Indiana: Mother sends son to school with stun gun to confront bullies

1. Stunned!

2. This reminds me of that time a kid was getting bullied so he started learning Karate. He beat the bullies up one day in a fight they had started and then he got suspended because of it. He got suspended for winning a fight he didn’t start.

If a school cannot ensure the safety of every pupil then your going to get situations where pupils ensure their own safety. I’m not advocating that this boy took a weapon into the school but surely it’s common sense that he’s going to do everything possible within his power to keep himself safe.

Was it wrong for him to take a weapon onto school grounds? Yes. Is it his fault he was put in a situation where he felt it necessary? No. Suspend him and the bullies that surrounded him but when they come back to school, sort the real problem; the bullies.

3. Adrian Rainbow. 7 May 2012, 2:02pm

Instead of suspending the boy why don’t they do something to MAKE HIM FEEL HE DOESN’T HAVE TO DEFEND HIMSELF.
    This is all the wrong way around, give him a G18 next time.a

4. Aryugaetu 7 May 2012, 2:21pm

I don’t know about other countries, but in the US, there is a social insanity where the adults believe their children should completely ignore the prevalent gun-totin’, religious-hypocrisy and bullying of their parents and follow a completely different set of rules.

There is a vast difference between being different and anticipating the verbal taunts, as opposed to being sincerely threatened with physical harm.

Verbal bullets deserve a verbal defense, but a true physical threat deserves an equal opposing force to prevent it. One person with a Taser is a rational, relatively safe, defense against the attack of multiple simultaneous people.

I am definitely against weapons of any kind, but when a child’s attempt at obtaining protection from adults fails, he should not be expected to be pummeled as a reward for following a school’s rules. In the US, it is very common to blame the child, rationalizing his death as “he brought it upon himself.”

1. Tasers, the great equalizer.

5. Anti Widdecombe 7 May 2012, 2:57pm

I know it’s wrong, but bloody high five to this mother. I was bullied at school and would love to go back and stun the sh*t out of those kids. The problem with schools (and society) is simple: No concequences. My mum would have belt me had a teacher rung home and complained. I’m not advocating physical punishment… oh wait, yes I am.

6. Honestly, the mum could not be blamed for trying to protect the safety of his son despite by arming him with a weapon. Come to think of it, the bullies could come up with some ‘stunning’ ways to taunt that gay boy. This is what happens when the school could not protect the safety of the students. It is up to the parents do take a stand against bullies.

7. Har Davids 7 May 2012, 4:06pm

The bullies were lucky Darnell did not stand his ground with a real gun as is possible in some states, but I guess India doesn’t allow excessive self-defence.

8. On the other hand you really can’t promote the use of stun guns to protect one self as all that will happen is the bullies will get hold of stun guns. Then begins the cycle, the gays take a real gun, then the bullies bring a real gun.. etc etc. Whilst its disgusting adults have not dealt with this as they should, this kid needs to be expelled otherwise it will provide an exception for other kids gay or straight to take stun guns in to school, and that will make the whole situation extremely bad for everyone involved.

1. Rayne Van-Dunem 7 May 2012, 6:12pm

Needs to be expelled? That’s rather silly, don’t you think?

2. Annoy you massive pussy

3. Punished, perhaps. Expelled, no. The school has failed in its duty of care for things to go this far. It is the school that is at fault for – by their inaction or inneffectual actions – to let a situation develop where there is risk of harm to all concerned. To expel the student in this case would be grossly unfair, since he shouldn’t have been scared for his life in that environment in the first place.

4. Responses here seem a little daft to me. Anyone bringing any type of weapon in to a school should be punished as severely as possible to ensure no one else repeats in the future. Rules are for everyone, and if things are not going well for the kid at the school the mother should NOT use violence as a last resort, she has many other options such as taking their kid to another school or escalating the issue higher. I think the mother should equally be punished. I am all for non-violent protests against schools where for example they refuse a homosexual couple to go to a school prom, but supporting a kid taking a weapon in to school, what is going on here?!

1. No you muppet, read the comments more closely. What I was taking issue with is your draconian “expulsion” proposal. I even started my response with the word “punished” to indicate that this wasn’t something that should be supported.

Violence wasn’t used by the child being bullied, so the premise of your argument renders it invalid on that basis alone.

Balance and fairness in raising young people is absolutely essential. Anything else leads to bullies thinking they can get away with antisocial behaviour or further bad behaviour fuelled by resentment at overly harsh punishment. It can lead to victims becoming disillusioned and themselves becoming antisocial.

And while you are understandably indignant about a (non lethal) weapon being brought into school may I point out that a pencil can be used as a weapon – I taught at a school where a child was stabbed quite badly with one. There were very few mitigating issues and that pupil WAS expelled as a result of the incident.

1. There is a big difference between a pencil and a stun gun, a stun guns only purpose is to inflict pain, where as a pencils main use is, well, as a pencil. If someone stabbed another with a pencil I would expect to see then being handled the same way someone with a stun gun would be.

