Gay Tories Brian Coleman and Richard Barnes lose seats to Labour

1. Ho hum

2. Paddyswurds 4 May 2012, 10:13pm

I’m quite sure they would be welcome in the Labour Party queer or not.

1. Dr Robin Guthrie 4 May 2012, 10:17pm

I am NOT queer. I am a perfectly normal part of nature,

What ARE YOU.

And PS. Ever turn up for surgery, Bye,

1. Paddyswurds 4 May 2012, 11:08pm

@Dr Gutherie…
        …..you are aware that we have taken back the power of the word queer and those of us who are secure in our queerness are quite happy with the word. I use it all the time in conversation with gay and straight friends alike and quite enjoy it when the straights squirm….

1. Spanner1960 5 May 2012, 3:30pm

Bullsh|t.
          Much like some blacks claim they have taken back the word “ni**er” as if it were there’s in the first place.
          The term ‘queer’ is derogatory and offensive, no matter who uses it.

1. New Aussie 5 May 2012, 3:44pm

Really, even queer Quakers like me?

2. Paddyswurds 5 May 2012, 12:34pm

@Robin….
        ….”And PS. Ever turn up for surgery, Bye,” Eh?

3. I agree with you Dr. Robin. Queer is not a word I use to describe myself. And the idea of claiming back the word is uneducated. Do you think Obama, or any other educated black person who has any form of dignity about who they are calls himself a ni**er, or any other word that ‘rappers’ say the black community have claimed back for themselves. No. Using queer as a term to describe yourself is derogatory. Paddy does like to use derogatory words to describe others though, not only himself.

2. uneducated transphobic queer.

3. Dr Robin Guthrie 4 May 2012, 10:16pm

Gay. Heterosexual. Irrelevant.

Do any of these grubbers know what they are doing.

Of course they do.

Getting fatter of of the money they are stealing from those who need it and those who provide it.

Only today, I buried my Civil Partners Father in Law in Ayrshire.

It took talks with various council idiots and a bung of £3500 to get it done as the man had no insurance.

Despite having coughed up over £750,000 in his lifetime in tax.

Dead. Nobody cares.

The pencil necks want more.

1. Man. I’ve been through something similar in the past. It’s a clique, but I understand and have been through something like your pain.
      I know this place isn’t a huggy/lovey site on the internet, but as one gay man to another, you have a lot of love aimed in your direction right now.
      Hugs

2. Spanner1960 5 May 2012, 3:31pm

For all our squabbles Robin, sorry to hear of your loss.

4. fantastic news

1. Two gay men lose their seats, fantastic news? Replaced by supporters of Livingstone with his Islamist-coddling, and throwing gay rights to the winds when he realised the Muslim block-vote was bigger than the gay block-vote; even better news?

1. what GLA tories did for gay rights in the first place incl. these two?

5. Paul Scriven, gay former leader of Sheffield city council, loses his council seat. Are you going to bother with that story or just carry on focusing on London?

1. Although I understand your point – and it’s well made and it should be made – this is a story about London.
      Don’t make a point about Sheffield in a story about London. Sheffield is a great enough city that it deserves a story about itself, rather then being piggy-backed on a story about another city.
      I live in London, but – if life allowed me to – I’d love to live in Sheffield. Great city. Great people. A bit cold, though.

1. Thanks, I know what you’re saying about it being an article about London :). But I couldn’t mention it anywhere else because Pink News hasn’t reported other results ( apart from the bigot in Oxford!)

2. roderious 5 May 2012, 9:58pm

Rodney Berman, the openly gay leader of Cardiff city council has also lost his seat, together with most of the openly gay members of the council. No mention of them either

6. Here in Cardiff, at least 5 gay cllrs lost their seat. The new Labour regime will not be supportive of the Cardiff LGBT folk!

