Video preview: When Julie Bindel met Paris Lees

1. Julie Bindel – Professional mouth (so controversy is in her “job” description), and an embarrassment.

It is not my instinct to pay forward bigotry and intolerance. I’m a lesbian, I know what it’s like, why on earth would I want to turn around and attack another, smaller, minority? It makes no sense to me at all.

People who are transgender do not affect my life, they do not harm me in any way, they have no influence over me and I have no influence over them.

We tend to co-exist under the LGBT banner, although many T people are not LGB at all (although many pass through the community in the process of self discovery), because we tend to have things like discrimination and bigotry in common. I know that Equality and fair treatment is not a zero sum issue.

What Bindel does to them is exactly what was once done to LGB people – manufacturing outrage and trying to colour them as a legitimate target for attack. It is wrong-minded to do this and there is no justification for it.

1. Paula Thomas 27 Apr 2012, 11:43am

Spot on and as a member of the trans community, thanks

1. I agree. Well said Valksy. There is something emotionally arrested about people like Ms. Bindel who spend their lives making other people miserable. It’s a like mental illness in itself masquerading as intellectualism.

2. Agreed! The whole LGBT divisionary thing just astounds me. Is it not enough to have the mainstream media attacking us, do we really have to turn on each other? How does being a cisgendered gay person make you more ‘worthy’ than someone who wishes to change their gender? If that kind of discrimination is acceptable, doesn’t that then mean we should be accepting of religious discrimination against us? Being a religious heterosexual nut is part of their identity after all.

Live and let live I say. We all dream of having a happy and problem-free life, so we should all be supporting each other in achieving that.

2. Robert Brown 27 Apr 2012, 12:35pm

I have heard Ms Bindel’s comments on trans, homosexuality (nature or nurture) and other issues such as gay men and HIV / AIDS and to be honest I think she really needs to have a few more articles written about her . . . in the most ‘positive’ way of course . . . maybe then she’ll understand the ammunition she is giving to the right-wing lobby . . .

She described gender reassignment as ‘self mutilation’ and that we are ‘not born gay’ . . .

She may not have been . . . however, I was certainly born gay and hope to be so again in my next life . . .

It would be great if she was interviewed and challenged on her views more often for the LGB and T community can see, hear and read of her actual viewpoints.

1. Agreed. I was mostly certainly born this way – whether it is a genetic or the outcome of some in utero event is irrelevant – it never once occurred to me at any point during my life to be anything other than who I am. I never had so much as one single doubt or question that I wanted to be with other women.

I would like Bindel to keep her projections to herself. Maybe she made a choice , perhaps for her it was some big “feminist” statement. But they only way there is any truth in that is if she is bisexual. You make no statement if it was always you orientation any way. To reinforce her beliefs, she has a personal investment in repeating her truth as the truth for ALL gay people and that is some damned sloppy thinking for someone who styles themselves as an intellectual.

2. 2 champers sips to being a diva 27 Apr 2012, 10:32pm

To me, Bindel looked defensive and uncomfortable. She abuses other minorities for the sake of journalistic renown methinks. Her trans comments are so pathetic now that we have more understanding and outspokenness from trans persons. What a cranky cow.

3. I don’t like this woman at all and that’s not going to change no matter how much she skirts over her past transphobia. She doesn’t seem very sincere in her excuses to me. And transphobic radical feminists have often used her work to incite hatred against trans women in particular.

1. Jen Marcus 28 Apr 2012, 1:10pm

I am a feminist and a lesbian and these “Janice Raymond” type lesbian or straight feminists totally “piss me off!” Its really ignorant and sad that one oppressed and marginalized minority oppresses another .We should be all be united and standing as one against our real small minded, bigoted, “bible thumping”, “het” misogynist oppressors!

4. Hodge Podge 27 Apr 2012, 10:47pm

Paris is awesome, that must have been uncomfortable. It shows we’ve made progress in the past decade.

5. Bit stupid commenting on it, as the interview is behind a paywall.

However I can guess what sort of bigotry Bindel would have come out with.

6. Helen Wilson 1 May 2012, 10:49am

Having watched the full interview only one part of it made me shudder. Bindel even apologises for her infamous Guardian article.

I felt the interview showed a more human side to Julie and the opening question and her response left my jaw on the ground.

She still fails to get the need for hormone blockers for trans youth, but her position has moved somewhat on trans issues.

Watch the full video before making a judgement.

1. To be honest I think I’ve had a gutfull of Bindel’s views. I have no interest in anything she says any more. She may be mellowing with age, but that doesn’t reverse the damage she has done to the LGBT community in the past.

1. Helen Wilson 2 May 2012, 9:50pm

I think we have to be fair to her… she has moved a long way from her old mindset. She has even indicated she may well fit within the modern definition of trans herself and accepted trans women like myself as lesbians.

We need to carry on engaging her in discussion… Rome was not built in a day and she is now on a completely different level of trans understanding than three years ago. We must not resort to cheap insults you see on every article she writes… Engaging her on the issues is the best way.

Yes she can be frustrating at times… but… she is at least open to debate unlike many trans opponents. I always find debating her easy because I stay off the personal attacks and stick to the facts and the science.

I’ve even managed to defend her on other issues… I wont let other people use trans people as the ammunition to dismiss her views with.

1. Sarah Lambert 3 May 2012, 6:14pm

A relative movement in her views away from the extreme radfem position is only to be welcomed if it presages a continuing movement and eventual arrival at a position of neutrailty if not support for transsexual people. As long as she maintains the view that transsexual people have invalid identities, she will remain a threat to our integrity and safety within society. (Please note that most of her historical approbium is reserved for transsexual people, somewhat less for citizens of the wider transgender umbrella.)