Scotland: Pro-equality and anti-equality faith groups both step up campaign

1. Faith is not universally accepted, nor universally agreed upon by those that do have it. This debunks the faith argument completely.

Unless the government wants to declare that all religions are equal, but some are more equal than others…

1. And your point is…?

2. How much faith do you need and what constitutes a group? I’m in a faith group with my partner – we have faith in each other.

3. As I said on another thread if the leaflet is delivered by hand I’ll be handing it back and asking them not to come to my door again. Likewise I’ll be asking friends/family to consider the same.

On the issue of the mobile ads, they’re the usual nonsense. One side urges voters to check the council election candidates view on marriage equality before placing their vote. I’m sure for the majority of people they care more about what the Council will be doing for THEM, rather than a single issue of marriage equality.. The other is a slogan along lines of “Don’t let ministers interfere with marriage” accompanied with a picture of man and woman looking shocked while man with a rose stands between them, hand out as if to interfere. No details at all on how exactly this interference is actually put into practice. The usual, all show, no substance

1. rosette*

4. It seems so ridiculous when these religions are going on and on about the sanctity of marriage and how important it is to society and stability and at the same time trying desperately to stop some peopl getting married! make up your minds for gods sake!

5. Dr Robin Guthrie 30 Apr 2012, 10:41pm

These people are NOT christians.

When they use our minority status they fail to remember the biblical story of the lost sheep.

According to the Gospels of Matthew (18:12-14) and Luke (15:3-7), Jesus told a story of a shepherd who left his flock to find one lost sheep because he cared about that one lost sheep as much as he cared about those 99 others.

The shepherd did not say, “Forget that sheep. It’s just one, and I have 99 others.”

No, the shepherd looked for that sheep until he found it.

Not that I belive in any of this tripe, but given these people claim to, why do they not adhere to it?

“Cherry picking”:- suppressing evidence, or the fallacy of incomplete evidence is the act of pointing to individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position, while ignoring a significant portion of related cases or data that may contradict that position.

6. The argument for marriage equality in *law,* that does not infringe upon anyone’s religious belief, is irrefutable. All that is left is bigotry.

7. The Catholics cannot be allowed once again to force the hand of government to discriminate against gay people and nonconformists (Quakers, Unitarians, MCC, liberal Jews, reform Jews, humanists, urc) purely for the whims of a backward looking doddery old fool on the Vatican throne.

1. Avalokiteshvara 1 May 2012, 12:33am

Don’t forget the Buddhists! Glad to see them standing up for us too!

8. I don’t understand how stupid religious people can be. No religion owns marriage there in Scotland (UK). Same sex marriage does NOT infringe on anyone’s religion and beliefs if religious people/buildings aren’t required to perform same sex marriages- it affects LGB people’s freedom of religion and beliefs. I hope that politicians don’t listen to religious people that should be minding their own business.

1. “If I lived in Scotland, I’d take the leaflet they sent me, and ask for it from other people, and make a huge bonfire and sit around talking about LGB stuff!”

Yeah, just like in Opernplatz, Berlin 1933.

Be sure you add all medical science books on Gender Identity Disorder to that pile too, or anything else you “don’t agree” with that you “learned on the internet”.

Fool.

1. I’m bloody glad that Lumi doesn’t live here in Scotland. We have more than enough bigots already!

9. The battle against injustice, bigotry and homophobia will be won!

10. I really hope the Scot Gov will see how many people want marriage equality and go ahead with it. They are supposed to be announcing their decision in late spring and it’s now the 1st of May. I’ve got a feeling they’re holding off until after the council elections so as not to upset potential voters, whatever their decision.

11. I’m getting really really really sick and tired of religion.

12. George Broadhead 1 May 2012, 9:38am

“any proposed legislation would protect and extend religious liberties by giving those religious and humanist bodies that do want to conduct same-sex marriage the right to do so.”

It’s good that the Humanists are included,
    though they certainly have no “faith” in the religious sense.

I understand that the Humanist Society of Scotland is also in the Faith Marriage Alliance though this is not mentioned in the PN report.

1. Tim Hopkins 1 May 2012, 11:20am

Yes the Humanist Society of Scotland is involved in this campaign, because they conduct legally effective marriages in Scotland under the “religious marriage” law. They conduct more marriages than any religious body except the Church of Scotland, including more than the Catholic Church does.

1. It really annoys me that the catholic church gets so much publicity on this issue and the views of the humanists hardly any in comparison when there are actually more humanist weddings than catholic weddings in Scotland these days.

1. On the plus side BBC Scotland News did a quick bit in the late night bulletin about the pro-equality group without mentioning the other side at all

1. Yes, I saw that on the BBC news in Reporting Scotland’s 6:30pm evening programme. I was pleasantly surprised to see a pro-marriage equality campaign getting some airtime on the news for a change.

2. I meant to add in my last comment that even with the likes of the report on Reporting Scotland last night, the anti-marriage equality side have still got a lot more coverage in the news. It’s so frustrating as I feel it makes it seem like they have much more support than they actually have in reality.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 1 May 2012, 1:44pm

BennieM, totally agree. It’s not unlike the C4M petition. The figures they have collected look somewhat impressive but as a percentage of the entire UK population, it’s a drop in the sea and translates to only 0.08% of the population, mostly people who are religious, bigoted, self-loathing or all three, and we all know, the percentage of religious people in the UK is barely significant. Now if those signatures were 10 million or more, then maybe that would be cause for concern, but that’s not going to happen. That’s why the haters were demanding a referendum. How a minority of people expect that to happen is delusional. I wonder how they’d react if there were a push-back to demand a referendum banning state religion and their funding by taxpayers? They’d be screaming a different tune.

13. Robert in S. Kensington 1 May 2012, 12:28pm

I’m fed up with the coverage the bloody catholic cult is getting lately. It’s a minority cult after all. Who do they think they are? Haven’t they heard about the reformation or are they just pig-ignorant? It’s no longer the state cult, thankfully.

14. Bisexual woman in Edinburgh 1 May 2012, 2:39pm

I thought Reform Judaism had officially come out in favour of equal marriage – why aren’t they on the list?

1. Robert in S. Kensington 1 May 2012, 5:38pm

True, both Liberal and Reformed Judaism. I hope they all band together across the UK and make some really loud noise about it. This time, their freedom of religion is definitely being abused by the the extremist cults.