Equal marriage opponents’ poll finds government plans not a factor for most voters

1. I’d been looking over that poll, too, in a effort to see how the CI/C4M reached that figure. No matter how I tweek the maths, it comes nowhere near 1.1M

Interesting that the pollsters are now stating that the poll was commissioned by the CI. The CI was once censured for anti-gay activities that offered no religious perspective at all: to my eye, this money-wasting poll looks like another example of such activity.

I wonder how ComRes feels about having its name used by an organisation that wildly distorts their polls. In their ComRes’s place, I’d refuse any more of their business (not that I’d have agreed to work for these religious menaces in the first place!)

2. But why would people be concerned either way about proposals that aren’t going to affect them anyway?

Of course support for equality of any sort would be welcome.

1. Dr Robin Guthrie 3 May 2012, 3:59pm

People will ALWAYS vote with their Wallets and Purses.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 3 May 2012, 5:55pm

It’s called ‘bigotry’. They know it doesn’t affect them but they’ll do or say anything to get their way which isn’t going to happen. I’m not fooled by any of their polls or C4M’s either. They mean NOTHING.

3. Robert in S. Kensington 3 May 2012, 3:53pm

Actually, the figures aren’t that favourable to C4M or CI, just look at the percentages who won’t vote for the Tories. It’s not that significant. If anything is going to lose the Tories the election in 2015, it’s going to be their MPs in opposition and their constituents who voted for them. If they want a Labour government in 2015, so be it. I wouldn’t want to be one of the homophobic MPs in their party if that were to happen. Either way, the Tories will lose by alienating gay voters if this fails in Parliament. I won’t be voting for them under that scenario this time around. Of significance is the high percentage of Tories who aren’t bothered either way and who outnumber those in opposition.

4. So really what it seems they’ve done is take a bunch of figures from within another bunch of figures and made a headline which works in their favour?

But surely they wouldn’t seek to act in such a manipulative and underhanded way to suit their point of view. Would they? :P

5. I think someone has got their knickers all twisted. Must be galling for them poor souls to commission a poll which then goes against their own world views.
    My heart bleeds for them and I’ll loose so much sleep over this. Tehehehehe!

1. Robert in S. Kensington 3 May 2012, 4:36pm

They’re delusional! They keep telling themselves they’re right and winning. They say it enough times they end up believing it. It proves how desperate they are to resort to such stupidity. They’re a dying breed, thankfully, but not soon enough.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 3 May 2012, 4:50pm

Pink News couldn’t even get Com.res to divulge its methodology because of client confidentiality apparently. That alone proves they’ve something to hide.

6. but as we all know comres polls from C4M are simply out and out lies

1. If they had posed the question in a new neurtal way such ‘do Yoo think the govts plans to allow gay couples to get married would make you more or less likely etc etc”, then the result would more or less down in the noise.

This smacks of desperation. Let’s see how Daily Fail reports it.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 3 May 2012, 5:51pm

The Daily ‘Fail’ will declare it a victory, yet more delusion.

7. Transparency, Maths and accountability are not words in the C4M, CI or Comres vocabulary it would appear.

8. Why does Pink News still refer to them as the campaign for marriage, rather than the “campaign for marriage”, in scare quotes, as it should be?

They’re NOT “for” marriage, they’re against it, because they believe it should be an arbitrarily discriminatory and homophobic institution.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 3 May 2012, 7:19pm

They’re also against the very thing they claim they’re being denied, ergo freedom of religion when they oppose the Quakers, Unitarians, Liberal and Reformed Judaism wishing to participate. Yet again, proof of their hypocrisy and bigotry. They’re NO ‘christians’ by any stretch of the imagination but a fear-mongering, hate-mongering mob. Mob rule doesn’t have any place in a democracy nor should we allow the tyranny of a rabid minority over the majority. Let them move to Iran where they can live out their dream to live in a theocracy. I’m sure the Islamists would welcome them with open arms since they’re of the same mindset.

9. I wonder what the polls would look like if the Tories were actually having an effect economically on the country…

I thought one of the previous polls said that most of the electorate thought that marriage equality was a low priority on their list of concerns, if this is the case then I doubt very much whether someone would move from Tory to UKIP (I suppose this is the assumption) simply becuase of marriage equality. Why would anyone vote for a party with no hope of any power in parliament.

Take the poll when the govt is actually doing well and then lets see if people would actually move from a winning formula to an unknown one! I don’t think the Tories are very popular at the moment, end of story…marriage equality is irrelavant to most people….it’s all hype from the CI and the CEM brigade..

10. Lumi Bast 3 May 2012, 7:39pm

Equal civil marriage is none of their business!

Also it shouldn’t matter what a poll says, equal marriage should be a guaranteed right

11. The public aren’t really concerned about things that don’t really affect them. I doubt most of them care what these homophobic “christian” organisations say!

12. B L Z bub 3 May 2012, 8:50pm

I just X marked 2 polls this evening.

1) Local Councilor.

Choice of 12.

2) District Councilor.

Choice of TORY / LABOUR or GREEN

I want NONE of them.

These are the people that have created this mess and perpetuate it.

1. The Green party aren’t, they are more willing to look into a socialist society, a society where we will never have to deal with a recession again.

13. Heteropride.. Great 2B Straight!.,; 3 May 2012, 11:51pm

Sorry, I know I’m a pain.

I have low self-esteem issues and I’m appalled at my own homoness.

