Kansas: School teacher compares homosexuality to murder

1. Sigh. Another day, another christian dimwit spouting nonsense. Nothing to see here.

Point of order, of course, that the ramblings of a woman who is diagnosed as mentally ill is indistinguishable from these bloody fools.

2. Another round of “my imaginary friend doesn’t like gays.”

3. Chewie Smith 20 May 2012, 10:05pm

If heaven is full of people like this. Why the hell would I want to go there.

1. Indeed. Eternity with a bunch of boring sexually-repressed miserable tw@ts. Sounds lovely….

1. Don’t forget the terrorists and their virgins. Imagine the discussions they’ll all have.

1. I was counting them in with the sexually repressed. There’s really only one reason for people to worship the idea of sex with virgins – They are terrified that someone will notice they are a cr@p in bed, so they cope with it by desiring someone who is as untested as they are and won’t know any better.

Kind of pathetic really.

1. hehe I never thought of it that way before but it makes perfect sense. I have always know that religion is sexually repressive, just never heard the justification for it put that way but I think it may well be true that Mohammed had a tiny penis and spouted crap to cover for himself in the Quaran

2. Jock S. Trap 21 May 2012, 11:02am

Excellent point Chewie. If they truly believe I think they heading for a massive disappointment.

4. auntie babs 20 May 2012, 10:08pm

thank god we’re not in Kansas anymore Toto.

5. shoryotombow 20 May 2012, 10:12pm

Then he won’t be going to heaven also. Only God can judge and what he did was against the bible.

However, I don’t believe in any of this religion crap, at least I know more about the bible than this idiot.

6. And the double-standard is obvious once more.

Would he still be teaching if it had been an outrageous racist slur he made? If he compared being black to being a murderer?

No, clearly not. So why is he allowed to get away with this?

1. Because those who employ him are likely christians and therefore they are unable to do anything about it without contradicting their beliefs… unfortunately.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 20 May 2012, 11:41pm

The Christian Institute in the UK would support him and I daresay the bigots on the backbench.

Ah….Kansas, the home of Fred Phelps and his “god hates the fags” hatemongers.

7. “I’m not condemning gay marriage because I hate gay people. I’m doing it because those who embrace it will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven.” If this bigot is going to be going to heaven then quite frankly it would not be heaven and I would not like to be near the place.

8. Heaven must be one Empty place then ,with the amount of people that have sinned .

And here’s me thinking we were given free will ,so if we were,then he shouldn’t of said what he said ….as where’s the free will ?

9. Paddyswurds 20 May 2012, 10:52pm

Five simple words; Kansas, United States of America!

10. theGentleWarrior 20 May 2012, 11:07pm

“in God’s eyes the same as murder, lying, stealing, or cheating” And where would the source for this be?

1. Paddyswurds 21 May 2012, 12:14am

Has anyone noticed that these people have downgraded Murder to the level of school yard naughtiness…..Says a lot about their priorities really.

1. That There Other David 21 May 2012, 10:22am

Possibly because so many of them run around with a Bible in one hand and a gun in the other. They see nothing wrong with shooting people, it’s just sex that’s bad.

This is what 2000 years of re-writing the original message of Christianity gets you.

2. i bet he supports republican party and vice versa

3. Probably Leviticus, like all the other clueless losers who are closet cases like this guy. But then Leviticus says eating shellfish and wearing two different types of fabric simultaneously is cause for stoning. So, Jack eat any mussels lately?

11. Why do the whole wide world have to live according to the beliefs of these people? I do not believe the bible is the word of god, so why should I have to live my life according to a book I do not believe in? If he wants to believe is his choice as mine is not to believe and live my life without harming anyone. My way is even more moral because I do not judge others while religious people do judge others and are responsible for the suicide of countless gay teenagers. Their hands are stained with the blood of innocent youngsters. This teacher is a MURDERER

1. Paddyswurds 21 May 2012, 12:16am

That is a big part of their problem and the reason they have suddenly become so shrill in their protestations.. it is simply that they are now being ignored or even laughed at and that really does sting.

