Thanet Council votes to support equal marriage

1. Good on Thanet District Council. A huge smack in the face to Roger Gale!

2. Unfortunately this is not as momentous as some people like to think. The topic for this vote was a mask for petty local politics. It represents the political ambitions of a very few Thanet councillors rather than any progress, or otherwise, on gay marriage.

1. Of course it doesn’t mark any progress for marriage equality. But it does show the increasing level of awareness and positivity on the subject, even out here in deepest, darkest Kent.

And of course it was political, it was done at the council! No councillor proposes a motion just for a laugh, there’s always a motive there.

2. It’s a council. Of course local politics is involved. That’s how councils decide what to do. It might not be ‘momentous’ (who said it was?) but it obviously means a lot to Thanet LGBTs, offering them support, visibility and representation in the local community. That’s the bread and butter of LGBT equality and diversity and we could do with a lot more of it across the country.

3. This doesn’t even demonstrate support or representation for Thanet’s LGBTs. The independents who drove this through left their respective parties (Labour and Conservative) for their own ends; this is their latest topic through which they are bolstering their infamy.

There is even talk that they are plotting their next ‘campaign’. No progress on LGBT issues; plenty of progress on a very few councillors’ own misguided political agendas.

1. So let’s get this right, you are responding to a national news report which positively highlights LGBT people and issues in Thanet arguing that the move doesn’t offer Thanet LGBTs representation? Hmmmm. You’re not, by any chance, Sir Roger Gale are you? You are certainly demonstrating his level of irrationality (which is saying something).

1. Yes, Thanet LGBTs are famous (kinda!)! Take that Sir Roger!!!

3. Two thirds of Thanet Council make a public statement in support of same sex couples marrying. Full stop. End of comment.

Issues of local political ambitions etc are largely irrelevant. They publically and demonstratively state their support for same sex couples marrying.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Roger Gale. Who is remarkably silent in comments, perhaps better he stays that way!

4. good to know that the council have moved against Sir Roger Gale, hopefully this experience and his colleagues have educated him on the matter.

5. This means nothing. The decision on how to vote when the vote on marriage equality comes to the house commons will still be Roger Gale’s. I doubt he can be trusted to represent the wishes of the people he represents. If he betrays his Council and his constituents I hope he suffers for it.

1. Maybe it means nothing to you.

I welcome all the allies who support us.

I also like those who humiliate people like Roger Gale!

6. Robert in S. Kensington 20 Apr 2012, 11:56am

I’m so proud of my county, originally from Folkestone. I expect to see more district councils getting on board. Every bit of support counts, no question about it.

1. Folkestone pride!! :) I’m proud too of Kent.

7. bobbleobble 20 Apr 2012, 12:33pm

They’re actually the third council in England, Manchester City Council also voted to support marriage equality and have responded to the consultation in that regard.

1. Sorry, can you like me to that about Manchester City Council? I can’t see it online.

8. bobbleobble 20 Apr 2012, 12:38pm

One way that this could be positive is that Thanet actually has two MPs. Gale represents North Thanet. South Thanet is represented by Laura Sandys. She was part of the new intake in 2010 and could well be swayed to vote for gay marriage by this. That would at least cancel out Gale’s vote against.

Anybody know if she has declared her feelings on the matter publicly?

1. bobbleobble 20 Apr 2012, 12:41pm

I shuold do my own research before posting! Apparently she is yet to decide. She says she’s not against it but hasn’t had anyone lobby her on it. Perhaps now that the council for her constituency has voted to support gay marriage this might sway her vote. Hope so.

1. Doesn’t she read the papers? Do we really all have to turn into Peter Tatchell clones in order to get Tory MPs to ‘wake up and smell the coffee’? Come on Thanet LGBTs, draw straws and get someone to write to the fence-sitter and tell her the war is over.

9. Well I never expected to see this, not in the county that introduced it’s own version of Section 28 when it was removed nationally by Blair’s Government.

My beloved Kent never fails to surprise, and on this occasion, delight me.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 20 Apr 2012, 3:32pm

Where in Kent, Jae? I’m a native of Folkestone although I’ve lived in London since my uni days.

1. Folkestone here too. Spent a few years in London but the pull of the seaside was too much for me and returned home!

1. Robert in S. Kensington 20 Apr 2012, 9:13pm

Isn’t that an amazing coincidence? I don’t get down there much since both parents are long gone. My last time was in 2001. Maybe one of these days I’ll take a day trip to see how much has changed. I do miss the sea air though have to admit and strolling along the east cliff on Wear Bay Road looking out across the channel.

2. That law was due to the homophobic “Baron Bruce-Lockhart, of The Weald in the County of Kent”.

However, he died back in 2008 so things have changed since then.

10. Awww! So SO nice to read about something so positive. Well done, Thanet.

11. Andy Brettell 20 Apr 2012, 2:45pm

Thanet District Council has lit a beacon for decency and commonsense. For true Equality.
    Let’s hope Julian Brazier and the homophobic Canterbury City Council are able see the light!

12. Cheshire East / Cheshire West and Chester next ?

13. GingerlyColors 20 Apr 2012, 3:13pm

I recommend Ramsgate as a seaside holiday destination. It is just round the corner from the Cockney holiday mecca of Margate and has some good beaches, pubs and is not far from the ferry ports – you may even be able to catch a ferry direct from Ramsgate to either France or Belgium. Inland is some of Kent’s finest countryside.

14. I well remember the Trotter’s ‘beano’ to Margate in The Jolly Boys’ Outing. Actually, I remember the pain of my sides splitting when their coach blew up!! Pretty much the funniest thing I’ve ever seen on telly!

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSWfArGITto

he, he, he!!!

There was a gay character in that episode (‘The Great Raymondo’!) but unfortunately he was not represented very positively (thanks to the likes of Roger Gale who have long manipulated our institutions into misrepresenting LGBTs as inferior and socially troublesome). The BBC has a bad record on this score altogether but I forgive them everything when it comes to OFAH, still the greatest comedy the world has ever known.