California set to pass a bill to ban ‘conversion therapies’

1. So what two consenting adults do behind closed doors *is* the state’s business after all? Interesting.

1. Homosexuality and bisexuality isn’t just about sex. It’s also a physical, emotional, and romantic attraction.

Claims that sexual orientation can be changed are false. It’s like faith healers making claims about curing diseases etc- it’s wrong but this is even worse because diseases can be cured while orientation can’t (and there’s nothing wrong with it so there’s no need to cure). People who claim to be ex gay are really bisexual or are just denying themselves. Programs like this often lead to depression, guilt, and/or suicide, instilled by homophobic views.

2. This is real easy to get Jean. What two consenting adults do behind closed doors *is* the state’s business if serious harm is inflicted.

Or if you want something to suck on…
      The UN definition of genocide includes “causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of a group.” Though most people think of genocide as mass murder, UN documents present genocide as a continuum of oppression, with social death at one end and mass murder at the other. The ex-gay movement is predominantly an evangelical Christian Right social movement which aims to purge society of homosexuality. Though the original UN definition of genocide did not include social or political groups, the recent International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda established a precedent by broadening the definition of possible genocide victims as any group sharing a common culture.

3. More rabbiting jean?

4. “So what two consenting adults do behind closed doors *is* the state’s business after all? Interesting.”

Someone should send you for conversion therapy, might improve your etiquette and IQ.

5. It is to protect minors, you dumb b!tch.

Yet again not only are you so bloody tedious it is almost painful, but you are so stupid that I am embarrassed for you.

Does it not shame you to be such a putrid cesspit of a person?

6. Robert in S. Kensington 10 May 2012, 12:01pm

It appears to be your business. Why are you always trolling here, prurient interest in the sex lives of gay people perhaps? Did the ex-gay therapy work for you Jean or whoever you are? Didn’t do a good job did it, since you can’t stay away from Pink News. You’re as fraudulent as NARTH that hasn’t had one article printed in the legitimate scientific or medical journals, not one.

7. It’s the state’s business to protect vulnerable children and adult from misguided and downright dangerous church practices.

2. GulliverUK 9 May 2012, 11:20pm

Ahhhhh! I was hoping PN would cover this. I would like to see a law brought in here in the UK along similar lines. I’m sick and tires of religious wingnuts suggesting that I am disordered or confused or simply being defiant against my nature and need to be cured. All the major psychological and medical authorities have said it doesn’t work and is harmful. Shouldn’t we ban things which have no medical proof but which are proved to be harmful? It’s time to restrict this harmful practice. If there is a therapy which needs to be offered it for a) the bigots, so they can get real and b) those who have been harmed by the bigots and need some help to repair their self-esteem.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 10 May 2012, 11:57am

Absolutely. Imagine the squealing from the Christian Institute and others, “abuse of religious freedom”. If anyone is sick, it is them.

3. This is good! Sexual orientation can’t be changed and “gay therapy” is very harmful. It should be illegal nationwide.

4. I support homophobic conversion therapy. People need to become LGB friendly.

1. Then you need it yourself. Help you get over your repulsive transphobia.

2. I’m not homophobic, so I don’t need it. I’ll never get over “transphobia”.

1. “I’ll never get over “transphobia”.”

Indeed, you can’t. Only intelligent people see past their own prejudice. You, my dear, are a fool and a mentally damaged basket case.

2. Wow, you’re pathetic. I’m actually very intelligent. I’m not a fool. I’m not mentally damaged. I’m “prejudiced” against trans people because transgenderism is disgusting, wrong, immoral, and a mental disease that should be treated (not through “changing genders”).

The only mentally damaged person here is you, who is obsessed with commenting on my comments when it’s not going to do anything.

1. Wow, Lumi, YOU are pathetic.

5. OMG, today was a day of thrills for the gay community, North Carolina, Obama endorsing gay marriage, Civil Union Colorado, California gay therapy, the story of Shane … Our very feelings for one day only.