I still don’t believe using a stun gun is a justified use of force unless your life is endangered. A kid using a stun gun when it’s been raining could have disastrous effects, and I stand by my expulsion comments as being appropriate in this circumstance.

9. GingerlyColors 7 May 2012, 4:17pm

All bullies are cowards and they usually back down if they are confronted. Unfortunately they have to operate in gangs because they cannot take on their victims on their own.
    Somebody suggested that gay pupils should be schooled separately. I disagree. It is the bullies who should be separated from the decent majority of pupils.
    As for taking a weapon into school, could he claim his 2nd Amendment Rights, so dearly upheld by the religious right-wingers in America?
    While right-wingers passionately uphold the right to bear arms, I would like to point out that there is a gay gun lobby in America called the Pink Pistols whose logo is a pink triangle with an above-view of a man firing a gun and the logo, ‘Armed queers don’t get bashed’.

1. Spanner1960 7 May 2012, 4:27pm

To quote a phrase: “If you live by the sword, then you will die by the sword.”

If the kid brings a taser, the bullies will bring knives, if the kid brings a bigger knife, the bullies will bring guns. All you do is escalate the situation. Better to report the situation to the school, and if it doesn’t work, pull your kid out and report them to the education authorities and start legal claims.

1. Agreed. The difficulty comes when the system fails the parents and pupils concerned : it would not be out of character in this part of the world for the individuals handling such complaints to take a bigoted view and rubbish the complaint.9

2. Damn I never agree with you…..but today I do. USA appears entirely mad …..however with a school called arsenal and a mother called Chelsea, maybe this article is not the most credible!

3. bullies are cowards. if you fight back, they run away. reporting them only gets you deeper in trouble.

10. Check it out – someone’s already started a petition to keep him from getting expelled.

(btw, it wasn’t just words, Darnell was being threatened with PHYSICAL violence when he fired the warning shot)

1. Oops, forgot the link: http://t.co/O4jH7Kt6

11. Bill (Scotland) 7 May 2012, 7:26pm

I certainly don’t advocate violence, but my reaction to this is “way to go, Mom!”

This just high-lights that the cowards who were acting like pack animals to attack this boy really ARE cowards – he did not use the stun gun (taser?) on them, he fired it into the air as a warning to stop their threatening behaviour toward him. Bullies don’t like it when their intended victims refuse to be victimised.

I hope sense will prevail and that the bullies are disciplined both by the school authorities (if they don’t know what is going on in their premises, then they should!) and by their own parents who, perhaps, are the real delinquents. It is probably inevitable that the stun-gun toting would-be victim suffers a brief suspension, but he certainly shouldn’t be expelled.

Let’s hope sense (and justice) prevails here.

12. Scott Lovely 7 May 2012, 7:34pm

Why don’t they simply have school uniform. Problem solved, simples.

1. Yeah, except there’s an implication that it’s the boy’s fault.

2. The problem wouldn’t be solved. They would attack him because of his hair, or his mannerisms or anything else they could make fun of. I assume you never have dealt with a bully or you would not have made this comment. They are predators, regardless of their age.

13. Now that is a good mother, mine had guns too and I have to carry a gun with me at all times here in America because I am threatened every day here in America for being an openly gay Christian who knows he was born gay by God and the anti gay Christian hate me and some have have even threatened my life. I totally support the equal playing field rule of having protection in case of attack. Everybody has a God given right to protect them selves from attack from insane anti gay Christian terrorist like the one who kill all of those people in Norway and others.

14. Christopher 8 May 2012, 2:45am

John Wayne and Clint Eastwood would have shot them. Chuck Norris would have beat them up, then shot them. These are American heroes – odd that American society puts these heroes forward but then tells children not to emulate them…

1. Sewer News. 9 May 2012, 5:03pm

John Wayne was strongly opposed to homodeviance

15. I wish all the gay kids who took their own lives due to bullying had this woman as their mother. They’d probably be alive today.

1. Don’t blame the parents. Its always the bullies fault .

1. Sometimes it is the parent’s fault, too!!

16. Great to hear. Well done to this mother. Time to bash back.

17. What a cool mumwho loves her kids. I bet they leave him alone now!

18. Weapons would only work once per bully, once the bully knew, he’ll restrain the victim and resume bullying, only that the bully would have another ‘tool’ to torture the victim.

I would rather have surveillance cams around school, have the kids run into view while being bullied. Only once, accompanied by harsher, i repeat, HARSHER rules against bullying(e.g. i’m talking about months of suspension/expulsion). And to allow kids to apply for restraining orders (e.g. outside of school’s reach), using the surveillance cams as evidence.

Pulling the bullied kid out of school is equivalent to voluntary suspension, of the BULLIED kid.

1. bullies are cowards

19. blame the victim. don’t take responsibility. join the bullying. the usa is getting sicker and sicker and obama is head coward at this point, abetting the worst of the bullies.

20. Well done Mum! If the schools are so ineffectual as to do nothing to stop the bully of our young gay rainbows then the people must. Full marks to her :-)