2. Billy Wilton 21 May 2012, 4:17am

Thank you, I agree strongly with you. That teacher being a teacher needs to be careful of what hes putting out there for others to read. Especially in this day and age, with whats been happening allover for the past three years. I only hope some other poor kid doesn’t take his own life because of this teacher’s comments, or any other comments hes made at his school on the matter. And if (God Forbid) one does, or a Bully driven by his statement drives a kid there to it, that he feels the wrath of that dead kid’s family, and closest friends. Maybe, he better rethink his statement, before it’s to late.

1. That There Other David 21 May 2012, 10:25am

Sadly the suicides have gone on for far longer than three years. That’s just the timescale that people have been acknowledging the reasons for it.

12. Shake Spear 20 May 2012, 11:23pm

Gays might not be illegible to enter the imaginary but still tedious kingdom of heaven, but I think a fair few have entered her.

13. Toto, we ARE back in Kansas.

14. Tricky? It’s a no-brainer! He should be sacked and that’s it. He would have been sacked instantly in a more civilised country and the USA needs to catch up fast! Homophobes and hate-mongers are not fit to perform the job of teacher – he will damage the children he is supposed to be caring for.

1. the problem is the school board wants to avoid seeming “too progressive and liberal”, and doesn’t want to risk offending any creationist parents.

15. so, we should start posting that “religiously sanctioned bigotry against any minority is the same as murder”.

the sad thing is, OUR comparison would probably be far closer to the truth.

16. At the very least diversity training and a warning should be what the education team should be thinking – probably much more significant action than that to act as a deterrent

17. He has right to speak his mind. I see no problem with it. Tolerance is the most important quality of wise men in the world. But majority of gays are stupids who doesn’t posses such quality. That’s pity.

1. Tom Stevens 21 May 2012, 1:28am

Your grammar is a pity

2. Rich has made that long journey from Nebraska just to let us in on that gem of inane burbling. If only you could see the joke is on you. Tolerance from nutcase religious fundies such as you? That would be a first Rich. Jane is missing you so much. If you get a move on you just might make it back in time for your meds.

3. I sense home schooling in this post.

Yes, he is free to speak his mind. That freedom does not guarantee a soapbox upon which to stand, a sympathetic audience or immunity from the social ramifications of being a t00l.

4. “But majority of gays are stupids who doesn’t posses such quality”

I think that might be you, not least becuase of your poor schooling in English.

Its proven people like you are less intelligent than people like us.:- http://www.livescience.com/18132-intelligence-social-conservatism-racism.html

Oh, dear. Poor stupid Rich, eh?

5. You are acquainted with ‘the majority of gays’ then, are you Rich? Oh, well done!

6. Yeah, tolerance means giving a free pass to bigots of all stripes in Rich world.
      If it wears a red armband or burns crosses on someone’s lawn then we should just view it as a harmless example of free expression protected under the 1st amendment.
      Dumbass.

7. @Rich

Of course he has the right to speak his mind. No one here is denying that.

However, he should — as everybody should — expect to be challenged over things he said. Tolerance is not about silently accepting what other people say. Tolerance is about letting other people live their lives, so along as those lives do not affect yours.

Casting every gay person as stupid is not really a way to win an argument. Do you understand this ?

18. Hardly the mindset of a responsible person to “Mentor, enlighten, encourage inform and inspire” the youth of America!

19. “He also claimed that the Bible unequivocally claimed being gay was a sin.”

Like all bigots, he obviously hasn’t read the rest of that bible.

His kind is dying off. Or getting he medication they need.

20. Jack Conkling, who teaches social studies at Prairie Middle School … wrote … that being gay ‘ranks in God’s eyes the same as murder, lying, stealing, or cheating.’

He speaks for God then, does he? On whose authority, I wonder?

1. Jack Conkling is the same kind of person who goes up to a bell tower with a long range high power rifle and takes children out, simply becuase the voice in his head is that of god….

