US: Poll finds majority support for equal marriage

1. It is sad that many black people don’t feel solidarity with another discriminated-against group.

1. Dr Robin Guthrie 26 Apr 2012, 2:13am

This is due to the fact that the black community are mostly religious.

Religions poison has infected them.

Why do you think Cable channels are awash with black evangelical goons, spouting “Jesus Saves”.

It makes them many a dollar

2. I agree you would think my fellow black members could relate to the indifferance.

2. Maybe 47% is a “majority” in England, or maybe it’s a metric thing but here in the US, where we still use the English system of measure, 47% isn’t a majority but a plurality. :)

1. Its is a majority if 47 percent of people are in favour with 43 percent opposed. The remaining 10% is not counted as either. ergo, the majority of the people are in favour.

2. Tim Hopkins 26 Apr 2012, 9:25am

We don’t use the term “plurality” in that sense in the UK. I think both yours and Will’s positions are arguable using UK terminology! Here in Scotland the best available info is that 61% support same-sex marriage and 19% oppose, with the others saying they neither support nor oppose, which we call a large majority!

3. Paula Thomas 26 Apr 2012, 12:40pm

In the UK and the US most elections are on first past the post. On that basis marriage equality now wins the election! Can we at least agree on that.

1. You’re over-simplifying. In REAL elections, “don’t know” and “no opinion” is not an option. The options are “yes” and “no” so no vote would yield a 47% to 43% result. The results would have to add up to 100%. If you get 47% in an election YOU LOSE. Therefor we can’t know if our side would win based on these numbers. IN FACT, in every single case where this has gone to vote it has lost, including in California and Maine, where in BOTH cases we LOST with 47% (that’s FORTY SEVEN PERCENT) support.

1. You’re math is flawed, I’m afraid.

With a 47%/43% Yes/No divide, removing the “don’t knows” as per your suggestion yields a 52.2% in favour, and 47.8% against.

Hence the majority are in favour.

Its quite simple really.

4. Jesus, lighten up people. I put a smiley face at the end of my post to make it clear that my comment wasn’t serious. But since some people are making an snarky argument that 47% really is a majority depending on the % others polled, I’ll get serious and say that that’s pure hogwash. A majority is 50% + 1 of THOSE POLLED in ANY country, in ANY culture and not understanding that doesn’t change the fact.

I don’t like when anti-gay people fudge numbers and use word play to misrepresent the results of polls. I don’t like it when C4M does it and I don’t like it when people on our side do it.

The facts of this latest poll are positive showing a steady increase in support for marriage equality. They need to be misrepresented. Doing so only discredits the marriage equality movements. I’d prefer to leave such tactics to the anti-gay side.

1. Correction –

…They DON’T need to be misrepresented…

2. We’ll lighten up, when you make an effort to stop covering up your stupidity with smiley faces.

3. It is certainly an encouraging result but clearly there is a long way to go for equality, not just in the US but here in the UK and all over the world.

4. It’s certainly encouraging, especially seeing the constant progress of support of marriage equality through the last few years. But for me it’s hard to call it a “majority” for marriage equality when support is “only” at 47%. The day when support surpasses 50% will be the day we can call it a real majority. A thing that I find confusing is that there was a Gallup Poll last year which showed that 53% were in favor of marriage equality, how does that go together?

5. Bisexual woman in Edinburgh 26 Apr 2012, 11:44am

The 47/43% split that they claim represents all of America is actually the figure for white Americans, who comprise less than 3/4 of Americans in total (please note that they have left out various key ethnic groups such as Hispanics). Either it conveniently happens to coincide with the figures for the whole population, or they are deliberately distorting their figures in an alarmingly racist fashion.

1. Paula Thomas 26 Apr 2012, 12:05pm

I am puzzled and a little disturbed by this too. Could we have a link to the full survey data?

1. Paula Thomas 26 Apr 2012, 12:44pm

Sorry to be replying to my own post but I have now found http://www.people-press.org/2012/04/25/more-support-for-gun-rights-gay-marriage-than-in-2008-or-2004/ which seems to say that the figure for white people and the overall figures are the same!! I suspect the figures for other ethnic minorities (which are not given) might explain the apparent contradiction.

As an asside I find the figure for Catholics very interesting.

1. Bisexual woman in Edinburgh 26 Apr 2012, 3:02pm

Very odd stats. There are no ethnic groups except for “white” and “black” (and according to Wikipedia, the Hispanic population is actually larger than the black population in America), and similarly, no religions except Protestants, Catholics and “unaffiliated” (which should not include Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs or other non-Christian faiths). Though yes, as you pointed out, the Catholics seem to be less opposed to equal marriage than the Protestants, although the latter figure seems to be because of all the evangelicals.

I am wondering whether the ethnicities which have not been mentioned actually have a higher level of support than the white Americans, because I see no other way of getting the “overall” figures to match the “white” figures. In which case this is a fairly biased article. And if not, then their stats are simply incorrect.

I’m very uneasy at the way they are simply referring to people as “whites” and “blacks”, too. It’s not a respectful way of saying it.

6. The US government considers hispanics white as seen on our census forms issued every ten years. The option for white is White, or White Non Hispanic.

1. Oops, should have read White Hispanic or White Non Hispanic. Sorry, my bad.

7. GingerlyColors 27 Apr 2012, 11:24am

47% in favour of marriage equality? Well to get a Constitutional Ammendment against it the likes of Rick Santorum need something like two-thirds to three-quarter of the population to be opposed to marriage equality. People like him are flogging a dead horse and even might as well put money on it in the Kentucky Derby!