David Furnish calls marriage equality the ‘next great civil rights battle’

1. And like with our current generation in regards to women/black rights, future generations will look back with shock and disgust that it took so long and we had to fight so hard….

1. Robert in S. Kensington 30 Apr 2012, 12:34pm

Except the older generation will remain unconvinced. They will die not ever seeing those polygamous, incestuous or bestial relationships take root as C4M and its gang of hatemongers alluded to. We will be able to look back and point our fingers at them and call them what they are: LIARS, BIGOTS, HYPOCRITES and HATEMONGERS!!!!

2. Kay from NZ 30 Apr 2012, 11:43am

An end to violence and bullying of trans people and queer youth are greater priorities. Marriage and adoption equality should be promoted as part of a campaign for legal equality but not number one. Too many LGBTIQ youth are bullied, beaten, abused, suicidal, homeless and addicted – they won’t live long enough to have a civil partnership OR a marriage!

1. It’s a “chicken or the egg” type scenario. Do we embark to make it acceptable in the eyes of the public to be gay in order to make it be acceptable in the eyes of people personally, or do we make it acceptable in the eyes of people personally in order to make it become acceptable in the eyes of the public. Personally, I don’t think that either option should be prioritized, but instead both should be worked upon simultaneously

2. the agenda is being pushed by white middle class men they don’t care about thepoorer working class people who are more likely to encounter violence. they really don’t care

1. No, they don’t. Unfortunately you’re dead right, James!, middle class white men have far greater power (straight or gay) than any other group. That’s why people like Furnish think gay marriage is ‘the next big human rights cause’ and people were so gooey about that ‘equality for white men’ Homecoming video. They are quite incorrect – trans rights are the next big human rights fight, but unfortunately so many of the white middle class men of which you speak won’t stand up for anything other than their own rights.

1. What keeps most poor poor is their belief they have no choice in life. Watch Billy Elliot again and act. Action not words my dear friends. Rise above your limited view of possibilities. And white middle class man are not fighting for themselves but for all of us. I am one of them. Do your part.

2. Marriage equality has nothing to do with trans people then or women or anyone other than a middle class white male?

1. Of course it does – the marriage equality debates/changes are good for all! It’s the depictions in the campaigns that are wrong. That and the power base!

2. That wasn’t my point. My point was about who ‘controls’ the fight for equal rights, and which rights are prioritised. And whose are so far behind lesbian and gay rights. Bisexual rights are further behind. Trans rights are at the back of the bus. Furnish is coming out on the side of white gay males – unsurprising because he is one. ANd people listen, and canvas him, because he’s Elton’s other half. I’d love it if Elton of David came out for a cause that wasn’t about white, middle class males. Same for the C4EM blokes – great what they’ve done, but now show me it’s not about middle class white blokes leveraging middle class white blokes.

3. I was very bullied as a child both emotionally and physically. But I was lucky because I was able to walk away from it. I had supportive family and had the strength not to even attempt to take my own life. But that’s not to say my childhood wasn’t miserable because of this, it was. The largest part of my childhood memories are marred by the constant bullying…Why was I bullied? Because I was small? No! Because I was a girl? No! Because I was gay/lesbian?……No! It was simply because I was quiet and kept myself to myself.

Children will ALWAYS find reasons to bully other children. I am not saying it’s right, far from it. Even now I find myself emotionally reminded of it and at times can be very paranoid because of what happened!

What I am saying is we have to change things where we can, including such things as the right to marry WHO we want and adopt! And with that, as we are excepted in those areas, things will change in others.

1. But it will NEVER completely vanish because, as I said, bullies will always find a reason! We as women have rights, but still get bullied for being female, black and asian people have rights, but are still abused and bullied for the colour of their skin, and even once we as gay people have FULL rights as humans will still be abused and bullied.

3. Robert in S. Kensington 30 Apr 2012, 12:30pm

David Furnish is Canadian. Though he and Elton John are in a CP, I suggest he take Elton to Canada, get married, then return to the UK to make a strong argument for equal civil marriage equality proving that they had to leave the country for something they should be entitled to at home in the UK. You can’t change the wording in a certificate of marriage. Nowhere does it state that it’s a CP even though it will be downgraded to one. Notice the silence of Elton John who opposed equal marriage not so long ago, arguably another Ben Bradshaw.

