David Cameron: ‘The time has come for gay couples to marry’

1. But what is Cameron going to do about the MPs like Gale and McCartney who peddle homophobic comments ?

1. Robert in S. Kensington 2 May 2012, 11:42pm

Exactly what I’ve been asking. He should demand factual evidence for the spurious, extermely offensive claims that introducing equal civil marriage will bring on polygamous, incestuous and other forms of relationships alluded to by C4M and those in the Tory party who echo its mission. Now is the time to draw a distinct line in the sand.

2. Sacking them is quite a good idea, I think.

2. The time has come for Christians to look elsewhere for parliamentary representation.

1. People for burn photographs in public places?

Such strong moral standards you have, Jean

Did the sky fairy tell you to say that?

2. Michael Inkpin-Leissner 2 May 2012, 11:07pm

I am catholic and i look for labour. And you are not christian, you are just bigott. May the lord punish you heavily. I had enough of your hate! What you give out you shall receive!

1. You’ve had enough of her hate but not enough of the Pope’s…

3. Jean you’re not a spokesperson for Christians. Unless you are Christ?

1. Robert in S. Kensington 2 May 2012, 11:43pm

Christ never mentioned let alone condemned gay people. Jean is clearly not a christian, in fact none of them are.

4. Robert in S. Kensington 2 May 2012, 11:39pm

Yes, by all means. Have you considered UKIP of BNP? They’d be the perfect alternative for you.

5. Try looking in the 1st Century that seems to be where most of your other parliamentary supporters are.living.

6. Re: “Jean”. That you again, Stu? haha. ;)

1. Oh, COME ON. What’s with the ‘Dislikes’? It was a JOKE!

7. No, the time has come for Christians to learn how to render unto Caesar.

8. “The time has come for Christians to look elsewhere for parliamentary representation.”

Or another country to live in…. what about Iran?

Bye now.

9. Don’t build our hopes up.

10. Jean. Tell me why you (as a Christian) have decided to comment on a gay website which you and yours hate so much???? If you check statistics Jean ‘straight’ marriages are hardly anything to feel good about as most now end in divorce. Most straight people I know in my neighbourhood are cohabiting with their partner and have no intention of marrying. Why then do Christians have a problem with Gay couples getting married. When they are more likely to stay together and be happy. Is that not what love and marriage is all about????

1. You’ll be lucky to get a response from her Michael. Personally I think that she is one of the regular contributors who likes to get people’s backs up!

1. I agree. It’s all provocation with no comeback.

11. Unelected Bishops in the House of Lords not enough for you ?

12. Christians as far as I am concerned should have no place in government! Religion should never be included in any CIVIL matter.

P.S Jean I think your broom stick is being clamped!

13. Gay & Happy 4 May 2012, 12:06am

The time has come for bigoted, hateful simpletons to stop hiding behind “Christianity” and cherry-picking Bible passages when we all know that their prejudices actually come from their own intolerant “minds” and nowhere else. It’s very sad that they are so consumed by their hate (and possibly internalised homophobia) that they simply cannot bring themselves to accept that homosexuality is not disordered, no matter what the American Psychiatric Assocation et al have been saying for several decades. It’s a very clear indication that illogical people simply *will not* accept reality if they don’t want to, however much irrefutable evidence is presented to them.

The thing which strikes me above all about the homophobes on this site is how incredibly thick and uncomplicated they are. All they do is repeat the same old “gay is bad” rubbish again and again and again. They never develop their “arguments” in any way. They’re just really, really stupid, almost comically so.

3. Marriage values are Conservative values. The Tories love marriages and family units. Believe me this is more about loving the institution of marriage than a pro-gay policy.

1. I don’t particularly want a pro-gay policy. I want sexuality neutral policies. So that is fine with me :)

2. There is nothing wrong with the institution of marriage. I wish my parents had had respect for it and I am not a Tory voter.

3. Robert in S. Kensington 2 May 2012, 11:45pm

Well, serial adulterer Sir Roger Gale would know a thing or two about that wouldn’t he?