1. I didn’t know about this, come on Pink News how about an article about Cardiff!

2. Swansea suffered under the previous local council coalition the lib dems in bed with the likes of BNP and UKIP and other ‘independents’

7. Its been a great day to see the back of Brian Coleman. As a firefighter and not one in London I have witnessed this vile individual set about a single minded vendetta to destroy the service.
    Despite him being a gay mind we saw London Fire Brigade withdraw from Stonewall and as he stated he didn’t believe in the fire service involvement in supporting Nottinghill Carnival or London Pride or particularly this year World Pride in London.
    Yes he is supposedly gay, did he serve our community well, absolutely not, and as to what he tried to do to our emergency fire service, we are all better of without him.

1. You’re not wrong. You don’t have to be a London firefighter to agree with you. All you have to be is a sensible member of the human race. Coleman used to make me ashamed to be gay when he was interviewed on the radio. Glad he’s gone.
      Irrespective of that – thank you for the work you do, Pat Buzz.

1. yes, agreed , great news that coleman is gone, vile piece of filth and another homophobic london gay man, go figure?

1. I don’t believe in silly gratuitious insults but I too am glad that this man and his rather unpleasant politics have been democratically voted out

2. Jock S. Trap 5 May 2012, 9:18am

Have to agree Brian Coleman going is excellent, a nasty, vile man more worthy of the Livingstone/Labour campaign than the Tories.

As with Ken and Brian… Good Riddance!

1. Good to see you back Jock S Trap

Hope you are keeping well. Havent seen you in a while.

1. Jock S. Trap 7 May 2012, 12:33pm

Thanx Stu… only about occasionally… keeping myself busy.

8. Jock S. Trap 5 May 2012, 9:17am

Well Done Boris on winning a second term as London Mayor and finally ending Ken Livingstone’s political career!!!

1. Spanner1960 5 May 2012, 3:34pm

Sadly, he won it on personality, not politics.
      Personally, I would have preferred anyone to win the vote, even UKIP, or dare I say it, the BNP than that odious little weasle Livingstone.

9. “Gay Tories Brian Coleman and Richard Barnes lose seats to Labour”

perhaps the headline should just say Tories lose seats to Labour. Out of interest which new ones are gay and can we now have more labour run councils come out in favour of marriage equality like Thanet council.

After Drax’s, Howarth and Jackson comments about Tories losing becuase of gay marriage I’m beginning to realise again why I continue to have doubts about the Tories. Just wish my council had had an election and got rid of our Tory dominated coucil, by the time we do get an election we would have lost a great deal of our public services with sales of playing fields already on the cards and closure of dumps, libraries etc still in the pipeline.

Stupid arrogant Tories blaming gay marriage on their defeat. They deserve a good kicking, gay or straight.

10. It’s interesting to note that Boris’s results show that he has out-performed the Tories generally.

Seeing that he recently took very swift and effective action to ban the homophobic bus adverts, that’s practical proof that there’s no electoral risk in having gay-friendly policies.

1. Boris took ‘swift action’ only to further his standing in the run up to the election. He has during his last four years in post, pulled support for LGBT events- even those which were self funded, he is on record as being racist and his office is currently being investigated for failing to address issues of safety for london cyclists. As with most Tories, his aims are simple- make money for those with money and bugger the rest of us- except when it suits him to ‘be on our side’. I would much rather have seen a real politition who actually wants to improve London for londoners rather than a career clown like Boris- alas, in this age of personality over substance, Boris has won.

1. @ Jon: “Boris took ‘swift action’ only to further his standing in the run up to the election.”

Exactly ! His swift action DID further his standing, he did far better than Tories generally, and he won. QED.

BTW, as Pink News reported, Boris has promised to re-enter the GLA in the Stonewall index: http://goo.gl/8q9E1

The lesson for Cameron is to press right on ahead with marriage equality, not to wobble by heeding a few old Tory dinosaurs and the RCC’s organised campaign designed to distract from all their ongoing child abuse scandals.

That said, I do have a bit more respect for those Tories that have always been pro-equality through thick and thin, rather than those such as Eric Pickles and Tim Mongomerie who are latecomers, have chosen to follow the prevailing wind, or have been leaned upon by the leadership. Better late than never !

