Methodist conference to discuss equal marriage and gay clergy

1. Robert in S. Kensington 27 Apr 2012, 12:19am

A step forward, good to hear.

2. This must be different from the Methodist Church of Britain and Ireland as they already have openly gay clergy.

3. I love “gay” marriage. It really has made people talk and think about gay people. No more brushing us under the carpet and no more hiding behind words like all people are welcome here, god loves everyone etc etc.

4. I was a United Methodist pastor for 25 years, when I came to terms with my sexuality I gave up my orders so that I could have an open and honest relationship with my partner of seven years. There are many UM clergy and laypeople who support the GLBT community. But here is the rub…the UM’s numbers are over whelming in the southeastern part of the US, which is very conservative. The power of the general conference rests in the southeast and trust me, you haven’t seen politics like what goes on behind close doors in Methodist circles. I applaud the UM’s who are pushing for greater openness…but it not going to happen. I am now a layperson in the Episcopal Church, on any given Sunday open Gay and Lesbian clergy serve at the altar and guess what? No one gives a fig.

1. Dr Robin Guthrie 27 Apr 2012, 9:27am

Why worship a God that hates you?

1. Yeah, just worship a different one, right?

2. stevemd2 church 29 Apr 2012, 12:38am

So split the church/ the american baptists support gay people and I think they are doing gay marriages. They left the southern baptist evangelicals over the issue of equality / ordination for women.

I’m a str8 guy but women should rule the world. God save me if the wife comes down here and sees what she will call hypocrisy.
      Wonder how many wars women would start.

Maybe its time that all us str8 guys start wearing skirts or become metro sexuals (str8s who act and dress gay. Washington DC is filled with them.

5. When I walk past Uniting Churches here in Australia , there are more and more female Ministers listed on the noticeboards! Wonderful news all round! The hijack of the Christian church by fundamentalist heterosexual males is one of the great crimes of humanity!

1. stevemd2 church 29 Apr 2012, 12:39am

I think thats the same united church in canada responsible for gay marriage

And the united church of christ in the USA who were one of the first churches to support it here.

6. jamestoronto 27 Apr 2012, 11:52am

Just a point of information, Washington, D.C. is NOT a state. It is the federal district of the US government and is subservient to the Congress, a body which ironically did not disallow the equal marriage law passed by the district’s assembly (which it has the power to do).

Yes, Washington D. C. has equal marriage. But, no, it is not a state. Washington state, on the other hand, has equal marriage legislatively but this is subject to a soon-to-be-held referendum.

Until both jurisdictions are soundly the same legally, it may be wise to veer away from any Washingtons as an example. There are all kind of north-eastern states to use.

7. jamestoronto 27 Apr 2012, 12:01pm

The Methodist Church in Canada split (schism??) in the 1920s to become part of the United Church of Canada. From what I have been able to ascertain, those who identify as Methodist (old and new) are quite reformed and support gay rights including equal marriage.

As far as I know the Methodist Church that continued after the Union is anti-gay but I completely stand to be corrected id this is not true.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 27 Apr 2012, 1:55pm

jamestoronto, from a Canadian perspective, did Canada experience as much religious zealotry against equal civil marriage as we’re seeing here in the UK? I’d be interested to know and how was it countered before marriage equality passed? It would be greatly appreciated if you could share that with us.