21. Oh dear! Another poor man struggling to suppress his own homosexuality, I fear.

1. I do hope not. The thought of someone like him being gay is not appealing.

22. What really is scary is that someone who believes in The Kingdom of Heaven is a social studies teacher.

23. Given that Heaven is a gay nightclub in King’s Cross I always assumed it was the heteros who require a gay ‘plus one’ to get them past door security.
    Why is he so keen to get in a gay nightclub?

1. There are two ‘Heavens’ ?
      one in Charing Cross and now another in King’s Cross !
      Don’t let that bigot into either!

1. Sorry, my memory of London clubs is a bit rusty… I stand corrected!

1. Heh – you mistook which cross to bear!

2. The music is good in either venue and this guy seems Well-Jel!

24. Keep schools secular.

1. I imagine what’s ‘tricky’ about this issue is that he has expressed these views on Facebook, not in the classroom — there’s no indication that Prairie Hills Middle School itself is anything other than secular (or as non-religious as anything can be in Kansas) as far as I can see.

25. You have to know that in Kansas gay sex is still (this very day) considered a crime (although the Supreme Court of the United States declared such laws unconstitutional in 2003).
    So it’s very unlikely he will face any disciplinary action.
    In the Bible Belt gay people are still very much considered second class citizens.

26. Isn’t there a biblical saying that he without sin cast the first stone? I doubt very much that this man has led a sin free life!

I’m not religious and belive that when we die, that is it, we go into the ground and that is it!

Bit of an unfortunate surname too don’t you think?

27. This is a teacher who can’t even get his grammar correct in a simple sentence.

He’s comparing ‘being something’ to ‘doing something.’ If he had an ounce of sense he’d be comparing gay people to murderers, liars, thieves and cheats.

But then if he had an ounce of sense, chances are he wouldn’t be doing that either…

28. anyone else getting a vibe from him? picking him up on the gaydar at all? or is it just me?

Oh well. As a social studies teacher, im not sure wether he was doing this as a stunt or trying to teach his class something :S or hes just a biblebasher

29. Kansas living up to its bad name again. This man is a disgustingly irresponsible individual publically voicing irrationally hostile beliefs without regard to his professional duty.He should be dismissed, just as he would be if he had said that ethnic minority students were morally and intellectually inferior to whites in an equivalent public forum while having a professional duty to teach and mentor them. Could he also be another case of somebody too thick to realise that Facebook is a public forum? In which case he is too thick to teach anyway.

30. de Villiers 21 May 2012, 10:58am

What is sad, is the typically American false, reverse confessionalism.

31. Jock S. Trap 21 May 2012, 11:01am

Shameful.

There is nothing ‘tricky’ about this… this man should not be around children full stop. His comments amount to abuse and had it been sexual, racial or otherwise he would have been removed.

It’s time the LGBT community were not seen as easy targets to spread hatred and discrimination.

32. Dismiss.

33. “I understand that there were some folks who didn’t understand my heart, and while that’s sad, it is what it is.”

Why no, Mr. Conkling, I think it is very easy to understand your heart. Thank you for making it plain exactly what you are.

34. ‘… Jack Conkling wrote in a comment on his personal page that being gay ‘ranks in God’s eyes the same as murder, lying, stealing, or cheating…’

if i was god i would sue him for defamation.

1. Paddyswurds 21 May 2012, 3:20pm

If you were “god” you wouldn’t exist. you would just be the figment of someones imagination…..

35. ‘There are no indications of a disciplinary action’- He compared homosexuality to murder. People have lost their jobs in the past for teaching that homosexuality is natural. If homosexuality can’t be promoted in schools, then homophobia most certainly shouldn’t be allowed to be promoted.

36. Miguel Sanchez 21 May 2012, 2:24pm

The students in his class should all walk out and DEMAND to be put in another. They should stay as far away from him as possible.

37. I’d like to ask him and people like him this:

If you get to the gates of heaven and [your] God confronts you on your hatred towards ‘gays’, could you live with yourself for eternity in the knowledge that you perpetuated a myth that [your] God could ever hate someone for who they are?