4. Wait. Didn’t Elton John say that marriage wasn’t important? That they didn’t need it?

1. Probably why they didn’t go to Elton John for a news story then…

1. Robert in S. Kensington 30 Apr 2012, 1:43pm

Yes, it does make one wonder.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 30 Apr 2012, 1:43pm

A couple of years or so ago, he said CPs were sufficient and he took some flack for that here at Pink News. I’m only hoping he’s evolved since then. Furnish seems to have had. John ought to speak out if he really cares enough about it? Even if he doesn’t think it’s necessary, he still shouldn’t oppose it and should still speak out in support, regardless.

1. There was a story in the Scottish edition of the Sun yesterday which quoted Elton John. It said his remarks were made in 2005 and he said,

“If gay people want to get married or get together, they should have a civil partnership. The word ‘marriage’, I think, puts a lot of people off.”

The story itself was about a group called Scotland for Marriage which has spent £40,000 on a campaign against marriage equality, including leafleting every single house in Glasgow ahead of the council elections this coming Thursday.

Also, Cardinal O’Brien claimed in recent days, although not in this Sun article, that the response to the Scottish Government’s consultation on marrige equality was 2 to 1 against it.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 30 Apr 2012, 4:35pm

Thanks for posting. I knew he wasn’t for equal marriage. I feel vindicated.

O’Brien can skew the numbers all he wants. Those in opposition are not the majority of those who aren’t.

1. Robert, you’re spot on about O’Brien skewing the numbers, I just hope that if his figures are true (and they may not be) the Scot Gov won’t get spooked by the responses and decide to drop it.

The SNP have a tendency to drop/formulate policies for their own advantage – such as when they dropped their long standing bus re-regulation policy just after Souter gave them half a million quid. In fact, they have been recently debating another long standing policy on NATO membership in order to win over voters to independence.

They’ve also apparently dropped their long standing policy on a referendum on the monarchy if Scotland becomes independent because they think it’ll turn off voters.

So the SNP are willing to do what it takes to get votes/money/power. If they think the public are 2 to 1 against marriage equality, I fear they could decide not to proceed with it. They won’t do anything that might harm their chances for the independence referendum.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 30 Apr 2012, 6:25pm

Interesting, Bennie. Well, if the worst were to happen, does Salmond really think he’ll attract gay voters? I doubt it, independence or not. I just don’t understand why a minority of people in Scotland (those opposing equal marriage) could have that much influence. If he’s stupid enough to listen to them then he can forget about independence, among other things.

3. If Salmond honestly believed that more people were against marriage equality than in favour of it, then I have no doubt he’d drop the issue in a second as he wouldn’t want to lose potential SNP voters.

If it was the other way around and twice as many people were in favour of it, then Salmond would be driving through the legislation for marriage equality at lightspeed!

Maybe I’m too cynical about it, but politicians in general, and particularly the SNP, tend to do what they think will get them votes and power, not what is right.

The SNP in particular are trying to get all the votes they can at the moment with the independnce referendum coming up in 2014. They’ll do and say anything to convince people to vote for independence. I even heard one SNP supporter claim that there would be no poverty if Scotland became independent!

So I fear the Scot Gov’s decision on marriage equality may come down to numbers and they’ll go with whatever they think will get them the most votes.

5. Why ‘the next great battle’? Isn’t it the current one?

1. Robert in S. Kensington 30 Apr 2012, 1:44pm

Exactly?

6. It is evil people who stop others from having equal rights and freedoms, like the white Christians who stopped the blacks from being equal in America and other places, even today in the world. The Gay Civil Rights Movement is the next great battle for equality in the world.

7. homodeviance kills 30 Apr 2012, 5:02pm

Next week. George Michael fights for cottaginging rights. Surely the right for homodeviants to infest our public toilets is a civil one?

1. Go the Hell, you self-loathing closet case. Why kind of person gets their perverse sexual gratification by lurking on gay blogs pretending they hate the thing they’re clearly obsessed with: gay sex? It fascinates you, doesn’t it? It keeps you awake at night while you try to ignore the throb it gives you in your naughty bits. You’re as transparent as you are pathetic, sweetie.

1. homodeviance kills 30 Apr 2012, 5:20pm

Does not the exterminator seek out the infestation?

1. Go and exterminate the person in the mirror

1. I don’t care how much of a troll someone is, you don’t tell someone to kill themselves over the comments he’s made. Unless he says straight out gay people should be beaten/killed, then I support you telling him that LOL

2. It doesn’t have to mean kill yourself you cretinous, transphobic bigot .

He could just take a look in the mirror and change the vileness that stares back at him. The person in the mirror is often used in literature and film to symbolically represent an inner darkness in a person.

What exactly is so funny you have to LaughOutLoud???

