DC Comics superhero to come out as ‘prominent’ gay character

1. hm. sounds like wonder woman to me.

2. A Batman and Robin same sex wedding is on the cards :) … Those two always seemed to have a thing going ….

1. “seemed”??

2. Yeah, not so much, since robin is currently Damian Wayne, Bruce’s Son.

1. On paper.

1. No, Biologically, he is the son of Bruce Wayne and Talia Al Ghul

3. Jason Brown 23 May 2012, 12:53pm

Considering Robin is underage I hope not.
      Do we really want to label ourselves as paedophiles?

3. Everyone’s lips are sealed!!
    lol

4. Let’s just get this out the way now shall we then we can ignore it later

A spokesperson for One Million Moms said “Blah blah blah blah blah blah don’t blah blah blah. Responsibility blah blah blah blah boycott”

1. That There Other David 21 May 2012, 5:17pm

Don’t forget “blah blah culture war blah blah blah blah homosexual agenda blah blah blah ad nauseum”

1. Thank you David. How irresponsible of me not to represent fully their clearly well thought out and entirely reasonable statement. My apologies to One Million Moms, if the first Mom who sees this can pass it on to the other Mom I’d really appreciate it :P

2. @TTO David

It’s a good point you make. I imagine One “Million” Moms or the Christian Institute will be mounting their own counter attack in the culture war by publishing their own superhero comic soon. We will then all be able read of the thrilling adventures of Bigot Man ! Is it a turd, is it a pain ? No ! It is Bigot Man. Marvel, as he brings unpleasantness and nastyness to every situation ! Thrill at the power of his small mind ! Gasp as he gracelessly whines about other people’s lives !

1. New enemy huh? lol
          I’m falling about!!
          Spot on Harry!

5. Yeah right… who’s willing to bet that ‘prominent’ will end up meaning ‘lobster boy’ or ‘the amazing shoe-shine man’ or some other such minor player.

Aqua-man is pretty niche but I even doubt it will be him… I’ll believe it when I see it.

1. That There Other David 21 May 2012, 5:18pm

Lobster Boy getting his claws into Amazing Shoe-Shine Man sounds pretty hot to me. Does this make me a perv? ;-)

1. That There Other David 21 May 2012, 5:19pm

LOL. Actually, I should clarify that despite monikers I picture them BOTH as adults!!! :-D

6. If Wonder Woman came out as lesbian (bisexual would be fine too) that would be amazing :D

I mean, she’s a feminist and an Amazon *cough* It’s sort of obvious

1. Could be ‘Trans Wonder woman’,you never know what might happen…..

1. No, it’s Wonder WOMAN, and should stay that way. We need a famous biological female in the superhero world.

1. theotherone 21 May 2012, 8:16pm

nice sense of humour lumi…

batman – he’s so gay it’s shocking.

1. Batman is pretty gay, but he had a thing with Catwoman I think, he might be flexible :(

2. He’s had many girlfriends too, maybe he’s closeted :P

3. theotherone 21 May 2012, 8:32pm

well they could have Gay AND Bisexual then add in a couple of Gender Variant folks and it would be a rather colourful DC Universe.

4. I would like lesbian, gay (male), and bisexual of both sexes characters

I think it would nice to have a butch lesbian character too, since I’m mostly butch

More ethnicities/nationalities would be nice too!

5. theotherone 21 May 2012, 8:56pm

the more diversity the better – and more realistic clothing.

if you’re going to fight an evil super powerful being do you really want your tits falling out of your costume?

6. This! I don’t like the slutty clothing, it’s very objectifying

Or at least Wonder Woman covering up some would do lol

7. @ Lumi – I call for two new superheroes- a butch lesbian and a femme lesbian, both super hot, who don’t dress with everything hanging out!

This just sounds like creepy egocentricity.

8. How the hell is that creepy lol?

I’m butch, and I like femmes mostly, so that’s what I would enjoy seeing.

9. Sorry, you’re right. What I meant to say is YOU are creepy. How self centred can one person be? Are we all to change the world to accomodate your low self esteem and personality defects?

Please.

2. “|We need a famous biological female in the superhero world.”

You need more then that, you need medical help. Prejudice is the lowest form of ignorance.

1. There are far more biological females than trans women, it’s much more marketable and relatable to have a biological woman as a famous superhero.

I don’t need medical help, trans people need medical help for their illness.

2. “I don’t need medical help, trans people need medical help for their illness.”

Yes you do, and you already know it I suspect.

Apart from that, its no excuse as to why you’re a disgusting individual. A failed attempt at a human. Is it any wonder you’re alone? You DO know why, don’t you?

“There are far more biological females than trans women, it’s much more marketable and relatable to have a biological woman as a famous superhero.”