4. GulliverUK 2 May 2012, 11:07pm

If he manages to pull it off great, but if not it’ll be 0/10 for achievement I’m afraid. Nobody gives you credit when you don’t deliver the goods, however hard you say you tried. But it’s also on all of us to complete the online form, or just email them (see c4em.org.uk) to simply say we are in favour, along with a small note of why.

Even though I’m a socialist I do appreciate Cameron re-stating / re-affirming his intentions.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 2 May 2012, 11:54pm

The C4EM petition has garnered a very dismal amount of signatures. Only just more than 52,000 compared to C4M which has almost 500,000. Clearly, our side wasn’t prepared for the onslaught from the religious right wing. I don’t think our petition hasn’t been adequately diffused. The video for example hasn’t been aired on the BBC, ITV or any channel for that matter. How can it possibly reach a wider audience unless it receives wider coverage as well as the petition.

I found the latest marriage equality video from American actor Stanley Tucci. This is the kind of thing we need in the UK, inviting celebrities to participate.

1. GulliverUK 3 May 2012, 12:10am

Just about to go to sleep, but I don’t believe C4M has 500,000 signatures. If you go to;
        that is the last page, with “ipp=1000″ meaning 1000 signatures displayed per page. Times by 173 pages it displayed 173,000 online signatures. You can even set IPP to 1, to display 1 name per page, and you get;
        Next Page 172572 of 172572

So they have 172,572 online signatures. They’ve been bumping up that total periodically, and I’m betting most of their total is fake. They would have to have over 318,000 signatures on paper, which using their forms would be something like 20 full boxes of 2,500 sheets of paper. All those others would have to be from Churches and other petition gathering, and their numbers don’t tie in with church attendance, views of Catholic voters (mainly it’s the Catholic church that has been doing this), and there are unexplained surges which I’ve witnessed during the day. In just a few hours that total went up by 6k!

2. Spanner1960 3 May 2012, 5:47pm

It had nothing to do with ‘our side’ not being prepared.
        It had everything to do with ‘our side’ not being organised.
        When we have chocolate teapots like Ben Summerskill and Stonewall that self-appointedly represent us, and then go completely against what the majority of LGBT people want, it’s hardly surprising.

5. Never mind all these fine words, we will need to see whether there’s anything in the Queen’s Speech next week. That will be a good indicator of the Government’s true intention.

1. I’m not sure you put stuff in to the Queen’s Speech that’s in an Official Consultation stage, but I could be wrong, and I’d be more than happy to be on this occasion!

1. Spanner1960 3 May 2012, 6:26pm

That would probably be in case they decide to backpedal, but unfortunately maam has already let the cat out of the bag.

6. I dont particually like david cameron or the bulk of his policies but I at least respect him for this.

7. The time HAS come for same sex couples to get married, there is no legitimate reason as to why they can’t.

(Same sex couples are denied the right to marry due to ignorance, usually brought on by religion)

1. I don’t like in England/the UK so this doesn’t affect me directly, but I hope for those LGB people in England that it’s legalized. Plus, if I ever decide to move to there it would benefit me, or if same sex marriage was recognized where I lived, I could have my married performed there.

1. live*

didn’t realize the typo. I actually do like the UK, even though I’ve never been :P

8. According to the Christian Institute, a new poll indicates that two thirds of Cameron’s constituents want to keep marriage as it is – between one man and one woman. And that number climbs to 75 per cent amongst the people who voted for him at the last general election.

Unfortunately the Christian Institute gives absolutely no details about the poll – who carried it out, and the methodology employed. Does anyone here know any of those details?

1. Robert in S. Kensington 3 May 2012, 12:00am

What if it does come to a vote and probably will and what if it passes? What will you do then? How will it affect the way you live your life and your ability to marry? So you’re a racist too with aspirations to join the BNP?

1. Is this meant for AIden??

1. Robert in S. Kensington 3 May 2012, 12:06am

Joss, if you mean my last comment, then yes, intended for Aiden.