38. “I’m not condemning gay marriage because I hate gay people. I’m doing it because those who embrace it will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven.”

With a statement like this, Jack Conkling believes he is God!

39. “I’m not condemning gay marriage because I hate gay people. I’m doing it because those who embrace it will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven.”

With a statement like this, Jack Conkling obviously believes he is God!

40. I definitely would not want to enter ‘The Kingdom of Heaven’ if this idiot and others of his ilk are there. That would make the other place much more preferable in my view.

But being an atheist means I guess I won’t go anywhere.

41. as I always say ‘anyone who believes in hell deserves to go there’. Nuff said.

42. I was flicking through the 10 commandments over lunch, as I often do, and I noticed not one f*kcing word about homosexuality.

No adultery, no stealing, no murder, must stop lying about the man next door, have the day off on Sunday, but not a single word about bum sex.

If it really was so important wouldn’t you think someone (possibly God or Moses maybe, or I don’t know who – but one on them anyway – Herod, he’s another one I think, maybe Herod) would have scratched out an 11th commandment for the avoidance of ay doubt?

I mean it would have just made things a bit clear – we all know we’re not supposed to slice someone’s head off with a meat cleaver, and similarly we all know its wrong to steal (unless its stationery from work obviously).

1. Staircase2 22 May 2012, 2:32am

Well thats not strictly true – although the one bit talking about abomination is open to debate since people usually tend to take the English translations as the source of their ‘evidence’…(completely forgetting that it wasnt actually written in English to start with…)

1. But that’s not one of the 10 Commandments, is it?

2. When flicking through did you notice the awkward bit where the ten commandments are repeated a little later on in Exodus 34 and happen to be different from the original at Exodus 20?

Just goes to show that even in the same chapter of this work of fiction they cannot agree. I almost get the image of a group of bearded men writing the bible and arguing about who is to write the ten commandments and the losing party sticking them in his bit just to get one back at the other guy.

Exodus 20:17 does say “thou shalt not covet… thy neighbour’s ass” but I think they mean donkey in that particular bit.

43. Who elected this man as god’s representative on Earth?? Not that I believe in any god, but the arrogance of this man to try to dictate to others what some deity thinks is gobsmacking.

Maybe he should join a church if he has such a hotline to God? He certainly shouldn’t be working in a school with such prejudiced ideas. Who will ‘god’ tell him is the next group bound for hell? Women? Disabled people? People with a different skin colour from his?

So much for the separation of church and state in the US. Religion should keep out of schools.

44. It sure would be fun to set up a picket line at his home, with lovely signs saying things like “God hates homophobes” or “Protect your children from Jack Conkling”

45. Teacher is correct: homosexuality violates God’s Order. He is a good man. Congrats!
    As for most of homosexual freaks, they just jealous of God’s men and full of idiotic intentions…

1. Your imaginary friend said we violated his order? Well that’s me put in my place.
      By the way Harvey the 6 foot invisible bunny rabbit thinks you’re a douche.

2. You arr silly idyotych person, Rich from Russya. You should llearn venn to shyut up, no?

3. Staircase2 22 May 2012, 2:27am

…You’re a bloody idiot…(who wouldn’t recognise the word of God if it came gift-wrapped with a large bow and a little card saying ‘hi, Rich, I think you’re getting the whole premise of my Son Jesus’s work all VERY wrong; Come over for a coffee and lets have a nice long chat. Lots of Love GOD x’)

4. Forgive me here, but the leaders of most forms of Christianity have acknowledged that the bible is the work of imperfect men… not god.

Also seeing as you have this persistent imaginary friend, may I suggest you get yourself into the real world, make some real friends and then let go of the childish notion of the Sky Fairy?

46. Joan Rivers says that the most intelligent people in the US live on the coasts and that people get more stupid the further inland they are. Kansas is right in the middle.

47. GingerlyColors 21 May 2012, 7:06pm

Sounds like a member of the congregation of the Westboro Baptist Church which is based in Kansas. Jack Conkling sounds like that Muslim fundie I once saw on television.
    Asked about adulterers, he said ‘we stone them.’
    Asked about homosexuals, he said ‘we hang them.’
    Asked about murders, he said ‘God is very forgiving.’
    One thing I never understood abouit religious fundamentalists is that they never get things in perspective.

