Video: Raggae star Beenie Man renounces homophobia, supports gay rights

1. Kevin Cather 18 May 2012, 10:18pm

At first I thought he was just jumping on the bandwagon but he does make a fair point. Nobody is the same person they were 20 years ago. I’m sure in his industry he has came across lots of different people who have opened his mind. A lot of homophobic people are homophobic because they have never had any interaction with gay people. Live and let live. Let’s not hold any grudges…

1. Absolutely!

A bit late in the day, of course, but he seems sincere.

2. This is nonsense. He was spouting the murderous anti-gay lyrics just a year ago. And why isn’t the bastard still in prison?

2. It seems sincere but he does have a big financial motive for saying this, as his homophobia has seriously damaged his career and earnings. I would only truly believe him if he wrote, recorded and released a song about equality.

1. “Equality Street”? ;-)

I agree with your comment in full. I hope the other hitherto homophobic dancehall/reggae artists (e.g. Buju Banton) will follow suit sooner rather than later. 20 years ago I was making homophobic remarks (although not violent ones) in order to “fit in” at school and stop people realising that I was gay. I wouldn’t think it fair for people to hold that against me now. I suspect that there are many others here with similar stories.

I think we need to forgive anyone who genuinely repents previous homophobic remarks. It sets a good example of tolerance. If we don’t do that then such people may not think it worthwhile to renounce their unpleasant comments in the future.

3. Wim in Holland 18 May 2012, 10:45pm

That he wasn’t allowed to perform at among others places in Belgium and the Netherlands did help him tot think. The loss of money helped him further.

1. Kevin Cather 18 May 2012, 10:51pm

Who cares what helped him. Sure, his motives are questionable but if we are gonna hold a grudge to everyone who comes out with statements like this, there is no point to fighting for equality. People do change!

1. People who change only because their murderous music is being boycotted and decent countries will not allow him to perform it, are not sincere. They are merely opportunitistic. This man is a thug who has blood on his hands.

1. Maybe he has changed – let him prove it?

4. We take for granted that we believe what we do. imagen what it takes to change your views on something that far. I thank him for saying he was wrong. That’s not an easy thing to do.

5. Well I have a hard time believing him, I honestly think he’s saying it to jump in on the black musician supporting LGB rights bandwagon, and so countries that banned him will let him perform. I don’t think you can go from saying execute all the gays to supporting equal rights. Well, at least he said it, I can forgive him if he truly means it. And maybe it will open up the minds of some of his fans.

One minor gripe, I hate the term sexual preference- it’s orientation.

1. Oh, and he probably has a financial motive as well, because many LGB/LGB supportive people won’t buy his music, go to his concerts, etc. If he’s truly repentant, he’ll say there’s nothing wrong with homosexuality/bisexuality, he’s fine with gay men, he supports same sex marriage and equal rights/he’ll never perform those songs again/he’ll possibly donate profits of those songs to LGB charities/he’ll apologize for those songs

1. Throw in lesbians in there too, he did say kill all the gays

2. When I saw the homophobic lyrics, I pictured an X ALL the Y’s meme with a character that looked like Beenie Man saying Kill ALL the gays :X

1. chris lowercase 19 May 2012, 12:51am

ive not visited this site in a while. have you renounced your own transphobia yet?

1. no she hasn’t.

2. Never will renounce transphobia

1. You’re transphobic?

2. Hodge Podge 19 May 2012, 10:20am

@Darren It doesn’t make sense does it? Lumi seems to have her head screwed on on so many issues.

3. SinnySinSins 19 May 2012, 11:11am

How can you complain about discrimination, yet be bigoted and ignorant yourself?

4. chris lowercase 19 May 2012, 1:45pm

so you admit it is a fear of your own rather than laying the blame on trans people? a step in the right direction i suppose.

5. “Never will renounce transphobia”

No potential to grow beyond your hate and bigitory, have you? Mental health issues.

6. Twenty years is long enough for me too look back on my own life and shake my head – there are things I’d like to disown and say it was a different person. I say this is good – I’m looking for the fruits of his decision, though. This guy’s new works need to be at least LGBT friendly, even if they’ll never be supportive.

7. Rappa Mr. Ed 18 May 2012, 11:19pm

Happily I’ve never heard of any of these people.

I’ll believe their change of heart if they donate the money they made out of inciting homophobia to a charity fighting homophobic bullying.

8. I am shocked – but hey I look back over the last 20 years and there are things I wish I had not done or said.

Its good to hear him say supportive things- I hope it continues

9. I’m glad he’s changed his mind but I’ll still hold a bit of a grudge.

10. Shake Spear 19 May 2012, 12:04am

He’s tasted c**k.