3. Okay…… riiiiiight. You’re just covering your tracks now. I know exactly what you meant, and you know exactly what you meant

Exterminate- to get rid of completely usually by killing off

Pretty pathetic that you have to result to insultling me, especially about something that I didn’t even mention in this thread

I LOL’ed because I felt like it! (It was more of a chuckle, but whatever)

4. You have the IQ of a rock so you will of course only be able to see one possible meaning in anything. Like you can only see the world from your point of view and can not imagine what it is to be transgender.

I will bring up your transphobia because it disgusts me and you, by extension, disgust me as much as Keith, Aiden, Ken or any other horrible little troll.

2. “Does not the exterminator seek out the infestation?”

LOL! YOU????? Seriously, you’re a spineless cowardly sack of crap Keith. And even and infestation of diseased rats has more decency, intelligence and morality than you.

Deleted comments much?

2. Robert in S. Kensington 30 Apr 2012, 6:26pm

Clay, he should read the article in which he might find out something about himself.

2. Somebody is a closet case! *cough*homodeviance kills*cough*

It’s a shame you’re such an ignorant idiot

1. “It’s a shame you’re such an ignorant idiot”

As it is a shame you are gay and a transphobic bigot. As Joss quite rightly said, “your transphobia because it disgusts me and you, by extension, disgust me as much as Keith, Aiden, Ken or any other horrible little troll.”

He’s right you know, you’re a vile individual with the intellect and moral centre of a cow pat.

1. Hodge Podge 1 May 2012, 12:06pm

I agree, but I question if shouting at people will change their mind

3. Robert in S. Kensington 30 Apr 2012, 6:22pm

Hmmm, so what about the heterosexual deviants diddling underage girls and raping women, another deviant hetero phenomenon. How many gay men are in prison for raping other males compared to heteros? What about that other deviant hetero phenomenon, adultery? Scumbag!

8. Next battle? Where has he been for the last 15+ years? This has been the major civil rights issue in every industrial democracy in the world since the 1990s.

9. Spanner1960 30 Apr 2012, 5:19pm

Sorry mate, but shut the hell up.
    Same sex marriage is not a ‘battle’ – it’s not even a squabble by to schoolgirls over who’s got the best Justin Bieber pencil case.

Even Furnish has got drawn in by the Church’s propaganda.
    Let’s just make it clear here:
    NOBODY GIVE A FLYING RAT’S ARSE.

Same-sex marriage in the UK is on. No ifs, no buts. The only people squabbling about it are the Christians. Even the Muslims don’t want to get involved. It’s a done deal – All that is left is for somebody to lick the bloody envelope.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 30 Apr 2012, 6:31pm

And only 0.007% of the people out of a total population of 60 million are squabbling about it, the majority of them religious addicts. They’re going nowhere. C4M’s 473,000+ signatures aren’t going to do it either. They’d need at least 10-20 million to have any serious impact.

2. @ Spanner1960

While the UK Government is planning to legislate for marriage equality in England & Wales, you must remember that the Scottish Government have not yet made a decision whether to proceed with it.

They have said all along that they “tend towards” it but will make no decision until they have heard all views and analysed the responses to their consultation. As I said in an earlier comment, Cardinal O’Brien has claimed that the responses to the consultation were 2 to 1 against marriage equality. So it is still possible that the Scottish Government could still decide NOT to proceed with legislation for marriage equality.

It may be pessimistic of me, but I just won’t be able to relax on this issue until I hear the Scot Gov announce that they’re definately going ahead with it.

1. Spanner1960 30 Apr 2012, 11:04pm

Well sorry to throw this one at you sunshine but it was your lot that voted for devolution. You made your bed, now you will have to lie in it and paddle your own canoe.

10. I definitely agree. Same sex marriage is inevitable, as there is no legitimate reason against it.

1. I agree that it’s a civil rights battle. While some of us don’t want marriage equality (those that don’t want it are self-loathing IMO), most of us do want it,

11. Suddenly Last Bummer 30 Apr 2012, 6:55pm

State the obvious much?

12. Uhmm yeah… we kind of knew this already didn’t we? LOL

A little late are we, Mr Furnish?

1. Mr Furnish has recently realised he might have a career ‘sans Elton’ and is flexing his voice.

13. I wonder how Elton feels about his partner, David Furnish, contradicting him? There’ll tears and tantrums.

14. And Elton John is benefiting from this battle by whoring himself out as a wedding singer to extremist homophobic monsters like Rush Limbaugh.

Way to keep it classy, Reg.