London Evening Standard comes out for equal marriage

1. Robert in S. Kensington 3 May 2012, 12:10am

Are you talking about yourself, Jean? If you don’t want equal civil marriage, don’t have one. Civil marriage isn’t religious in any way shape or form and old age heterosexual pensioners marry and do NOT procreate either. You’re an idiot.

2. Scott Lovely 3 May 2012, 12:56am

No dear, lamé.

1. Fab count me in.

3. Not as lame as posting bigoted nonsense anonymously on a gay site, is it Jean?

Lame is what we call you people when you lose…. as you keep on doing for some reason. You’re not related to that fool Rosemary Bull, by any chance are you?

1. No no, Will! Jean (AKA possibly Dr. Gaspar) is our joker! just LOVE her comments. Don’t cramp her style.

4. Bit like your dull, meaningless life Jean!

5. Wey-hey!! Hello Jean! We’ hadn’t half been missing you! Nice to see you back and still as mad as a cracker! Go it, girl.

6. First off the mark yet again, Jean – well done! You must have very very few distractions in your life, you lucky old thing.

7. I bit like your comments . . .

1. Now let’s see The Sun do the same…..OK maybe not!

1. They did call that imbecile Peter Bone MP their bigot of the week for his comments on gay marriage and called him a dinosaur, so there’s hope yet!

2. Robert in S. Kensington 3 May 2012, 12:48pm

I wouldn’t hold my breath on that one. Still… we can take comfort that we have the Times, Guardian, Financial Times and the Economist supporting us. I’m sure there will be others.

1. I’m surprised the Indie hasn’t come out in favour. Or has it and I haven’t noticed?

2. Great News!

The right side of history to be on!

3. Alison Dilly 3 May 2012, 8:02am

Let’s now see not just the Sun, but the Daily Mail give us some support.

1. I think that we would have more chance of seeing a pig fly!

1. wasn’t there an article in the Daily Mail on that particular event happening just recently? if I recall, it was tied in with something about celebrities, alien abductions, and hell freezing over….

2. The Daily Mail will support equality in one article and trash it in another.

In much the same way as they decry ageism and sexism in one article and the one below says LOOK MADONNA IS OLD AND A WOMAN. HATE HER NOW!!!

Or

In the same way as they say OMG there are two many images of half naked celebrities in the media won’t someone think of the children!!!! Next article Look at Rhianna wearing only a piece of rope in her latest video!!!! We’ve printed the pictures extra big just for you dear reader.

Or (this is fun isn’t it)

They whinge about the fashion industry and the media giving people EDs and then
      OMG LINDSAY LOHAN HAS BECOME A FAT MUNTER SHE MUST WEIGH A BILLION POUNDS. WASN’T SHE BETTER AS AN ANOREXIC

1. *too many

4. While it was godd to see this editorial, I would have liked to have seen a much bigger article detailing why same sex marriage will not cause the end of life as we know it!

1. Robert in S. Kensington 3 May 2012, 2:54pm

I challenge C4M and its gang of hate mongers to provide the evidence to the contrary. Surely, with ten countries allowing equal marriage isn’t that a sufficient number to obtain a report from at least one of them, in fact all of them? I wonder why they haven’t bothered? Nobody is asking them either. Canada I’m sure would be more than happy to furnish Colin Hart and his ally Lord Carey and all of the Tory MPs in opposition with the information. Stephen Harper, Prime Minister, is a conservative. What better person to ask?

5. Yes!
    It is such a wonderful thing to read an op ed that makes sense and speaks for the rights of people. It is a good thing for everyone for all of us to have equal rights.
    The anti-gay demagoguery of the other crowd is just awful in its ignorance, really bad karma for them.

The arc of history may be long but it does bend towards justice.

6. oooo, the UK has to be careful if they let the gays marry…

it might end up in total anarchy, like in Canada where they have had gay marriage for years now. and everyone knows what happened there!

with ALL of those polygamists wanting equality, and the incest and bestiality (hey, Canadians are partial to moose).

Yes, gay marriage is definitely dangerous to the very fabric of space-time.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 3 May 2012, 1:22pm

I wonder why C4M et al aren’t asking Canadian PM Stephen Harper for a government report indicating how many of those other forms of relationships have occurred that it claims will emerge if equal civil marriage is finally introduced in the UK? I think we know what the answer would be but clearly the opposition can’t produce one iota of evidence. Yet, nobody has asked them why? I wonder why though?

7. “He should stick to his guns”

I think he has to stick to his guns, he and many other senior Tories have come out strongly in favour, he can’t turn back the clock now otherwise he will be a trashed, weak PM…..he can’t put the genie back in the bottle, nor can Stonewall..

1. Robert in S. Kensington 3 May 2012, 12:42pm

As Tory MP Francis Maude said, the party will be unelectable if it doesn’t support it. The majority of Labour and Liberal Democrats support it. The Tories WILL lose in 2015 if they don’t. Those Tory MP pariahs in opposition will be blamed for the defeat and their political careers could well end as a result. People like me who voted Tory for the first time in 2010 won’t be voting for them again if that were to happen. It needs every gay vote it can get judging from the dismal results in 2010. I can’t believe members in their party are prepared to see it go down in flames over this one issue.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 3 May 2012, 4:39pm

Quite! Speaking of Stonewall, not a word from them since the consultation began. Hardly what one could call proactive.

8. Lumi Bast 3 May 2012, 6:16pm

Nice! If I was in England, I would buy one of their papers just because of this, I know it wouldn’t make a difference, but I like supporting gay friendly papers, businesses, etc. :D

1. Its a free paper – you wouldnt necessarily be expected to know this though.

1. Lumi Bast 3 May 2012, 7:06pm

Ah, didn’t know that. Thanks for the info! Well in that case, I’d read the paper, and suggest for other people to :P

1. The ES is London’s newspaper, very influential because it’s read by almost everyone who commutes to the capital. Unusually for a freesheet, it’s also a full-service, quality paper. It used to cost 50p but it became free and went from minor to major, tripling its circulation.

It’s also backing Boris, so the ES and the Indy will also both be on the right side of history when he’s re-elected tomorrow !

9. vversatile 3 May 2012, 8:07pm

Not that long ago, when the Evening Standard was still owned by the Mail, it fought against every attempt to bring about gay equality.
    I’m glad that it’s changed it’s tune and finally seen sense.