Really, really stupid answer. Straight women are more common than lesbians, so therefore by your own ridiculous logic, there is no market for a lesbian superhero. IQ 160? LOL! Don’t make me laugh. You’re a complete f’ing idiot.

2. Wonder Woman already hinted that she likes women years ago. She explained that living in an island with only women is WHY it is Paradise Island.

1. I’m aware she’s at least bisexual, even though she hasn’t come out as such, but maybe they could forget her relationships with men, or they could say she was just dating men to try to make herself straight? Something. I really want her to be 100% lesbian :P

I think a gay male superhero, a well known one, would be nice too :)

7. Gosh, “One Million Mums” must be foaming at the mouths! Exposing their children to literature like this? They’ll have hernias…Can’t wait!

1. Cardinal BoombangabangILoveYou 21 May 2012, 5:20pm

Yes, both of them!

1. Both of them… I thought that despite the delusions and multiple personalities we still referred to her as just one (Or as I fear, Fred Phelps in drag)

2. did they react to Batwoman being a lesbian at all?

8. Cardinal BoombangabangILoveYou 21 May 2012, 5:25pm

A pity it’s not Marvel comics, it could have been Captain America. Imagine the GOP response to that!

I wonder what a British comic superhero would be called. Forget Bulldog Drummond or Dan Dare, I mean one in tights.

1. That There Other David 21 May 2012, 5:28pm

Or Wolverine. I’d like to see Hugh Jackman star in that film :-)

2. Galadriel1010 21 May 2012, 8:18pm

Oh come on, Marvel already went there with Coulson in Avengers :P

3. Captain America is awesome, I think it would be neat if he turned out to be gay

DC and Marvel both need LGB characters!

1. Marvel has two I know of, Northstar in X Men and the cowboy character Rawhide Kid.

1. In fact, Northstar is about to be half of Marvel’s first gay marriage in Astonishing X-Men #51, due out June 27, 2012.

2. They also have Wiccan and Hulking, a gay couple in Young Avengers

2. LGBT Lumi. No matter how many time you say it, there is no such thing as LGB. You’re repetition and refusal to accept reality only show up your mental health issues.

1. It’s not LGBT.

Lesbian, gay, and bisexual has to do with sexual orientation.
          Trans has to do with gender identity.

They’re two separate things.

THAT is reality.

1. “It’s not LGBT.”

Yes it is.

NO WHERE is it LGB except in your head. You think denying Trans right will somehow make you feel one bit more of as woman? You’re an awful individual, so no it won’t. Everyone thinks your a heinous example of a human being, and yet you seem to ignore that reality too.

Why is it you cannot see reality? What’s clinically wrong with you?

9. Have you seen the civil war Comic between the church and the gay community? Just image search for “Gay Soldiers”

1. wait what? I’m gonna leave that for someone else to google :S

10. Would hope for it to be Raven, but if they don’t “want to change an existing character who identified as straight” that means she’s off the cards, unless they make her bi…. Seems that would apply to other characters (such as Batman. Sorry to burst that bubble, but he HAS been in relationships with female characters. A lot of them ‘villains’ but hey ho)

Here’s hoping that when they say ‘prominent’ they do mean a character a lot of readers are regularly familiar with!

11. I am not up on comic superheros but is there one who’s human persona is a flight attendant or hair dresser?

1. I am not up on Pink News users, but who promotes stereotypes?

1. Ummm that would be you Lumi. Something about Trans people being ill and needing help for their mental disorder – stereotype much?

12. Rich Johnston 21 May 2012, 6:35pm

Any chance you could mention the original soyrce of this story, Bleeding Cool?

13. All the people calling for a Batman/Robin wedding/union are playing into the homophobic narrative equating homosexuality to pedophilia and incest. Robin (Damien Wayne) is Batman’s (Bruce Wayne’s) biological ementary school age son.

Also, Apollo and Midnighter were a couple long before Didio took the reigns at DC.

1. There has been numerous Robins.

1. The current Robin is 10 year old Damian Wayne, currently up to all sorts of shenanigans with NoBody

1. ChibiOkamiko 22 May 2012, 1:54am

Fine, Nightwing then . . . he used to be Robin . . .

I think so anyway, I always paid more attention to Marvel heroes.

14. Uhmm Batman and Robin? Pretty obvious if you ask me..
    …well at least Robin is gay..not 100% sure on Batman’s preference.

15. Sam Maloney 21 May 2012, 7:35pm

The Million Moms will be outraged… BUT they don’t actually allow their kids to read super hero comics anyway– JEBUS is the only real hero, and anyone who thinks different will share the eternal deep fryer beside every Hindu, Buddhist and Catholic thats ever lived…

1. Do you mean Jesus the Christ or Jebus as in the Jebusites?

16. the headline is erroneous.

no one said a “superhero” character would come out.
    they said a “major character” would come out as gay.

it will be a sidekick, a secondary character like Jimmy Olsen in Superman.

