Poll suggests gay voters feel more favourable towards Tories after Cameron’s marriage promises

1. GulliverUK 9 May 2012, 1:23am

The problem is I was sceptical and said around 9 months ago that I believed they would find some excuse to “kick it in to the long grass”, which is exactly what the right-wingers have been claiming. I predicted he would say he tried but find some excuse to drop the proposals. Now, at this point, today, I’ve no idea if he’s really going to go for it, or is just pretending for political gain.

I won’t vote for them because of Section 28, and because I don’t believe they have changed enough, and I want my f—ing rights … first ! They have a lot to prove, and a very bad reputation in the gay community.

I was beginning to believe Cameron had actually pulled it off, changed them, shown he will not tolerate homophobic behaviour by MPs, but we still have a lot of homophobic nonsense spouted by the right-wingers. So right now I don’t know what to believe. I’m leaning back to being highly sceptical. For now, I have to be clear that I only have a choice of Labour, LibDems or Greens.

1. Craig Denney 9 May 2012, 1:35am

Let’s hope the British Government dose not climb down like the Welsh Government has when they finnish their investigation into the C4M petition.

I for one want to see the school and the Catholic Education Service in the dock and if Michael Gove U-turns, then the Tories will U-turn (eventually) on Marriage equality.

2. Staircase2 9 May 2012, 2:56am

…kinda odd that this headline would come out only days after the Conservative massacre at the hand of the Electorate doncha think…?

3. God bless her, you’ve to got love Yvette Cooper haven’t you. The minute all her power has been taken away and she’s on the opposition benches, she’s all for marriage equality, and yet when she was in a position to change it, not a sausage.

4. “Poll suggests gay voters feel more favourable towards Tories after Cameron’s marriage promises”

I think if I was polled last week I might have said the same. I think their behaviour this week after the local elections has reminded me how bad they can be.

I dread to think what the polls now think of the libdems. I still like them but wouldn’t vote for them. They appear to be a total waste of time.

5. I was very optimistic about about a genuine change in the tory approach to equality,their apparent belief in small government, and freedom of the individual–until the back woodsmen and would be theocrats spoke up.

(Some serial divorcees:-)

6. The poll seems to have been taken at the wrong time – before so many of them revealed their true colours and how divided is the Party.

Time will tell whether Cameron kicks against the pricks and pushes this through.

The worrying thing for me is the dubious quality of several of the 2010 intake of new Tory MPs, eg McCartney, Whittaker

Are these people supposed to be the brighest & best of British “youth” or are the just inserts from the Catholic Church or CARE?

7. PS. The tories today in the Queen’s speech, will announce greater freedom to fire employees. Now that’s what the tories really mean by “freedom” perhaps?

8. Well, I remain cautiously welcome of Camerons view on same sex couples marrying.

However, my dampened cynicism that Torys are by nature homophobic has been rewakened in the past week.

With notable exceptions, the Tories remain the nasty party.

1. Craig Denney 9 May 2012, 12:06pm

If you had said on here that the Tories were the nasty party a week ago you would have been shot down in flames.

The mood has switched and no doubt they have now lost the Gay vote and the next election and without it they will loose.

9. I would only trust them with this issue if the did not allow the backbenchers a free vote and they were forced to tow the party line. IT does appear that the is going to be strong opposition to this when the vote comes

1. Robert in S. Kensington 9 May 2012, 2:25pm

Yes, I agree. The more I hear the daily hysterics from the right wing, the less confident I am that it will succeed in a parliamentary vote and that will be of course the fault of the Tories. I predict if that happens, they’ll lose by a huge landslide in 2015, so be it. Nick Clegg ought to pull out now, really draw a line in the sand with the Tory party once and for all, call their bluff. I wouldn’t want to be a backbencher if that plays out which will mean 5 to 10 or more years of Tory isolation. The backbenchers obviously don’t care either, they’re quite prepared to see their party go down in flames for a principle rooted in religious bigotry. I regret ever voting for them, never again.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 9 May 2012, 2:29pm

Those backbenchers will vote en masse to defeat it, no question about it and don’t care if it means defeat for them in 2015. They’re quite prepared to let it happen.

10. If they bring in same sex marriage i will dislike them less but theres far too many things which means i wont vote for them.

Fox hunting being one. For me showing the lack of equality and value they give to life despite the species says more about their moral values than any political spin and pm promises.

11. If the Tories have the balls to get rid of Lord Tebbit and Baroness O’Caithian and all the other ancient Tory homophes in their “promised” HoL reforms and definitely inroduce a marriage equality bil in next yr’s Queen’s speech after a proper reform of the HoL then I might re-asses what I currently think of them.