2. Scott Lovely 3 May 2012, 12:01am

Maybe a poll of their members?

3. They asked a dozen people coming out of church “Do you think people that people should be able to marry their mothers and their dogs, or should marriage stay the same?”

1. Robert in S. Kensington 3 May 2012, 12:07am

Well, it would be illegal. We have laws against that and that’s not going to change with or without equal civil marriage. End of.

4. Robert in S. Kensington 3 May 2012, 12:05am

dave, do you really believe anything the Christian Institute says? It can’t even produce the evidence to prove that polygamy and other forms of relationships will be ushered in let alone identify the people demanding them to justify the ban on us having access to civil marriage. There are ten countries currently allowing us to marry. Why haven’t they produced a report from any of those governments to support their claims? If that 75% want a Labour government in 2015, then that’s what they’ll get by voting against Cameron and so will those Tory MPs in opposition.

1. I’m always suspicious of polls. That was why I asked.

5. The CI refer to a previous comres poll in this article

I think this refers to this poll perhaps?

not sure where this new poll they are referring to is coming from?

9. If he’s so for equality – why a consultation? What does he need to consult about? why do we need to ask questions over whether we are worthy of equality or not?

Why not just change the law? It’d spare us every homopbhobe and his dog flocking to the papers to spew drivel at us

1. I agree with you Sparky. However, this is Britain, you must have noticed as I assume you’re British, that we like to do things as expensively, painfully and slowly as possible.

Other examples of this national perversion include road works, painting the Forth Bridge, and building the new Wembley Stadium.

1. And managing droughts.

*shakes out umbrella*

2. No other party was pushing for a consultation on marriage equality

There are innumerable laws that have been passed without a consultation. Indeed this coalition has brought in several laws and policies I only wish they’d consulted us about.

3. Spanner1960 3 May 2012, 5:58pm

And running some sports function in Stratford this year.

1. You sound very Victor Meldrew like these days, Spanner

2. GulliverUK 3 May 2012, 12:13am

amen to that !

3. Exactly. It shouldn’t be up for debate, we should be guaranteed rights!!

1. GulliverUK 3 May 2012, 12:36am

True. I don’t remember them having a consultation when employment rights were being discussed in parliament – but perhaps I’m wrong. You know they took two years to consult on Civil Partnerships, from start to final vote. They copies much of the marriage law, adding loads more, created hundreds of “enabling” acts to change hundreds of pieces of legislation to read “married [or Civil Partnership]” … all, … to keep us apart from others. And now, if you tick that box that says “Civil Partnership”, you immediately disclose your sexual orientation — nice way for an employer, prospective employer, insurer, or other, to discriminate. Just sayin…. It wouldn’t be nearly so bad if heterosexuals had Civil Partnerships as well, but keeping one group apart, when they have almost all the same rights, can “served no purpose, and had no effect, other than to lessen the status and dignity of gays and lesbians.” (from US court ruling on Prop 8.

2. Lumi Bast 3 May 2012, 1:01am

Well I don’t think civil partnerships should exist at all, it should just be marriage for everyone (and of course I want hate crime laws, discrimination protection laws, etc). I don’t like civil partnerships, there’s no point to it.

Yeah, they’re just keeping us LGBs separate because of their ignorance. The laws will change eventually (hopefully). Us having equal rights has no effect on homophobes, or even LGB friendly heterosexuals, so I don’t see why homophobes can’t just shut up and accept it, but that would require a functioning brain, they have one but they don’t use it!

1. “and of course I want hate crime laws, discrimination protection laws, etc”

But not for Trans people, as you said before. You’re as hypocritical as the religious extremists.

Me-me-me. Do you ever make any effort al all to see beyond your brain damaged ego-centric world view?

4. Bella Brahms 3 May 2012, 2:14pm

If they didn’t offer consultation about this change then there would be a load of groups and individuals screaming about not having been consulted. It’s what we do in a democracy.

