Comment: Gay does not mean paedophile

1. Paula Thomas 27 Apr 2012, 11:28am

It astonishes me the the US can claim to be the ‘Home of the Free’.

Looked at from a European prospective (never mind a British one) this kind of treatment seems inhuman, something out of the 1950’s, rather than modern.

Quite, quite, ignorant.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 27 Apr 2012, 12:42pm

Religion is at the root of it in America. Just look at the makeup of their republican party for starters. You can’t become president unless you profess a religious belief. Without it, you destroy your political career. Weird for a country that is supposed to have separation of church and state.

1. Guglielmo Marinaro 27 Apr 2012, 1:20pm

Yes, you’re absolutely right. Any candidate for the presidency who declared himself/herself an atheist, or even an agnostic, would be simply a non-starter.

2. Home of the free, only if you are straight!

1. and white!

3. The US rightly claims to be the ‘Home of the Free’ they take their freedoms more seriously than anyone else. Its citizens have a constitutionally enshrined right to freedom of association, it is not for any branch of government to tell its citizens who they must or must not associate with.

The abuse of that right is sad and regrettable but the US does remain the ‘Home of the Free’

1. Commander Thor 27 Apr 2012, 6:34pm

Unless you are a white person who does not want to associate with black people by travelling on the same bus. Then the state does tell you who to associate with.

Misquotation alert: this post contains irony.

1. Traveling on the same bus as someone is not association with them. I fail to see the irony.

2. Actually the UK has a lot more “freedoms” for LGBT people, we cannot be sacked for our colour, religion, orientation, freedom against hate crime, freedom against religion (mostly). Shocking to hear that President Obama refused to sign that Presidential Order protecting the LGBT against dismissal.

1. Those are protections not freedoms. UK citizens, LGBT or otherwise, have far more protections than US citizens.

Presidents Obamas refusal to use his constitutional powers reveals his true priorities. Disappointing as it may be it is hardly shocking. If he wanted to do it he could have done it immediately after being sworn in.

2. David Myers 28 Apr 2012, 11:12am

Obama has done more for the GLBTQ community than any other president in history. He declined to issue the presidential decree because, like with the Don’t Ask Don’t Tell repeal, he believes it is far more powerful and ultimately winning to remove DADT by legislation in Congress than presidential decree which can easily be reversed by the next president’s decree. Change made through the political/legislative process are far more durable. He needs to get re-elected and have a Democratic congress and senate in order to do more such as repealing the defense of marriage act and passing the law that protects LGBT from dismissal because of the sexual orintation. Obama has earned GLBTQ support and we all need to keep the reactionary right, that the Republican party has become, from winning this upcoming election.

2. de Villiers 27 Apr 2012, 12:16pm

Whilst I agree with the contents of the article, its expression and language are appalling.

1. So there ;) Yes, it was like a bad school essay. Sad because there are some important points in there.

3. Great point, poorly worded.

“Furthermore, recent research revealed that lesbian parents were actually less likely to abuse their children. So there.” – There’s a painfully obvious “but” hidden in there which made this, as a gay man myself, awkward to read.

This was an unenjoyable read due to the poor articulation.

1. the whole tone iswrong. imagine a black magazine saying not all black peopleare theives. this site is questionable

4. I am sick to my stomach when I see acts of violence against children used by the anti-gay lobby to further their agenda. It treats a serious and deeply dangerous issue in the most despicable manner, as a political poker chip.

Simple truth – Most child abuse is male adult on female child. It tends to happen within family units. From this, do we try and infer that ALL heterosexual men are potential paedophiles? Of course we bloody don’t.

In terms of victims who are not related or within a family unit, the next criteria is availability of victim. The gender of the victim is less an operating factor than the age.

It is much easier for an adult male to obtain access to adolescent males than it is to manufacture access to adolescent females. No one is surprised by a male sports coach going in to a male locker room, something that would be accepted if they accessed a female locker room. The issue is one of opportunity and access, not gender.

5. Guglielmo Marinaro 27 Apr 2012, 1:56pm

For some time now, I had thought that the gay=paedophile myth was all but dead, except among abnormally ignorant and illiterate people. It turns out that I was wrong. At least one member of Anglican Mainstream [sic] is still trying to promote it. See some of the comments on last week’s Sunday Telegraph article about Mike Davidson, who runs the Northern Ireland “ex-gay” outfit, Core Issues Trust:

6. I want to become a teacher. I want to become a teacher because I know it is something I’m good at, because teachers are desperately needed (especially in my topic, maths) and because I eventually want to become an Ed Psych.