1. bahaha he finally admits it.

2. Anyone surprised? Thought not.

14. Heteropride.. Great 2B Straight!.,; 3 May 2012, 11:55pm

Where is the delete comment button? I really need to remove my last comment.

15. Gay & Happy 4 May 2012, 12:36am

I just think that anyone who stops voting for a particular party solely because of their support for equal marriage is unbelievably petty and small-minded. Anyone who prioritises putting gay people “in their place” above absolutely everything else (i.e. all the issues which actually apply to them) is very, very sad.

16. Wrong. So wrong it’s way beyond laughable. Heterosexuals already have civil marriage which is equivalent to us homosexuals’ civil partnerships in every way (it even confers exactly the same rights as we homosexuals have) – you simply go to a Registrar’s office, comply with the various civil conditions and then get married with no need for religion, or any other body, whatsoever (exactly the same procedure as for a homosexual civil partnership and exactly equal to it).

There, see, I’ve sorted it out for you; now run along and play quietly, my dear little man, because the grown-ups are busy.

1. Can you provide a link to their campaign. I’d be quite happy to support this issue.
      And that’s all LGBT people can offer, is support. It’s not our fight to have. Much the same as heterosexual people who are supporting of equal civil marriage. They don’t seek it for themselves but voice their support for it after LGBT people have started the campaign

1. Ahh back to the polygamy argument are we? OK. Again I’ll make it clear. I have no opinion on the matter either way as I have no experience of polygamy or those in such relationships. I have experience of LGBT people and so I offer support to them. A fight for polygamous marriage is not a fight for LGBT people to fight, that’s a fight for poygamous people to fight and attempt to gain support for. If there truly is a fight for polygamous marriage then let them make their case. I don’t offer support blindly for anyone/anything just because I support something else. But neither do I oppose something blindly at the same time.

17. P!ss off. Nobody cares…..

18. “Why do you psumptuously assume LBGT people would not wish to enter into polygamy”

I assume you mean presumptuously? I do not presume this at all. But this current issue is over allowing two individuals of same sex to enter into the existing framework of marriage which allows two individuals of opposite sex to do so. I’m sure there may well be couples of same and opposite sex who wish to enter into a polygamous marriage. Let them make their case. Their argument is an entirely seperate one from that which is ongoing.

And you’re right. My indifference is no indicator to whether I agree or disagree with polygamy. Because that is exactly what I am to it. Indifferent. I am not in a polygamous relationship. I do not know anyone in such a relationship. I have never come across anyone in such a relationship. So therefore why should I see fit to pass a judgement on such a relationship. Let those who are carry out whatever debate needs to be had on the matter, it’s a seperate issue.

1. Heteropride.. Great 2B Straight!.,; 4 May 2012, 11:20am

Yeah, you’re right!

2. You seem to be contradicting yourself quite a bit. That or this page is formatting itself rather poorly.

And do activate your spellchecker: doing so won’t improve your (um) ‘logic’ but it will be less offensive to those of us who successfully completed secondary education.

3. “Why not, unlessyou assume no LGBT person will want polygamy.” – Did I not just answer that question(And I’m the vacant one)?

That bit in the middle makes absolutely no sense to try and read. Were you trying to quote me then make a point or what. Try again.

And given that the C4EM and C4M petitions don’t even total 1 million, would you suggest the rest of Britain’s millions are vacant or are, much like myself with polygamy, indifferent as they have no connection with the debate so therefore don’t involve themselves?

19. I wouldn’t vote Tory just because they’re putting in marriage equality either, and I’m gay!!

Whats your point, one proposal is not enough to sway my political views.

20. Oh no. You find me to be selfish. How can I go on with my life with the shame of being defined as selfish by an individual like you. And trust me that isn’t a compliment.
    For what it’s worth your right, I am white. But I have friends who are not so I have experienced the discrimination you refer to against them and I find it disgusting, so I do support measures to address racial discrimination.
    And I do not seek to involve LGBT or heterosexual people who have no opinion on equal marriage, if they have no opinion then I am happy for them to remain “vacant”. I would only seek input from those who have an opinion on the matter, for or against.
    You say “If you sincerely supported equality, you would seek it for all groups and not just those you favoured.” Would you have said the same to Martin Luther King when the BAME community sought their equal rights?

1. “for admitting that you are indifferent to the rights of others in issues which do not affect you personally.”

Can you not read? I ain’t affected by racism myself, my friends are and I ain’t indifferent to it, I support the fight against it. I note you don’t answer my point on the Black rights movement. Would you consider people such as Martin Luther King selfish for only being interested in the rights of Black people.

And you can judge me all you like, frankly I couldn’t give a $hit what you think of me. Ultimately I live my life the right way. I love my friends and my family. I treat others with respect, even when I don’t agree with them. If there is indeed a God then when the day comes that judgment is passed on my life then I’d be confident of coming out ahead of you any day of the week Keith.

21. Jock S. Trap 5 May 2012, 12:48pm

Oh what a surprise… for those who have equality, other people being equal isn’t a factor… Well I guess not when they have what They want. Selfish people!

22. Jock S. Trap 5 May 2012, 12:52pm

“Why do you psumptuously assume LBGT people would not wish to enter into polygamy?”
    Because this isn’t about polgamy. It’s about 2 people in love and celebrating it by choosing to get married.
    As usual your argument is way off, bears no relevence and shows you as an immature bigot.