Portsmouth police crack down on homophobic abuse from passing cars

1. That There Other David 15 May 2012, 2:26pm

I used to live in Hampshire and found it the most uninspiring, dull, and downright miserable place in the country. The people doing this are probably only doing so because they do genuinely have nothing better to do. Kudos to Hampshire Police for stationing officers in a way to deter the offences, but really Hampshire needs to sort itself out.

1. I completley agree, im living there now and counting the days till i can leave for uni. At least its a bit of a step in the right direction xx

2. This has happened to myself and friends, wherever we’ve been. Best of luck to the police clamping down on it

3. Where I do think this should be tackled, women are subjected to this sort of car and street harassment every day, whether they be gay, straight or bi. Very little is done to tackle it. Perhaps a general crackdown on street and car harassment should be proposed instead.

4. Good to see Hampshire police taking a proactive stance to try and support their LGBT citizens.

5. What a massive waste of police resources. So someone shouted at you from a passing car, big whoop. People need to toughen up, we don’t need this police state nonsense.

1. So the police should pick and choose which laws to enforce and should ignore concerns that are raised with them?

1. Spanner1960 15 May 2012, 6:44pm

Get some bloody priorities.

1. So stopping anti social behaviour escalating is not a priority?

Chief Constables and Police Authorities develop policing plans taking into account their experience of issues in their localities and what the public are telling them. In the case of Hampshire their plan states that “We will make explicit links between the reduction of anti-social behaviour and protecting repeat victims.”. They also state that they recognise that repeated anti social behaviour that is unchallenged can lead to more serious offending and that preventing crime is an important aspect of their work.

I agree with their approach.

Perhaps you feel anti-social behaviour is acceptable and tolerable – I do not.

1. Spanner1960 15 May 2012, 7:48pm

No it isn’t.
            How about stopping burglaries, violent assaults, rapes, stabbings and murders?

2. Is it a choice about dealing with one or the other?

Uniform response police rarely deal with murders or rapes (other than initial emergency response) and are predominantly there as first contact and deterrent/prevention duties.

Its not deal with serious crime or anti social behaviour – the police are tasked with doing both.

2. Because if you don’t stop it, it escalates.

Frankly this has happened to me twice (in the North) once was a gang of lads slowing down to scream abuse and again was an opened Coke can thrown at my girlfriend and I from a speeding car.

So how about instead of working up to a place where people have legitimate cause for fear, we nip it in the bloody bud. How does that sound?

6. Because we’re all helpless little kittens and we need extra special cotton wool treatment from the nice policemen.

1. Because some police officers recognise the need to prevent anti social behaviour being seen as acceptable and deviating into worse conduct.

1. Spanner1960 15 May 2012, 7:50pm

And some police officers are unwilling to take the bull by the horns and start giving some of these little bastards a good kicking.

1. Because the law prohibits it.

1. SinnySinSins 15 May 2012, 8:40pm

And it’s very wrong.

2. It is NEVER justifiable for those enforcing the law to use brutality in doing so.

Many times force is justifiable e.g. when some is resisting a legitimate arrest.

Giving someone a “good kicking” is torture and wrong.

2. Yes, because police brutality sets such a good example, doesn’t it?

1. NEVER sets a good example.

2. What would you do? Run after the car, drag them out then smash their heads in? You must be really tough. I bet you roar like a big lion instead of a a little kitten. Or would you just ignore it and pretent it didn’t happen? Stupid moron. No ones asking for cotton wool treatment. Just the right to be able to have a drink outside a pub without some idiots, who also think they’re tough lions like you, driving past and screaming abuse.

7. Suddenly Last Bummer 15 May 2012, 5:04pm

How brave would these guys be if they weren’t in the safety of a group and a speeding car. The usual cowards.

8. Actually, I’ve often wondered: is homophobic verbal abuse illegal in Britain? No threat of physical violence, just verbal abuse.

1. Spanner1960 15 May 2012, 6:47pm

Of course it is. There are numerous laws that cover it.

2. Depending on the context would depend which law was invked but yes homophobic verbal abuse is a criminal offence.

9. Spanner1960 15 May 2012, 6:43pm

Well it is Portsmouth.
    I think complaining about the odd “Hello Sailor” is being a bit off. ;)

1. If only that was all it was!

2. GingerlyColors 16 May 2012, 7:37am

It will be a great idea to press-gang homophobic people into the Navy!