11. You need to taste a bar of soap. Don’t be classless about a serious issue of spreading hate.

12. chris lowercase 19 May 2012, 12:58am

i dont really care what stops an individual for hating, as long as they stop hating. a few people talking about bandwagons… thats sort of how it works. its a good thing. people look to their peers and question their own beliefs. better to worry about the people that refuse to apologise.

1. Boy you are gullible. You’d probably believe Fred Phelps if he said he loves gay people.

1. I think you’d have to go around with the smelling salts and revive us all if he said he loves us!!!!

2. chris lowercase 20 May 2012, 4:06am

im not saying i have any ammount of respect for the guy before or after this statement. but he has stopped expressing violent homophobia. ok, so lets say the tolerance is just a front. now what? should he go back to singing ‘kill all the gays’? yourself finding comfort in the fact that he is being honest at least?

1. I’d rather have him honest than have us SUPPORT this trash who has more blood on his hands than Fred Phelps, who is just a blowhard that people make fun of. The people in Jamaica actually believe the nonsense this person says. And believe he will continue to spout hatred in Jamaica. He just wants to be able to tap into European and American gigs. He belongs in jail.

1. chris lowercase 21 May 2012, 2:42am

i support him? i dont think anybody here supports him. all the ‘positive’ comments are just acceptance of his statement. its not a U turn from the disgust we showed in previous stories, more of a drop in speed.

even if he continues with the homophobia in jamaica, such an opinion will be questioned by the fact that he doesn’t stand by his convictions. but i cant see the good in him preaching homophobia in europe, as well as jamaica.

and how popular is this guy? i can honestly say if it wasn’t for pink news i dont think id know about him.

13. vversatile 19 May 2012, 1:40am

Call me a cynic, but similar artists have done this before when it suited them financially and suited their touring schedules, and then gone back to playing their homophobic songs.

If he wants to show he’s really changed maybe he could donate the profits from a concert or two to a lgbt rights group.

Otherwise I’m going to wait a few years and judge him by his actions.

14. His sales have slumped within his homophobic audience so now he has to get another one. Why are several people saying 20 years ? It isn’t 20 years since he last said homophobic stuff, it’s 2 years and in those last 2 years he has barely been able to get a gig in Europe. Leopards do not change their spots. The man is a homophobic bigot and always will be. Give him time and the old venomous lyrics and outbursts will be back, wait and see.

1. I bet you forgave Boris

15. I guess Beenie Man has realized that the world is big and diverse. People do change and I don’t doubt he has too. Over the last 10 years, my dad has done a complete 180 degree flip on LGBT issues just by honest engaging conversations. Ignorance is the biggest bigot!

16. Kerry Hollowell 19 May 2012, 7:15am

please remember that back in his home country his home fans may have a problem with him making this statement. So those people who think he was motivated by money to change have to consider the damage that this could do to his career in jamaica and the west indies.

1. Jamaicans are very good at pretending to be tolerant for tourists if they think they can make a buck out of it. They’ll understand that this pos is simply trying to hoodwink gullible people into thinking he has changed his ways. They’ll welcome him back to Jamaica where, flush with European and North American money, he can resume exhorting people to kill the gays.

2. you do bring up a very good point..while some may say that his was just a marketing decision, they need to realize that he has probably also now lost some business in his home nation of Jamaica which is very homophobic..I applaud him for what he has done, no matter what the reason, his coming out and apologizing is a GOOD thing.

17. If I were famous, and held accountable for everything I have ever said, I would be amongst the most hated people in the world. 7 years ago I was pretty horrible to the first person that came out at school to try and deflect attention away from people’s suspicions of my own sexuality. Nowadays I’m mincing around gay pride events in a tank top with every rainbow souvenir hanging off me and thinking I’m Beyonce after a few too many glasses/bottles of wine. People do change, and in a period like 20 years they probably change more than once.

On the other hand, he went quite a bit further than being a bit mean, by actually calling for the death of gay people. I think he could and should have gone further by condemning violence against gay people, rather than this rather generic, “I love everyone” message.

That aside, this can’t be anything but a good thing, and as someone else rightly said, there’s no point fighting for equality if we’re never going to allow people to change their stance.

18. Spanner1960 19 May 2012, 9:12am

I’ll believe that when I see it.
    He’s finally realised that his homophobic attitudes are hitting him where it hurts, ie. His wallet.

I don’t believe a word of it. Leopards don’t change their spots overnight; once a bigot, always a bigot.

1. i COULDN’T AGREE MORE -

19. He said it, that’s good. It’s a smart move.
    His motives may be questionable.
    $$

20. Well done. What ever the motivation he has influence and may have made Jamaican LGBT people a Little bit safer. That’s a good thing right ?

1. Pussyface

1. Spanner1960 19 May 2012, 4:48pm

Dickhead.

1. maybe.