Even if they persuade me that they only have a small hard core bunch of homopbes left in the commons, if they resist getting rid of their homophobic peers then I doubt they’ve seriously changed.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 9 May 2012, 2:27pm

Those types never change, bigotry is wired in their DNA and well all know what the root cause is don’t we? Religion!

12. Craig Nelson 9 May 2012, 10:36am

Yes. Past tense would be better here. David Cameron behaves exactly as he did in his GT interview before the election : “yes, no, maybe; yes you’re right; oh It’s all so complicated; can we stop filming please”

Anyway, at least we now know where we stand.

13. GulliverUK 9 May 2012, 10:56am

Whilst not wanting to speak negatively about Stonewall, I wish someone would produce a complete list of where every MP stands on this issue now, so that we can see empirically if the Tory party has changed. These proposals are LibDem proposals, period. Although Cameron’s Equalities manifesto did say they would look at this, he was on Sky News with Adam Bolton the same day. When Bolton asked him about this he said they were “not planning that” and said that Civil Partnerships had “some of the advantages of marriage. I’m very happy to look at how we can take policy forward”. “Where we are at the moment has dealt with one of the great unfairnesses and we should look to the future cautiously as to whether we can build on that”. I still have it on video. 19:28pm 3rd May 2010. The clarify the question Bolton asked was “It’s been suggested that you would consider renaming or are going to rename Civil Partnerships as Civil Marriages for gay people”.

14. Nobody should vote Labour again until Tony Blair and his cabinet have been tried and sentenced for war crimes. The choice is between the Lib Dems and the Tories, or Greens/SNP if you’re lucky enough to live in a seat where they’re strong.

1. Never gonna happen

1. I think that’s what he means.

15. Robert in S. Kensington 9 May 2012, 2:20pm

I think those gay voters feeling more favourable to the Tories since Cameron’s October speech may diminish as long as the right wing, and there are many among them, persist with their daily rants and nobody in their party is taking them to task. A free vote could easily lead to a defeat for the issue at hand. Why does it take a Labour shadow minister to go after them? Don’t they have any of their own? Cameron ought to step in and show some leadership for a change. I voted for them for the very first time in 2010 and now, over the past few days, I’m beginning to think it’s time to return to the Liberal Democrats. Let’s face it, without them in the coalition, Cameron would never have mentioned equal marriage. It wasn’t their idea in the first place. The Liberal Democrats and the Greens are the only parties who have officially adopted equal marriage as party policy. I doubt very much that the Tories would have done the same had it been voted on. Either way, they’re going to lose.

16. If you are gay and you are becoming more favourable towards the Tories you need your heads examining, quite frankly. Leopards don’t generally change their spots. I’m not some old Trot, incidentally, but quite a reasonable, generous person. But I remember Section 28. It wasn’t that long ago.

1. Dan Filson 9 May 2012, 11:23pm

I remember the 1950s and they were not so long ago either. The fact is that even Tories move n eventually, and the evidence is Cameron’s extraordinary speech (“It is because I am a Conservative that I believe in gay marriage ” or words f that sort). Will he allow a consultation, in which the forces of the bigoted religious right hav mobilised huge numbers of petitioners to oppose it, to sway him back? Some ministers, not just Alan Ducan, were falling in line feeling it save to do so. Now with this thrashing in the local elections, some may backtrack. But I am still hopeful that notwithstanding what the consultation may say in terms of numbers, if the logic of argument is in favour of equal marriage it may yet prevail. Not in this session of Parliament, nor necessarily in this particular Parliament at all. But soon. “There is nothing so strong s n idea whose time as come”!

17. Avalokiteshvara 9 May 2012, 2:51pm

It also distracts us from what senior doctors say is the total demolition and privatisation of the Health Service.

1. Dan Filson 9 May 2012, 11:26pm

It distracts us from lots f things, nt least the horrific unemployment and the desperate need to return to economic growth, but it is possible to walk and chew gum at the same time, so campaigns can co-exist on different issues without the detriment of one to another

18. Hmm… so much for Camerons promises..they did not mention this in the Queens speech..and it is now kicked into the long grass.
    It just will not happen in this parliament with the coalition.
    My Mum always said..”Never trust a tory”…. how correct she was.

1. It never was intended to be in this years Queens Speech.

So whilst I do not trust Tories, my reasoning has nothing to do with the lack of marriage issues being included in the Queens speech this year.

19. Yet another place where the Tories get the fame and the LibDems get the blame.
    I was back in the days of DELGA (now LGBT+ Lib Dems) at the Summer Strategy Conference in 2010 we voted that Equal Marriage should be proposed at the Liverpool Autumn Conference which is the reason that it became Government Policy.