48. After we read that this happened in Kansas, can anyone really say that they were surprised about this?

49. No wonder Dorothy left.

50. Thomas Dupont 21 May 2012, 7:57pm

I compare being a Christian to murder.

At least I have some evidence as such!

1. The problem is they are so brainwashed that your evidence will be seen as either a test from god or Satan tempting you. They however can see Jesus in a slice of toast and this is enough of a justification for belief even in the face of extreme contradiction.

51. Praise the Lord! All this time I thought there were dark forces at work. Now I realise that I won that ice pick in a rigged poker game with stolen money to murder my mother because I’m gay. Until now I thought there was something wrong with me!

52. Staircase2 22 May 2012, 2:23am

“Jack Conkling” “wrote in a comment on his personal page that being gay ‘ranks in God’s eyes the same as murder, lying, stealing, or cheating.’ ”

…er no it doesn’t – assuming you even interpret the Bible in that way, it ranks lower down in the scale than eating shellfish or being Disabled and going up to the Alter to receive Holy Sacrament…(none of which tends to get knee-jerk & uniformed Christians going on the same scale curiously enough…)

53. Here’s the part that stuck out to me ” …and is also a baseball coach at Buhler High School …”

When I witness such homophobia from a person who is neither personally threatened nor bothered by homosexuals, it leads me to believe there’s something under the hood that isn’t being discussed. Pedohilia, for example. While I’m certainly not saying Mr. Big(ot) is a pedophile, nor that he would willingly hurt any of the children he teaches/coaches, I would be brazen enough to say that good, honest, caring, respectful people don’t hate. They don’t judge. And they certainly don’t condemn in the name of the Lord.

What are you hiding, Mr. Big(ot)?

54. Honestly, though it’s sad to know there’s one more person out there who believes this, his views are not that extreme. My own parents believe this. ALL sins are equal in god’s eyes and that’s just a fact. That the Bible says homosexuality is absolutely wrong is more open to debate.
    This man really isn’t some sort of idiotic Christian douche bag. Refusing to show support of gay marriage makes him ignorant of the meaning of “freedom of religion” but we really can’t bash him for his beliefs. And it IS his personal Facebook account. Though he shouldn’t have students on it, it is his personal social media page, and therefore he shouldn’t be admonished for posting his personal beliefs on it.
    I’m of course, not agreeing with his sentiments (I’m openly gay myself) but he didn’t do anything wrong here other than allowing students to friend him on facebook.

1. in most school districts social media is nopt shared between students and teachers, however this is a very small community and the teachers there (according to my daughter) use facebook to communicate to students either to check on them or remind them of assignments. this man scared atleast 1 student who contacted my daughter and said she was affraid to go back to class after only recently having come out. he deals with our youth at a very difficult time when they are figuring out who they are and they dont need to be around this man

55. 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (NIV): “Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor aulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor theives nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanders nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God”

-It’s not that my former teacher “hates” the person for being gay, he hates the decision the person makes. Heaven won’t be empty; But the pathway to heaven is more narrow than the pathway to hell.

As for the comments of Mr. Conkling being a bigot, idiot or whatever else; None of you have had him as a teacher. He’s the most humbled teacher I’ve ever had as a 2012 Buhler High School graduate. You can’t criticize an individual as a person based on a single comment from Facebook.

