Letter: LGBT media urge responses to ‘historic’ equal marriage consultation

1. Already submitted my response.

Its important that every LGBT person also responds.

Its also imperative that all those who value equal rights do all they can to ensure MPS and government are aware of the need for equal marriage.

2. A youGov poll out this week shows that 51% people think that the govt SHOULD press ahead with a SS marriage policy, opposed to 35% think they shoudn’t.

Let’s hope that message is getting thru to the govt and isn’t drowned out by the noise from the current 30 odd MPs opposed to it.

3. Robert in S. Kensington 15 May 2012, 1:15pm

john, the C4EM petition hasn’t really generated many signatures, just over 55,000. I would suspect those who signed the C4M petition have also signed the government consultation not in favour. What about people who don’t have a computer? How many people have those 29 Out4Marriage videos reached I wonder? They should have been aired on some of the t.v. channels. I feel very uneasy as to the outcome of this consultation. We’re getting very little positive media coverage which has been drowned out by the opposition.

1. I feel very strongly that the consultation will bring equal marriage and that some of the media has been extremely supportive.

This glass is half empty or woe is us attitude is not going to help us at all.

2. The C4M petition is well directed to get as many votes as possible.

I’m not quite sure the C4EM is as well directed perhaps. I passed the website onto my Greens councillor today and she was quite surprised that there was a petition out there to sign. All the parties, Greens included, support SS marriage but why don’t the grass roots people know about this petition.

I think the C4EM petition needs to reach outside the LGBT media and orgs to get the numbers on board and student unions, trade unions and party groups are a good way of doing that.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 15 May 2012, 3:14pm

Exactly right. I contacted James Lattimore and Conor Marron about that very topic a few weeks ago. It certainly explains why C4EM’s is dismally low. I don’t see any chance of it getting much more than the 55,000+ if it ends on June 14. It’s too late.

1. But not too late to secure equal marriage – which isn’t about the size of petitions or percentages in a poll. Its about fairness, equality and hearts and minds.

4. GulliverUK 15 May 2012, 1:52pm

If people aren’t sure what to write, Peter Tatchell has advice here;

You can also start filling in the response then quite part way through and they will sent you a link so you can pick up where you left off.

The most important thing is simply to put in a response saying YES to equal rights.

5. Survey completed and message shared. I hope everyone completes this survey in support as it is an important human rights issue for all people not just the LGBT community. Everyone should have access to the SAME rights irrespective of gender, sexuality or sexual orientation.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 15 May 2012, 3:17pm

I second that. There are of course a number of people who don’t have access to a computer. I wonder how they will be able to sign it?

6. Why can’t all gay bars and clubs set up a booth with a computer and an assistant for anyone who needs help completing a submission to the consultation.
    The opposition have churches we have bars and clubs, let’s utilise them and get them working for us.

1. Great idea!

I shall mention it to my local manager when I am there tomorrow night – perhaps other PN readers can do the same with their local!

2. because the consultation makes it so that you can only answer it once from your computer. Any attempt to do it a second time even with another person automatically fails. A step which C4M conveniently forgot to do on their petition.

1. A good point well made.

Doesn’t stop bars putting up posters promoting the consultation website though.

2. So how about organising the same thing for signing the Coalition for Equal Marriage petition?

That the only way to respond to the consultation is on-line creates a problem for people who don’t have their own personal computer, or for those who share a computer or use the one at the local library if anyone else has already made a submission to the consultation previously on it.

3. Christian Concern has prepared a consultation guide and an online form on their website that submits consultation answers directly to the Government. The form should take approximately 5 minutes. Users will then have an option to send their answers directly to their local MP. apparently,
        why doesn’t Pink News check it out and have something similar?

7. While this is a good move, I’m disappointed that a similar move wasn’t taken during the Scottish consultation – which was asking if and not how like the English/Welsh consultation, so you could argue that responding to the Scottish one was even more important. I know the media is London-based but please remember your readers in Scotland want equal rights too.

1. BennieM

To be fair I think PN did a great deal of campaigning re the Scottish consultation, too.

1. They’ve reported the Scottish Consultation and any developments very well all along, but did they ever urge readers to respond to it? I can’t remember PN doing so off the top of my head, never mind joining forces with the other main LGBT media to do so.

Remember, the situation in Scotland is still more uncertain that it is in England/Wales. The UK government has said right from the start that marriage equality was going to happen and the consultation was about how to do it.

In Scotland is has always been if it should happen and the Scot Gov have still to make their decision.

So marriage equality progress in England/Wales had an advantage over marriage equality in Scotland right from the start yet the English/Welsh situation tends to be given more importance by the media, and not just the LGBT media, all the media.

I’m just frustrated, and worried, that we’re still waiting to hear if it’s going to go ahead in Scotland and I won’t be able to relax until I know for sure!