1. James Ellis 3 May 2012, 9:53pm

The plan is to simply change the law. The consultation is regarding opposite-sex civil partnerships, gay marriage in religious buildings and varies other things.

10. How odd that the link to the Evening Standard article wasn’t included !

So here it is:-

Cameron’s comments are about halfway down the page.

It’s very encouraging that he’s re-stated his position so clearly.

Pink News also didn’t notice that the Evening Standard also gave its backing to equal marriage in its second editorial today:-

Well done to both Cameron and the Evening Standard. They both know that equal marriage is a winning cause, as does Boris now.

1. GulliverUK 3 May 2012, 12:23am

I had been making a list;

- All major parties support marriage equality; Greens, Tories, LibDems, Labour, SNP
      - Tim Montgomerie supports it
      - The new dean of St Paul’s Cathedral has called on the Church of England to embrace gay marriage.
      - 120 Anglican clergy have asked to be able to decide whether to officiate in Civil Partnerships
      - The Vicar of St Lawrence’s, Eastcote, in Pinner, the Revd Stephen Dando
      - Lead Chaplain of the Royal Brompton and Harefield NHS, the Revd Robert Thompson.
      - The Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), Unitarians and Liberal Jews, Reform Jew and Metropolitan Community Church
      - The Lesbian and Gay Christian Movement
      - The thinktank Ekklesia and the Catholic group Quest
      - Liberal wings of Buddhists and the Pagan Federation
      - The American Psychological Association (APA)
      - Daniel Hannan supports it.
      - The Times supports it (not the Sunday Times tho!)
      - The Guardian supports it.
      - The FT have written articles supporting it.

2. GulliverUK 3 May 2012, 12:24am

and….

- 61% supported it amongst Christians (recent poll)
      - 61% supported it amongst the general public (polls in 2009 and 2011)
      - The new Bishop of Salisbury, The Rt Revd Nick Holtam
      - former Prime Minister Tony Blair supports it
      - former President Jimmy Carter supports it
      - Sally Berkow supports it
      - Jackie Smith and Jack Straw supports it.
      - Shadow Home Secretary Yvette Cooper supports it.
      - The Progressive Christianity Network (PCN) a British faith-based group
      - Rt Rev Nicholas Holtam, the Bishop of Salisbury
      - Iain Duncan Smith, Government, Work and Pensions Secretary
      - Boris Johnson, London Mayor
      - Louise Mensch, Tory MP
      - Head of the Episcopal Church in Scotland the Most Rev David Chillingworth
      - Evening Standard

11. Same sex marriage is none of your business and doesn’t affect you

12. GulliverUK 3 May 2012, 12:30am

Aiden, you’re reduced to supporting fascist parties because all the others parties support this measure. You’re left without any reasoned options – but I suspect someone like you would have voted BNP or UKIP anyway – you’d be an absolute idiot if you defected to them on this one matter, since, as has been pointed out, it doesn’t affect you at all. Good riddance I say. But you can be sure your vote is totally wasted because UKIP and the BNP will never have a single MP, ever, between them.

13. Aiden you nob, they won’t have you they both hate gays, and that includes you. They like everyone else sees right though your pretend hetro schtick. Face it you love the cock. You can’t stay away from us gays. Are you ever coming out? Come on make it official.

1. Lumi Bast 3 May 2012, 1:02am

Pink News should throw a coming out party for him!

1. Oh yes jelly and glitter just fab! Aiden could wear his little gold shorts and tank top ahhh!

1. Lumi Bast 3 May 2012, 1:51am

Hmmm I think pink would suit him better, it also fitting considering this site lol ;P

2. I think you mean knob Osric, I seriously doubt Aiden has even a remote chance of being a nob.

And I’d very much rather he stayed on his side of the fence, come to think of it!

14. Cameron’s position on gay marriage is absolute bullsh*t.

How convenient of him to reassert his supposedly enlightened attitude to equal marriage on the eve of the local elections.