Know what the number one thing that makes me seriously consider not perusing that career path? Its not funding, or because I don’t have enough grades or their aren’t jobs. Its because of the homophobia inherent in the education system. I did work experience when I was younger at a primary school and was told in no uncertain terms that because I’m male, if a child shows any form of affection towards me, such as grabbing onto my legs (as children do), I am to push them away. I’m not to show any affection towards them when parents are around as it makes them uncomfortable. That’s just because I’m male, never mind gay.

1. I’ve heard number horror stories of students bricking their gay teachers cars and gay teachers being passed over for promotions or constructively dismissed in the teaching profession but know what? F’ em. We need teachers, I want to teach. If the school i start off in cant handle the fact that I like cock instead of pussy then I’ll just move to a school that’ll appreciate me because there are schools out there, a growing group, that are actually challenging homophobia in the classroom.

One thing is absolutely for certain though… I’ll NEVER work at a Catholic school! lol

1. Fr. Mike Donaghy 15 Aug 2012, 1:52am

Hi Alex, I’m a teacher and I’m Gay (out of the closet) and I’m a Catholic priest …. but Oh Wow … I’ve had a breakdown through the paranoia and homophobia I have encountered with management in schools. You must be brave and live your life to the full but be careful too – I think I went a bit over the top – but you know – many pupils have nominated me as their favourite teacher! God knows why! Good luck! Mike.

2. Alex, all teachers have worries and paranoia about physical contact with children no matter what their gender. Sad but true. Don’t let this put you off teaching – especially not Primary teaching where there’s often a shortage of male teachers.

7. Janet Lameck 27 Apr 2012, 4:12pm

I was a Boy Scout and a Scout leader here in Canada for many years. Before my job and changing sex took me out of it.

8. Britons are now indeed protected from discrimination, but if the reverse “sounds like something from the Victorian Era” to British ears then the collective British memory is extraordinarily short.

This isn’t just a quibble on the article’s wording. The positive point to be made is that sweeping change has occurred in Britain within just a few years. Is there any reason why the same change should not sweep through North America too in the coming years? Helped, of course, by the work of groups such as change.org .

9. I think that the statisitcs are a straight married man is more likely to be a peadophile than a gay counterpart!

1. Robert in S. Kensington 27 Apr 2012, 6:46pm

U.S. government sex crime statistics point to more paedophilia crimes committed against underage girls than boys apparently. But even that doesn’t necessarily mean that one orientation is more inclined than the other, although it would appear to be. 99.9% of rape in America is however perpetrated by heterosexuals, mostly against females.

2. FranklyBewildered 27 Apr 2012, 9:01pm

Not according to the stats trolls like Keith read!!!!

3. i remember doing one from the police and they said “pick the peadophiile” and most people went for the dirty looking older man, when it was in fact the attractive young lad … really made me stop and rethink my perceptions of people.

10. I agree gay does not mean pedophile. There are pedophiles that are heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual. In fact, most pedophiles are heterosexual and even a lot of pedophiles that go after children of the same gender identify as heterosexual.

I for one am not attracted to children, I in fact only like women older than me, 1-18 years (preferably 2-10)

There’s also nothing wrong with homosexuals or bisexuals being near children or raising children

Pedophilia is DISGUSTING and WRONG, and it’s inhumane to think people are pedos based on orientation

Boy Scouts is pathetic. There is NO reason why homosexual/ bisexual people can’t be members or serve in it

11. Commander Thor 27 Apr 2012, 6:33pm

I wouldn’t leave a religious nuttie unsupervised with my children.

12. To the people that say they wouldn’t want a homosexual/bisexual with children

I don’t want religious people with children

13. It’s funny, straight men rape and abuse women and children every day, and yet no one ever thinks this should in anyway reflect on heterosexual men as a whole.

14. Then you have the choice not to enroll your child in that scout camp. I think you are wrong, but I won’t deny you the right to be wrong. You’re entitled to your opinion, and you have every right to be offended – but what you don’t have is the right NOT to be offended. I don’t understand why homophobes are treated like spoilt only children and pandered to at the expense of all others. I have a friend who is a die hard vegan and who is uncomfortable watching others eat the flesh of murdered animals – she has every right to order the vegetarian option, but she can’t snatch the burger out of my hands.

15. The anti gay Christians, Catholics and Mormons spread lies and black propaganda about LGBT people to make them look bad. That is their psychologicl warfare that they are using to destroy gays. The truth is it is the Catholic priest are pedophiles and the Catholics are pointing their finger at gays to take the attention off of the Christians crimes.

16. i don’t agree with the term “straighties” it makes you sound hateful.

17. Straights and society have never been able to distinguish between paedophilia and homosexuality.

We have been tarnished with the same brush.

Some very strong education is needed here.