21. Forget about his motives. They are bound to be at least partly venal, and remember that not all hypocrisy is mischievous – it is sometimes the compliment that vice pays to virtue. A public figure with a very bad rap (!) on lgbt issues has come out in favour of our rights – another landmark.

22. SOMEONE’S RECORDING SALES HAVE PLUMMETED AND HE CAN’T GET A GIG – WHAT TO DO – OH RIGHT – U TURN LIKE THE PUSSY WHIPPED BIGOT HE IS – SCUM!

1. Shake Spear 19 May 2012, 2:47pm

Spot on.

23. This is a small bit of progress but action is required for me to be convinced his apology is genuine.

24. the evil little negative gremlin in me wants to say that his management have clearly had some words with him and shown him his bank balance (cancelled bigots concerts anyone)
    BUT…. the homolovely side of me says thank you for your turnaround and may it enlighten more people who still have your (old) attitude

25. I’m very skeptical of his motives. He has been banned in many places so it may just be a ploy to increase record sales but we’ll see.
    Sadly, I was just in the Bahamas and I was shopping in the straw market when I heard a homophobic song being played on the radio by a shop keeper there. It made me sick at my stomach. This garbage is still being played.
    The whole Carribbean culture seems extremely homophobic still. Maybe when they realize their bigotry has financial consequences they will re-think their attitude? I must say that I did not see the overt homophobia towards GLBT in the Bahamas that I saw in Jamaica.

26. If you believe this pos, then I have a nice bridge in Brooklyn I’d like to sell you. Boycott Jamaica and its toxic products like Beenie Man. How many gay people have been assaulted or killed because of his music?

27. Shake Spear 19 May 2012, 2:46pm

I had to smile when I saw all the red thumbs on my comment about this talentless nobody tasting c**k. Obviously I’ve demeaned him, right?

Because scratch the surface of 90 per cent of gay men, and you’ll find nothing but a seething psychological cauldron of self loathing.

That’s why you all desperately need brief spurts of validation from straight people.

Count me out of that one.

1. Longest
      project much ?

2. Agree completely.

28. While I might be sceptical of his notices, I comment any person who learns to grow past bigotry and open their mind, and for that alone, I have to give the man credit. The fight is about turning and changing the minds of people, and leaving the likes of Skinner/Keith isolated.

1. notices=motives

2. Spanner1960 19 May 2012, 4:56pm

That’s not the point.
      It’s not that people somehow do a turnaround and change, it’s the reasons why.
      It’s like so many racists that keep quiet now, simply because it is politically incorrect to voice one’s opinions like you used to be able to. All we have done is shut them up, but we haven’t actually changed anything, and they are still there seething and waiting.

True change has to come from the heart when people see the effect they have on others, and re-evaluate because they see the need to do so.
      This guy has received so much bad press and lost so many gigs and their revenue simply because of his opinions, so in my opinion all we have done is gagged him, which while it is better than nothing it still rather defeats the real objective.

1. I agree, the fear of the fact it’s not socially acceptable to be a bigot may be the factor, or maybe he wants record sales to improve – but I suppose we have to allow for the fact that some people DO change.

29. Inspector General 19 May 2012, 6:05pm

Well done you gay types who consider this a cynical sagging career reviving desperation measure . Gold stars each – what !

Ordinary black Jamaicans who come out gay have a short life expectancy, measurable in weeks. The brothers see to that, don’t you worry…

1. Nothing on Disney?

2. Pompous title.

Pompous language to disguise a lack of education and class.

Must be a fool.

1. How old are you, 12?

30. He is clearly looking at notes out of range of the camera so he can remember who it is he is supposed to say he respects. To hell with his music.

31. Beenie Man says: “Do not fight against me for some song that I sing 20 years ago.”

Beenie Man has written and performed a number of songs that call for LGBT people to be killed. See the “Dancehall Dossier” http://bit.ly/fCob7c (not all of his kill LGBT” songs are listed in the “Dancehall Dossier”)

On December 5th, 2009, Beenie Man got on a stage in Kampala, Uganda and sang “Mi Nah Wallah,” in which he says that he wants to cut the throats of all gay men. See http://bit.ly/aJzNbQ

Beenie Man signed a Reggae Compassionate Act agreement not to promote hatred and violence in 2007. What he does not mention in the description of his YouTube video statement is that he almost immediately denied signing this agreement. See http://bit.ly/buAKVi

Beenie Man’s 12/05/09 performance in Uganda was a violation of his RCA agreement.

1. Beenie UnRapped.

32. Record sales slipping a bit then, same as 50 cent.

33. auntie babs 20 May 2012, 7:42am

ummm, yes lots of people are different to the people we were 20 years ago…….is it really 20 years since he last sung a homophobic song or made a homophobic comment?? Nope he was doing this quite recently. this does not wash with me at all sorry.

34. Too little & Far FAR F-A-R too late Beenie Man….& besides, I simply don’t believe you!