Comment: I hope my Equal Marriage film wakes us all up to support changing the law

1. Dr Robin Guthrie 25 Apr 2012, 2:44am

Well done.

I agree that apathy may just well lose us this fight.

It’s all very easy to sit on web forums and type diatribes against those who wish to deny us our rights, however in the end this achieves nothing.

The main protaganists being the Telegraph and the Mail.

Personally, I and my husband, oops sorry, “CIVIL PARTNER” have signed the C4EM petition, spoken directly to our local tory MP who is supportive, albeit with a career minded sucking up to whatever Cameron says.

We and our immediate family and friends have completed both the Home Office consultation as we live in Wales, and also the Holyrood consultation as we are both Scots.

Clearly number wise we cannot compete with organised religion which as the C4E petition shows has the organised network of already present churches and its managers ( Priests / Vicars ) already trained in the art of lies and indoctrination.

As I see it at this time, the more loudly these “opposers” shout, the more they expose their bigotry.

2. I agree apathy is a real problem. It’s also difficult to know who the capaign should be focussing on ,apart from campaigning to get as many people to respond to the consultation and petition.

I’ve written to our MP, Stephen Williams, my dad’s MP Jonathan Edwards and my partners parents’ MP Tessa Munt. They’re all madly enthuisiastic about marriage equality. My family is church of Wales and my partner’s family Quakers. Both are also enthusiastic.

Perhaps we need a list of MPs who are doubtful or a list of lords to focus on?

I think this video is great , just wish British personalities could mention “gay” marriage a bit more so it could be imprinted on people’s mind and it could have more positive media attention.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 25 Apr 2012, 1:04pm

I agree. I’ve contacted MPs, involved my family who are very supportive and have signed the petition and the Government’s consultation. I’ve also posted in here many times the issue of the non-existence of British personalities. It’s extremely important to have their support. One video alone won’t do anything. It’s a good start but totally inadequate. We need far more of them but with a powerful spoken message to convey to the public why equal marriage matters. C4M, the Daily Mail, Telegraph will make hay out of this seeing two soldiers kissing. Most will be revolted of course. It would have been far better if we’d actually heard the marriage proposal spoken.

3. Christopher 25 Apr 2012, 4:00am

It’s bizarre that Canada (remember us? The good son who stayed home to take care of mother?) has Equal Marriage and Britain does not. And we are next to the Excited States!!

Ooo, I am smug….!

1. Robert in S. Kensington 25 Apr 2012, 1:07pm

Christopher, Canada did a far better job than we’re doing. You had better videos, were better organised with powerful messages that everyone could hear. I just don’t see this video doing that much to provoke support. All it will do is embolden our enemies.

1. They also had court cases in 8 of the ten provinces and 1 or the three territories that required marriage equality. Over 90% of Canandians lived in areas where courts had already granted marriage rights before the passage of the Civil Marriage Act. It wasn’t videos that the brought marriage equality to Canada, it was court challenges invoking the Charter of Rights and the Constitution.

2. Yes, indeed, you ARE smug. Six years you’ve had marriage equality, and you’re swanning about as if it’s been decades.

1. Christopher 26 Apr 2012, 12:45pm

When you acheive yours, no one will tear you down. Now get off your ass and do it!

2. Dennis Battler 8 May 2012, 2:38am

tsk tsk Reed, such a stroppy monkey.
        The real issue is Canada’s Charter or Rights (created separate to British Rule) … rights to every person. The legal battle was a formality to change archaic laws inconsistent with the Modern Charter of Rights. The backlash to the change was never going to hold water. Decriminalizing sexual acts between same gender participants occurred in Canada in 1967.
        What this points to is a longer history of legal sanctions FOR same sex relations. Based in an inherent belief in “fairness”. Unfortunately our present Prime Minister is enamored of the jackasses south of our border and deviously dismantling this history of fairness and compassion.
        Hence Reed, marriage equality is one decade not many – one decade longer than England. Must you be such a smarmy git?

3. Dennis Battler 8 May 2012, 3:07am

paving the way for gay marriage has been decades … be patient dear Reed, a few more decades and you may see gay marriage.

May 14, 2009: 40th anniversary of decriminalization of homosexuality in Canada

May 14, 2009 marks the 40th anniversary of the decriminalization of homosexuality in Canada. Xtra.ca asked gay MPs what they thought about the legacy of Bill…

4. This video feels like the wonderful moments of a loving reunion.

The eye contact, the smiles, the hug (wow), the kiss in the sunshine… and the proposal is icing on the cake.

And the music is perfect.

Thank you Mike Buonaiuto!

5. Thank You, Mike.

It is a fabulous – heart warming and honest interpretation of two men loving each other.

I had thought you would not beat the Australian “It’s Time Get Up” commercial – which is very good. I have to say I think you edge it – although both are very good.

I do think we will win the battle for equal marriage, but it is important to not assume this – apathy has been the failure of several issues in the past.

I have signed the C4EM petition, spoken to my Labour MP who is very supportive and responded to the HO consultation – along with a few other bits and pieces.

Thanks for a fabulous film. Lets make it go viral (if you have not posted it on facebook, tweeted it, etc etc – then please do so NOW and ask you friend and contacts to do the same).

6. Just seen the film and loved it! Well done!!

7. … and the director is cute too, what more can you ask for?

1. You’re right – he should be in front of the camera!

8. Can Mike please point me in the direction where I can see his awards? He states he is an ‘award winning’ film maker, only I can only find him ‘shortlisted’ and ‘nominated’.

If he could point me in the direction of where I can see his awards and award winning films id be greatful.

1. Nice concern trolling.

2. DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

9. Don Harrisoin 25 Apr 2012, 10:01pm

Yiou are right,, Apathy is a big problem. How many LGBT+ people feel they can just sit back and wait for Equal Marriage is in the bag. Unfortuately there is a vast homophobic oposion againsti this chance which we have never had before

1. Spanner1960 26 Apr 2012, 2:50pm

I used to be apathetic.
      Now I just can’t be bothered.

10. Yay, let’s have equality for white gay men!

1. er, dare i ask why just ‘white’?

1. You’d need to ask Mike Buonaiuto that, it’s his video

11. I’m sorry I can’t help it but I thought this film was awful .. if the point was to use the medium of film to connect folks to the concept that gays want the same opportunity of PDA’s and marriage – they should have got a better director and actors. Bravo Mike for trying but that was pure ham