What most people don’t seem to realise is that this supposedly ‘liberal’ outlook on gay relationships is a fabrication designed not to appeal to the people it purports to advantage, but to straight ‘sympathisers’ who would look more favourably on the Tory party if gay friends and family were included on the ticket. After all, “official” statistics claim we barely exist at all.

How can we be coerced to the polls, carrot-and-stick, by people who have literally no interest in the stick unless it’s politically viable to beat us with it (or not)?

I guarantee, this charade will continue up to the next general election, where, having retained power, the Tories will quietly retire plans for gay marriage, citing their inconvenience in favour of more “pressing” issues that would benefit “everyone”.

1. The only way the tories will get a gay vote next ge is if theyve passed gay marriage laws by that time.

1. de Villiers 3 May 2012, 7:32pm

Is there a gay vote? I vote on the preponderance of policy objectives.

2. GulliverUK 3 May 2012, 10:23am

Agree with ged, if it’s not passed there will be no second chance, regardless of any assurances that they would take it forward in the next parliament. Almost a year ago I said I thought they’d pretend to try to support it then kick it in to the “long grass” (exactly the words I used). But given where we are now that’s exceptionally unlikely unless they’re very stupid. They will have already damaged their reputation with the radical fundamentalist Christians and have to make that support up elsewhere. It’s a calculated risk to lose some of those Christians but pick up votes from some in the gay community. Because of morons like Grayling and his B&B comments, and some of their prospective candidates, their poll results from the lgbt community sank like the Titanic just before the election in 2010. If it hadn’t sunk we might have had a Tory government. I’d never vote for them, but some might.

3. Spanner1960 3 May 2012, 5:49pm

Well they have still said more than Labour ever did.
      Brown only introduced CP’s because the EHCR pushed them for it, and woe betide any British minister that screws with the EU lawmakers, God forbid.

15. what a berk…

16. The time has come? Actually I think it’s well overdue.

1. Peter & Michael 3 May 2012, 7:46am

We Too !

17. “I am happy that my Tory MP is not in favour. It is either UKIP of BNP for me.”

Is that the last desperate cry of the loser?

It sure sounds like it. I’m glad you’re happy with that pathetic little thought. We’ll be happy too when equality comes in.

1. “It is either UKIP [or] BNP for me” – indeed, Aiden. Indeed. If your political persuasion is bigotry and xenophobia, those are the ideal candidates for you.

18. Peter & Michael 3 May 2012, 7:45am

Hooray, the sooner the better, bring it on, at last our relationship will be equal to marriage !

19. While I welcome David Camerons pledge on this issue, as I understand it, MP’s will be given a free vote when it it is time. What does Mr. Cameron propose to do should the vote be lost? Will he invoke the act of parliament to force it through? Why do I doubt that?

1. He’ll do whatever it takes to secure votes. What this country needs is for the baby boomer generation to pass away, social politics will change drastically tgen.

2. If you mean the Parliament Act, he could do so providing the Bill starts in the House of Commons rather than being a ‘Lords Bill’

3. Robert in S. Kensington 3 May 2012, 12:33pm

I think it would need to pass first in the Commons in order for an invocation of the Parliament Act assuming it fails in the House of Lords.

4. Spanner1960 3 May 2012, 5:56pm

Because he is not Tony Blair.
      Cameron is not my favourite politician, but at least he has the integrity not to override the entire democratic process and drive roughshod through Parliament like Blair did with the foxhunting debacle.

20. Comments by the crypto communists here really are laughable – their blind hatred of the Conservative party is just the same as the rabid hatred directed at us by fundamentalist christians or muslims. Cameron has made an honest statement in support of gay marriage, even though he knows this will upset the minority of gay-haters in his party. He should be commended not subject to this endless caustic bitching. I suspect the far left hates the idea of gay marriage, as this brings us into the mainstream. This terrifies them as this will marginalise their extremist cause even more and lose them what little support they have amongst gay people.

