Julian Clary: Push for equal marriage akin to suffragette struggle

1. The Torygraph can easily be said to be as homophobic as the Daily Mail these days so I’m a bit surprised he gave them an interview.

Just think what will be on the minds of Torygraph readers. First Clary lets slip about his and Norman Lamont’s fisting escapade and now this. Oh dear.

1. Who gives a toss what the homphobes in the Telegraph think? Nobody. Frankly who gives a toss what any of the homphobes think? Those who stand with us and for us are the only ones who matter.

2. I suspect the Telegraph was pleased Clary was speaking on behalf of us because in many of its reader’s sheltered little lives the camp ‘character’ Clary created in the 80s is what they think all gay people are like – depicting homosexuality by resorting to flamboyant, panto oddities not ‘regular-joes’ deserving of equal respect.

1. Shake Spear 27 May 2012, 1:22am

The regular Joes did little for us. The ‘fairies’ and their brave parade are the ones who bulldozed the gates open. I’d rather ally myself with them than with the cowardly, judgemental likes of you.

1. Not knocking ‘fairies’ (whatever that is), I’m pretty camp myself, I’m talking just about the character Julian created not camp people.

2. Was a bit confused why you were annoyed, I now see how you could have misread what I typed, to reiterate differently: there’s nothing wrong with camp or flamboyant in my opinion (it’s fun and normal and I’m sure we agree on that). What I was trying to say was that the Daily Telegraph’s article being seemingly pro-gay is a little suspect as a ‘change of heart’. Perhaps they ran it because Clary reaffirms the gay stereotype (in the eyes of it’s anti-gay readership) rather than a more balanced, but not better, ‘regular-joe’ gay guy, one-of-us type of person (in the eyes of the DT reader). Not in my eyes.

1. Shake Spear 27 May 2012, 2:08pm

Okay. I follow what you’re saying. My apologies, AB.

3. Yeah, it’s not perfect, because all gay people are different, and gay male entertainers are usually by definition more camp, certainly from decades ago. Kenneth Williams, Larry Grayson etc. Without these people in the public eye though, gay people wouldn’t have had much media coverage at all and these people were generally well loved by the public. On the music side Jimmy Somerville and Boy George took us all a step further towards acceptance, I mean, today it’s not unusual to have a gay member of a group at all, yet it was then. It’s also the norm now for gay people to be open and out among their friends today. It takes time to beat the media, stereotypes and generalisations and for people to realise we’re all individuals in our own right, but we get closer and closer every day.

2. AB. your ignorance is astounding. it was the freaks who started the stonewall riots not the lowlife Tory types or the cowards like you

1. I love the freaks and frocks and the colour it brings to the scene. Should read my reply – I could have typed what I meant more clearly. Sorry to have offended. I was trying to say that the DT don’t show a broad spectrum of gays (not that one is better than the other) and only run an positive gay article (which is suspect for the anti-gay DT) when it’s from someone those most famous for a gay stereotype hyperbole. The DT are trying to look balanced but in a way that plays up to their reader’s stereotypes.

2. Also I’m well read on the history of the Stonewall riots and the contribution of all who rose up. I wasn’t defining anyone or the rioters as ‘freaks’ in any way – I saw them as normal. The character that Clary created was intentionally OTT flamboyant (nothing wrong with that either) in the eyes of DT readers it’s what many think of gays. Otherwise the DT put a picture of plastic male figures on a cake (by ‘plastic’ I mean actual plastic). Got caveats on every word here. I’m not a hater, just bad with words – wish you could edit posts on here.

3. Surely the fact that it is a homophobic newspaper is a good reason to give a clear and unambiguous interview to the Telegraph from someone clearly supporting equal marriage?

Thank you Julian for your support!

2. Telegraph? Homophobic? Biased and presenting unbalanced stories? Never.

1. Dr Robin Guthrie 26 May 2012, 10:37pm

Its clearly trying to convince the public that nobody is onside despite all the evidence to the contrary.

They are lying scumbags run by bl@@dy catholics.

What else would you expect for these apologisers of child rapists.

