BNP London mayoral candidate Carlos Cortiglia answers PinkNews readers’ questions

1. My question would be – Do you think that we believe a single bloody word of that?

Because I don’t believe for a single moment that most of his followers do.

2. I actually got bored reading it, finding it all a bit generic and lacking in credibility…

But,

“Sex establishments themselves do not create female exploitation.”

Oh right….

1. I think with checks then no, it doesn’t. as long as we make sure, extra sure, that women (and men) are there by their own volition then there is no problem. The biggest problem in this country is the prohibition of most sex work instead of having a heavily regulated system where every sex worker is checked and approved as well as the location of where it is done. Prohibition of anything doesn’t work, just like drugs, it gets pushed underground, people get exploited and everyone suffers as a consequence.

I don’t agree with the BNP, in fact as a liberal they make my skin crawl but he is right on this issue (I suppose eventually you have to be right about something). No amount of legislation is going to change attitudes, it didn’t with drugs and won’t with this. Education is the key to everything…

1. Robert in S. Kensington 2 May 2012, 9:32pm

To digress a bit, I agree, sex work should be legal and regulated just as it is in other more progressive societies. Another source of revenue for the treasury.

1. Spanner1960 3 May 2012, 10:06am

Absolutely.
          The UK still follows a lot of Victorian double standards.

3. Benjamin Cohen 2 May 2012, 8:57pm

I have to say I struggled a lot when I read this. I have no idea if that is what they believe. I’m intrigued if this is going to be the official BNP policy, so I suppose not hating gays but still being against immigration etc. However, it’s worth noting that not a single reader of PinkNews selected BNP in the recent survey, actually in the past, we’ve had one or two!

1. Spanner1960 3 May 2012, 10:11am

I think that is because the BNP were the last-ditched option of people sick of the big three, and wanted to prove a point. It wasn’t they wanted, or certainly expected, the BNP to win, but it rattled cages and told the other parties they needed to stop being so complacent, particularly with regard to immigration.

I think since then UKIP have filled those shoes as most rational people considered the BNP too radical, and as I have head UKIP described as “BNP Lite” they are again shaking up British politics to make the point that people really are not happy with the three horse race.

2. ‘…I’m intrigued if this is going to be the official BNP policy, so I suppose not hating gays but still being against immigration etc…’

yea, like few months ago we were 100% bigots. now that we don’t hate gays any more we are only 90% bigots so anyone with any other prejudices and bigotries can still vote for us as we are still 10% more bigoted then ukip

1. No, it is because as a nationalist party gays are a part of our nation and as the BNP are nationalists it is a party for the entire nation without regard to somebody’s sexual orientation, class background ect.

4. Robert in S. Kensington 2 May 2012, 9:31pm

I don’t believe anything he says. The BNP just like UKIP do NOT believe in equal civil marriage. That alone would alienate rational gay voters.

1. Spanner1960 3 May 2012, 10:12am

It’s the single reason I have chosen not to vote for UKIP, and now I will be abstaining altogether.

2. I am a BNP supporter and I think that slowly the party’s attitudes to
      homosexuals/bisexuals ect are changing. Whilst there are a few dinasaurs that have an silly obsession with other people’s sexuality, I think a lot of BNP supporters really couldn’t give a damm what you lot get up to in private. Homosexuals/Bisexuals aren’t the enemy. After all, sombody’s sexuality is of no relevance to whether they are a patriot or not. Ok, we don’t support gay marriage but I hope it won’t be long before we officialy support civil partnerships like every other party in this country (a lot of BNP supporters already do) and Marine Le Pen who has changed her party’s stance too.

5. He seems like the BNPs version of Marine Le Pen.

6. He’s not quite Nick Griffin – and I trust him even less

7. Hodge Podge 2 May 2012, 11:44pm

What is there to say? Well done I suppose for including him, but never in a million years.

8. They’re supposed to be anti immigration and yet this man is an immigrant.

WTF do they actually stand for and why is this man so stupid as to be a part of such a party?

I think having generic questions for all the candidates has failed, especially in this case there were much better questions to ask this candidate about his party and party leader.