1. ChibiOkamiko 22 May 2012, 1:52am

Sadly, that is very true . . . It’s still fun to dream though, yeah?

1. oh how Batman fueled my childhood sexual fantasies… /sigh

17. Galadriel1010 21 May 2012, 8:21pm

Be still my shipper heart. Although a small cynical part of me wonders if it’s just to try and get the shipper market on board after their gleeful response to the Avengers.

18. At the bottom of the page is a link to a story that Batgirl is gay.

Are they re-booting that storyline?

1. Batwoman is not Batgirl

Batgirl is and always has been Barbara Gordon. Gail Simone has actually made a few jokes about Batgirl being mistaken for Batwoman in the new 52.

Batwoman is Kate Kane and she was re-introduced a couple of years ago as an out lesbian – I think a couple of years ago. She was kicked out of Westpoint under DADT which is probably one of the most profound moments I have ever read in a mainstream comic book.

19. I suspect it may be Wonder Woman. Have you noticed she always kept uttering “Suffering Sappho” under stress…? Also, an all-women island And she got rid of her beard, Steve Trevor, quite fast. It’s her.

20. Good, good, good :-)

21. It must be quite uncomfortable to snog in that Bat mask. But I do hope it’s Batman and Robin!

22. H8 2 B Gay 22 May 2012, 5:45pm

DISGUSTING!! SOOooo Tired of the Gay Agenda- Love their open-minded liberalness- You will accept our perverted lifestyle ways or else! Not. DC Comics, Thanx for exposing our youth once again to the sick confused world of the gays. NOT. It’s So UnNatural. Biologically, it just doesn’t work.

1. Jason Brown 23 May 2012, 12:52pm

Why do you spend all your time on Gay websites and reading about Gays if you hate them so much? Someone got a bad case of denial.

2. But you’re fine with a man who can fly into space? Because that is soooo natural.

And biologically, it does work rather nicely – you should try it some time.

23. If you like this article you might like helping this Atlanta Artist, Philip Bonneau with his Superhero + gay culture photography kickstarter http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1412506312/heroes-villains-3

24. Michael Sherbrooke 22 May 2012, 7:13pm

I hope they don’t change any existing characters unless they don’t yet have a sexual identity. Though I find the idea of a gay superhero to be a good one. These characters are my child hood, and I would prefer to keep them otherwise the same.

25. Paddyswurds 22 May 2012, 10:44pm

Nah, it’s Batman and Alfred Pennyworth, who really isn’t the butler at all but a rich sugar daddy,who disappeared in 1947 by changing his name from Beagle, on the same day seventeen year old Batman met Alfred Pennyworth who came to work as a butler for the Wayne family, and after Batmans parents were murdered stayed on to look “after” batman and made the already rich Batman his heir when Batman was 18., Boy Robin it will transpire is really Batmans “friend” who came to visit but stayed after his parents found out he was gay, when they snooped in his room and discovered his Judy Garland collection and being fundi Christians, were fiercely opposed and threw him out…..tbc

1. Paddyswurds 22 May 2012, 11:17pm

……Boy Robins parents, the Appellbys, then accepted a large amount of money from Batman, so they would allow Batman to adopt Robin as his son. the Appellbys both later disappeared while preaching xtian fundamentalism in North Carolina……Just my version…….

26. Spanner1960 22 May 2012, 11:59pm

It seems DC aren’t the only ones up to gay shenanigans:

27. damnedfilth 23 May 2012, 10:32am

Does that make Batman Botman from now on?

Wasn’t there a gay Star Trek character, I remember the headline in the Sun “Beam me up Duckie”

1. Paddyswurds 23 May 2012, 10:52am

That was the Suns homophobic response to the discovery that an George Takei (Sulu ) was Gay but so was Zachery Quinto the young Spock which they didn’t know about til he came out ……

2. Spanner1960 23 May 2012, 2:44pm

There have been a number of gay actors, but never a gay character as Star Trek is a squeaky-clean perfect place where there is no need for money or toilets and they have a flat area in the genital region much like a Barbie doll, because nobody bothers with sex any more, let alone sexuality.

1. SinnySinSins 29 May 2012, 11:43am

…But Kirk has a new girl every episode. Nice one doing the research there.

28. Jason Brown 23 May 2012, 12:50pm

Is everyone aware Robin is a underage boy? And currently Batman’s biological son, paedophilia and incest, awesome!

1. Spanner1960 23 May 2012, 2:45pm

The original Robin was eight. *URK!*

29. Why are they trying to force homosexuality on 98% of the population? So if we don’t agree we their zeitgeist we are cast out as dung?

30. it wont be batman. Why? 3 words, Talia Al Ghul!