1. excuse us for being skeptical but while support is good its not enough these days, we need concrete action now

2. GulliverUK 3 May 2012, 2:57pm

LOL :D
      I suspect Thomas that many will see your attack as somewhat extremist. I’m a socialist, and more inclined to Keynesian economics, with a very strong social justice element – the kind I see missing in the Tory party. I will never forgive them for Section 28 and all the other nasty things they did over those 18 years, and I also feel they mismanaged the economy for much of that time. Many Tories were openly homophobic, and some, old and new, still are – more so than the other “mainstream” (not UKIP and BNP) parties. They’ve grown up tho, and Cameron’s apology on Section 28 is welcome, and his proposals for equal marriage — astonishing; I feared the Tories would strip away our rights again. But your attack, labelling critics as communists and far left extremists is laughable. GET A GRIP !

21. “I am happy that my Tory MP is not in favour. It is either UKIP of BNP for me..”

As if we did not know you were an extremist!!!

22. As Jon Stewart said, the only way someone could have a problem with gay marriage is if it were mandatory. Otherwise, I think either people lack the intellectual understanding behind their negative comments or are hateful bigoted people.

23. Really? That’s the best you can come up with? All that garbage and bile you spout usually and the best you can think of for Cameron is “fat Tory face”?

24. Robert in S. Kensington 3 May 2012, 12:36pm

Except yours will be shut first once this passes. Then what will you do, move to the middle east where all devolved brains belong? I think the Shia and Sunni groups would love you. Come out whoever you are.

25. Again I fail to see why ‘hetero’ people like yourself who claim that it is Great to Be Straight have a link to this website. Personally I think you have major issues. Perhaps you should call the Lesbian and Gay Switchboard for some advice on why you are so attracted to Gay websites.

26. B L Z bub 3 May 2012, 1:04pm

Loooooooooooosseeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrr

27. Just as with ANY politician one must listen to and pay very close attention to every word they say, and just as important, every word they DON’T say. Listening to Cameron’s comment very carefully I’m bothered by all the word parsing he does. He speaks of his PERSONAL opinion on the matter of marriage equality and his WISH that the Conservative Party do this or that but no real hard statements about what his PARTY believes or what they will do.

1. GulliverUK 3 May 2012, 2:59pm

An astute observation Hayden. He’ll get 0/10 for attainment if it doesn’t now go through, and will have alienated Christian traditionalists and fundamentalists. He cannot afford for it not to go through now.

28. “The time has come for Cameron to shut his fat Tory face”

LOL! Like a powerless ex-gay freak like you can do that! Don;t make me laugh (any more). I bet you need assistance just to get out of bed in the morning to sign on to whatever social welfare you need to buy your drink.

And STILL we are winning. Soon the UK will have marriage equality. And Ireland will follow soon. And there is NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, you can do about it. Wahey!

29. Anti Widdecombe 3 May 2012, 3:00pm

Hmm, a lot of talk. Can we see some action please?

As for his philosophy on society, I disagree with him. My idea to make society better would be:
    1. Get everyone to give everyone else a helping hand, and make sure everyone’s basic needs are met. Promote volunteering, force those using work seekers benefits to do civil work for it.

2. Make hard drugs extremely illegal. Double the tax on alcohol when over 4%. Legalise weaker forms of weed in food forms (better than alcohol), legalise prostituion so workers can have legitmate access to help if they want to exit.

3. Treat everyone fairly, and demand respect for the system. Abandon those who appear psychopathic or incapable of reform. Society should give you a fair chance, but not spend unlimited resources trying to do so.

1. ” Double the tax on alcohol when over 4%”

why should we go easy on beer drinkers and over tax wine lovers?

whats the difference between bottle of wine and 8-10 pints of lager?

1. Spanner1960 3 May 2012, 6:00pm

Shurely shome mishtake. *hic!*

2. Spanner1960 3 May 2012, 6:03pm

I go with some of what you say, but I don’t support the alcohol and drugs approach.
      Personally, I would do like Holland and legalise small quantities, but come down seriously hard on the dealers.

