Pastor who suggested punching gay sons ‘sorry for offence but not for word of God’

1. The Word of God has nothing to do with his stupid, clownish, and dangerous rant.

1. it does if you read leviticus. the bible also has a lot of other bigotry and hate to answer for that various religious leaders spew. btw, gods word isn’t real, it’s just someone’s imagination that they say is gods voice to try and give it more credibility to fools like yourself.

1. leviticus literally says not one word about gay people. it is 100% about abuse by straight men with power of others. the words for male used in the hebrew differentiate between males of different social status, wealthy free adult males as owners of land and power, and males as property. so why answer with more abuse. homophobia has zero support anywhere in the “bible” a collection of books written over 8 thousand years. only in the last 200 years has it been so mistranslated and its meaning abused to mean homophobia. hate chasing hate does not work. let’s be polite to wach other

2. OMG, this guy encourages others to punch and break some of God’s children? Has the Devil spoken to him? He’s no follower of God.

1. have you read the bible. there’s quite a lot of encouragement to kill others in it.

3. Such a freak job! Did he really think that no one would be angry by his words? Too late now, your damage has already been done.

4. Gary Barbosa-Strickland 3 May 2012, 1:07pm

How was the offence unintentional , he knew exactly what he was saying and the reaction it would get.

5. Dr Robin Guthrie 3 May 2012, 1:43pm

How convenient it must be for him to lay his own narrowness and smallness off on his God and to accept no responsibility for the uncompassionate nature of his own soul

His god will not be happy at being blamed for his shortcoming.

6. AltoMuzuka 3 May 2012, 2:40pm

I wonder what this guy would say if he found out that President Franklin Roosevelt was put in dresses when he was a little kid, considering that they really didn’t care what they put a child in during the time.

7. The only thing he is sorry about is that things kind of went viral and a lot of people saw what a total sleaze he is for suggesting that a child who appears gay should have his wrist cracked.

8. Errol Semple 3 May 2012, 2:48pm

Apology NOT accepted.
    The bigot and child abuser can go to hell.

9. I hope he sold his daughter into slavery and stoned his non-virgin wife to death as well. No offense, but that is the word of God

10. “Word of God”?

That covers everything from raping slaves to killing people who are witches/gay/adulterers/non-believers/false prophets/followers of other religions/[insert any old bollox here and the bible will have a passage condoning their murder]

In other words, “I can do _____, and tell you to do _____, becuase god says so”

Its a convenience excuse for the petty bigotry of the power crazy.

11. Many of these people make a good living from evangelising. He probably welcomes the publicity.

12. Oh Yes who could forget the very important book in the bible. THe Book of idi to the occy telling them “And the lord said that they should crack thy sons hand when he does a certain movement and they should make woman behave like a Barbie puppet which can cook”

13. M. Knight 3 May 2012, 3:52pm

The Word of GOD ? How dare the this pissant of a almost human be allowed to preach? Are the people that attend this (Chruch) so full of Hate this is acceptable to them? Kick OUT this HOMOPHOBE and get someone that is a true Christian.

1. oh please enlighten us with who is a true christian. the pope?

1. harvey milk. martin luther king. all the gay saints in the early church. the gay centurian jesus praises. the gay people jesus praises. the gay ethiopian jesus teaches after his resurrection. jonathan and david. ruth and naomi. saint father michael judge of new york. all the christian churches with gay bishops such as bishop robinson. bishop Tutu.

2. True Christian? They are about as real as their god. Surely a “true christian” would believe their bible to be the inerrant word of their imaginary friend; complete with all the hate contained within it’s pages.

14. Just another “I’m sorry I got caught” type of apology, it seems to me.

“I’m sorry I got caught while advocating the physical abuse of children during my homophobic rantings. Please don’t think badly of me even though I still believe everything I said otherwise those gullible fools in the congregation won’t take me seriously, and I wouldn’t be the centre of attention anymore.”

15. Sue Brown 3 May 2012, 3:53pm

Word of God? He suggests abusing vulnerable children and then gives a half-arsed apology. He still deserves to be locked up for inciting hatred.

16. Hahaha, yeah the bible passage suggests lightlysmacking the wrists of gay people and not to brutally exectue us.

Christians are just too much fun.

17. OK, I finally understand these aren’t merely his opinions, it’s all about god telling him that homosexuals are immoral and deserve to be smacked about a bit.
    Applying that precedent, Pastor Harris needs to be the lucky recipient of a decayed porcupine enema.
    That’s not simply my opinion, it’s something Thor said in some obscure chapter of Norse mythology, and given he’s a god, and has a blockbuster movie out right now who am I to argue?

18. Gene Touchet 3 May 2012, 4:37pm

When faced with their own words all these people “recant.”
    That shows that they give little or no thought to their speech, and indicates they give little or no thought to their theologies. Just rote recitation, which is meaningless when applied to life situations.