1. we cany? i believe that i have every right to considering i am one of the millions of openly proud and gay people that he took it upon himself to call a murderer. Humbled? I might not have been one of his students (thank god for small miracles) but its a little to obvious just how humble he actually. He doesnt like gays? Then tell his shallow ass t ok stay far away from us and our children. I would let this man teach my child to tie there sboes. Happy Gay Day :))

1. That, and he is so humble that he thinks he speaks for god.

2. Judging by the Old Testament just about everyone in the world is going to hell, yourself included.
      When you set the morality bar so high that people who pick up sticks on a sunday/ wear polycotton socks/ have ever eaten a prawn sandwich are all going to hell [all in Leviticus], it begs the question, who’s left?
      In the words of Woody Allen “Everything good in life is either illegal, immoral or fattening”.
      Just as well the Old Testament is demonstrably a myth cobbled together by a posse of bronze age middle eastern peasants who still thought the earth was flat and that the sun orbited the earth.
      And if you think being gay is a ‘decision’ you know sweet F.A. about human nature.

1. Is a child molester born a child molester than?

1. Yes.

“Pedophilia can be described as a disorder of sexual preference, phenomenologically similar to a heterosexual or homosexual sexual orientation because it emerges prior or during puberty, and because it is stable over time” – Brian L. Cutler, Encyclopedia of Psychology and Law, SAGE, 2008, ISBN 978-1-4129-5189-0, p. 549

1. …ergo, homosexual is no more or less likely to be a paedophile than a straight person. That IS what you were implying, Flav4, isn’t it?

Its a common mistake make by fools, religious and generally the unlearned.

3. Which Greek word was translated as ‘homosexual offenders’, Ryan A? Do you even know?

If Mr Conkling is humble, or even ‘humbled’, then all I can say is that he has much to be humble about.

1. I believe it was Arsenokoitai..
        Are you suprised I “Even” knew?
        Thats all I’ll say
        God bless

1. The internet enables fool like you to look clever, doesn’t it? Bully or you.

2. Nope… put that through google translate from greek to english and drew one big nothing.
          I call BS on that.

1. Rehan- interesting, from the link you mention it’s an ancient greek neologism coined by Paul which never caught on and could mean anything in context from homosexual to pimp to gigolo to masturbator or none of the above.
            Not exactly conclusive is it?

2. Exactly – ‘homosexual offender’ isn’t quite adequate IMO!

3. Oh no Ryan, you need to say more: do you, in your wisdom, accept that ‘homosexual offender’ is the most accurate translation of arsenokoitai, a word that, apart from anything else, is gender-specific (unlike homosexual)?

2. surely “homosexual offender” refers to rapists?

3. Wim in Holland 22 May 2012, 11:57pm

Because love is something very very different from offend, homosexual lovers can not be homosexual offenders.

4. “You can’t criticize an individual as a person based on a single comment from Facebook.”

Of course you can. Its speaks volumes about him, humble he may be, but an idiot and bigot is also true.

“he hates the decision the person makes”

I see he thought you how to be stupid too? Wow, he IS a good teacher…..

5. The usual selective, condescending drivel from a Bible-basher. Tell me, do you hate women’s decisions to speak in Church and feel that slaves should obey their masters, like that shyster Paul of Tarsus whom you quote? I doubt it, somehow. If someone denigrated your feelings and relationships in these terms you would not feel personally respected or affirmed, especially by a person with this sort of authority over you.

56. Only a couple of things to say to that What an eefen dickhead he is.

57. my daughter was his student last year(2011) and she is the main lgbt supporter in her school. almost immediately after this went public one of his students contacted my daughter saying she was affraid to go back to his class

58. Techiechick 22 May 2012, 11:01am

In his heart? does he really have one?

59. The Ten Commandments of the Bible does not speak, so I am not going to deal with a man who can not take care of myself. If you do not understand at all about sexual history, then you have no idea about the story of real life. The Bible is still the general handling of threats and abuses of human resources in comparison to God. Who is clear that the man himself him a fool not to know what is the correct answer own. The teacher is a teacher, but does not excuse our own mistakes.

1. Would you kindly get someone to straighten out your grammar and syntax, if possible, and re-post?

1. Or just plain English would do.

60. Aren’t Lying, Cheating, stealing and murder some of the things in the ten commandments that you shouldn’t do? Gay hasn’t made the top ten, so how can they be equal?

1. The Decalogue is addressed to male property owners who might fancy other gods, as well as a few other things. Mostly irrelevant to humanity in general.

61. Nauseating guy.