Danish vicar refused to bury lesbian after opposing marriage for gays

1. Religious people being d0uchebags. It’s not even surprising or shocking any more.

1. These anti-gay “Christians” are no longer Christians and now is the time for other religions that are more tolerant of minorities take over the job. The Christian religion is truly a very sick and dieing religion when you see this much hate and disrespect of the living as well as of the dead. Time to bury the Christian religion before it starts to stink any more.

2. Just goes to prove how sub-human religious people are.

1. *Insert “some”

1. Yes, please.

1. pmsl

1. Delete some. Add a lot. From a church member.

3. Ok, I can kind of understand where they’re coming from with religious based homophobia when the person is alive, but it’s utterly ridiculous to still be homophobic when the person is dead! If you don’t want to perform gay marriage, then fine, the couple won’t get married. If you refuse to do a funeral to a gay person, the person will still be dead regardless, the only difference will be the mourning of the family left behind. Whilst i’m glad the vicar realised his mistake, the fact that he thought that that was a good excuse at all makes his apology null and void

1. You don’t get it, do you? These clergymen don’t stop their bigotry and hatred whrn someone dies, because thry judge the person’s soul and believe them damned.

When my partner lay dying in intensive care after being brutally gay-bashed in a random attack in the heart of the Sydney gay district, Oxford Street, his religious sister-in-law told me that she and her church were not concerned what happened to his suffering body, because they ‘knew’ his soul was going straight to hell.

THAT is this man’s mindset, too.

1. That’s very sad. I feel for you.

4. Garry Cassell 16 May 2012, 1:52pm

Yes, doesn’t seem like God, Jesus or the Holy Spirit got much to do in their faith…just plain bigoted old fashion hatredddd.

1. They are frustrated because of the growth of rationality and their diminishing control. Lashing out at gays allows them to vent their frustration.

5. So a former government and church minister from Denmark compares gay people to slugs.

Another church minister from Denmark refuses to conduct a funeral for a gay person.

This seems entirely contrary to the views of the Danes. A poll in 2011 showed 75.8% of people support same sex marriage.

Seems the average Dane has more morals and humanity that some of their church ministers. Quelle surprise!

1. Robert in S. Kensington 16 May 2012, 3:10pm

Add to that the bigots in Parliament alluding to polygamy and incest if equal marriage is allowed. Would that we had 75.8% of public support in the UK as well as a Danish state of mind regarding morals and humanity. Arguably, the nicest society in Europe, tolerant and accepting for the most part. There are rotten apples in every society, clearly this one has reached the bottom of the barrel. Even in death they discriminate against us. Revolting man.

2. 75,8 still isn’t enough though… I wish I could say it’s because of old people with strong traditional mindsets, but there is alot of young people against same sex marriage too. All in all I’m still happy to live in Denmark, where most people are for it… Especially when thinking of the horrors of Iran…

1. I wish it was 75.8% in the UK!

6. This creature has NO place calling itself a “man of God”.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 16 May 2012, 3:11pm

Most of them have NO place, almost all on the same page.

7. Jesus moran 16 May 2012, 2:07pm

Eliminate religion And we’ll have a better world , I used to be catholic , now still believe in God but I keep myself away from his destructive fan club , I know exactly how they feel , when my father died years ago in Venezuela I came to ask a catholic priest in my neighbourhood to officiate a memorial service here in Miami for those who couldn’t make it and he said I need it to buy some sort of membership and pay a fee for him to do the service at the end it’s all about money , that all prove how corrupted , money driven, controlling and cold the catholic church can be , sad very sad.

1. Similar thing happened when my mother approached a Reform synagogue to have me bar mitzvahed at 13 (and I was not religious, always been a secular a Jew, personally), so she and my older brother could sit together during the ritual ceremony, instead of him downstairs and her in the women’s balcony. No one else was to be there.

They wanted $300 to do that one thing – because it’s a business, after all, we were told.

I have never willongly entered a synogogue since.

1. Alicia ronay 16 May 2012, 3:42pm

All religius temples are a big bussines …. Its nice to have different Tipes of synagogues… I attend etz chaim GLBT synagogue in south florida …. At least i know where goes my money!!

8. Wow, what a monster.

9. All churches should be stripped of their exemptions from anti-discrimination laws and the clergy held individually accountable for their actions under civil law.

What a horrid, unforgivable thing to do to an elderly woman, her spouse and daughter.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 16 May 2012, 3:12pm

Disgusting isn’t it? And they wonder why there is a backlash against religious bigotry. They bring it on themselves then play the victim card after the fact, hypocrites all of them.

10. What a sanctimonious arse.
    Refusing gay weddings is one thing, but refusing gay funerals?
    And now he wants forgiveness? He evidently thinks LGBT people are second class and undeserving of basic equality.
    So lesbians aren’t good enough to be buried with dignity, but they’re still useful when it comes to salving his guilty concience?
    Tell him to go to hell.

11. douglas in canada 16 May 2012, 2:39pm

If he said, “I’m sorry, I have made an error and I wish to change my ways,” then went on to say that he will gladly and eagerly demonstrate that he has changed both his understanding and his approach, by performing gay marriages, I would be more accepting of his statement.