10. GulliverUK 15 May 2012, 7:32pm

What a change from 20 years ago when I was outside the Colherne and the people shouting homophobic abuse were dressed in uniform and sitting in their panda car. This is certainly progress. :)

11. SinnySinSins 15 May 2012, 8:39pm

This has happened to me in my home town when I was standing with my brother.
    I was amused more than anything.

12. Katie Kool-eyes 15 May 2012, 9:07pm

I for one am glad Hampshire police are taking this step in the right direction. Living in p/mouth myself and being trans, this happens quite often (especially at traffic lights).

It can be intimidating at times, especially when you’re on your own and there is a car full of people (despite the seriousness of this, I am imagining a clown car right now lol)

I say keep up the good work Hampshire police force. :)

1. Hampshire Constabulary 16 May 2012, 4:37pm

Hi Katie, thanks for the comment. You can report these incidents on 101 or 999 if they’ve just happened.

1. To Hants Police

Well done on your taking action on homophobia – and for being seen to take action!

13. Lady Tanya 16 May 2012, 1:41am

Nick if that had been assholes shouting out the N word or black bastard or the Muslim word, then you can bet people would be in uproar over it. But as it the LGBT you say Nick get over it. Well if it’s not ok to shout out raciest names then it’s not ok to shout out homophobic or Transphobic remarks.
    There is so much HATE in this world. Dose it really matter what sex a man or woman chooses to love. Or like me and other Transsexuals choose to change there sex as it is the only way some of us can go
    One day soon I hope we can all get on in this world, we only have one world and one short life isn’t better to get on with one another, than killing people just because they are Lesbian Gay Bi and Transsexual

1. GingerlyColors 16 May 2012, 7:34am

If they didn’t have gay people to hate, they will hate somebody else instead. If they run out of people to hate they will start hating themselves.

1. Indeed. The `behind the steering wheel warrior` is just a tosser imho. It`s Portsmouth – just a pocket of rage, hate and anger; if I couldn`t live in the nicer bit (Southsea) I think I would have left a long time ago. A good friend of mine once said, `Don`t let the bastards get you down!` :)

Best Wishes and Hugs to all the LGBT community. :)

14. GingerlyColors 16 May 2012, 7:32am

People who behave like that should have their cars crushed. Then hopefully next time they decide to shout abuse at the gay community they will do it on foot and hope they can run like Usain Bolt rather than doing it from the safety of their cars. Cowards.

15. “Today’s launch of the Reform Section 5 campaign will increase the pressure on Home Secretary Theresa May to amend the 1986 Public Order Act. (from Peter Tatchell).”
    (got mine in an email this morning).

I’m a big fan of his efforts on our behalf, but this concerns me greatly.

Here; http://www.reformsection5.org.uk/ under supporters it’s mostly people we wouldn’t even shake hands with. Under the “In Parliament” part, most of those MPs are conservatives, and of the most homophobic kind. It leaves me deeply suspicious of their motives and worried that homophobic “abuse” might then not get dealt with correctly.

Surely, case law adds to the interpretation of parliamentary act and some of the stupid prosecutions would no longer happen. What Peter wrote is now more clear than previously but I’m still pretty unconvinced that this is the right path.

I believe there was a PN article on this some time ago

1. I think it might have been an article I wrote that you meant, Gulliver

;-)

1. That could have been the one. As you say it is a complex issue. But I’m incredibly concerned at anything which gives the right-wing fundamentalist bigots any sort of green light to abuse people on the streets – saying someone is ‘going to hell’ causes alarm and distress, and the protection from that should never be outlawed, especially as the scripture backup for that is unclear and almost certainly misinterpreted – by accident, or more likely deliberately. In particular, young people must be protected from these dangerous beliefs at a time when they are very vulnerable and unsupportive messages can potentially damage them for life. We were all young once – we know what it can be like.

1. It is a complex issue and I tend to sit on the side of the current law already provides protections both to those harassed, distressed or alarmed by certain verbal actions or behaviour Equally, the justice process protects freedom of speech and prevents prosecution or makes findings of not guilty.

I believe some of those seeking a change in the law are motivated by a mendacious desire to seek to harass, and promote insidious incitement of hatred.