UAE: Two men jailed for alleged public gay ‘fondling’ highlight privacy issues

1. While they are in a country where being gay is illegal and should have known better, this sounds a little like entrapment. The person who called the police followed their car with the obvious intention of getting them arrested, or am I missing something?

1. We don’t know what they are doing in the UAE.

They could be slaves (in the sense that they are not allowed to leave until they have paid the people who trafficked them into that hellish country).

There is a huge problem with modern day slavery in the UAE.

1. As a general rule I don’t think slave traffickers provide salon receptionists, or people with cars, or even people who’re adept at communicating via the internet. They tend to be labourers of limited education who have no recourse to any form of system that could provide protection.

1. Modern day slavery? Citizen gay patrol? Jailed for being gay, and then banished? Capital punishment for being gay? UAE is a backwards nation just like any other Islamic nation in the Middle East. While I understand how a sovern nation can do as they please on their own soil, I also see how this can hurt the possibility of investers coming into Islamic countries. I know my partner and I will stay the hell away from these idiot places.

2. “She then sneaked up on the car to get a closer look, using nearby trees as cover, but the driver spotted her again and moved the vehicle once more”

She must be so proud of herself, nothing else to do but worry about other people having a life.

1. She’ll probably get an eternal afterlife in heaven, or whatever that bats**t religion tells them.

3. why go to a country that is run by homophobes and crazy religious people?

1. A job. Money.

4. Why do people bother going to these backward “nations”?

Why was the old crone out hiding in the bushes at the beach at 3am?

Why not just let all the silly bastards blow themselves up……

1. Probably because she’s a miserable witch with absolutely nothing else happening in her life.

5. While their excessive PDA mighy be inappropriate, but sentencing them up to 3 months in jail might be too harsh. Well, I shouldn’t be suprised when that country is run by homophobes and crazy clerics. Very hard to form a good impression towards Arab folks when they are like this.

6. Tobias Cuthbert 16 May 2012, 11:19am

As I want to become a lawyer in an international law firm, and many have offices in UAE. I have decided that I will not ever go there unless for maybe a few days if I really have to. But this is the way they treat sex outside marriage for straights as well. The state regulating people’s sex life must really be the greatest invasion of all. UK should be happy that they have the Human Rights Act to protect privacy, but unfortunately public opinion of human rights are low here. As Einstein once said: “There are only two things that are infinite, stupidity and the universe, and I’m not so sure about the second one.”

1. Dubai is a hideous, hideous place (in every respect). Do all you can to avoid it at all costs.

7. Christopher 16 May 2012, 1:12pm

It must be a culture of “I can’t, therefore you can’t either – and because I’m frustrated I’ll sure as hell make sure YOU’RE frustrated too!”

Like Stalin’s Secret Police…

8. The UAE is no better than Iran, they’re a bunch of religious freaks who don’t deserve the title human.

9. I find it disgraceful they haven’t stoned the woman to death for being outside of her house without a escort.

10. Errol Semple 16 May 2012, 1:22pm

A car is a private place.
    She should be charged with being a ‘peeping tom’.

11. theGentleWarrior 16 May 2012, 1:45pm

My two-cents, do not travel to the UAE or even have a stop-over flight there.

I suppose neither man country is willing or able to run a gunboat of the coast of the UAE to free their citizens.

and AA & RS

RS – “He tried to kiss me on the cheek but I stopped him because we were in a public place,”

and

AA – “AA, however, claimed RS initiated the sexual contact”

Talk about throwing the each other under the bus

1. I agree about not travelling to the UAE. Some people may not be able to avoid stop overs due to their workplace booking flights for internaitonal travel for work purposes. I lobbied an ex employer to try and avoid stop overs in Dubai and Abu Dhabi wherever possible (preferring Singapore, Istanbul, Addis Ababa, Hong Kong or Jo’burg where possible). The end result we agreed on was that where the cost and timings were not significantly more they would try and use HK, Joburg etc but if Etihad, Qatar or Emirates were the best price and timings then I would have to suck them and see.

12. I think, just from what the artictle has said, both parties were in the wrong. I don’t think you should be getting hot under the collar in a car on public land but nor should you sneak around trying to catch anybody in the act. The men should be fined at the very most, but a jail term is just awful.

1. theGentleWarrior 16 May 2012, 2:11pm

And what fine do you have in mine for the UAE?

13. Robert in S. Kensington 16 May 2012, 3:19pm

If it weren’t for the oil, nobody would bother going there.

1. Actually, Dubai doesn’t have much by way of oil, that’s why it’s so anxious to market itself as a business and trading hub. (It’s still a loathsome place nonetheless.)

14. Scuttle away, troll.

15. Walk on by folks, there’s nothing to see or worth saying about this troll.

Ignore.

1. Seems they were seeking a private place and moved many times to escape the view of others. If a woman kept following me, and was hiding to sneak a peak, I’d think she was more a problem.

Yet, in the end, what a bad country to have such a law, which forces people into unusual and exceptional circumstances in order to enjoy feeling of love. Such persecution is embarrassing at best

16. Spanner1960 16 May 2012, 5:58pm

“The United Arab Emirates has a strict code of conduct about public displays of affection, dress and sexual conduct between unmarried couples.”

This is technically private.
    They were out of the way and the woman sneaked up on them.

17. Michaelmouse1 17 May 2012, 7:54am

It’s about time free thinking people just black-banned traveling to fundamentalist religious states. Why should we spend our money there when they do not accept us?

18. strict code of conduct in 1976 an emirati in broad daylight at a public show was rubbing his cock against my ass without eve me asking him for it , MUSLIMS as sex starved and frustrated, on an other occasion a policeman i had asked for help with my car also touched me up and wanted sex with me . there are many gays in all parts of the world , muslim religious ignorance will never change that . gay sex should be free and allowed world over