But the key lesson that must be learned is that being gay-friendly is not only the right thing to do, it brings proven support at the ballot box.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 5 May 2012, 5:41pm

Boris’ victory actually vindicates Tory MP Francis Maude’s statement that not supporting equal marriage would make their party unelectable. Even those who are very opposed to it haven’t realised that it will mean defeat in 2015. The Tories need every gay vote they can get. Are they prepared to incur the wrath of other Tory MPs who are in support for losing them the election? The worst thing the Tories want is a Labour victory at any cost. I wouldn’t want to be any Tory MP voting no even if they don’t personally agree with marriage equality. Pragmatism is the only way they’ll win re-election Either way, if Labour wins, marriage equality will be a dead certainty because the majority of the Liberal Democrats will support it as well as some Tories. Cameron must press on and go through with it.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 5 May 2012, 12:59pm

I have to agree with you. It’s blown that other clown Howarth’s idiotic statement right out of the water and the rest of those Tory backbenchers. It is THEY who are on notice.

3. Spanner1960 5 May 2012, 3:36pm

He outperformed them simply because people were voting for personalities, not parties. I think had Labour had a different candidate instead of Ken, they would have fared much better.

11. Yes, I wish PN would run a story on his victory – a tremendous victory for a staunch pro-marriage equality Tory. I’d like to know who would have won without Boris’s support for LGBT rights – almost certainly Ken. Westminster Tories take note!

1. Craig Denney 5 May 2012, 12:34pm

Wow, Brian Paddock coming forth behind Jenny Jones. Them libdems are taking a beating.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 5 May 2012, 3:02pm

Yes, I was very surprised to see that. i was hoping he would win or at least second.

2. Spanner1960 5 May 2012, 3:38pm

Of course, everyone that didn’t vote Paddick was being blatantly homophobic. Just like setting fire to one of his pamphlets.

Yes, I know, I was being sarcastic, but you get my point.
        People should stop jumping to the wrong conclusions.

12. And yet the gay Kapo who wrote this craven defence of Lutfur Rahman’s homophobic vendetta against the White Swan was elected to the Assembly:

No justice in the world.

13. Foster Twelvetrees 5 May 2012, 2:05pm

Excellent news – two tories out of powere – gay has nothing to do with it. Good riddance.

14. ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…………..

15. Spanner1960 5 May 2012, 3:39pm

I wish you would deviate off this website.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 5 May 2012, 4:59pm

He calls us deviants, so that must make him one too for coming here. He’s one very sick man.

1. Rectal disease 5 May 2012, 7:07pm

Ignore what i just said, In reality if i had an unregulated blood transfusions whether from a gay person for not i would probably have aids, providing blood transfusions are checked it shouldn’t matter if they’re from a gay person or not.

2. so your reply below says you hate gays but you would gladly take their blood to save your own life, instead of giving it to someone who is needed more like a single parent.

3. Hetero-pride.. Great 2B Straight!. 6 May 2012, 1:02am

no i said ignore what i said i dont hate gay people.ar all. i post stupid sometimes but then my mum makes me stand in the naughty corner and it stops me from being a little a**hole.

4. Hret**tal de#is**eht!. (i dont know anymore) 6 May 2012, 1:04am

damn wrong name again

2. Rectal disease 5 May 2012, 7:05pm

I’m only joking, I am gay myself in fact

16. Rectal disease 5 May 2012, 7:04pm

Disregard what I just said, Homosexuals should have all the same rights as everyone else and are not deviant in any way.

17. Jock S. Trap 6 May 2012, 10:22am

You mean the people who ‘don’t want it’ because they already have the option, therefore Can’t and Won’t see how important it is for others?
    If people voted against the Tories because of marriage equality then why vote Labour who are also exactly the same in there support (now!). So your reasoning doesn’t make any sense. However you blatant bigotry does show through very strongly.

18. Robert in S. Kensington 6 May 2012, 1:17pm

Even if that were true, which it isn’t, the coalition will lose in the general election because of the government’s harmful austerity measures, nothing more. Sorry to disappoint you but the consultation isn’t going to be halted and the PM isn’t backing down. Get over it!

19. Robert in S. Kensington 6 May 2012, 1:19pm

And I assume you know a lot about deviance being a deviant yourself. Your user name is evident enough. Idiot!