Many of us DO go through conversions, where we have spent part of our lives as bigots, then see that that was wrong, and we make the change. But I haven’t seen enough information about this guy to see if this is what has happened.

If it’s only “regret”, it sounds more like he’s just trying to ‘fight the heat’ from those around him.

1. He’s still against same sex marriage… Sadly…

12. Wow, what a great Christian he is – do the complete opposite to Christian teaching.

People like this vicar make me sick.

13. This isn’t really a “mistake” though, is it? It was vicious and deliberate. For someone in the position of regularly dealing with the bereaved to make this kind of decision shows more than just insensitivity. He’s nasty. Let’s see now how his contrition manifests itself.

14. This story needs more information. Was the woman granted a funeral? If so, who performed it? As I understand the Danish Church, it is a “folk church” to which all Danes are members. There is no requirement to be a heterosexual to be member of the Church of Denmark. Most Danes go to Church only to be christened, married, and buried. A vicar may have the power to refuse to conduct burials (just as they will have the power to refuse to marry gay couples), but the Church cannot refuse to bury people (or to marry people if the new law goes into effect). If a vicar refuses to bury someone, he has the responsibility to find another vicar who will. Was that done in this case? If not, there should be hell to pay and the vicar should be fired.

1. She was buried by another priest. Found by the family, as far as I know.
      Not all Danes are members of the church but many are. You’re only a member if you’re christened and you are free to stop being a member whenever you feel like it.
      I don’t know if they’re allowed to refuse burying people, but the family complained to his boss. That’s why he “regretted” it…

15. Robert in S. Kensington 16 May 2012, 3:01pm

Disgusting and anti-christian. I would NEVER accept this man’s apology, never. Too little too late.

16. Shake Spear 16 May 2012, 3:22pm

In the long run, this may not be a bad thing. Anything that encourages people turning towards – and people starting up – humanist funeral services is to be welcomed.

17. The more and more I read on this topic it’s become evident that social-conservatives can’t function without rules to make their every decision – “if this rule applies to this wedding it must apply to this death.”

I feel sorry for them that they don’t instinctively know the right thing to do, even when the two people are grieving infront of them. It’s like some metal disability.

18. From Homotropolis:
    “A Danish Professor in Church Law, Lisbet Christoffersen, calls the decision taken by the priest unlawful. “It is just not legal to refuse to bury a member of the church,” Lisbet says to DR News, “and it makes no difference that the priest has made a mistake”. The Danish National Organisation for gay men, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered persons, LGBT Denmark, is appalled by the incident: “We are completely shocked by it. It is illegal and obscene. He has no right to make such a decision,” George Hinge from LGBT Denmark says. “The Bishop needs to reprimand the priest in question and at the same time impress upon every minister in the Danish church that discrimination is not accepted,”. The Bishop of Aalborg, the city in which the priest resides, has now asked the priest for a written explanation and will then decide what measures need to be taken. “There is debate these days that priests can refuse to marry gay couples but it has nothing to with funerals”

19. silly, stupid, sad man!!! How thoroughly UNchristian!!!

20. Sorry isn’t good enough.

21. That There Other David 16 May 2012, 9:31pm

He is an evil man who needs to take a damn good look at himself.

22. Vicar? I don’t think so! Rather Christian Viper!

23. I’m ready to start an online petition demanding that Jesus move up the date of the rapture so that we can be rid of these hateful Christians as soon as possible.

Maybe THEN we will have Peace on Earth and Goodwill toward Mankind!

24. So, once you’re dead, it’s ok to be gay. Bit like the gay character in a movie or book that has a tragic end.

25. Another misguided man who is anti-Christ

26. John Richards 17 May 2012, 6:20am

I’m trying to make sense of this. He won’t perform same-sex weddings because he doesn’t believe in gay marriage; and he won’t perform gay funerals because… He doesn’t believe in gay death?

27. GingerlyColors 17 May 2012, 6:54am

It is unfortunate that even the most progressive countries have their share of idiots, bigots and religious fundamentalists. I hope that the Danish Courts come down hard on that vicar.

28. If he can’t marry or bury an LGBT person, shouldn’t he stop baptism of children as they haven’t had the opportunity to realise what their sexuality is?

29. What a complete moron. He obviously can’t call himself a Christian or a Man Of God as he apparently doesn’t know what that means. Did Jesus not teach Love, Forgiveness, Acceptance and Understanding. That’s what the Book Of God says yet these people have no clue. They are Judgemental (against God’s teachings) Hate Filled (Against God’s teachings) Money Grabbing a$$holes. I am so sick of the Church and all their bull$hit. It is time the Government classed these people and their Church as terrorists as that is basically what they are. They are never done telling their flock how ‘evil’ Gays are. Basically sanctioning discrimination and attack on a vulnerable minority. What a complete joke. Maybe it’s time for mass demonstrations like the Civil Rights movement of the 60’s to make a return. Hopefully then someone will take notice and realise we are people too.

30. Credit to the daughter for seeing the apology for what it was.