence), so I suspect this is very much a PR move designed by his lawyer to head off any remarks by the appeal court that Ravi had still shown no remorse.

12. After giving this some more thought, I agree with Glenn Greenwald on this one.

It’s a bitter pill to swallow emotionally, but, on balance, Ravi’s sentence was just. I don’t believe it’s true that this is the first time Ravi has apologised either. It’s known that he was mortified by the whole affair not long after Clementi took his life.

13. “He felt demonised by the gay community”. Diddums. Maybe next time he’ll think twice about bullying someone so much that they kill themselves.

14. Only 30 days?

15. His apology as provided below attempts to absolve him of the accusation of having commited a hate crime. As such it is entirely self serving. This demonstrates his true lack of sincerity and regret for his behaviour.

“My behavior and actions, which at no time were motivated by hate, bigotry, prejudice or desire to hurt, humiliate or embarrass anyone, were nonetheless the wrong choices and decisions. I apologize to everyone affected by those choices.”

He was shamed into making an apology by the judge who said the following:

“I heard this jury say ‘guilty’ 288 times—24 questions, 12 jurors—that’s the multiplication,” Judge Glenn Berman said at the sentencing hearing. “And I haven’t heard you apologize once.”

16. Kerry Hollowell 31 May 2012, 6:00am

Who is he apologising to? His victim is dead!
    he is only sorry for himself

17. Simply put it’s not enough. I hope they do deport him if what the media has said about his permits is true