19. That guy has “child molester” written all over his face.

20. Dangermouse 3 May 2012, 5:09pm

What would have happened if someone had listened to him and hurt an innocent. A lame excuse wont do. A hefty donation to a childrens charity dealing with domestic violence would be a good start

21. MinusMinusMinus 3 May 2012, 6:06pm

one does not get their morals from a religion, one gets their morals from being a good person period.

I’m pretty sure this guy was caught out as gay.

22. More proof anti gay Christians are criminals, telling the people in his Christian church to break the wrist of a gay child is a crime. Thank God there are stil some sane people that will enforce the law if somebody hurts a child, it is child abuse and a criminal offence to harm any child gay or straght. LGBT children reading this need to call the police or any one who can help them and make a police report if harmed.

23. He’s only apologizing because he was recorded and it went viral and folks thought he was an arrogant ass, among other things. He’ll also deny any responsibility for the next kid who’s brutalized by parents or classmates because it’s “god’s will”.

24. darkmoonman 3 May 2012, 7:00pm

Word of God = whatever bigoted thing that pos into my head

25. Errol Semple 3 May 2012, 7:57pm

Is bigotry and child abuse the word of god?

26. John-Paul 3 May 2012, 9:25pm

what a stupid runt!

God effed up!!
    all the fire and brimstone and slavery and stonings and rapings was a screw up on Gods part.
    Thats why he sent his son to earth to tell peopl that from now on love is the way..he hung out with prostitutes and social misfits as an example to the world, and then was tortured and murdered to wipe our slates clean forever…..Chritianity, Christian, Christ!!!!a true believer follows Christ because that’s what God sent him for. Gods word has flap all to do with it.
    (If I believed in all that crap of course!)

27. Peter Gregory 3 May 2012, 11:14pm

Erm.. God has spoken to me, and I’ve bought an air ticket to meet this nice guy. God told me that my knuckles, wrists, everything must contact this guy’s face. It’s God’s word, so what can I do? am on my way tomorrow…

28. friday jones 3 May 2012, 11:32pm

“..the LGBT lifestyle?” Even his fauxpology contains dog whistles.

29. Peter Gregory 3 May 2012, 11:41pm

I’m a great friend of God’s Cop- Chief Constable Anderton, who still has.. a direct line to God. His daughter’s a dyke, but her wrists are now outa plaster and she escaped from the cellar. Me? I also have adirect line to God, and I’ve bought myself a ticket so’s I can meet my hero.. Pastor Harris. God told me how to do aerobics with my friend the pastor- my right knuckle connects with his adam’s apple hard- just to check he’s not really a butch lady- they don’t HAVE adams apples, so it’s best to check this out. Then God told me to test him just like those bits in the Old Testament.. you know.. about sacrificing your own son. I really feel that he’s God’s own son sorting out all these fags who’re causin the earthquakes an all.. I just read they’re causing all these immigration queues too. He can prove himself to me no problem- God has spoken and he’ll survive my smack in the face, as he recommended I did to my son. I HAVE to go now, someone’s breakin my door down

30. Peter Gregory 4 May 2012, 12:09am

Yeah! Punch those kids- hurt them- God TOLD you to do it! Break their writs- those nancy boys are causing EARTHQUAKES and today I reaf they’re causing 3 hour immigration queues.

31. I still think he’s going to be exposed with the meth and rent boys some time in the next few years.

And I’m sorry, but “my imaginary friend says it’s wrong, not me” is not an apology. If a six year old tried that then we wouldn’t let them get away with it.

32. What a viscous pig. I don’t accept his fake apology. Shame on his ignorant, red neck congregation for their chorus of approval. Scum.

1. Spanner1960 4 May 2012, 8:13am

Vicious. He’s not treacle.

33. Sam Maloney 4 May 2012, 8:19am

I think it’s pretty cool that even his born again congregation apparently found his words upsetting enough to cause him to apologize! A decade ago, they’d have probably given him a medal.

It may not feel like it, but this is progress.

34. So, one moment it is “crack that wrist” and “give him a good punch”, the next Pastor Harris is claiming he would never advocate these actions towards children by parents and that his words have been taken out of context. I can’t remember the last time I saw such farcical back-peddling.

1. I can… Scott Lively could’ve given him a good run for his money on the farcical backpedalling when he got his name hooked up with the gay death penalty in Uganda after preaching hate out there…
      That was like watching a VHS tape of the Tour De France on rewind.

35. jesus says anybody who hurts children should drown himself. this pastor got carried away by hate by intolerance by white male chauvinism and entitlement.

36. The American south is now officially morally on par with Saudi Arabia. Religion is a cancer destroying our world.