2. Spanner1960 27 May 2012, 10:01am

Actually, that’s bullsh|t.
      A telegraph poll at the last count showed 74% in favour.
      The Telegraph does have some biased commentators going in both directions, but as far as I’m concerned they all pretty well balance out and when it comes to the news they tell it how it is.

3. Peter & Michael 26 May 2012, 10:43pm

Well, we thought the DT was against Same-Sex Marriage, and Julian Clary is quite right that the sky is not going to fall in nor the human race will become extinct, the atomic bomb is more of a threat to civilisation than a minority of people whom seek to love and marry their same-sex partners.

4. Really, Julian, this is NOT the time to be making a joke about a cause which so many on here hold dear!

1. Spanner1960 27 May 2012, 10:02am

Why not?
      He’s a fcking comedian. That’s his job.

2. What joke? I thought all he said was very serious. I think he made the case for marriage equality very succintly. Well done Julian!

1. So are we next going to start chaining ourselves to railings at Buckingham Palace, smash windows and spit at police like the Suffragettes did?

Their cause was great enough to justify such actions.

If we did not have civil partnerships enshrined in law today and were fighting for the basic right for our partnerships to be recognised in law then there might be good reason to.

But many people, including many gays and their supporters alike, see no reason why fully-fledged marriage rights are being pushed for with such vigour when there are so many more urgent and pressing matters to contend with.

It is a demand too far for many and, from my observation point in fashion retail, is breeding intolerance and animosity of a level I have not personally felt since the early 1990s.

1. Are you saying that you do not support women having the right to vote – given your comment “Their cause was great enough to justify such actions.” and comparing it to SOME of the actions of the suffragettes suggests you might feel misogynistic attitudes are acceptable?

Other actions include some members dying in seeking to publicise their cause, being politically imprisoned and waging hunger strike, constitutional challenge, oratories, persuasion – and many other legitimate means.

The predominant issue though is that (in part) through the work of the Suffragette movement – women were given the right to vote.

What Clary is saying in my view is women were discriminated against due to an immutable characteristic – that they are female. That LGBT people are discriminated against due to their orientation – another immutable characteristic is worthy of comparison.

Some people in pursuit of racial equality in the US in the early to mid 20th century said that the campaign of Martin Luther

1. Sam Bi is a fool Rosie, its a waste of time to seek intelligent discourse from him. He’s just more interested in angry rants about himself and paranoid conspiracies. Pathetic really.

2. King, the ACLU and others was going too far, too fast and upsetting people unnecessarily. No doubt some felt it was “breeding intolerance and animosity” too. You know, sometimes to make an omelette you have to break a few eggs.

All advances in civil liberties have been achieved by upsetting some people along the way.

People will look back in years to come and will not believe it possible that anyone sought to prevent LGBT people marrying. If they can read this post then they will find it astounding that a “gay man” would condemn those seeking to achieve equality for LGBT people.

5. Did a search on gay marriage yesterday and this story about Clary was pastered on almost every local paper…..

Well done , he got more publicity than any MP , bishop or academic put together…

Looks like getting TV/Film celebs tom come out in favour of gay marriage gets more publicity than anything…

How about getting some footy personality to say something..

1. Spanner1960 28 May 2012, 10:57am

More chance of getting the Archbishop of Canterbury.

6. I think the list of Tory MP’s opposed to equality needs to be compiled an published.

It’s time to name and shame ALL the neo-fascist bigots in the Tory party so future generations can spit on their names.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 27 May 2012, 12:59pm

I agree. So far, we’re hearing more about those Tory MPs opposed than those who are for equal marriage. i bet if a poll were taken right now, the majority in their party would be opposed. How on earth is this going to succeed unless they support it? Cameron was so wrong in allowing a free vote.

That said, thank you Julian Clary.

2. Spanner1960 28 May 2012, 10:58am

As opposed to all the neo-marxist bigots in the labour party that did the same?

You really are a nasty piece of work.

7. Randal Oulton 28 May 2012, 1:17am

The really rabid haters amongst the Telegraph’s market will be dead in 10 years. And about half their readership has one foot in the grave, and another on a banana peel. So The Telegraph’s viewpoint will slowly be able to evolve.

1. Spanner1960 28 May 2012, 10:59am

Well, I’m one of them, and I don’t have plans to go anywhere soon.