Video: New teaser for equal marriage ad

1. well done to Mr Cameron!

2. Galadriel1010 18 Apr 2012, 12:48pm

I preferred the GetUp one from Australia – it was far more eloquent and powerful and had 100% less David Cameron, which is always a bonus.

1. This isn’t the final advert…

1. Paddyswurds 18 Apr 2012, 2:22pm

That’s probably why it says “new teaser” in the headline…duh!

2. I thought the GetUp advert was fantastic.

This is just a teaser (and I don’t think Mr Cameron is what the advert is all about when the full version is released, from what I have read)

3. Robert in S. Kensington 18 Apr 2012, 1:05pm

I’m afraid Connor and his partner need more than one video to get the message out. Australian and American marriage equality videos are far more powerful and in America have been very successful in states where equal marriage is now legal. We need to involve celebrities who have a larger appeal than politicians among the younger generation. The first video should have been released the very first day of the consultation followed by several more. Having just one over the course of the year and beyond isn’t going to do much. C4M will retaliate with an even broader campaign including numerous videos, you can count on that. It has unlimited resources, is well organised and better connected. It already has access to 40 MPs and a few Peers. I’ve already communicated this to C4EM shortly after the consultation began.

1. C4EM is one guy and his partner – I’ve been trying to help, but people are too apathetic. It’s brilliant that people aren’t bothered whether we have SSM or not, but against the 400K+ strong C4M? It’s disappointing.

Stonewall have run an ad on buses in London, but with only a small tagline with their marriage URL. Useless. Doesn’t get the message out.

C4EM need help. I’ve written to my MP in Manchester, it got through to his office, but I’ve heard nothing since.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 18 Apr 2012, 2:24pm

James, absolutely, the apathy is appalling. Many are gay couples already in a CP who think just as Bradshaw does, that it’s not a priority and we really don’t need it.

The ad on buses too was very disappointing. If I’d had any say in it, I would have made sure that EQUAL CIVIL MARRIAGE were the central part of the display. StonewallUK could have done a far better job in my view and why do we only have one organisation supposedly representing all of us in the UK?

It’s good that you contacted your MP as I did mine but like you, haven’t received any word in response. I urge everyone to do it. Why on earth are we not hearing from our celebrities? Does their silence mean they oppose it I wonder? Can you imagine the impact that David & Victoria Beckham could have on the younger generation, Jessie J, Adele and many more? I’m surprised people like Kenneth Branagh, Emma Thompson, Judi Dench, Ewan McGregor haven’t spoken up. I can’t believe they wouldn’t support it.

4. I can’t wait for the full film to be released next week :)

1. me too!

5. Stuart Neyton 18 Apr 2012, 1:27pm

I’m glad Cameron is pushing this cause and it was a really good speech he made on this, but i don’t think it’s appropriate for an advert to promote the cause.

We need real people, families, couples etc on screen to push this rather than politicians who polarise, and kind of prove C4M’s point that it’s the political class imposing it on an unsupporting population.

I agree with Galadriel1010, the GetUp at in Australia was fantastic and something similar here would be perfect.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 18 Apr 2012, 2:14pm

Exactly right! Videos are far more powerful as long as the message is strong and to the point. A lot of people don’t really know who we are, how are daily lives are affected especially those with families of their own. We also need one to debunk C4M’s hateful rhetoric regarding polygamy and incest if equal marriage is legalised. I hate using the word “if” in the previous sentence. My confidence to substitute “when” instead of “if” is due to the lack of organisation, passion and determination to counter the opposition who appear to be far better organised at getting their message out long before the consultation began. C4EM’s petition is only just more than 46,200, what does that say about support? Very disheartening.

6. Agree that while the PM’s support is fantastic, and I applaud his speech on it, something like the GetUp Its Time video would be FAR more powerful then 60 seconds of listening to one man give his views.

Something that portrays the human aspect; the actual social need, not just the political desire, for this legislation to go through. It would just be so much more powerful.

7. David Waite 18 Apr 2012, 2:18pm

Perhaps some of the expert advertising critics on PN comment threads could help the 2 man C4EM outfit with something more material, such as volunteering clips to be used in future ads, and money to advertise. As an American citizen I feel my signature would be improper, but I will certainly include a donation to C4EM in my May budget. It won’t be much (it will come from my retirement check) but it will have more effect than criticizing these guys on a PN comment thread.

1. David Waite 18 Apr 2012, 2:47pm

I just attempted to send this message to C4EM but received a message from yahoo mail that info@c4em.org.uk (which is the only contact address I could find on their website) is an invalid address.
      “Dear C4EM Activists,
      I am an American citizen in Cleveland, Ohio, USA. Please tell me whether you accept donations from outside the UK, and (if you do) where I can send a small contribution. I’m a disabled and retired 70 year old on Social Security, so it won’t be much and will have to wait for my monthly checks, but I’d like to help, financially and in any other appropriate way. Please feel free to post this email (sans my address of course) in any forum you deem fit.
      Sincerely,
      David Waite [davidincleveland]”
      If anyone knows a valid donation or contact email for C4EM, please post it. Thank you.

1. Hi David,

Mike here – the director of the film released next week.

Please send your email to conormarron@gmail.com and say I sent you.

Thanks for your support :)

8. We need this to be a UK-wide Act. Not just England & Wales!

I’ve emailed my MLAs & MPs but they just brush me off with supporting equality blah blah blah. Northern Ireland will never ever legalise gay marriage :(

1. Its a devolved power, but yes N Ireland should have it too!

9. Not a massive fan of Mr Cameron, every now and then though he does something worthwhile. Thank you David.