1. “Why is the British National Party standing a foreigner for Mayor of London?”

1. I can’t read that it’s too badly written, but if the BNP have truly realised that immigrants are just as able to contribute to society as any so called “indigenous” Briton then good for them. It’s a step forward.

1. What do you mean by so called “indigenous” ???

“Indigenous” is so much shorter than “Those mugs who are not entitled to the same things the government makes available to the so called ethnic ‘minorities’. * However we don’t blame ethnic minorities. ** Terms and conditions apply. *** We stay within the boundaries of the law and democracy. **** Our anger and offence may go up as well as down, but doesn’t count because it’s not against the law to offend whites. ***** Especially the male straight whites.”

1. Oh look there it is, the other face.

2. Hodge Podge 3 May 2012, 7:07pm

Yeahhhhhh problem is I don’t believe a word of it. Bunch of ex-NFers don’t suddenly become moderate right wingers who are just running against affirmative action.

2. Couldn’t agree more

9. The article is a lot fairer than most to the BNP.

However, there is something which is factually incorrect and should be corrected out of fairness to Nick Griffin and the BNP, especially because Nick is the leader of the BNP.

A claim is made that Nick Griffin finds gays “creepy” – that is not true.

I believe the author is referring to his answer he gave about gays on Question time.

Nick actually said “I find the sight of 2 men kissing creepy”

That is a lot different to finding gays creepy for just being gays.

Just because Nick finds 2 men kissing as “creepy” it doesn’t mean that he has an attitude much different to that of Carlos.

Thanks.

1. “Nick actually said “I find the sight of 2 men kissing creepy”

That is a lot different to finding gays creepy for just being gays.”

Yes but still homophobic. You ass.

1. Is not kissing you in public homophobic then?

10. AL i read was waffle, waflle, waffle!

11. Patrick Harrington 3 May 2012, 8:54am

I think that Nationalists can adopt liberal attitudes toward sexuality and it is refreshing for a senior BNP official to speak out like this. Extremist Islam is a threat to the progressive attitudes to sexuality all people of goodwill should seek to foster. Carlos will doubtless be attacked by some Nationalists both for responding to the interview and the answers he has given. Yet there are also many who will applaud and support his forthright stance. Whatever position one takes on the BNP I think that what he has said is a welcome step forward.

1. DJ Sheepiesheep 3 May 2012, 10:47pm

Is this “Strasser Harrington”, late of the National Front? Everyone, please beware of a Nationalist wolf with sound syntax, spelling and grammar.

1. DJ Sheepiesheep 4 May 2012, 3:26pm

Everyone, wake up! Harrington works for Nick Griffin as a staffer at the European Parliament.

1. People just aren’t interested in this thread. I think the thumbs up are coming from ppl who wouldn’t normally visit PN

12. Islamophobia””

No such thing. There are numerous perfectly good reasons to be against Islam.

Secondly, there can be no real attempts to get rid of the rift between the gay ‘community’ and the Muslim ‘community’. The only way the rift can be healed is if Muslims stop obsessing with homosexuality and, ideally, stop regarding it as a sin. You can’t not have a rift if person A thinks person B is immoral and sinful just because person B is gay, especially if person B isn’t ashamed of being gay.

1. Hodge Podge 3 May 2012, 7:09pm

I define Islamophobia as criticising it beyond that which is supported by the facts- that definitely occurs. Criticise it by all means, but don’t make out all Muslims are the same.

2. The thing that SamB says does not exist has its own wikipedia entry:

3. As if there is NO Christian homophobia. As if Christians don’t think person B is immoral and sinful just because person B is gay.

Have you been living under a rock.

13. now let’s poll how many lgbs find Nick Griffin creepy

14. Staircase2 3 May 2012, 6:54pm

Im not sure any of it actually made any sense…

It was all written to sound as if it addressed the questions but in fact answered none of them…

15. This doesn’t sound like a BNP candidate it sounds somewhat civil. I have a feeling that he only said this because of who he was speaking to and wouldn’t keep to any of this in reality.