Will Smith comes out for marriage for gay couples to support Obama

1. Thank You Will Smith

I knew once one or two major celebs began supporting the civil right of marriage for same sex couples that they would begin queuing up to back us.

Can’t wait to see who is next

1. Viscount Bath 16 May 2012, 1:37am

He was one of the early stars to play a gay role in Six Degrees of Separation, though he was not so massively famous then.

2. Jay Z said these things, not Will Smith. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZsItunLZDU

2. Charles Decker 15 May 2012, 8:23pm

Thank you Will Smith. Great Actor and truly a Star.

3. Ivor Putnam 15 May 2012, 8:41pm

I always liked will Smith…now I really like him. x

4. theGentleWarrior 15 May 2012, 9:03pm

Another one in the bag( of support).

5. As a black actor his voice on this matter is most welcome!

6. It would be even more impressive if one of his first starring film roles, as a gay con-man in Six Degrees of Separation, wasn’t routinely airbrushed out of his CV.

But actually, that’s by the by – good for him for speaking out.

1. I wasn’t aware that actors of Mr Smith’s calibre send off CVs in order to get roles :-/

1. Are CVs only used for job applications? Well, ‘summary of experience’ or ‘actor’s bio’ then if you prefer.

2. Viscount Bath 16 May 2012, 1:39am

Rubbish, who is going to forget that.

1. Well, we might not, but try and find out if it’s ever mentioned in the lists of films he’s starred in, in interviews and so forth – you may be surprised to note how it appears to have vanished.

3. The Halcyon 16 May 2012, 11:12am

It wasn’t so much that it was air-brushed but substantive re-written at his behest because he was extremely “uncomfortable” about the fact his character was gay.

1. and the kissing of his male co-stars was set up so no lip action could be seen – but everyone is entitled to grow and broaden in intellect and tolerance – even an actor.

7. “Men in Black 3 star Will Smith has said that the debate about WHETHER gay couples can marry is all about “about semantics”.”
    But otherwise, thank you to Will Smith

8. Robert in S. Kensington 15 May 2012, 9:59pm

Thanks, Will Smith, great news! Now how about more of our big name celebrities coming out in support? Where are they?

1. Viscount Bath 16 May 2012, 1:40am

In Hollywood probably.

9. friday jones 15 May 2012, 10:37pm

The Prince is indeed Fresh today.

10. That There Other David 15 May 2012, 11:07pm

“Will” he be in London for the upcoming MIB3 premiere? Maybe thanking him in person in front of the cameras on the red carpet would be a nice bit of publicity :)

11. Considering Will Smith himself is in the closet I can see why he would support gay marriage.

You can have all the stars coming out for gay marriage but unless the Defensive Marriage Act is changed it means nothing.
    I am married in NY but if I need to move to PA am not.

1. Viscount Bath 16 May 2012, 1:44am

Bit of a non sequitur there.

12. Lets try this another way

Unless the Defensive Marriage Act is
    over turned it will not matter what star
    supports gay marriage.
    I am married in the state of NY but in
    not PA or any of the other 45 states
    that do not allow gay marriage

1. Viscount Bath 16 May 2012, 1:46am

I’m not American, but even I know it’s the Defense (sic) OF Marriage Act.

1. Mind you, Defensive Marriage is probably exactly what the anti-equal-marriage brigade would advocate. :-)

13. Hodge Podge 16 May 2012, 1:14am

This gives me a bit more of an excuse to go and spend money on Men in Black 3

1. Viscount Bath 16 May 2012, 1:47am

Don’t splash out all at once.

14. I’m a bit surprised of him supporting gay marriage, I’ve always thought he’s kinda closed-minded, whatever.

15. God Bless Will for stepping up to support freedom and equality in America, that is what Will’s religion Scientology is truly all about, freedom, freedom to be who you are. Thank you Will for helping LGBT people win the right to get married to the ones they love. God loves us all.

1. If God loves us all, why does he need help to establish equal marriage?

16. Good on Will Smith.

Another great actor supporting us

17. I’m pretty sure Jay Z said these exact same words in this youtube video I’m liking.

1. LINK

18. Will has always struck me as a very intelligent human being. This just proves my point.

19. Will has finally made me laugh! Not a great fan of his films but now a great fan of his thoughts!

20. So by the Family Institutes reckoning Will Smith must be Gay lol. Love you Will and thanks for the support.

21. Gay activist Paul Mitchell 16 May 2012, 9:10am

Always been a fan of will smith, well done mate. Not all black people oppose gay marriage!

1. Yeay two black Americans support our fight for equality – what’s your point?

1. 3, not counting Oprah.

22. Is this the same Will Smith who’s been hiding in the closet for most of his ‘career’? Please, we don’t hypocrites as supporters.

1. Yeah, ‘course, because according to you every single male actor in the history of the world is or was gay or bi.

Grow up.

2. Your evidence of Will Smith being in the closet is?

1. Stu, jafuf believes that in his ‘career’ (the inverted commas are his) as an Ack Tor in the US he’s never come across a male actor who isn’t bi or gay, therefore all male actors everywhere must be gay/bi too. Anyone else’s evidence to the contrary is ignored.

1. Ah so its speculation on the part of jafuf.

;-)

1. For me the important word in that headline is rumours!

;-)

1. Robert in S. Kensington 16 May 2012, 3:03pm

Yes, Stu, all speculation and sensationalism.

How do you insert emoticons (smileys) in these posts? I don’t see any provision for that on my Pink News homepage?

2. I type my smileys and they appear.

eg ;-) (semi colon, hyphen closed bracket)

23. Thank you mr Smith!

One question however; if these recently “outed” celebrities have believed marriage equality to be a good thing from the start; why haven’t they spoken sooner?

24. Another reason to love Will Smith! Thank you Will :)