6. We need legislation like this in the UK.

7. So David Pickup thinks that therapists are male and all simply “know” that homosexuality is commonly somehow associated with abuse as a child. Only reference for this wild claim is his own experience. As a therapist myself (of the credible, evidence-based variety), I would like to point out that while surveys do suggest a higher than average incidence of abuse for LGBT peoples, this is not really different than for other groups who are vulnerable and could just as easily be explained by abusive gender stereotyping and heterocentrality. Many opposite sex attracted people have also been abused. these surveys are not conclusive because ongoing homophobia prevent many from coming out, rendering them invisible to these sorts of studies. And any therapist who reaches for the “I should know, it happened to me” variety, unless specifically working as a survivor role model, is to be avoided at all costs for potentially dangerous lack of boundaries. “Corrective therapy” is itself abuse.

1. Jasper Foucault 10 May 2012, 8:55am

I wasn’t abused, neither was my husband. I find it insulting to our parents and families to suggest that we were.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 10 May 2012, 12:02pm

Most of us weren’t abused. I know for sure I wasn’t. I knew as young as 7 that I was gay.

2. David Pickup doesn’t realize that the principles of inference require a sampling size greater than one…

8. Thank God for Senator Ted Lieu who is stopping these insane Christians and their insane Christian psychiatrist who have been getting away with murder of LGBT people for years now using their insane ex gay therapy madness. What a happy day, no ex gay therapy nuts and President Obama comes out for gay marriage. Thank you Jesus.

9. David Pickup of NARTH uses the phrase “worth his salt “, references to salt and saltiness is code word amongst evangelical Christians especially Christian dominionist’s.

Our own Philippa Stroud whose church demonised gays was fond of using the words salty and saltiness.

You’ve all seen what Christian dominionist’s have achieved in Uganda, holocaust conditions for gays.

1. Jasper Foucault 10 May 2012, 8:59am

They all use the same hymn sheet, and maybe just lack imagination. Like that English MP in a recent article, using the American hymn sheet again, not realising it related to arguments where there is no established church.

2. The link between NARTH and the Tavistock Clinic in London is also worrying. Below is a quote about the late Dr Socarides founder of NARTH, explaining how the Tavistock Clinic honoured his work on conversion therapy for gay men.

“Dr. Socarides continues to work with men and women who are deeply troubled about their orientation and want to change. Indeed, Dr. Socarides leads a group of therapists around the world who specialize in dealing with homosexuality. In the spring of 1995, he won the Distinguished Professor award from the Association of Psychoanalytic Psychologists, British Health Service, and lectured on his research findings in London at the Anna Freud Child Development Center, the Portman Clinic, the Tavistock Clinic and before the British Psychoanalytic Society.”

3. code word for what exactly?

10. So there is hope…
    Ted Lieu should be up for an award for this.
    Outstanding 10/10.

11. Robert in S. Kensington 10 May 2012, 11:55am

Hmmm, what about females who are sexually abused by heterosexual males? What about women who are raped? Do the majority of them become lesbians? What an idiot Pickup is.

12. “Any therapist worth his salt knows that homosexual feelings commonly occur in victims as a result of abuses. I ought to know because I was one of those boys.”

Sounds like this man needs to see a therapist a lot more, probably in conjunction with proper medication.

No surprise that religious extremists in NARTH seek out hocus pocus “cures” for their self loathing.

13. David Pickup, speaking for NARTH, said: “Any therapist worth his salt knows that homosexual feelings commonly occur in victims as a result of abuses.

This “therapist” (therapissed is probably more to the mark) is evidently worth only monosodium glutamate, and even then barely.

14. My homosexual feelings come from the fact I’m attracted to women, not because of abuse- I was never sexually abused

15. I am so glad this bill is being pushed. Conversion therapy is as dangerous, if not more so, as this article suggests. The people who push conversion therapy are sick and twisted. Finally something is going right in this country!

16. Dear Mr. Pickup of NARTH,

I googled this for you: http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal

;-),
    Kris

17. Hanford Searl Jr. 13 May 2012, 6:08am

…& ask Willard-MITT-Romney to disavow thee Mormon Church STILL endorsing “electric-shock” therapy for its LGBTQ members! Been going on-FOR-yrs., lots of ruined lives, suicides, lawsuits!!!

18. This is a very important move and long over due.

The only unfortunate thing is that they did not include transsexual as well as homosexual in that, but it is still a major improvement.

Another nail in the coffin of NARTH and the Zucker-Blanchard roadshow.