I would also carry a minimum sentence for catching anyone carrying a knife to 2 years, without parole, and carrying a gun to 10.

We need the US three-strikes rule. Anybody that breaks the law for a third time gets the book thrown at them.

30. The Tory Prime Minister is ahead of Stonewall on this issue, and more firmly committed to equal marriage than the previous Blairite government was in 13 years. And still people are pissing and moaning here about his supposedly foot-dragging. Morons. A consultation is designed to avoid backlash by laying the groundwork for change. Anyone with a basic understanding of politics knows that.

btw, Homophobic MPs are unfortunate, but in Britain citizens have the right to free speech, including dissenting, offensive, stupid, or unpopular speech. Beware calling on the State to monitor speech. That same weapon can be turned against us too. Political cretins.

1. If you think British people have aa right to free speech you need to look at hate speech laws and similar crap.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 3 May 2012, 6:31pm

I agree. Stonewall hasn’t been actively participating lately. A letter of support sent to the consultation and one brief t.v. appearance by Summerskill back in March. Not good enough.

31. No, its came YEARS ago.

1. Dr Robin Guthrie 3 May 2012, 8:27pm

What came years ago.

The right of second hand citizenship as crapped out of the arse of the churches.

You got that right.

32. @Keith

I’m disappointed. Not up to your usual standard … http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sWaTGLmppg

33. Spanner1960 3 May 2012, 5:54pm

I still think it’s a cop-out.

CP’s should be recognised for the shoe-horned compromise they always were, and should be totally scrapped.
    Anybody in a CP should automatically be upgraded to full marriage status AT NO COST. (The government got us into this mess, the government should bloody well pay for it.)

And:
    Religious same sex marriages should be allowed where the religious establishment considers it acceptable.
    Churches should not interfere with governmental issues, but likewise, governments should not interfere with religious ones either, should they choose to do so.

1. Dr Robin Guthrie 3 May 2012, 8:40pm

We are in FULL agreement for once.

I’m in a CP. How romantic is that.

I remember it distinctly. 2 years ago.

Some office workers. My intended, council staff , pieces of paper and a pen.
      My parents to old to fly down and attend.

A clinical experience.

My “pretend husband of 2 years CP and 8 years living together” is off to Scotland to bury his dead lapsed
      Catholic Father who would have been happier being stuffed in a bin bag and chucked over a hedge
      as he hated that bloody church also.

Funny. I see it as a crumb, however my CP until I detailed it out didn’t.

1. Don’t put yourself down. Your Civil Partnership of 2 years and 8 years living together has lasted far longer than most heterosexual relationships. That in itself is something to be proud of. Congratulations to you both. I hope the ‘heterosexuals’ on this website take notice.

34. Gay & Happy 4 May 2012, 12:16am

You must be so fed up that more and more of the world is progressing and becoming enlightened on this issue. It really gets to you, doesn’t it? How dare politicians dispense with the outdated and thoroughly discredited notion that gay people are inferior, when you so desperately want them to be? Surely your small-minded prejudices are more important than reality?

Go for it, Tories. Don’t listen to the spiteful, bitter, lying thickos who are more concerned with making a minority miserable than they are with making themselves happy. When this goes through, it will be wonderful, and will enhace the lives of gay people in so many ways other than the actual option of marriage itself. I can’t wait. I’m so pleased with the progress that has been made in the last 20 years.

35. Gay activist Paul Mitchell 4 May 2012, 12:50pm

Conservatives in the UK have turned over a new leaf hey!

Maybe I should consider moving to the UK?

Meanwhile here in Australia, Julia Gillard who looks like a man and is a childless, leftist atheist who has a boyfriend that hates gay men and lesbians – and Tony Abbott who finds gay men “threatening”!

36. LondonVicar 4 May 2012, 6:24pm

The light is on but no-one is home.

ie: DC isn’t listening.

Hmm.

Wonder if he will listen once election results show support is waning ?

37. David Cameron is just buying for time if you ask me so he can stay in govment, outher wise it wood have been done buy now