Church of Ireland will discuss marriage motion and ‘hurt and injury’ to gays this week

1. THey will discuss the ‘hurt and injury’ felt by gay people as a result of the actions taken by those within the denomination in addition to a motion affirming its view that gays should not be allowed to marry.”

Pretty bl@@dy pointless exercise then.

“Sorry we hurt you, and PS.excuse us whilst we hurt you again”

2. For as long as they keep trotting out the same old sanctimonious “hate the sin love the sinner” party line in relation to sexual orientation, they might as well forget the half-assed apology.
    My sexual orientation isn’t a sin for them to forgive.
    My marital status shouldn’t make any impact on their lives.
    When they get that through their heads maybe we’ll get a dialogue going. I won’t be holding my breath.

3. We feel your pain! But we must continue to administer some more.

Is that a bit like the confessional, where you confess your sins, feel better for doing so, and are set up to commit some more?

4. Dr Robin Guthrie 10 May 2012, 3:38pm

I am NOT a Catholic.

I am NOT a Christian.

Marriage is NOT owned by any religion.

We are requesting CIVIL marriage.

Therefore what the F does it have to do with these people.

Go genuflect in front of your deity and leave the rest of us alone,

1. Genuflection in the Church of Ireland…You’re funny.

5. You feel my pain? Then stop being close minded bigots and start accepting my sexuality, and allow me to have marriage and rights!

I don’t see you trying to stop people who had sex before marraige from marrying!

I can’t stand the “hate the sin, love the sinner” mentality. If you hate a part of me that’s important to me, then you hate me.

Listen, you do NOT own marriage. “Ireland’s constitution states that the state may not endorse any particular religion and guarantees freedom of
    religion.” Therefore CIVIL marriage is NONE of your business (and religious marriage should be up to the individual clergy/building) and doesn’t affect you.

1. I also highly doubt they’ll stop being bullies, spreading lies, and driving people to the point of suicide

1. “I also highly doubt they’ll stop being bullies, spreading lies, and driving people to the point of suicide”

The same could be said about your disgusting persecution of trans people.

How do you not see your own hypocrisy? You must be incredibly stupid.

2. Well, I’m just speaking the truth. If they don’t like it, they shouldn’t be trans.

6. What is the point of apologising in one breath, and then telling us we’re not good enough in the next? Obviously they are only apologising in order to try and save face, not because they actually mean it.

1. That’s religion for you!

7. A very wise Christian man once told me that words mean more if they are evidenced by actions.

So, whilst it is entirely true that the Church of Ireland (and other denominations) have a great deal to apologise for – then those apologies can only be seen to be honest, full of integrity and honourable IF they clearly show both an intention to change and to completely stop treating LGBT people as subhuman.

Some denominations do not treat gay people as unequal. They deserve much more respect than “crocodile tears” apologies with no intention of changing attitudes of hatred.

8. Sorry we were so mean to you, but you’re still second class citizens.

The Church of Ireland, like the Roman Catholic Church, is a bona fide homophobic hate organization trying to hide behind an unacceptable and patronizing apology.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 10 May 2012, 6:13pm

Amazing how they use the Leviticus verse to denigrate and vilify gay people, yet they choose to ignore hundreds of derogatory references almost all affecting heterosexuals, one of which is stoning women to death for adultery, condoned in the old testament and still practiced today in some islamic communities in the middle and far east.

1. Some also cite Sodom and Gomorrah. A critical analysis of which would certainly demonstrate the distinct realism of such a story. And then the rest cite St. Paul.
        However, you yourself have mentioned adultery. As far as I know it is mentioned more often in the bible (including in Leviticus and Paul’s letters) than homosexual acts. And yet, did Jesus not stop the adulterer from being stoned. If that is the case then surely his love and hence the love of all Christians should extend to homosexuals as well.

1. (By the way, just in case I risk offending anyone, I was being sarcastic about Sodom and Gomorrah :P it’s completely unbelievable)

2. For those interested in things biblical and homosexual then this is worth a watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezQjNJUSraY&feature=share

9. Michael Carchrie Campbell 10 May 2012, 5:33pm

The motions have been withdrawn and not passed at the General Synod today. Further information can be seen about an Open Letter from LGBT members of the Church of Ireland at http://8aNoWay.com/

1. This post has to do with sexual orientation and same sex marriage so T is irrelevant

1. Lumi whilst it’s understandable given your undeniable transphobia I’d like to make it clear that same sex marriage is a T issue as well.

When a married man or woman make the decision to transition and have the support of their husband/wife and they wish to remain married then that would become a same sex marriage(under equal marriage). So T are very much part of the equal marriage debate

2. It has nothing to do with transgenderism itself. It has to do with orientation. Just because some trans people are LGB it doesn’t make it a trans issue. Just like it’s not a white issue, black issue, woman issue, man issue, etc.

1. Oh, look, the bigot is back with her daft egocentric reason for her being a bigot and expect us all to agree.

Its LGBT – get over it. That not going to change to accommodate your idiocy.

You really are disgusting creature. You should go back to what ever backwater religious you spat out of, as I’ sure they’ll miss a bigot like you.

2. It’s not LGBT and never really will be. “Gender identity” has NOTHING to do with sexual orientation.

10. The Cult of Ireland is clearly as moronically bigotted as the catholic cult and the cult of England.

11. Yes, it’s just silly and patronising stuff. Pythonesque really. I would find their statement comical if they weren’t trying to interfere with civil rights.

Do they know it’s nothing to do with them. It’s a civil matter?

1. Paddyswurds 10 May 2012, 7:20pm

Why are the posts disappearing again?

1. Gremlins

2. The posts are probably not disappearing: your browser is just occasionally serving you a cached version.

Copy the URL at the top of the pop-up, open a new tab, click Paste & Go and click Refresh. Then you should have the latest version.

1. Paddyswurds 11 May 2012, 1:13pm

That is not the problem as I have Firefox set to clear the cache every time it is closed….

12. Paddyswurds 10 May 2012, 7:07pm

The Irish Prime Minister, An Taoseach Enda Kenny, this evening on TV3 News, stated that Marriage Equality is on the cards for Ireland when he was asked about Barak Obamas declaration in favour.
    He said that Marriage Equality was on the list for discussion when the planned Constitutional Conference to upgrade the Constitution takes place later this year….

1. Paddyswurds 10 May 2012, 10:49pm

????

13. Irrational fear of gay marriage= homogameinophobia.

1. homogamophobia*

2. Irrational fear of trans people = transphobia

3. I’m not afraid of trans people, I just disagree with transgenderism. If that makes me a transphobe then I’m proud to be one :)

14. johnny.33308 11 May 2012, 4:29am

Don’t do us any favors! Idiots! Like we care what they think of us? Its far more important what we think of them and their sanctimonious bullsh!t We do not need their foriveness nor their pity…we need for them to leave us alone and stop interfering in our Civil, Secular lives!

15. The Church is dying in Ireland, that is the ‘Good News’!

1. Paddyswurds 11 May 2012, 1:17pm

Religion in general is dying in Ireland. The people have n ow been educated and are realising how much bullsh1t has been fed to them over the years, that plus the paedophilia and abuse by the RCC.