1. I believe equal marriage will happen in England, Scotland and Wales.

In terms of PN coverage they have ran stories on the Scottish consultation over 20 times and given details as to how to contribute to the consultation.

There has also been active debate on the subject in the comments – which we have both been part of.

1. @ Stu

I don’t disagree with what you say, I also think there will be equal marriage in Scotland, and then a wee bit later in England & Wales. But there is still the chance it won’t happen at all, no matter how small, especially in Scotland where the Gov has still to make their decision. At least the UK Gov has said they intend to do it, although I realise that’s not a cast-iron guarantee that it will go ahead – but the Scot Gov haven’t even gone that far.

I just feel annoyed that Scotland is often overlooked in all matters, not just LGBT matters. For example, this joint statement for marriage equality in England/Wales was a very good idea but why did nobody at any of these media outlets think to do it when the Scottish consultation was still open?

Maybe it’s just a (deep fried) chip on my shoulder, but feeling left out like this is often par for the course in Scotland!

2. That There Other David 15 May 2012, 3:21pm

The recent survey shows that the Scots are leading the way for marriage equality. The argument north of the border is all but won. You guys will be hosting marriage ceremonies before we are.

1. I hope you’re right, but a survey showing more people in Scotland agree with marriage equality than against it doesn’t mean the Scot Gov will decide to go ahead with it. At the end of the day, it will be Alex Salmond and Nicola Sturgeon and the other SNP ministers and officials who will decide wether to bring forward the legislation.

If pushed, I’d say that I think it will happen, but it’s still not 100% certain and like I said in a previous post, until I hear Nicola Sturgeon say that it is, I won’t be able to fully relax over this issue.

2. @That There Other David

I would not be surprised if Scotland leads the way on equal marriage.

1. @Stu

I really, really hope you’re right! I tend to agree with you but I just can’t bring myself to believe it will definitely happen until I hear it from the Scot Gov! These next few weeks of waiting for their announcement are going to be torture!

8. Paddyswurds 15 May 2012, 3:46pm

How exactly as we have no idea what this so called consultation entails, where it is being held and who are the inquisitors and how many or who has been consulted yet. Is it a coven of blue haired WI ladies somewhere in the home counties, is it self appointed jurists in town halls up and down the country, who is consulted, Anglican Vicars, RC priests out on parole from their prison sentence for paedophilia of the nations children, retired and bewildered judges or defrocked and retired bishops sitting somewhere in a quiet corner of Cornwall. Where exactly, we would all like to know so we can give evidence and show that we are also human beings and deserve our rights without a FU*K*NG CONSULTATION!!!!

1. Paddyswurds

Try reading the article.

Which includes this line:

““You can take part in the consultation online here: http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publications/about-us/consultations/equal-civil-marriage/”

9. GulliverUK 15 May 2012, 4:15pm

If you are unsure what to say in the boxes see the link I provided from Peter Tatchell, and there is also the LibDem web site here;
    which will give more info.

BUT, ultimately, it’s quite unlikely they are going to read through all the comments – the really big thing will be an indication of numbers – so just signing the form and saying YES to equal rights is important.

You can just copy and paste the comments from Peter Tatchell’s web site in, or from the LibDems.

1. GulliverUK 15 May 2012, 4:25pm

Also, I had another thought some days ago. What about gaydar? Could they send out an email to all members? Who else has long lists of emails who could also get the message out? If the Labour party and LibDems are strongly in favour of this they could send one out as part of their newsletters. LGBT forums, youth and other support groups. Businesses like Clone Zone, etc., could easily include a note about it in a newsletter. With 4 weeks to go there needs to a massive push to get the message out to anyone who doesn’t know how to complete the consultation, and where to sign petitions, etc. The petition itself is slightly unwieldy and not incredibly well laid out – perhaps a step-by-step, page-by-page, guide would help. You can even just write to them, or even email them at equalcivilmarriage@geo.gsi.gov.uk

10. Gosh, that took me a while.

In the end, I think I agree with Peter Tatchell. Extend both civil marriage and marriage in a religious setting to same-sex couples ASAP while extending civil partnerships to straight couples.

Everybody’s happy. (I hope)

11. I’m posting this again as I’d like it to be seen.
    why doesn’t Pink News check it out and have something similar?

12. Christian Concern
    (“The Government is proposing to redefine marriage to allow same sex couples to ‘marry.’ It has launched a consultation to collect views on this proposed policy. We hope as many Christians as possible will respond and voice their concern.

Please respond using these pages which will enable you to respond directly and easily to the Consultation.
    First we’ll ask for your personal details: these will be used to enable us to prepare a response on your behalf.
    We will then present you with the relevant questions from the Consultation (seven of the sixteen) and suggested answers. You can review our full standard submission here.
    You will have the opportunity to edit each answer and personalise it using the online facility.
    At the end of the process you can review the email prepared with your response to the Consultation and then, if you are happy, you can send it.

If you choose to use our standard answers, the whole process should take around five minutes.”)