Q&A: Paris Lees on launching trans magazine META

1. Helen Wilson 1 May 2012, 10:55am

We love Paris… but … not while she is around sharp kitchen implements :P

1. Hodge Podge 1 May 2012, 11:54am

yeah that picture was strange

2. Jen Marcus 1 May 2012, 12:59pm

“What we really need now is for happy, healthy successful trans people to stand up and say, Hello world; I’m having a great life – what’s the problem?”

While I agree with Paris’s statement,its pretty “damn” difficult to be ” successful and have a great life,” if you can’t even get a job,or a place to live,or lose family,friends , or a support system, and are subject to emotional and physical violence simply because you are transgender: The root cause lies with society, its laws and institutions marginalizing and discriminating against transgender people and that must first change to achieve the happy and successful life that she envisions and wishes to write about.

1. Paris Lees 1 May 2012, 8:56pm

I agree, it’s very difficult. I certainly didn’t mean to suggest that all trans people have it easy – I don’t know of any who do. I really hope, though, that be showing people who have overcome their struggles, we can inspire others who are dealing with their own difficulties. You are right when you say that trans people are systematically marginalised, and this is also true of the media. I passionately believe that be improving the way trans people are shown in the media, we can start to change people’s hearts and minds, and make the world a better place to live for trans people.

1. Paris Lees 1 May 2012, 9:01pm

*by

3. I really like the interview, and think Paris is a very cool lady, but two things bother me:
    – what’s with the super-triggering picture of Paris? Knife to the throat, really? I get that it’s probably an artistic statement, but just… kind of inappropriate. (Same goes for that hangman’s noose advert that this website keeps displaying.)
    – “you’d be hard pushed to find a trans person who doesn’t have some web access” – or maybe we just don’t hear from those trans people because, y’know, they /don’t have web access/? I worry that this comment erases trans people from economic backgrounds that don’t easily permit going online.

1. Paris Lees 1 May 2012, 9:00pm

I’m sorry you found the image with the knife triggering, it was an expression of how I was feeling about undergoing surgery. I hope that you can see that I an clearly in control of both the knife, and my senses, from the pose.
      Secondly, of course there are trans people who don’t have the internet, and it’s a real shame we can’t offer them a print version at the moment. I do a lot of work visiting local support groups and I’ve found that most people I’ve spoken to do at least have access through their local library. We’re doing the best we can with what we’ve got at META, and appreciate your continued support.

4. Sinnysinsins 1 May 2012, 4:49pm

I really like her hair, and her comments are great too. Intelligent woman, that.